Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
What do you consider low/moderate/high carb levels?

I know it doesn't matter for JUDDD, I'm just curious when people discuss low/moderate carbs, what amount they are talking about.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I keep mine under 30 net. I consider that low.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Mine are up to about 150 now on some days and for me that's high but I think it's technically moderate by most standards.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I don't track at all but I'd consider 100-150 moderate.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
We who have been LCF members for some time have read and most often repeated what we've read regarding carbohydrate, so I expect many of us are *a little bit over into the deep end* where it comes to our attitudes about carbs as an entire one third portion of the three macro nutrients.

According to the Mayo Clinic, 45% to 65% of our daily diet should be in the form of carbohydrate, the majority of it from vegetables and fruits and some whole grains, and only a small portion of it coming from sweetened foods and/or processed foods at all.

So if we figure this in the middle of their recommendation.. 55% carb food sources.. and the average maintenance dietary level of 2000 calories, that has us eating the recommended 275 grams of carbohydrate daily.

I don't think they consider this as a high carb level diet. It would be considered a good mid-range.

Obviously, the number of grams of carb (and of fat and protein too) in any individual's diet varies from one person to the next, even based on percentages, because we are all of differing sizes and ages and activity levels and metabolic rates, etc.

For myself, anything in the area of 30 net carbs and lower is very low carb! Anything up to 100 certainly qualifies as low carb. Even up to 150 is considered low carb by most books/sites.

So from about 150 grams of carb up to 250/275 grams or so would be moderate carb. About right on target at the mid-range.

And then when you are starting to get very far above 300 and rising, you're getting into the area of eating a high carb diet. Not just eating the occasional high carb item... but of totally eating at a completely high carb level. I'm not a body builder or real athlete, so I can't remotely burn carbohydrate fuel at the speed that would be needed!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I consider anything under 30/day to be very low carb, though some aim for fewer than 20
I consider 50 or under to be low carb.
Anything around 100 or so to be moderate carb (what I aim for)
Anything above 100 and under 200/day may be lower carb than the standard American diet, but not "low carb" by most low-carber's standards (South Beach comes to mind)
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess my vision is skewed, because I can not imagine eating over 200 g of carbs. LOL

But I also have a history of gest diabetes with my last pregnancy, and saw anything more than 25 g of carb in a meal send my blood sugar soaring. Since GD can lead to a greater chance of diabetes later in life, I feel like I need to watch the carbs.

Very interesting though, to see how my thoughts on this have been affected.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
For me, VLC is less than 10 net grams a day. LC is 10 to 30 grams. Medium carb is 30 to 60. Anything over 60 would be a high carb count for the day. I'm usually between 20 to 40 grams a day, and that's been true for 9 years.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: clfrazier
Stats: 244/148/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: 09/01/10
Diabetes runs in my family so I stay LC because I'm terrified of getting it. I try for 20 net carbs on DDs and no more than 30 on UDs. Saturday I majorly went over, 90 net carbs, so I'm up today 2 pounds. That's how sensitive I am to them. I guess "low carb" is a relative term.
clfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
Under 60 = low carb
60-125 = medium carb
125+ = high carb
200+= very high carb

This is not the "official" interpretation, but mine alone.
I'm diabetic and try to stay between 60-75 a day. Consistency is the key for diabetics. I tried to go below 40 on a regular basis, but it just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clfrazier View Post
Diabetes runs in my family so I stay LC because I'm terrified of getting it. I try for 20 net carbs on DDs and no more than 30 on UDs. Saturday I majorly went over, 90 net carbs, so I'm up today 2 pounds. That's how sensitive I am to them. I guess "low carb" is a relative term.
That's not really uncommon, though. It's pretty much the norm for us all. It's just normal.

When someone has been holding very low carb (you said you try for 20 net but not more than 30), and then they suddenly eat over 90 net, their body will certainly start to restore its depleted glycogen fuel stores and the related fluid level... thus water weight regain, to be expected.

I don't think of this as a sign we are sensitive to carbs.. merely that we are normal, and our bodies will attempt to replenish themselves when given the chance. Not because you are sensitive, but because you are normal. In a way, it should be a sign to us that our body is still operating as Mother Nature designed it to. LOL

Those who feel they would be upset by this water weight showing up on the scale during their first week or so of JUDDD, if they decide to eat at a higher carb level than they'd previously held themselves down to, can slow this process down quite a bit by being very, very gradual in building their carbohydrate grams back up. That way, as they are losing some fat, it can be offsetting the water weight gain as far as the scale weight goes, and is not so shocking!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote