Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Is anyone else eating a lot of junk on their UDs?

I eat pretty healthy on my DDs but gee, I eat a lot of carby junk on my UDs! Yesterday was a good DD and I stored away for today a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream, two pieces of pizza, and 2 chocolate chip cookies. With my morning coffee with SF creamer, that adds up to 1385 calories.

I can be wise and fill up the next 600 calories with fruits and veggies but it doesn't always turn out that way! I will try though. After almost 3 months on JUDDD, I'm still a little carb crazy.

It hasn't caused any weight gain and I weighed 110.2 this morning but I really should eat more healthy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
Me ! I just eat what I want and I think part of that comes from feeling like I can do it and still maintain. I do feel like little by little I am getting better.

My issues is I feel like I "snack" more then really sit and eat full meals (on DD and UD). My husband works nights, my kids never eat the meals I make so I make them somethign else, so it is just really a pain to make a "meal" for myself.

I need to get better about that
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Nanner
Stats: 253/229.5/200
WOE: low carb my way
Start Date: This time - 03/18/2013/JUDDD 04/29/2013
Well, I've only had 2 UDs and I did have drinks on both of them - don't usually drink twice a week, just turned out that way this week. Also, I did go out to eat on one of them. According to the JUDDD website, they do say you can "eat what you want" on your up days just to not overstuff yourself, so I've been trying to follow that philosophy. I was a good one for eating until I was overly stuffed and miserable. Yesterday, we went to Pizza Ranch, and I ate just enough so I was satisfied, and quit (buffet) and, though it was a lot of calories (after figuring it out), I'm not going to stress it. I also had my drinks and coffee in the morning and a light supper, and I only gained 0.5, which totally surprised me as I did go over my UD calories by about 600 - not intentionally and will be more careful in the future. Sticking to my DD calories though and will be excited to see the scale in the a.m.

Bye-bye 240's - 04/05/2013
230's - 05/12/2013
220's -
210's -
200!! -
Nanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I eat higher carb on my UDs, but due to insulin issues I still aim for fewer than 30 grams carb/meal and fewer than 100 grams for the day, so it's not "high carb", but it's not super low, either. That being said I admit that some of those 30 carbs/meal have ended up being a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a half slice of pecan pie! Or some 700 calories in martinis on a Friday night...

When I began I ended up eating a lot of junk, but over the months the appeal has lessened. Knowing I CAN makes me less likely to actually eat junk. It's like reverse psychology.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
I'm trying to eat some junk!! It's my first UD and I have had some ham and peanut butter, I tried to eat oatmeal but the carbs just got to me, mental blocks created from Atkins and South Beach, can't even touch an apple! . JUDDD is going to suck if I can't relax on my UD's. Tell me, how did you bring yourself to know it was OK??
HotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
You list pumpkin pie, whipped cream, pizza, chocolate chip cookies. And label these foods as carby junk.

Just speaking for myself, I don't think of any of these things as junk, per sae.

Here's sort of how it comes down in my mind.. and remember, I grew up in a more slender age of the United States, and we ate pretty much everything back then, but homemade.

So, I don't think of sugar and flour as *poisons* and abhorrent dietary abominations!
To me, the only time foods begin to become carby junk is when they are commercially prepared and include a whole lot of chemical additives that wouldn't have been a part of the good old recipes my mama used.

So pumpkin pie w/some whipped cream would be delicious as well as offer some good nutrition. The same with pizza.. I love pizza toppings particularly, but only order thin crust if I don't make it here at home. And then I don't eat the rim part. I love bread, but not a big fan of pizza crust.

I bake cookies from scratch. We like them a lot. I don't think of them as being especially nutritionally devoid of merit, although we don't pig out on them. You mentioned two.. and that certainly seems modest to me, and quite a good example of good portion control.

