Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
So, here's the results of the pie:

I finished lunch at 1:20-it included a hamburger patty, 1 tbsp ketchup, salad with leaf lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, cashews and ranch dressing, and was followed by 1/2 piece of pie (pie cut in 8 pieces, one of those cut in half) and 2 tbsp cool whip.

Pre meal--86
1:50 106
2:20 108
2:40 158
2:50 135
3:10 146
3:28 141
3:45 150 at this point I decided some exercise might be in order, so dh and I went out for a walk to the back pasture to look at cows.
4:30 85
5:30 98 (I had had a bit of almond butter coconut oil bark between these last 2 readings)

So, yeah. sigh. Guess I won't be eating any more pie. I don't know if I should go back to no grains/sugar/starch, or slowly add back limited amounts so I'm not so sensitive to them.

I'll be having an appt with my naturopath in the next couple of weeks and will def be bringing this up with him.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

I think I've decided to just not have the grains/sugar for now. And see what the naturo says when I talk to him. Wondering if all this messing around with carbs is why I'm stuck and not losing anything. I'd rather lose the last few pounds, get in maintenance, and then figure out what I can and can't add back. I may still do a few checks just to make sure my favorite paleo meals don't cause me any bg issues, but I suspect they will be fine.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I'd love to hear what the naturopath says after you go, Tina.

Interestingly enough--and I'm not necessarily advocating consumption of grains here, I've just been dancing with the devil a bit as it were --my sugar readings have been coming down. I've been consuming anywhere between 20 and 60 carbs for months before this week. This week my up days have ranged between 40g and 120g with yesterday being the most carbs/sugar I've had in quite some time. Earlier in the week I had a few high 45 minute/1 hour readings after eating a roll (Kings Hawaiian ). My initial readings shot up over 140 but were under the 120 mark two hours later. Still, no bueno. This was several days ago when I was first back on the carbs.

Then last night (and again, my carbs are basically going from 20 and under on down days back up to 100 or so on up days sometimes) I had mac&cheese for the first time in a year, followed by two Pillsbury cinnamon buns (my husband was definitely wondering what the heck since I've totally hooked him on low carb/paleo now ). I tested at 20 minutes, 45 minutes, an hour, 90 minutes, and two hours and the peek was 138 and it came down to 110. Strange, huh? I don't know if just the few days back on the sauce has created the tolerance for carbs again or what. And whether said tolerance is desirable or the gateway drug to debauchery remains to be seen. So far I do feel in control though I doubt I'll be eating more highly refined cinnamon buns in the future. I'm really thinking of mostly sticking to "safe starches" and remaining in the 70-100g carb zone but for now I'm just focusing on the calories and adjusting.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting Temple. Thanks for adding your experience. I've wondered if adding back the safer starches would initially create spikes, but then allow for more tolerance. It appears for you maybe, it has.

My UD's have been between 70 and 80g the past week or so. Prior to that, more like 45-65.

I'll def let you know what the naturo has to say.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

I really do think that the initial spikes would go away. Everything I've read on Chris Kresser's site and elsewhere seems to suggest that. It's very interesting! I will also add that even on the lower carb days I'd been doing this year whenever I included potatoes (small portions, always with protein and fat) I've done well with my readings and it has not created cravings or hunger. I really believe for me and for many there's a big difference between potatoes and wheat.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Def, and between potatoes, wheat and sugar.

I had beef veggie soup last night that had sweet potato chunks in it, and my bs was very stable after (granted it was half dozen chunks, but my numbers soared with 1/2 tsp of jelly a few days ago).

I'm also torn because I do a lot of reading on Mercola, and read Taubes, as well as info on Mark's Daily Apple, and there seems to be a lot of recent research that grains are simply not good for us, even if they don't spike bg numbers. So I'm torn on whether I even want to worry about including them. Honestly, after not eating grain since August, I really don't miss it terribly. Especially since I have some yummy almond flour alternatives. (and all of my gastric issues have completely resolved without it and sugar in my life).

The other issue is, I've been on JUDDD for almost 3 weeks and haven't lost but a pound, and I'm really ready to see some losses. I don't think that will happen as long as I'm playing around with the grain/sugar/potato carbs.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I do agree. Though my noshing on a white roll this week might indicate otherwise, it's truly surprising how much I have not missed bread and pasta this year.

I have a long way to go so I should be seeing more losses soon on JUDDD (first four days have just been a bounce-fest). You should see some as well since being close to goal weight doesn't seem to slow the JUDDD Buds down at all.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Couple more experiments to report.

Last night, I had spicy beef enchiladas, and decided to actually have it on a tortilla. Got some Carb Balance tortillas. They are supposed to be 6 net carb grams. Apparently, that didn't matter.

