Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Its so Great To have Clothing Choices Again! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/755151-its-so-great-have-clothing-choices-again.html)

Joedi 01-26-2012 03:46 PM

Its so Great To have Clothing Choices Again!

Went out tonight for DH's birthday..a pantomine...we are both big kids at heart!

As I was getting ready, I was thinking just how nice it was to have choices when it came to my going out outfit.

Skirt and long boots? jeans, heels and a pretty shirt? A dress? And which skirt/jeans dress?

It is so much fun to try on different outfits and combinations of items, and to know each one will fit, and look good.

(I ended up in a calf length flippy, flirty skirt, in shades of green, with hot pink splashes...a little hot pink sweater, and long black boots)

At my heaviest, I had 2 outfits, that i felt at my least big in, and they got rotated for every event!

99% of my clothes come from thrift stores...and I cant stop treating myself..:hyst: after all it only cost a few for a whole new outfit..my DH is actually planning to strengthen the rail in my wardrobe, as it is starting to bend! :hyst:

Its nights like this that keep me going on difficult days....I am having the most awful PMT and tom gain this month, but I still managed to feel good (which greatly reduces the risk of me biting anyones head off!)

hugs
Jo
x

SoHappy 01-26-2012 03:51 PM

What a fun post, Jo! It's just plainly more fun to shop for clothing when you can buy cute little things because you have a cute little figure. Somehow, so many of the cute things I always saw in the stores didn't translate well into the *larger* sizes. :sad:

But JUDDD has folks shopping for the little sizes pretty quickly, and your post here helps us all with motivation to adhere to our calorie numbers to get good weight loss for ourselves, or to keep us maintaining where we're happy.

I'll bet you look just fabulous! :up:

sophiethecat 01-26-2012 04:06 PM

Most of my clothes come from Goodwill lately, and I love that I can save money and have "new" clothes all the time! :)

Your outfit sounds lovely and I hope you had a wonderful time celebrating your DH's bday! :jumpjoy: :birthday: to him!

If you're up for it, would love to see pics of your outfits! I am fashion-challenged :laugh: and always like to see real women's ideas of good things to wear.

Joedi 01-26-2012 04:24 PM

didnt get any pics tonight, but will try and set out a few of my outfits and photograph them.....this was recommended by a fashion mag I once read, take photos of different combinations of your clothes, keep them on your pc...and skim through for ideas on what to wear when you are in a hurry! Great idea, but I have never been organised enough to do it!

hugs
Jo
x

KeirasMom 01-26-2012 04:35 PM

Goodwill. What a great idea. I'm not into brands or anything, but we didn't have much money when I was a kid and we HAD to shop there. As an adult, it never occurred to me that I could shop there for "transition" outfits. :confused: I'm thinking a shopping trip is in order since I only have a couple of things that fit.

Jo, you always look great in your pictures. I can't wait to get to a small enough size where I feel good about my fashion choices. I may have to steal some of your ideas. I have some very cute long, black boots and I was thinking about a nice just-below-the knee skirt to wear them with. Keep in mind I haven't worn a skirt in years!

Thanks for the fun post!

SoHappy 01-26-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15364653)
Goodwill. What a great idea. I'm not into brands or anything, but we didn't have much money when I was a kid and we HAD to shop there. As an adult, it never occurred to me that I could shop there for "transition" outfits. :confused: I'm thinking a shopping trip is in order since I only have a couple of things that fit.

Jo, you always look great in your pictures. I can't wait to get to a small enough size where I feel good about my fashion choices. I may have to steal some of your ideas. I have some very cute long, black boots and I was thinking about a nice just-below-the knee skirt to wear them with. Keep in mind I haven't worn a skirt in years!

Thanks for the fun post!

My mother would have rolled over in her grave, as they were very poor during the Great Depression, and it made her feel shame to have to buy anything secondhand, as she was a child then and didn't understand.

I, on the other hand, discovered that once-in-awhile you can find articles of clothing at the GoodWill and other thrift shops that have been donated, obviously from somebody who had a MUCH LARGER clothing budget than I've ever had! So you go through the racks, junk..junk..trash..icky..junk..FABULOUS TREASURE OF A FIND... :laugh:

It's fun to go treasure hunting at those places if you have the time.

mykidsteacher 01-26-2012 07:12 PM

Goodwill/Salvation Army is GREAT when you are still losing. I bought some jeans back in Dec because my 10's were falling off me. And a couple of them are getting a bit baggy. I won't mind letting them go, since I didn't pay more than $2 for any of them.

I found some really cute tops too, that are figure flattering, rather than just baggy and loose like everything else I own.

I even bought a couple of belts, because I LOVE tucking my shirts in now, and never used to.

gotsomeold 01-27-2012 02:46 AM

I am, and have been, a thrift store addict for years.

Recently the Goodwill I adore near Atlanta must have gotten a remainders donation because they had a gazillion designer jackets in all sizes. I have never bought 'someday' sizes before, but I went wild. Bought eight jackets in too-small sizes. Retail over $1000. I spent $40. I am SO planning to enjoy those outfits soon!

MLE 01-27-2012 05:10 AM

Awesome, Jo! I totally feel the excitement along with you as I am getting back into my college wardrobe!
I have yet to find a thrift store here in the French Riviera. Asked my neighbor and she had never even heard of the concept! In the States, GoodWill and Salvation Army were saving graces for clothes during the "transition" back to my pre-pregnancy wardrobe. I refused to spend full price on something that was only going to fit for a few months!

Karen925 01-27-2012 05:53 AM

WTG!!!! Enjoy, enjoy:shake:

I love my cute wardrobe too. Shopping is a genuine pleasure. I was given advice from a friend who has successfully maintained a very large weight (+150#) for over 6 years. She suggested a full length mirror. It both helps in dressing and in Maintanence. It is harder to be in denial when one can see everything.

To be fair in giving credit, her name is Phylis Collins, JD. She was a website & utube channel should one care to find her.

vilanteira 01-27-2012 11:32 AM

Oh, I definitely understand the feeling! I seriously had the same 2-3 outfits (one favorite long skirt in particular) that I felt like I looked less horrible in that I would rotate for events as well. :o

The one good thing about being a packrat is that I own quite a bit of clothing in 5 different sizes, and haven't actually had to go out and buy new clothes while I lost weight (and size) this time. I'll have to when I reach my ideal size though, because the clothes from when I was that small were from so long ago that they got purged before I moved to where I live now. It's a great feeling to be able to have so many choices though. I love trying new styles and cute clothes too! :)

julietcc 01-28-2012 12:12 PM

Yes it's the best part of being thin. Whatever you wear looks pretty good. It's expensive buying new clothes, though. I do have several pair of jeans from the thrift store - Lucky for $4, etc.

artemis19 01-28-2012 12:50 PM

Well you know the old saying, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels"! As a fat kid growing up I always had to wear whatever fit which was never what other kids were wearing. In the grand scheme of things, what you wear is not that important but I just wanted to be able to pick out something that I liked. Now I have the CHOICE and it feels great! Thanks for posting!

KathyL 01-28-2012 03:57 PM

I'm right there with you. At my heaviest I had 2 *nicer* outfits that I rotated. For everyday it was elastic waist jeans and oversized tshirts. Can you say *frumpy*? LOL

Now I have too many choices (if that's even possible LOL). And I LOVE to shop! LOL I have a few favorite consignment shops and thrift stores that I frequent. Especially when I was steadily losing it was nice to know that if what I bought didn't fit in a few weeks it was not a big deal. I'd re-donate and find something new. LOL I told my dh that I am making up for all those years I rarely bought clothing.