I just don't equate carbs necessarily with junk eating, even when the food item is a dessert. To me, carbs are good additions to my diet along with the other two macros, and I enjoy it all. Just mostly homemade and little made by the manufacturing plants.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Yah, Julie, I know what you mean. It's so exciting to allow myself to eat these things legally again, after being LC for so long. But after all I've learned about the benefits of LC/detrimental affects of carbs, I do still feel guilty that I'm not doing my body any favors in the long run. It's a challenge to find the balance. I'm trying to teach myself to only indulge in the tastiest treats, rather than the old usual crap I used to eat all the time. My grocery store makes these amazing cream cheese filled pumpkin muffins that I adore. So my goal is to allow myself those muffins, which I really adore, but pass up the crappy ding dongs and pop tarts that I used to eat just because they were there. But, boy, those muffins are tempting. Good thing they only come in packages of 4! And Pizza Hut Deep Dish pizza... let's just say there wasn't a scrap of crust remaining the other night.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I did yesterday and I regret it today! No weigh in until after the next dd for me lol. I don't need the scale to tell me I messed up!
There are some foods I can not keep in the house. Coconut macaroons are one of them. Then I get this brilliant idea that I need to eat them all so they're not tempting me the next day. *facepalm*
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
This has been a big struggle for me for every single UD. I keep trying different things to see what works -- today I'm having a lot of fat at lunch to see if that wipes out my afternoon desires to sit around eating chocolate-dipped pretzels and my evening habit of ice cream. But I also agree Pat, there's nothing wrong with a couple of cookies, pizza, or pie with whipped cream. My issue is more with eating that stuff and going over my UD calories, which I don't wanna do.

Quote:
Then I get this brilliant idea that I need to eat them all so they're not tempting me the next day.
Hee, I totally get this logic.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Thanks for bringing this up - I was just pondering my UD food choices. I'd been feeling a bit weird about the fact that I eat some kind of chocolate, cake or cookie every UD. But because of the calorie guide (I do make an effort to keep to 1800-1900) I do ask myself the question, "Do I really want this?" very often. If the answer's "Yes," I enjoy the heck out of it. About half the time it's, "No, I'd rather use those calories on something more substantial and satisfying." I'm finding that my body is gravitating towards a desire for "fun" food balanced with "healthy" food. The thought of eating sugary stuff all day isn't very appealing, but I love that I can incorporate luxurious foods every other day!

I love that JUDDD allows me to find balance. Do I have the right to eat cookies, and only cookies all day? Heck yeah! I have the right to eat whatever I want. Do I want to do that? Nope, because I'm finding a wonderful freedom in the structure of JUDDD.

Last edited by Alcestis; 01-22-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I did yesterday and I regret it today! No weigh in until after the next dd for me lol. I don't need the scale to tell me I messed up!
There are some foods I can not keep in the house. Coconut macaroons are one of them. Then I get this brilliant idea that I need to eat them all so they're not tempting me the next day. *facepalm*
You exactly nailed what my line of problem thinking is! I can't buy anything sweet to eat because I will eat it ALL so it isn't there on a DD. I am trying to change that kind of thinking, but it is slow going.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Well, yes and no. My first couple of UD's, I had candy bars. I guess that would neatly fit into the category of "junk," but I had to give myself permission to do that, else the definition of UD would be incomplete.

But since those couple of UD's, I have found more interest in things that can be made "safe," and still be considered "indulgent."

For example, I used to make an item called Wacky Cookies, which were basically boiled sugar, cocoa, milk and butter, mixed with oats and peanut butter. Majorly high carb, high fat, high everything. So, I completely removed the sugar and reduced the butter, and made 1/6 of a recipe, so - just in case I liked them too much - there woudn't be so many to eat. They turned out wonderful, but still rich, and I can only eat a couple of bites before it's "too much." But I still can have my beloved Wacky Cookies and they aren't as damaging as they otherwise would have been.

I am taking that approach to pretty much every indulgent item I want. Obviously, when I'm going out to eat, that wouldn't be possible, but I go out to eat very seldom, so for me, it's not an issue.