Finished at 7:21
8:20 128
9:55 137 (missed the 2 hour due to getting little on in bed)--should not have been this high 2 1/2 hours after finishing. (and to make it even more crazy, I poked a little too hard so bled more than usual, and decided to retest with the same poke. Got 158! One more test seconds later, same spot gave 133. What's up with THAT?!)
10:30 128 (still not under 120 at 3 hours post prandial

Then, breakfast this morning--finished at 8:30
2 eggs, 1 sausage patty, 1/2 bagel thin with butter and 1 tsp Polaner all fruit strawberry

Fasting 84
9:15 136
9:40 107
10:46 100

So if I'd only had 1 and 2 hr readings, I would have thought no problem. But that 136 at 45 minutes makes me wonder--especially for just 1 tsp of jelly! (sugar in 1 tbsp is only 6g).
Old 02-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Oh yikes! I went to a baby shower this afternoon. Had a piece of cake. Bad, bad, bad.

My 1 hr reading was 107. Thought maybe I got away with it. 2 hr--177! Eep.

Ok, I get it. NO sugar! I'm going to exercise and see if I can get that down.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Just curious, how have you done with sweet potatoes or rice? I read that these are generally a "safe starch". I know you're done with the grains and sugars, for now at least, but wondered if you'd tested after one or the other in the past?

Last edited by sophiethecat; 02-09-2012 at 10:26 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I haven't tried testing sweet potatoes or rice yet. I can have half a small potato without too much trouble. And today I'm testing one slice of bread with breakfast.

My overall framework for carbs is the Insulin Resistant Diet, which allows 30 grams carb per meal with at least 15 grams protein. The times when my blood sugar rocketed I ate WAY more than that carb-wise, or I ate the carbs on an empty stomach.

As for this morning, FBG of 97, after a DD. The pattern remains.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Fasting this am 84.

I had HUGE issues with rice, even brown rice when I was pg with my dd. 1/2 cup and my bg was still going up 3 hours after eating. So I'm really leery of going anywhere near it.

I did test 1/2 white potato and it was ok. The sweet potato happened at the same meal I ate an almond flour pumpkin muffin, so no way to know which was the issue of if it was the 2 together. I'll test sweet pot alone again one of these days.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, breakfast toast experiment worked well. Had scrambled eggs w/mushrooms, coffee w/cream, and a slice of toasted cheese bread with lots o'butter.

1 hour, BG was 110
2 hour, 101
3 hours (because the high fat content might have delayed a spike), 110.

So I guess I can tolerate one slice of bread so long as it's part of a meal with protein.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Good to know! I can tolerate about 10g of wheat with butter and other protein too. I'm just choosing not to eat it right now. But it's good to know I CAN if I want to.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

Just re-read through this whole thread because I had a loopy BG day on Thurs. I hadn't been checking BG for over a month, and Thurs. I just had this feeling like I should be doing it again.

I had Better n Oats instant strawberries & cream oatmeal and then a protein shake made with whole milk. Later in the day I had a large meal of bacon cheeseburger, Doritos, apple, 1 GS Thin Mint cookie, berries & plain yogurt. I can't find where I wrote the numbers down, but after both of these meals, I caught my BG in the 140s and 150s! Never ever caught my numbers this high before, although I'm sure in all the years and times I've gone without testing it has happened. Put the fear in me and I've decided to keep an eye on things again.

Anyway, after seeing these numbers, I got on the rebounder and just two minutes of easy bouncing and the BG numbers dropped way back down.

Before, when I was testing frequently about a month or so ago, I was having high FBG in the a.m. but normal PP numbers, although they took more than 2 hours to go back to the baseline area, usually an additional 15 minutes or so to get back down there.

Maybe my insulin resistance is firing up.

I wish I knew more about how all this works.

Oats must be evil to me. I'm not even that into oatmeal, but just was in the mood for it lately and thought the Better n Oats would be better for me than Quaker.

I haven't caught my BG at a high number since Thursday despite eating meals that included french fries, ketchup, and other carbs. It's been fine, but I'm going to start checking at 30 min. and 45 min. out PP to make sure. For example, after my b'fast at Bob Evans of 1 egg, 2 sausage links, and about 1/2 c. grits, it was fine, but perhaps the grits had it soaring when I didn't catch it.

Anyone have updates? Tina, Temple, Synger, Jenny?
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 03-17-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #76
Major LCF Poster!

I ran out of strips, but had gone back to strict paleo, so wasn't really checking.

I have a couple of trigger foods that send me to the moon--bananas and rice of any kind, and apparently, grapes. Oats may be that for you.

Now that I have to avoid eggs and dairy, I've been on the search for ideas for breakfast. I've settled on 2 sausage patties and a bowl of blueberries/strawberries with coconut milk and a couple drops of stevia. This is a GREAT meal for me bs-wise. 112 at 1 hr and 111 at 2 pp. And it keeps me full for a long time. A nice balance of protein, fat and carb.

Experimenting with some grain-free, vegan baking, using coconut sugar, and that has done well for me as well.

Def keep an eye on those readings Sophie. That's the sort of thing I was seeing when I was experimenting. Maybe keep a paper food log, where you can write your numbers right next to the meal. It might help to see any trends or problem foods that way. Keep us informed.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Now that I have to avoid eggs and dairy, I've been on the search for ideas for breakfast. I've settled on 2 sausage patties and a bowl of blueberries/strawberries with coconut milk and a couple drops of stevia. This is a GREAT meal for me bs-wise. 112 at 1 hr and 111 at 2 pp. And it keeps me full for a long time. A nice balance of protein, fat and carb.

