Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
My Workout DVD Reviews

So here are some video reviews for the videos I've done in the last few days as a person that hasn't exercised much in the past 2 years. Add your own video reviews here!

Please note that you'll find much more informative reviews on Amazon :

Callanetics Evolution ($22 on Amazon)- Callanetics is very interesting! It involves very little movements (like holding your leg up and pulsing it an inch 100 times). It is definitely more modern than the clips I've seen of "10 years younger". There are 3 women in the video to show variations/modifications depending on your fitness level. This is all muscle work and no cardio at all. It's like you are a statue. It is very "pleasant". There is a lot of time spent stretching so it isn't a straight workout for the one hour. I think I'll try to learn all the poses and positions by doing it 2 or 3 more times and then do them while watching TV. Callanetics is good for a beginner because you can skip some of the "reps" if it gets too taxing for your muscles.

Pilates Conditioning for Weight Loss ($7 on Amazon - I picked this up at my local thrift store)- The word "Pilates" sounds so cool that I just had to try it. Very easy exercises - almost too easy. I wanted to take a nap during it. There are 3 women on mats doing 3 different levels. The scenery is very beautiful - it's outside in Hawaii or somewhere. It's a good spiritual type of thing where you become more aware of your body and breathing. You don't probably get much benefit out of the 60 minute workout. There are two 45 minute ones on the DVD, too, that are supposed to be more advanced but I haven't tried them yet. For the one I did, I don't think my arms got enough work.

Fit and Firm Pilates Made Simple with Merilu Henner (about $5 on Amazon-This has been in my cabinet for about 6 years) - I liked this one better than the one above because there is also some work using hand weights. It is only 30 minutes long so they get right into it faster than the one above. It's good if you have a time crunch. There is no cardio in Pilates or Callanetics so you won't work up a sweat.

Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga with Bob Harper ($7 on Amazon ) - He is much nicer than Jillian. I like this video but it really reminds me how uncoordinated I am! I tend to fall over more than I should. There are different segments on the DVD and you can check off which ones you want to add to your "menu". It is much more challenging than Pilates. If you did the warm up, all 3 yoga levels, and the cool down, it would add up to 55 minutes.

30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels ($7 on Amazon ) - Cardio, weights, and Abs, oh my! This DVD is hard and effective! Jillian is tough and supportive at the same time. I definitely worked up a sweat and was thankful when I made it to the end. The workout is only about 22 minutes long. If you want a lot of bang for your buck, do this one! As an out of shape person, this one about kills me. Hand weight are used at certain points.

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism with Jillian Michaels ($6 on Amazon ) - Major cardio - mostly leg work, a lot of kickboxing moves, etc. I definitely worked up a sweat but I didn't think my arms got much of a workout. For that reason, I liked the 30 Day Shred Better. This video is longer - 50 minutes total including the 5 minute warm up and the 5 minute cool down. Maybe that's why I liked the 30 Day Shred better!

Ones I have but haven't tried yet:

Louise Solomon's Yoga & Pilates ($3 on Amazon)

No More Trouble Zones with Jillian Michaels ($7 on Amazon)

Core Fusion Body Sculpt ($7 on Amazon) - I'm doing this one tonight. I want a booty like the woman on the DVD cover!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Your Callanetics Evolution DVD has arrived then?
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes I got it Tuesday night and did it Wednesday. I haven't done it again yet because I want to try the others I have.

I did this one tonight:

Core Fusion Body Sculpt ($7 on Amazon) -It is almost like Callenetics. First you do a lot of arm work with weights (Ouch), then leg lifts in different positions (a strain on my back), and then ab work. It was a very challenging DVD! During certain leg lifts, my leg was actually shaking! If you have knee or back issues, this may not be the best one.

Once I get through these last 2 DVDs, I'll go back to Callanetics and probably the 30 Day Shred.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
I have 30 day shred - some of her moves I don't like (weird side lunges, bad for my knees!) so I do variations of them.

I do also have her Six Week Six Pack one - that one is crazy! You literally don't stop moving, and then you repeat the circuit at DOUBLE speed! Good cardio/abs workout.
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah Jillian doesn't reallly cut you a break, does she? I can't quite keep up with her but I try!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
i love jillians nmtz....i can do all of the moves and it's very effective, i alternate between this and 30day shred...everyother day like...thanks for the other reviews tho i always wondered how bob was in comparison because he can be a meany on biggest loser sometimes....thanks!!! have fun!!!
mayleesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Julie - you are wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your reviews and experiences with these DVDs. So very helpful to those of us who are REALLY out of shape but need to get going on something. I'm really interested in learning more about callanetics, so I might get that. Don't know about that sadist Jillian. Might have to skip those...
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
thanks for the reviews julie.

i have 30 day shred and the metabolism boosting one from jillian.

hubby has to work early so i cant make it to the gym so i may give shred a try tomorrow morning.

ironically since i have been making it a priority to get the gym i have become sort of obsessed and feel off if i dont get a workout in the morning.

never thought i would say that
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
My 10 years younger one is still coming. I got it cheap off Ebay so I hope it works out. Keep us posted on your callanetics evolution dvd Julie.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote