Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Adding DD calories to UD?

Howdy,
My numbers from the JUDDD site for a 125# weight shows an UD 1500 cal and a DD of 745 cal for 50% maintanence. For 60% maintanence, they are UD=1500 cal, DD= 900 cal. I have at least one 24 hour fasting day on Friday (no breakfast or lunch, only dinner), and sometimes a second one on Monday if I have been traveling over the weekend. I was wondering, especially on the fasting days, when the calorie limit is 500 or less, can I add the extra calories of 245 or 400 (depending on the whether it is 50% or 60%) so that the UD is 1745 or 1900 cal? An experiment n=1 is in progress to know for sure, but I was wondering if others have shifted "unused"calories from one day to the next. The calorie average is still the same but the meal enjoyed is, of course, larger.
Thanks,

Last edited by Karen925; 01-25-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
JUDDD is a use them or lose them WOE. With WW you can carry those "points/calories" over to another day because you are basically eating the same calories day in and day out. On JUDDD we eat restricted or fasting calories one day and then more calories the next so we are not doing the same calories every day and this is why JUDDD works as it does.

So, I have never carried any unused calories over to an UD. I suppose it could be done, but I'm thinking it may slow your loss down, if you loss at all.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
But, Beeb... I think she is in maintenance now. I think...

And if that's the case, she will have wa-y-y-y-y more freedom and leeway than those still trying to make the plan work weight loss and health benefits for them. I still remember you having to up the calories, up the calories, up the calories until you could stop losing even more weight than you wanted to!

Karen, I think is just one of those things you are going to have to play by ear. Do you want to incorporate fasting into your maintenance for the health benefits? I do some.

And you're right, this allows me to be able to eat at a much higher UD calorie level than I'd be able to do if I had, instead.. increased my DD calorie number much.

Try adding in your DD calories to your UD number and have fun. If you weight each morning, it won't be too long before you will know if this is just fine or whether it's going to lead to tragedy. My guess is that it will be just fine. Good luck! Enjoy your maintenance!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
In maintenance, if you check the JUDDD calculator at higher %'s, it raises your DD calorie numbers instead of your UD numbers. I was always like at this. Seems like you could borrow from your DD numbers, especially if you didn't use them at all, to eat more on UDs.

If you try it, let us know how you like it, Karen.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
But, Beeb... I think she is in maintenance now. Enjoy your maintenance!
Yeah, 21 months and counting in my trim, thin body! It is a pleasure!

I have already found that calorie cycling has allowed me to eat an average of calories higher than a steady low cal/ low carb pattern. I have also found that my afternoon hunger has been abated with my fasting and DDs.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
If you try it, let us know how you like it, Karen.
Will do.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the Speedy replies. I am enjoying JUDDD and this site greatly
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try adding in your DD calories to your UD number and have fun. If you weight each morning, it won't be too long before you will know if this is just fine or whether it's going to lead to tragedy. My guess is that it will be just fine.
I weigh myself and my food every day for this very reason. I am open to trying new things while keeping my eye on the "bottom line" so to speak.

I am also incorporating fasting into the plan. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time but did not know of a good platform on which to build.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
But, Beeb... I think she is in maintenance now. I think...

And if that's the case, she will have wa-y-y-y-y more freedom and leeway than those still trying to make the plan work weight loss and health benefits for them. I still remember you having to up the calories, up the calories, up the calories until you could stop losing even more weight than you wanted to!

Karen, I think is just one of those things you are going to have to play by ear. Do you want to incorporate fasting into your maintenance for the health benefits? I do some.

And you're right, this allows me to be able to eat at a much higher UD calorie level than I'd be able to do if I had, instead.. increased my DD calorie number much.

Try adding in your DD calories to your UD number and have fun. If you weight each morning, it won't be too long before you will know if this is just fine or whether it's going to lead to tragedy. My guess is that it will be just fine. Good luck! Enjoy your maintenance!
You are correct about me upping my calories when I got to maintenance, but I never fasted on my DDs and then added those calories to my UDs OR used less on my DDs and added those unused calories onto my UDs. I upped the calories on both DDs/UDs until I found a combo that kept me at the weight I wanted to be. I also remember reading the "use them or lose them" comment coming from you, Pat in another thread where someone was asking this same question about using the unused calories from their DDs on their UDs.

I'm not saying doing what the OP is talking about is not something a person could do, but I have never seen or read about it anywhere on this site, in the book or another site I have look at about JUDDD.

I, too am curious to see how this works for the OP in maintenance and how she does this.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
You are correct about me upping my calories when I got to maintenance, but I never fasted on my DDs and then added those calories to my UDs OR used less on my DDs and added those unused calories onto my UDs. I upped the calories on both DDs/UDs until I found a combo that kept me at the weight I wanted to be. I also remember reading the "use them or lose them" comment coming from you, Pat in another thread where someone was asking this same question about using the unused calories from their DDs on their UDs.

I'm not saying doing what the OP is talking about is not something a person could do, but I have never seen or read about it anywhere on this site, in the book or another site I have look at about JUDDD.

I, too am curious to see how this works for the OP in maintenance and how she does this.
Yes, that was what I suggested would be the best way to go for someone still in weight loss mode. Use them or lose them is certainly the goal then, else you're dinking around with the whole idea. Might still work out OK, but might not. I just figure, follow the plan more like it's written, at least while you're still aiming for weight loss.

I still don't think it's a great idea. Just probably something what could work OK, but also probably needs to be proved for any of us thinking of doing this in our maintenance. For myself, I just opt to do the DDs, keeping them still pretty darned low, and eating as high as I can or wish to on UDs without weight gain. Sure gives me some great UDs that way!

I think by keeping to the numbers during weight loss, and always trying to eat up to the calorie ceiling and even pushing beyond it if weight loss could be kept going, really did pay off with me burning calories better now in my older age than I did years ago.

But Karen will be our guinea pig for this. I can't recommend it, but think it may work for her just fine. We'll see.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
I know that quite a few people in maintenance - pay attention to their DD cals, keeping them 500 - 800 and then enjoy Free Days on your UD.

I wouldn't call it 'borrowing' - I would call it finding what works for you to maintain!!

As someone in weight loss mode - I won't be borrowing!! However, I have every intention of not reducing my UD cals unless my weight loss slows down - I may not always eat the 2200 - but anywhere between 1800 and 2200 will do for now!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the Speedy replies. I am enjoying JUDDD and this site greatly
Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I think the body has a calorie burn above which we gain weight. How the calorie limit is affected by carbs is one consideration. Some other questions I have for JUDDD is, "Does calorie cycling increase this calorie burn? Does fasting help raise this number? Does JUDDD give me a base to discern and if so implement these helps?"

So long as the calorie average is below or at the burn level, one will either lose or maintain. I have experimented with eating as low as possible on DD, shifting those calories, which are still somewhat vague, to UD with my eye to the overall weekly average.

After reviewing my data from November, and insights from others, it appears to work. Weighed in at 124.4# this morning. Too low for me:-) These observations are not long enough to prove causality, but it is long enough to continue trying aspects of JUDDD with very positive results. How cool to be a low weight in January, the beginning of the diet season for many.

Beeb, your cautions are valid. When I was losing steadily, some thought to quick but after seeing loss rates here mine was simliar, I adhered strictly to my burn level. This forced me to learn to enjoy foods that were good for me at appropriate levels and to develop strategies in a variety of social settings. If I had gotten "losey goosey" with my calorie limits, I would still be fat.

Off to lunch with DDs and horse back riding on a lovely day in TX. My lifestyle is something I treasure dearly, something I do not take for granted, and with caution introduce new elements.

Again, I find this site a true resource in my journey.