Experimenting with some grain-free, vegan baking, using coconut sugar, and that has done well for me as well.
I was on a diabetes board where someone was asking what to server her vegan husband for breakfast. He was getting tired of tofu scramble. Ideas included flax/almond cooked cereal, flax pancakes with berries, smoothies with everything from pumpkin to nut butters, and leftover dinner from the night before.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #78
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I ran out of strips, but had gone back to strict paleo, so wasn't really checking.

I have a couple of trigger foods that send me to the moon--bananas and rice of any kind, and apparently, grapes. Oats may be that for you.

This reminded me of a post sometime back on the ML, someone said they whipped coconut oil into a whipped cream, but I've also seen where you can whip coconut milk (the kind in the can, at least) into a whipped cream/topping too. I mention it because I love whipped cream with berries sometimes, and the coconut whipped cream would be a nondairy way for you to have it too.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Actually if you just refrigerate the canned coconut milk, it thickens quite a bit and has a heavy whipping cream consistency. I love it. I'm sure if you whipped it, it would be very much like whipped cream.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Knock on wood, I have a normal blood sugar by nature. but I still have time to become D.
I usually catch everything. Ha.
But I use a lot of the Amber Agave Nectar for sweetener?
OMG good stuff.
it's low glycemic sweetener, 100% unrefined and Pure, Gluten Free.
High in calories though 1TBSP 60, and 16 Total carbs.
It's like I'm cheating when I have it. A treat.
Just a thought!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
eieio--please do not use agave nectar. It is all fructose and highly correlated with fatty liver. NOT good, no matter what hype there is about it.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
ZOID that's a real bummer. Thanks for the info.
I've been getting it from the Heath food store to boot!
Sigh.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #83
Blabbermouth!!!

I have also heard that agave isn't all the health that it's cracked up to be. Sorry, EI Perhaps you can try a stevia-based sweetener.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Been checking my bg regularly since Thurs. and no more spikes. It's all been tight as a ship.

Granted I haven't tested its limits with more GS cookies or candies, cake, pie, etc. etc. I've had breads, fruit, peanut butter, dark chocolate, chips.

But I think the spike after the oatmeal was because it's sugary to my body, and I read that even people with normal bg can get spikes above the normal range with certain foods, such as oatmeal. It takes a big surge to get the insulin out and doing its thing.

Then later in the day, when I had another spike, it must have been the GS cookie, along with a number of other carby things I had in the same meal.

I dunno for sure...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Been checking my bg regularly since Thurs. and no more spikes. It's all been tight as a ship.

Granted I haven't tested its limits with more GS cookies or candies, cake, pie, etc. etc. I've had breads, fruit, peanut butter, dark chocolate, chips.

But I think the spike after the oatmeal was because it's sugary to my body, and I read that even people with normal bg can get spikes above the normal range with certain foods, such as oatmeal. It takes a big surge to get the insulin out and doing its thing.

Then later in the day, when I had another spike, it must have been the GS cookie, along with a number of other carby things I had in the same meal.

I dunno for sure...
I would like to see lower FBG in the a.m. though. It was 96 this morning.

It was 80 when I checked it last night at 1:30 am... over 3 hours after eating a pretty carby meal (and I tested in great ranges each time I checked after that meal, so if it spiked I didn't catch it).

I wonder what my bg is doing in the morning before I wake up to cause it to go up so high after I wake up?

It's almost always at least 90... usually mid to upper 90s. Once I caught it at 108. But my PPs are great.

?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Just a quick hello!
Did a little experiment today--my bg was 155 this morning : (
then over a period of about an hour, I drank a BIG bottle of water (1.5quarts) and tested again: 115!

Random FYI: reading Dr Bernstein today, and he says lifting weights burns 19 times more glucose than aerobic exercise. So...I'm getting back into kettlebells! I also made some "weights" today by filling up empty laundry dtetergent bottles with water!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Just a quick hello!
then over a period of about an hour, I drank a BIG bottle of water (1.5quarts) and tested again: 115!

Random FYI: reading Dr Bernstein today, and he says lifting weights burns 19 times more glucose than aerobic exercise. So...I'm getting back into kettlebells! I also made some "weights" today by filling up empty laundry dtetergent bottles with water!

PIRATE JENNY!!!!!
Whooo hoooo!!!! Missed you!!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #88
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Glad to see you! It's been over a month, and actually, I was sort of worried about you. I'm happy that you've popped in!

Great idea about making weights with big bottles of water!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #89
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Just a quick hello!

I was worried about you too! So glad you checked in.

Sorry about that high FBG. Neat trick about the water though! I'll file that away for any future instance. I always remembered your exercise advice to bring down a number. I jump on the mini trampoline for just 2 minutes of gentle bouncing and it dropped way down on Thurs.

Keep us updated on how you're doing.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I haven't been able to get my computer fixed yet; using a lil tablet & typing is SO SLOW!

Thanks for your concern & sorry to have worried y'all!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote