Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 199.4/179.0/140
Start Date: 11.1.13
VLC dd so. much. easier

Did my calculations and they came out to dd: 355 cals and ud: 1777.

I thought I'd try a dd without carbs. It worked much better.

So its five pm and I really am fine. I've had two cups of coffee with 1/2 tbs cream and some almond milk, one cheese stick, one egg.

That leaves me with 100 cals left over. I'm making a rich dinner, unfortunately (ground beef in tomatoes and onions) but I'll try to have just a little.

Ever just "wing it" with calories? I don't know how I'd ever be exact with the calories on this recipe.
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Ever just "wing it" with calories? I don't know how I'd ever be exact with the calories on this recipe.
All the time. I'm not the most the most accurate tracker ever, I suspect...
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hey, Moonmirror! Hi! Fun to see you over here, and I'm really happy that doing low carb DDs helps you. We have several here who find protein on DDs really helps keep too much hunger away for them too. Well, and then after awhile, somehow, your appetite on DDs sort of eases back and then it becomes pretty easy no matter what.

Don't worry about doing it perfectly. If you can, great. But if you can't, close enough is usually good enough to begin with. You can *perfect it* as you go along.

Good to see you here again!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Hey Moon!! Good to see you again and glad you are finding a way to make JUDDD fit for you!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I just really miss chocolate. If there's a way for me to eat chocolate, I'm in.

Its actually not all that easy right now, but its not desperately difficult like it was last time!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post

Its actually not all that easy right now, but its not desperately difficult like it was last time!
There are very few days of my life that haven't included chocolate somehow. I love it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Moon-- I eat 99% cacao that I get at world market---so so good--100 cals and <2 carbs for 2 squares. I love it for UDs AND DDs!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Hi moon! Glad to see you back here. Sometimes it can take a while to fine tune this woe to be a good individual fit, sounds like you are well on the way!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Hi Moon, it is nice to meet you.

Like you, I find vlc on DDs is best. In fact, now that JUDDD magic is very well established, the carefully measured hwc in my coffee is enough to keep me satisfied until dinner. When I cook on DD, I do calculate individual food items then guesstimate how much or little I can eat. And, golly, on DD I really enjoy not even thinking about food.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-24-2012 at 01:36 AM..
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Glad things are working out better this time around, MM
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Same here. Life without chocolate sucked and I don't like the SF stuff. It just tasted... empty.

I also do VLC DDs now. Just protein and fat for the most part and I'm good.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Good to hear you've found a way to make dd's easier. I have to stay vlc on dd's too. Protein is key. And not eating till lunch.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #13

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/199.2/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Quote:

What about the Swiss Miss 25 calorie HOT CHOCOLATE??? That should help with the chocolate cravings on your DD's
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, that was the key for sure. Yesterday I overshot 355 by quite a bit, but for my first DD it was really nice. I had a really calm, alert feeling by the end of the day.

I ate: one egg, 2 cheese sticks, 2 cups of coffee with almond milk + a tiny spoon of cream, 2 splendas, 2 cups of licorice tea, and 1/2 cup of ground beef in tomato paste.

Total came out to about 580.

I may allow 2,000 for an up day. I think this 355/1777 thing is not happening. I want to shoot for 500/2000.

I think normally, I maintain my weight of 165 pounds at around 2,500. I can eat a lot and not gain weight. I wear a size ten and I'm a muscular girl.

I actually don't mind my figure how it is. But I'd like to wear a bikini this summer, get a bit smaller for exercise goals, and find some peace with food. I don't have "skinny aspirations."

Anyway I really liked the low-carb down day...a lot. Let's see how today goes...should be interesting to have the freedom. Not sure what I'll do, but pretty sure I'll still wait 'til lunch to eat.

Thanks for welcoming me in!

Last edited by moonmirror; 01-24-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Oh...love all the chocolate recommendations, as well! I was wondering how to
"sanely" handle that today
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/150/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Whatever gets me to goal...
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
I may allow 2,000 for an up day. I think this 355/1777 thing is not happening. I want to shoot for 500/2000.
I know i'm new at this, but if you up your DD's, wouldn't you want slightly lower UDs?

Pat, Linda, can you shed some light on that?
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Yes, that was the key for sure. Yesterday I overshot 355 by quite a bit, but for my first DD it was really nice. I had a really calm, alert feeling by the end of the day.

I ate: one egg, 2 cheese sticks, 2 cups of coffee with almond milk + a tiny spoon of cream, 2 splendas, 2 cups of licorice tea, and 1/2 cup of ground beef in tomato paste.

Total came out to about 580.
580 is awesome for a first DD!

I'm positive I wasn't able to get that close on my first DD. I think it's fine to do 500 DDs, and if you can manage it later on and feel that you need to, you can always go lower.

I'm definitely another one who needs to do vlc on DDs and it keeps the hunger at bay very well through bedtime and even until the following morning. I go higher on carbs on my UDs.

Last edited by vilanteira; 01-24-2012 at 07:59 AM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
580 is awesome for a first DD!

I'm positive I wasn't able to get that close on my first DD. I think it's fine to do 500 DDs, and if you can manage it later on and feel that you need to, you can always go lower.

I'm definitely another one who needs to do vlc on DDs and it keeps the hunger at bay very well through bedtime and even until the following morning. I go higher on carbs on my UDs.
That's what I was thinking...especially since I don't have a lot of frustration with my weight; I'd mostly like to feel better and have the health benefits.

Below 2000 on an UD just SEEMS really, really low to me. I can handle a low DD, but when I eat carbs...I eat carbs.

If it doesn't work out, I'll adjust.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Yes that's my thinking too (though it's not based on anything except personal experience), because I feel that if it's possible to lose (even at a slower rate) on higher calories, the better it is. When I started JUDDD, I thought ahead to maintenance and didn't want to be eating extremely low calories then just to maintain my weight, so I always kept my UD calories as high as possible while still losing.

And like you said, if it doesn't work, then you can always adjust. Let us know how it goes!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cherryhair
Stats: 230.4/215.8/160
Start Date: 1/4/12
Quote:
Yes that's my thinking too (though it's not based on anything except personal experience), because I feel that if it's possible to lose (even at a slower rate) on higher calories, the better it is. When I started JUDDD, I thought ahead to maintenance and didn't want to be eating extremely low calories then just to maintain my weight, so I always kept my UD calories as high as possible while still losing.

And like you said, if it doesn't work, then you can always adjust. Let us know how it goes!
I agree with this 100%. If it's not broke why fix it-just because it "looks" like too many calories. I think people are forgetting that those calories (plus the 500) are based on two days not one.
cherryhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
I know i'm new at this, but if you up your DD's, wouldn't you want slightly lower UDs?

Pat, Linda, can you shed some light on that?
Actually not so much on this plan. One of the strengths of this plan is of the big variance in the UD and DD calorie numbers, and the pounding between them. If you overeat on a DD, and then try to counter it by undereating on your UD, you are evening out the calorie numbers, but you are drawing the days closer to each other in overall calorie numbers, and much of that just turns this into another low calorie diet plan that just varies the calories a little from day to day, but not by many hundred, and it isn't JUDDD anymore. It becomes the Zig Zag diet plan or one of several others.

And then the problem with them is -for some of us- that having the calories closer together rather than farther apart slows metabolism instead of goading it to operate more rapidly.

You know how you always hear that *calories in and calories out* isn't the whole story? Well, to a certain extent, that is true. Especially if the calories are always held too close to each other every day. We try to use not just the nutrients in our diet but the number of calories we consume to encourage our bodies to respond is more ways than just simple weight loss.

I'm sure it doesn't matter if you lower UD calories to make up for a too-big DD occasionally, but for myself, I sure wouldn't make a practice of it. I only pushed my UD calories up, up, up against my calorie ceiling, but rarely lowered the number.

Those are just my thoughts. We all get to do JUDDD as we want too. LOL

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-24-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:

WTG, guys! If you can keep your UD calories high and lose, that's going to be wonderful!

For me, I had to keep them below a certain number during WLM to lose (otherwise I just maintained or even gained), but by the time I was into maintenance, I was able to do FDs with no calorie limit and I have not only maintained, but even lost more weight in maintenance than I intended, lol. I feel this was due to the increased health and improved metabolism after being on JUDDD a while. So if one way doesn't work for you, another might. This woe is very flexible and allows for experimentation to see how your body does best.

KUTGW!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-24-2012 at 10:46 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=SoHappy;15357191]Actually not so much on this plan. One of the strengths of this plan is of the big variance in the UD and DD calorie numbers, and the pounding between them. QUOTE]

Pat, what do you mean by "the pounding between them?" Do you mean the feast or famine quality of it?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #24

[quote=moonmirror;15357604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Actually not so much on this plan. One of the strengths of this plan is of the big variance in the UD and DD calorie numbers, and the pounding between them. QUOTE]

Pat, what do you mean by "the pounding between them?" Do you mean the feast or famine quality of it?
I didn't explain that very well, did I. I'm sorry.

I got in my mind the visual of a piston, pounding up and down, up and down, up against the UD calorie ceiling and down to the depth of the DD calorie intake, like a piece of machinery, pounding up and down, like a piston, pounding up and down.

And whatever all goes on inside our bodies from this cycle of fasting and feasting and fasting and feasting again, it seems to work better for us when the spread between the two calorie numbers is a bit wider, rather than having the DD and UD calorie numbers be closer together every day. That big variance between the UD and DD calorie numbers, and the *pounding* or bouncing between them, seems to stimulate weight loss better, for some reason, than just holding steady on generally lowered calories every day does.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

So, what about those of us who the calculator gives a lower UD number to? My UD number comes in around 1550. And I just can't do less than 500 DD, at least not yet. We don't get the same pounding effect. LOL

Is it still enough?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
So, what about those of us who the calculator gives a lower UD number to? My UD number comes in around 1550. And I just can't do less than 500 DD, at least not yet. We don't get the same pounding effect. LOL

Is it still enough?
Apparently it is for the body it is set for.

We've sure had some little gals keep melting away, almost before our very eyes, and I think some haven't had large UD calorie numbers given them. And then they run into that period where they need to experiment with upping their calories to prevent even more weight loss. I think that's sort of a personal balancing act.. do you want to keep low DDs and increase UD calories? Or maybe up both numbers some? Or stay where you are on UD calories, and give all the increase to the DD side of the equation. What fun.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

I like the idea of being very true to my dd's, but being more moderate on my UD's.

Today is my first "good" UD.

I had a lowcarb lunch, and measured out my treats (peanut m&m's, and reduced fat potato chips) for the day. I figured out a calorie "treat" amount that I thought was reasonable, and put them in sandwich bags!

I'm now at only about 1300 and haven't had dinner yet.

I am practicing moderation.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #28

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
I like the idea of being very true to my dd's, but being more moderate on my UD's.

Today is my first "good" UD.

I had a lowcarb lunch, and measured out my treats (peanut m&m's, and reduced fat potato chips) for the day. I figured out a calorie "treat" amount that I thought was reasonable, and put them in sandwich bags!

I'm now at only about 1300 and haven't had dinner yet.

I am practicing moderation.
I love this. Except when I practice moderation throughout the day, I have too many calories left over and "have" to indulge in an extra glass or three of wine.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Apparently it is for the body it is set for.

We've sure had some little gals keep melting away, almost before our very eyes, and I think some haven't had large UD calorie numbers given them. And then they run into that period where they need to experiment with upping their calories to prevent even more weight loss. I think that's sort of a personal balancing act.. do you want to keep low DDs and increase UD calories? Or maybe up both numbers some? Or stay where you are on UD calories, and give all the increase to the DD side of the equation. What fun.
Makes sense. Not doing any experimenting since I'm still in the first 2 weeks. But I'm looking forward to that melting away part.

Good dd today. I even have 80 calories left. Can't decide if I want to just end there, or have a little bedtime snack. A hard-boiled egg would fit in really nicely.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
"have" to indulge in an extra glass or three of wine.
Woman after my own heart!!!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote