Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
here to give it another try

All the success and most importantly the support the JUDDERS give each other calls to me.

I see something I may have missed before it appears I should base my UD cals on my goal weight instead of current weight right?

Those of you who know my history and struggles please just bear with me. I just want to try again. I do not have it in me to give up on losing weight and to do that I have to restrict calories in some form either way.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
All the success and most importantly the support the JUDDERS give each other calls to me.

I see something I may have missed before it appears I should base my UD cals on my goal weight instead of current weight right?

Those of you who know my history and struggles please just bear with me. I just want to try again. I do not have it in me to give up on losing weight and to do that I have to restrict calories in some form either way.
Welcome home, little girl!

You don't have all that much to lose, so you can easily start at the calculated UD calories for your current weight, but it won't be a big problem if you want to use only calories based on your goal weight either. Or maybe just pick a number in between. I don't think you will run into any problem from using any of those calorie numbers to be your UD calorie number.

I don't remember whether your DDs gave you any trouble or not. Did you do 500 calorie DDs OK? If so, just do that again. But if they gave you a tough time before, maybe start in at a higher DD number and then work down from there. We have folks starting out more at 700 calories sometimes, and then when they're used to it a bit more, then they're able to cut down and down until they're old pros at 500 calories and less.

The big thing is just to not worry about doing it perfectly, but just to do it. Wonderfully or poorly done, you body will begin to adapt to the JUDDD cycle, and the more it does, the easier it all becomes anyway. And the easier it becomes, the better you will do, and then you'll be losing the weight and slimming down and gathering strength of will at the same time you're learning to trust that JUDDD will always be there to support your needs, forgive your little side excursions of abusing the calorie numbers (my sin) but it still works.

Having you back doing JUDDD with us will only add to the friendly atmosphere here!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi Jeanie, don't think I know you but it is lovely to see in the JUDDD threads.

I love Pat's comment "not worry about doing it perfectly, but just to do it."

This is how I live JUDDD. My best seems, amazingly, to be good enough.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
back, Jeanie! I remember you and so glad you're giving it another shot!

Take it real slow and take it easy on yourself! JUDDD is quite forgiving, as long as you are making some effort to get wide calorie swings between UD and DD, don't sweat it! You can eventually work on widening those gaps so that your DD numbers are where you want them.

We are glad you are here. Don't put any pressure on yourself. Love yourself and take it a day at a time.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
Quote:

I really needed to hear this from someone else too! I am here to encourage you as well as being encouraged!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Welcome home, little girl!

You don't have all that much to lose, so you can easily start at the calculated UD calories for your current weight, but it won't be a big problem if you want to use only calories based on your goal weight either. Or maybe just pick a number in between. I don't think you will run into any problem from using any of those calorie numbers to be your UD calorie number.

I don't remember whether your DDs gave you any trouble or not. Did you do 500 calorie DDs OK? If so, just do that again. But if they gave you a tough time before, maybe start in at a higher DD number and then work down from there. We have folks starting out more at 700 calories sometimes, and then when they're used to it a bit more, then they're able to cut down and down until they're old pros at 500 calories and less.

The big thing is just to not worry about doing it perfectly, but just to do it. Wonderfully or poorly done, you body will begin to adapt to the JUDDD cycle, and the more it does, the easier it all becomes anyway. And the easier it becomes, the better you will do, and then you'll be losing the weight and slimming down and gathering strength of will at the same time you're learning to trust that JUDDD will always be there to support your needs, forgive your little side excursions of abusing the calorie numbers (my sin) but it still works.

Having you back doing JUDDD with us will only add to the friendly atmosphere here!
Thanks Pat! I really needed to read this! I have been feeling very frustrated. I needed to read To Not Worry About Doing It Perfectly, But Just To Do it!.

This is such an encouragement! I was doing great but I struggle on counting my calories on UD. I will do it!

Thanks!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

LouLou We can do this! How long have you been doing JUDD?

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-22-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou View Post
I really needed to hear this from someone else too! I am here to encourage you as well as being encouraged!!

Thanks Pat! I really needed to read this! I have been feeling very frustrated. I needed to read To Not Worry About Doing It Perfectly, But Just To Do it!.

This is such an encouragement! I was doing great but I struggle on counting my calories on UD. I will do it!

Thanks!
Oh, I do too!

The most, most, MOST important thing I do for myself is to weigh every morning. That's how I can first notice if I'm getting a little off track. I'm used to the big weight fluctuations from JUDDD, but if I get a big bounce number that I haven't seen anything THAT high for quite awhile, that's a giant hint that I need to pay better attention to measuring my foods and absolutely track those calories! Mostly I do a good job. But if I am getting lax, I like to be awakened to that fact early on.. not after I've regained a lot.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
back!! So nice to have you here!

If you are like I used to be, the scale used to really mess with my head. Now, I realize that I don't need to worry about the fluctations so much, just the overall progress...Down, of course!

So glad you are giving yourself another shot at great health and your personal goals!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
So glad to see you back again jeanie!
I know that you found controlling your UD's hard...and I can fully sympathise.
It does get easier.....I am still a work in progress myself, the urge to binge is a powerful one, and somedays it can get control of us, and other days we can control it. The days when I am in control are growing, and just focusing on little "triumphs" helps me....like "I only had 2 cookies" or "I wanted more _____but I waited till the feeling passed.
If you can stick with your DD's, and view your UD's as a work in progress, not something that has to be instantly perfect, you will do just fine.
Post often, this forum just keeps getting better!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

1822 UD & 547 DD @ 30% weight loss mode. Seems kind of high for this 50 yr. old who is barely 5'1? Should I go for the 25% perhaps?

Hi Joedi! You are an inspiration to me for sure!!

Last edited by jeaniem; 01-22-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
1822 UD & 547 DD @ 30% weight loss mode. Seems kind of high for this 50 yr. old who is barely 5'1? Should I go for the 25% perhaps?

The JUDDD site gives you an UD calorie number of about 1600 calories, based on your stats of female, age 50.. 61 inches tall and current weight of 142 pounds. No matter how much exercise we do or do not get in each day, I always, always use the *little or no exercise* tab for the calculations.

So if you can aim for UDs of about 1600 calories and DDs of about 500 calories, I think that will be a wonderfully winning combination. And then go from there, do the best you can, and don't fret any *unhappy deviations* from these numbers. I didn't, and it still worked

I guess the thing is.. we are going to feed ourselves for the rest of our lives. So if we're going to choose to be on some kind of an eating plan, why not this one? It doesn't mean that we are going to do it perfectly every day. It just means that we use this plan as our guide. And we do the best we can. And when we're really doing it well, the weight melts off of us. And when we are a little slack and lax, we don't do as well at the weight loss part. But, you know what? That would be the same no matter what plan we were or were not on anyway, so why not just keep being on this one?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Pat those numbers sound more reasonable. I am taking your last paragraph in your post to heart it makes so much sense!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Pat those numbers sound more reasonable. I am taking your last paragraph in your post to heart it makes so much sense!
I posted this on another thread. Thought maybe it would be appropriate here too:

You don't have to be perfect right from the start. All you have to do is try your best to kinda' sorta' do it.

If the day is perfect.. Hallelujah! There will be more perfect ones come along too. And if the day was -ahem- less than perfect, Oh.. Well.. tomorrow is another day. The only way JUDDD will fail you is if you don't do it. If you quit it.

Just not doing it perfectly isn't usually enough to ruin it all, and the longer you can do it fairly close, the closer you will be to the time when you can do it perfectly! And in the meantime, while you're practicing how to do it, you can be losing some weight and see the scale going down too.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:

Hi Jo!

I wish you all the luck in the world!

I am 5'2", but my numbers are so much lower!

The site gave me 1328 for UD and 266 for DD at 20%

But Pat helped me with those numbers and now I am trying for 1400 UD and 350 DD.

My goal is 110 - 114.

The reason my numbers are so low is that I am 18 years older then you
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Yep. I really need to try my best but no matter which plan I am following I will have bad days, but at least with JUDD I can eat mostly what I want half the time!

How long have you been doing JUDD?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
back and so glad you decide to join us again!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Hi Jo!

I wish you all the luck in the world!

I am 5'2", but my numbers are so much lower!

The site gave me 1328 for UD and 266 for DD at 20%

But Pat helped me with those numbers and now I am trying for 1400 UD and 350 DD.

My goal is 110 - 114.

The reason my numbers are so low is that I am 18 years older then you

How has it been working so far?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
How has it been working so far?
This is day 4 for me, so far so good!

My weight 4 days ago was 122.

I am only 1/2" taller then you!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
This is day 4 for me, so far so good!

My weight 4 days ago was 122.

I am only 1/2" taller then you!
Glad to see someone else fairly new here! What is your goal weight?

I finished my first down day today and and came in at 682 calories instead of the 500 I had hoped for. Oh well it's a start.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Welcome back.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Glad to see someone else fairly new here! What is your goal weight?

I finished my first down day today and and came in at 682 calories instead of the 500 I had hoped for. Oh well it's a start.
Fabulous start! That's good work. All you have to do is let the days pass and keep at it. And get ready for the magic.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Pat! I am assuming that I should still shoot for my usual UD cals tomorrow?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks Pat! I am assuming that I should still shoot for my usual UD cals tomorrow?
Yup. That's what I think you should do. Kinda' plan out ahead of time what would be good, and what you want for your meals, and how much of it to serve yourself.. how many calories would that be?

And don't forget some good stuff. That's the fun of UDs. LOL Oh, and don't forget to save some calories out for an evening treat if you're a person who enjoys that. Pamper yourself. And keep reminding yourself that this delicious food, these wonderful choices that you have made for yourself for this UD, may be repeated in a few more days too. Or not. Maybe you will decide on whole new choices for your next UDs. Well, who knows? You're free to choose anything you want to have forever more. You might eat it on the next UD too. Or not. What ever you choose. Because you're free to do that now.

