Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amber
Stats: 140/133/125-130?
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: jan 2008
Does anyone fast on DD

Hi. I was wondering if anyone fasted on DD. Is there any science against it? I find it easier to fast than to have a small meal, but I could have a protein shake or egg cream in the evening, if this was metabolically better for me. If you do fast completely on your DD, do you add those calories to your UD to support your metabolism?

Thanks for any input-Amber
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I find it easier to fast than to have a small meal
I do- for exactly that reason.

Quote:
If you do fast completely on your DD, do you add those calories to your UD to support your metabolism?
In my mind, it makes more sense to deduct those calories from my UD, but they
(the experts on this forum) told me not to. I figured if I had a difference of 1500
calories between UDs and DDs (such as 500 cal DD and 2000 cal UD) then it would
make sense to keep the 1500 cal difference (0 cal DD and 1500 UD). Apparently
I'm the only one who thinks this way, though.

Keep in mind, I'm just a beginner and still trying to figure out what works for me.

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Hi. I was wondering if anyone fasted on DD. Is there any science against it? I find it easier to fast than to have a small meal, but I could have a protein shake or egg cream in the evening, if this was metabolically better for me. If you do fast completely on your DD, do you add those calories to your UD to support your metabolism?

Some of us do a total fast, many of us fast until evening and then have a small meal, but anything that is held below 500 calories during that fasting period seems to still be low enough to not negate the actual benefits of being in the fasted state for several hours.

For myself, I end my UD calories around 7:00 pm, then am not eating for the rest of that evening, through that night, and no eating on the next day (DD) until that evening (a small supper), then continue without anymore eating until a late breakfast of the next UD.

So the period of my *fasting* extends for about 36 to 40 hours. Well, of course, a fast really doesn't even begin, physically, until the last of your last meal is done digesting and being used, and since that can easily take up to 24 hours, you aren't really even in a fasted state for many hours after your last bit to eat.

My desire to do JUDDD was for the weight loss of cutting calories in this manner, which works, but also to benefit from the health benefits that we find fasting truly gives. It's a win-win situation for me!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
Wouldn't you want to add them to the UD if you fast on your DD so your metabolism continues to burn calories sufficiently? That sounds like it would work to me...
HotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your help!!

Amber
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The idea is to fast on DDs, any amount under 500 calories. If you don't use those calories on DDs, there's no need to add them to UDs. I believe the reason for the DD/UD rotation is to confuse the metabolism, so there's no risk of slowing your metabolism by NOT eating on your DD. The risk only happens if you're consistently eating low calories.

So eat 500 calories or less or not at all on DDs, but try to stick to around your UD calories on UDs and it will work.

As a side note, most of us don't eat back exercise calories either and it's not slowing weight loss that I've seen.

HTH.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

No, you don't add them back. It's a *use it or lose it* proposition.

Ideally, the plan is a fasting/feasting/fasting/feasting plan to begin with. The ideal is simply to fast, a complete and total fast, every other day. But as Dr. Johnson (who devised this plan) pointed out.. most folks just can't handle a total fast. It's all they can do to handle a semi-fast that allows them to eat 500 calories on their DDs.

And since the body seems to accept that low of a calorie number as being about the same as a total fast anyway, the health benefits from fasting are given us anyway.

But just because we fast on DDs, even totally fasting sometime for some, doesn't mean we then overfeed our bodies on UDs. Giving ourselves the goodly number of calories that seems to be our need for absolute maintenance, is noted by our brain, apparently, and registers as us finding plenty of food in a wild land... no need to slow the metabolism. But I have never read a study that shows that continual overfeeding by hundreds of calories increases the metabolism. Pushing the envelope.. yes. Push a bit, push a bit. But a continual dump of 500 extra calories, I would question.

But, all that being said, if you try it, it would be wonderful to have you report back to us. For myself, if I can get through a DD at a total fast and have cut those 500 (or whatever) calories out, I'm not going to eat them back again. I'll just be happy they're gone. Plus, I'm rarely that hungry on the following UDs anyway. Appetite is sort of normalized after awhile, and it's often harder than you might expect to overeat by a lot.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Great info. Thanks for the all the quick and positive responses.

Amber