Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   sooo ya know how I was all worried.. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/754795-sooo-ya-know-how-i-all-worried.html)

Jenn1225 01-23-2012 06:51 PM

sooo ya know how I was all worried..
 
Bwuahahaha I was so dedicated to tracking all my calories today that I can still eat 1k. INSANITY! hehehe

On that note, has anyone tried making brownies using diet soda? SO good and the only calories you have to worry about are in the dry mix you use. Works with cake too, hehe. I made brownies using diet doctor pepper... yummy ^_^.

Ok I'm gonna go dance now :jumpjoy:

Tyl 01-23-2012 06:55 PM

Ok tell me more about these brownies!

SoHappy 01-23-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn1225 (Post 15355473)
Bwuahahaha I was so dedicated to tracking all my calories today that I can still eat 1k. INSANITY! hehehe

On that note, has anyone tried making brownies using diet soda? SO good and the only calories you have to worry about are in the dry mix you use. Works with cake too, hehe. I made brownies using diet doctor pepper... yummy ^_^.

Ok I'm gonna go dance now :jumpjoy:

This is cracking me up! ^ ^ ^ :hyst:

And I'm going to look into the brownies that use a diet soda. Cutting out the oil would save quite a few calories.

Jenn1225 01-23-2012 07:00 PM

Just take a box of brownie mix - I grabbed the sugar free (sweetened with splenda) mix from walmart, though next time I'm going to make them from scratch to see if I can cut the calories even more. Anyway instead of adding the milk/oil/eggs it calls for, you ad half a can (or 6oz) of diet soda. So the only calories you should worry about are in the mix hehe.

With a cake you add the whole can. You can add hints of flavor this way depending on the flavor of the soda =D.

- I'll add too that these brownies turned out more moist then any I've ever baked, hehe

caramel 01-23-2012 09:02 PM

intriguing must try, thanks:shake:

theredhead 01-24-2012 09:25 AM

Please keep us posted on an homemade experiments with the brownies. It sure sounds good. :D

SillverOrchid 01-24-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn1225 (Post 15355503)
Just take a box of brownie mix - I grabbed the sugar free (sweetened with splenda) mix from walmart, though next time I'm going to make them from scratch to see if I can cut the calories even more. Anyway instead of adding the milk/oil/eggs it calls for, you ad half a can (or 6oz) of diet soda. So the only calories you should worry about are in the mix hehe.

With a cake you add the whole can. You can add hints of flavor this way depending on the flavor of the soda =D.

- I'll add too that these brownies turned out more moist then any I've ever baked, hehe

Im fascinated lol what were the calorie counts? :D

KOO 01-24-2012 09:38 AM

Hmm, cool. I will try that.

Kissa 01-24-2012 10:14 AM

All Brownie new is welcome here. :yummy:

I am going to dance too and I haven't even got a brownie.

:kicking::kicking::kicking:

Redeemed 01-24-2012 03:46 PM

Thanks for the great idea!!
 
I just made a German strussel with cherry pie filling, skipping l/2 cup of oil and an egg; and adding 6 oz. Dr. Zevia. The batter did really strange things when I added the Dr. Zevia. Instead of crumbly like the box showed, the batter grew large into a large mass of dough. The dough tasted wonderful, however. I have it in the oven for tomorrow's UD breakfast. If cut into nine pieces, each serving should be around 250 calories.

dasiey 01-24-2012 04:56 PM

this sounds awesome...

mayleesa 01-24-2012 05:32 PM

omg this sounds GREAT i'm gonna make it this weekend!!!! only 6oz of soda? like diet pepsi or sprite zero!?!

Jenn1225 01-24-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

I just made a German strussel with cherry pie filling, skipping l/2 cup of oil and an egg; and adding 6 oz. Dr. Zevia. The batter did really strange things when I added the Dr. Zevia. Instead of crumbly like the box showed, the batter grew large into a large mass of dough. The dough tasted wonderful, however. I have it in the oven for tomorrow's UD breakfast. If cut into nine pieces, each serving should be around 250 calories.
I'm not sure if it's supposed to work will filling, atleast not that I've seen yet. Though your recipe does sound good for some kind of fried dough dish...oooo my mouth is gonna water... ha! hehe

Quote:

omg this sounds GREAT i'm gonna make it this weekend!!!! only 6oz of soda? like diet pepsi or sprite zero!?!
yeap!! 6oz of whatever flavor rocks your socks :) (for the brownies, 12oz for cake)

My brownies had a hint of the dr. pepper taste but not enough to distract from the yummy brownie goodness hehe.

Quote:

Im fascinated lol what were the calorie counts?
This is deffinitely an UD recipe - unless you have the calories to spare on a DD. Mine turned out to be about 75/brownie. I had done so good on my calories the other day I could have eaten an entire box! lol

MintQ8 01-25-2012 03:42 AM

googling as I type

Tyl 01-25-2012 03:44 AM

so these are more like a doughy something and not very much like brownies?!!?