We just take each day as it comes, but know that they extend into our future forever. And they're all ours.

AND, if we play our cards right, being skinny is ours too. All at the same time! What a fun plan. Easy Peasy, and with a great payoff!

So, yeah.. just do a decent UD tomorrow and enjoy the heck out of it. See you in the morning!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-23-2012 at 06:49 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

I have a question about up day calories and satiety. I have had all my cals for the day but am hungry now about 1hr. after dinner. It is not head hunger. I am worried if I am hungry now how will I manage a dd tomorrow. Is it normal to be hungry on an up day?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #25

Quote:
I have a question about up day calories and satiety. I have had all my cals for the day but am hungry now about 1hr. after dinner. It is not head hunger. I am worried if I am hungry now how will I manage a dd tomorrow. Is it normal to be hungry on an up day?

I would rather see you have a little extra today to make it through the evening than to go into your DD tomorrow even a bit more hungry than is usual at first and go TOO FAR overboard on the DD because of it.

You're just getting into it. Don't sweat it at first. Just do the rotations, even if they aren't held to the exact numbers right at first. So you're a little over today. I don't think in the long run, it's going to be a problem at all. You will get more appetite normalization and even suppression as you get further into it, but for this day, right now.. eat some more.

And one of the things I do is to allot a certain number of my day's calories to each meal, so much for breakfast, so much for afternoon teatime snack, etc.

And of the utmost importance is a chunk of calories remaining for my evening snack! So always try to leave some calories for that. LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Pat I will try a little cottage cheese and a small piece of chicken.
Thanks for the tip on spacing out the cals. I have always had it in my head that the foods must end at dinnertime, but there is really no reason not to have a snack if the calories are there.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks Pat I will try a little cottage cheese and a small piece of chicken.
Thanks for the tip on spacing out the cals. I have always had it in my head that the foods must end at dinnertime, but there is really no reason not to have a snack if the calories are there.
Oh, if the calories had to end at dinnertime, I'd be sunk!!!!! I can postpone breakfast for hours, just because I'm never much hungry until late morning or so. But I absolutely have to have stuff for evening snacking. That's my favorite *meal* of the day. LOL

Plus, it gives me a good boost to make it through the next DD more easily.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Whole large bag of cheetos
Whole large bag of lays chips
hershey's kisses
peanut butter/chocolate cake
whole box of chocolate almond bark
dairy queen moolatte
banana bread
think thin chocolate fudge bar
dairy queen hot dog

This is some of what I have eaten today and binged last night as well.

In all fairness I can't blame JUDD as no matter what plan I try I ultimately end up binging.

I am not sure what the answer is but I am going to take a LCF sabbatical for a while and see how things go. My heartfelt thanks to those of you who have tried to help me and have given me support.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Whole large bag of cheetos
Whole large bag of lays chips
hershey's kisses
peanut butter/chocolate cake
whole box of chocolate almond bark
dairy queen moolatte
banana bread
think thin chocolate fudge bar
dairy queen hot dog

This is some of what I have eaten today and binged last night as well.

In all fairness I can't blame JUDD as no matter what plan I try I ultimately end up binging.

I am not sure what the answer is but I am going to take a LCF sabbatical for a while and see how things go. My heartfelt thanks to those of you who have tried to help me and have given me support.
That sounds like some of my UDs! And you think I'm kidding, but I'm not!

So just because of this you aren't going to continue with JUDDD? This is the whole thing. So you didn't do this day perfectly.. (well, starting in last night.. LOL) but you just pick up and continue JUDDD as good as you can on any given day.

Some days are great. Some days are just a ruination. But would they not happen on some other plan? At least on JUDDD, you have a plan that can just get picked back up and continued on with. If you could go to a different plan and it would STOP, that would be fabulous. But if this seems to happen sometimes/occasionally/more than you want it to at this point... but still, if you will just stick, give it a chance, I keep believing it will settle down for you, at least somewhat.. as much as it will on another plan, etc.

It seems like you run into this and then bail out, regardless of the plan you're currently on. But that doesn't help anything. It just has you bouncing around from pillar to post on various diet plans, hitting your head repeatedly, but fleeing on and on and on.

Maybe you could just stop running? Just stay here? Just do the best you can on your days. And if it's a good day and you do well, Yay, and if it's a bad day and you lose control, well, that sucks.. but this is sure a whole lot safer place to lose control than most places.

And if low carb seems to help, then do low carb here. And if you go over your JUDDD guideline numbers, Oh, Well... If you were going to eat low carb and NOT be on JUDDD somewhere else, you'd probably go over those calorie numbers anyway. At least here you have.. us.

I hope you will strongly consider staying here and just doing the best you can and let it go at that. When you're going through a good period, you will reap the benefit, and when a bad period strikes, you will have us around you to help you get through it, and then you will be able to continue well for a while longer.

What do you think?

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-25-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know what to think Pat I am so confused. Are you serious that you have days where you eat like this? Do you keep going beyond full almost to the point of sickness?