It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too! I JUDDD!
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I don't but I prefer to eat low carb. I eventually want to add in some higher carb veggies like yams and maybe I will even add in a glass of wine or two. I figure when I add them back in the DDs will help me not go overboard. I do UD/DDs because I like the DDs, not because I want to eat sugar, flour, rice, pasta, pizza etc. I have always been able to keep junk food around the house (my husband doesn't low carb) and they don't bother me when I am OP. I made some chocolate chip cookies last week and there are still some left. If I was eating "anything I want", they would have been gone the next day.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I don't but I prefer to eat low carb. I eventually want to add in some higher carb veggies like yams and maybe I will even add in a glass of wine or two. I figure when I add them back in the DDs will help me not go overboard. I do UD/DDs because I like the DDs, not because I want to eat sugar, flour, rice, pasta, pizza etc. I have always been able to keep junk food around the house (my husband doesn't low carb) and they don't bother me when I am OP. I made some chocolate chip cookies last week and there are still some left. If I was eating "anything I want", they would have been gone the next day.
I found that for myself, the longer I was on JUDDD and finding myself completely free to have anything I wanted, the more relaxed and content I became about not feeling any compulsions to have to eat the cookies now, or in much quantity. For myself, that was the happiest place to finally be.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HotMommy
Stats: 5'8 175/127/120-133
WOE: LC primal
Start Date: About 5 years ago
I did eat some junk finally! I ate fish sticks and a muffin I'm so proud of myself and my husband is because he thinks I'm going to stop dieting lol he doesn't need to know! Thanks for the post it inspired me
HotMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMommy View Post
I did eat some junk finally! I ate fish sticks and a muffin I'm so proud of myself and my husband is because he thinks I'm going to stop dieting lol he doesn't need to know! Thanks for the post it inspired me
I bet they were good!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I've read too much over the past year about insulin's effect on our bodies to be able to indulge in junk very often. Even in non-diabetics/non-insulin resistant individuals.

That said, I will have a sugary treat every now and then--but it's 1/16 or less of a pie (rather than a pie cut in 8 slices, I eat 1/2 or 1/3 of one of those slices). And it's homemade, like Pat said.

So while we maybe CAN eat junk on UD's and not gain weight, I still believe health-wise, it's better to limit the sugary, white flour stuff, and will continue to do so.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
I eat "junk" on some UDs, and no junk on others--depends on what's going on that day. But, it hasn't really affected my weight loss, as far as I can tell
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I went carb-wild on UDs for a while, and then after a month or so on JUDDD, I started wanting more of the whole, less-processed foods again. That's not to say I don't eat junky stuff sometimes, because I certainly do. I just find I want less of it. I always say I'm estimating that 75% of my diet is pretty good, and maybe the other 25% is processed, fast food, junk foods, etc. I like it like this. It seems balanced - nothing restricted if I want it, but thankfully I don't usually want it everyday or in large quantities. lol.

Sweets are what I have to watch for. They are my downfall metabolically. I don't even usually enjoy really sweet things like candy that much anymore, only now and then.

Unfortunately, a little while ago was one of those "now" times. I think it's at least partly to do with that TOM. I "had" to have some Jelly Bellies. Pure sugar, lol. Well, after about 6 of them, I was like "blahhhh", and put them away. (yay!)

I tend to want sweets mostly in the form of fruits now. Give me a delicious apple, a sour-sweet grapefruit, or a bowl of whole plain yogurt & berries! At least I'm getting some fiber, phytonutrients, antixodiants, etc. with the sweet.

Oh, but when a chocolate urge hits, well, I haven't found a fruit for that.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-22-2012 at 02:20 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Tyl

Gallery: Tyl
Stats: Working on it!
WOE: LC
Start Date: Sept 2008/Again Dec. 30, 2013
Not really junk but I do make it a point yo eat dessert! Yum!
Tyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Im definitely eating more carbs but they are usually from enjoying oatmeal, bananas, whole wheat bread or eating some of what I make the family. I don't have a major issue with sweets. They see in my house all the time and have been. Im indulging a little more now but not to much. I bought myself some skinny cow ice cream bats and some frozen yogurt and haven't even had any. Tonight is the night tho dang it! Im having one of those skinny cow ice creams tonight!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LouLou
Stats: 170/168/140
Start Date: 11/14/11 restarting 1/2/12
I'm struggling with that also Julie! I really haven't been counting my calories on my UDS which I know is wrong. The scale is not really moving for me. So I'm not sure if it is the UDS or the DDS. I am usually really good about doing 500 on DDS but the last two DDS I have been at home with a sick child! I think I do better at work (and I work around food all day long in a school kitchen). At home I want to eat! I know I really need to count all UDS and DDS this week. I just have to do it! I won't give up!