MintQ8 01-25-2012 03:45 AM

no just googled - they look exactly like brownies

Tyl 01-25-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 15358939)
no just googled - they look exactly like brownies

that's what i like to hear!!! i will be adding this to my will try recipes. next week i'm baking a key lime pie for the first time. i'm nervous!

MintQ8 01-25-2012 03:54 AM

I'm going to try for DH who is a diabetic!!! Try to find a low sugar cake/brownie mix and use Diet cola!

Just read somewhere that ginger ale or 7-up can be used for white mixes!

Tyl 01-25-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintQ8 (Post 15358960)
I'm going to try for DH who is a diabetic!!! Try to find a low sugar cake/brownie mix and use Diet cola!

Just read somewhere that ginger ale or 7-up can be used for white mixes!

yum! oh the possibilities!

Jenn1225 01-25-2012 05:33 AM

hehe I'm going to try a white mix, strawberry soda, and make a low cal strawberry glaze in the next couple of days. I went to bed drooling about it.

Jenn1225 01-25-2012 09:02 AM

hrmmm wont let me edit. I wanted to add that the consistency you want in the batter is going to be similar to what you would expect if you made the cake/brownies the normal way. I'm no expert so take my advice at your own risk.

I'd also suggest making cupcakes instead of actual cakes you so you control the calorie counts. I made brownie cupcakes and they were the perfect size for a small treat, esspecially when dipped in low calorie icing hehehe.

Can't wait to see what kind of things everyone comes up with, for those who are going to try.

mayleesa 01-25-2012 05:25 PM

What is.lowcal icing

Jenn1225 01-25-2012 05:27 PM

Just a mixture of fat free milk and splenda until you get the consistency you want. Corn starch helps thicken it up but I'm usually ok without it.

SoHappy 01-25-2012 05:34 PM

Jen, this is the most intriguing idea. I've never heard of such a thing, but am imagining the possibilities for small treats for DDs.

On my UDs, I just eat regular desserts if I'm going to eat anything, as I'm not doing low carb at all, but sometimes a little sweet treat on a DD would be awfully nice and this batter wouldn't be too high in calories.

Jenn1225 01-25-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Jen, this is the most intriguing idea. I've never heard of such a thing, but am imagining the possibilities for small treats for DDs.

On my UDs, I just eat regular desserts if I'm going to eat anything, as I'm not doing low carb at all, but sometimes a little sweet treat on a DD would be awfully nice and this batter wouldn't be too high in calories.
I agree, and I actually think I should stick with regular desserts on UDs too from now on. I made orange soda cupcakes tonight with an orange soda glaze, 58 cals without the glaze (don't know about with but I guess around 70). I've had 4 of them so far, had my dinner as well. I'm SO full it hurts and I'm only at 1206 cals for the day. EDIT: it sounds so weird to complain that I want to clarify lol. I think I should stick with regluar treats as a quick way to reach my goal amount. These things make me feel like I'm forcing myself to eat lol.

Tyl 01-25-2012 06:45 PM

Sooo how do u make an orange glaze!

Jenn1225 01-25-2012 06:53 PM

The glaze was an accident so I can't really tell you exactly how I did it.

I left some of the cake mix out so I could try and make a crumble. I added a little orange soda too it, and splenda but it wasn't working. I kept adding splenda until it got so thick it almost reminded me of taffy. At which point I gave up and wanted to see if I could atleast get it back to a consistancy where maybe I could make a cookie out of it or something. So I added orange soda, too much, and it ended up like pancake batter. I said whatever and baked it like a cupcake for 20 minutes. It reduced to a thick gel-like glaze.

Tyl 01-25-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn1225 (Post 15361907)
The glaze was an accident so I can't really tell you exactly how I did it.

I left some of the cake mix out so I could try and make a crumble. I added a little orange soda too it, and splenda but it wasn't working. I kept adding splenda until it got so thick it almost reminded me of taffy. At which point I gave up and wanted to see if I could atleast get it back to a consistancy where maybe I could make a cookie out of it or something. So I added orange soda, too much, and it ended up like pancake batter. I said whatever and baked it like a cupcake for 20 minutes. It reduced to a thick gel-like glaze.

lol i'm sure i can NOT replicate this!

gotsomeold 01-26-2012 03:50 AM

I want some of that key lime pie!!!!!

justapinch 01-26-2012 05:40 AM

Angelfood and pineapple...mmmm
 
Another lower cal DD option is to take an angel food cake mix (one that only requires adding water) and mixing in a can of crushed pineapple instead. Make into cupcakes, top with some toasted coconut if you like! YUM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 AM.