Lets make a point of eating healthier on our UDS but still allowing some sweets too! Everything in moderation!
LouLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I eat a lot of everything on my UDs; good proteins, good carbs, veggies, fruits, wine, bread, some desserts, fast food, ethnic foods, salads, etc. I don't really know that there's too much that I consider to be "junk" anymore. I think it becomes junk when that's all we eat and the same could be said for anything. If all we eat is apples, we're missing out on other nutrients. If all we eat is meat, same thing. Just MHO, but I love that JUDDD allows me to get so much variety and still lose, feeling satisfied with my choices be they "good" or "bad" by
other people's standards.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did just eat a banana
Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
I did just eat a banana

And this reminds me that I have to make the banana bread by the end of tomorrow! I bought bananas specifically to let them ripen to the point of *banana bread ripe* bananas.

And now I have to actually make the bread!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

And this reminds me that I have to make the banana bread by the end of tomorrow! I bought bananas specifically to let them ripen to the point of *banana bread ripe* bananas.

And now I have to actually make the bread!
Mmmm banana bread. I should make this more often since I'm frequently throwing away over ripe bananas.

have you noticed they go from green to yellow to brown spotted in about 48 hours these days? I think when I was a kid they lasted much longer. Weird.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
hay
Funfetti Freak

Gallery: hay
Girl, if I get some of the same results as you, I will GLADLY be eating my fair share of treats on UDs! I eat pretty healthy most of the time. Yesterday's UD I had whole grain toast w/natural pb and milk, veggie/chicken soup, a quesadilla on high fiber tortillas, but then I also had a few peanut butter cookies to use up some calories.

If I can lose a few pounds and eat like this, I will be more than happy. We'll see though. I will not cut carbs. If this doesn't work for me, I will just go back to normal, moderation type eating.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I do eat some sugary treats and bread now, but I also still enjoy making my low carb treats. I discovered an easy recipe for Apple Crisp. I use the SF canned apple pie filling, drizzle on a little melted butter, and make a topping with a combo of Carbquick,oat fiber, sweetener, cinnamon, and quick oats. (I got the basic recipe from Buttoni's blog.) It's made in an 8" square dish and one serving (1/4th the dish) is only about 175 calories. Last night, I added a serving of No Sugar Added Blue Bunny Vanilla Ice Cream and it was major magic! I also still make a SF cheesecake occasionally, and I'm crazy about The Chicken Lady's Carrot Cake. It doesn't taste low carb/sugar free at all, and the calories are reasonable.

Having been a hard-liner low carber for over 8 years, it's been hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that it's okay to eat what I want on UDs. But, all the information about the health benefits of Intermittant Fasting has convinced me.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
have to limit "junk" to special occasions, but plenty of good carbs on UDs--apples, oatmeal, sprouted wheat english muffins, yum!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
My UDs that fall on the weekends seem to be the worst (or best!) for junky foods. During the week I am busy at work, and I eat a planned breakfast, and pack my lunch so the choices are planned and "healthy". I also cook a nice dinner most work nights. On the weekend we are more "catch-as-catch-can", eating out, or grabbing a snack (chocolated dipped ice cream bar!) at Costco, eating out, picking up something indulgent at the grocery store, etc. I guess I figure if I only have carby junky days on weekend up days, I'll be okay. I hope! I went a little crazy yesterday. Had my chorizo burrito for breakfast, then the aforementioned ice cream bar, a little leftover pasta, a bologna sandwich with chips AND a brownie, and some vietnamese spring rolls. And probably something else I can't remember, lol!!

Today was a 0 cal down day though, as my penance.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote