Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BeeLove
Stats: 160/155/125 - 5'5"
WOE: Calorie Cycling
Start Date: January 1st, 2012
Calorie cycling vs. JUDDD

Hi all,

Total newbie here. I started off the New Year with a membership at Planet Fitness as I'm getting married April 14th and have to fit into my vintage wedding dress which is much smaller than I realized when I ordered it. lol.

I have been working out nearly 5 days a week since. I started out at 160 lbs, and I decided to simply calorie count as I've been incredibly unsuccessful with low carb diets in the past. I was eating around 1300 calories the first week, and I lost 5 lbs and have since stalled. After reading a bit about stalls, I learned that if you're working out so often (I was burning nearly 600 calories at the gym 5 days a week) you actually need to UP your calorie intake so as not to force your body into starvation mode and all that. So I started calorie cycling these past two weeks.

The scale has not budged.

My days have looked like this:
Monday - 2000
Tuesday - 1556
Wednesday - 1461
Thursday - 1379
Friday - 1896
Saturday - 1579
Sunday - 1379

It's just incredibly disheartening to bust your ass in the gym and not see any results. I wouldn't even mind 1lb a week! So I stumbled upon this board and have read the stickies about it and a few random posts from you lot.

I'm lost as to what to do. I'm desperate to get the ball rolling, because I really don't have much time to spend figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'm currently a size 10-12 depending on the pant. My dress is a size 9, but as I said, it's a vintage 1950s dress and sizes are very different than they used to be. It zips up halfway, and as soon as it reaches my waist there's about a 2-3 inch gap between the zipper. I'm assuming I'd have to lose around 15-20 lbs for it to fit properly, which didn't seem so unrealistic three months out, but now that I'm nearly a month in with only 5lbs under me and a stall for two weeks, I'm getting nervous.

So my question is, do you think JUDDD could accomplish this for me, or should I give the dreaded low carb thing a go again? I'm absolutely addicted to carbs, and the induction phase of low carbing really kills me, I always get pretty ill. Anyway, thanks to everyone who got this far in my post, I know it's a crazy ramble!
BeeLove is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
First off, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!!

It appears what you are doing is the zig-zag method, which is probably great, but may not produce the results you are after.

For JUDDD, there is a sticky at the top of the board that has site links to figure out your caloric intake. This can be a guide for you, or you can let us know how tall you are, and your age, and we can help you from there.

As far as results, well...I do not have any metabolic issues, and I started JUDDD 11/13/11 at a tight size 10, and 156 pounds. I am currently 139 pounds and a size 4. My size 6's are falling off me. I have been at this for two months. My calories are: UD- 2,000, DD- <600.

I hope this helps! aboard, and feel free to ask anything you like. This is a very sweet and helpful group here!

When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top....

Goal Weight achieved 02/25/2012 on JUDDD- and still losing!

Last edited by mattsmama; 01-22-2012 at 10:00 AM..
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I think you will do very well on JUDDD! Go to the JUDDD calculator and see what your UD/DD calories should be. If your DD calories are really low - like in the 300s, it's OK to do around 500. I don't know how tall you are but if you did 500 on DDs, you could probably do around 2000-2400 on UDs. Hopefully one of our many experts will be here soon to offer suggestions.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Mattsmama and Juliet! I'm 5'5" and 24yo, so according to the calculator I should do 470 DD and 2359 UD with the amount of exercise I do. I suppose I can't really know without giving it a try, but it's nice to see that your stats were similar to mine Mattsmama and you've lost around what I'm hoping I need to.

I suppose I'd have more of an advantage over the LCers that have just started this way and have gained back because of reintroducing carbs. If worst comes to worst, it's probably better that I try LC after JUDDD as doing it the opposite would be harder.

So tomorrow is Monday and I'll give it a go with my first DD. I've actually learned that it's easier for me to eat 1300 calories than it is to eat 2000, so perhaps eating under 500 won't be that bad.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmama View Post

As far as results, well...I do not have any metabolic issues, and I started JUDDD 11/13/11 at a tight size 10, and 156 pounds. I am currently 139 pounds and a size 4. My size 6's are falling off me. I have been at this for two months. My calories are: UD- 2,000, DD- <600.
Wow Lisa - I'm exactly at where you started! I only dream to be where you are now someday! Although, I'm not sure if I have any metabolic issues. Hm.
LadyKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLove View Post
Thanks Mattsmama and Juliet! I'm 5'5" and 24yo, so according to the calculator I should do 470 DD and 2359 UD with the amount of exercise I do. I suppose I can't really know without giving it a try, but it's nice to see that your stats were similar to mine Mattsmama and you've lost around what I'm hoping I need to.

I suppose I'd have more of an advantage over the LCers that have just started this way and have gained back because of reintroducing carbs. If worst comes to worst, it's probably better that I try LC after JUDDD as doing it the opposite would be harder.

So tomorrow is Monday and I'll give it a go with my first DD. I've actually learned that it's easier for me to eat 1300 calories than it is to eat 2000, so perhaps eating under 500 won't be that bad.
BeeLove, I got used to the 500 or less pretty easily. I fast until lunch or even dinner, and then plan carefully in ************. There are some great recipes for down days in the forum.
I no longer do any low carb. It was a complete and utter disaster for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Wow Lisa - I'm exactly at where you started! I only dream to be where you are now someday! Although, I'm not sure if I have any metabolic issues. Hm.
Oh, thanks!!
It really has been easy for me. Sometimes I cannot believe where I am now. I am so very grateful for this woe. I cannot imagine it any other way now.
You will definitely see the results you want with time. I know that at times, I have wanted to strangle my scale . But, that is just me being impatient and stuck on what I think it should read.
I'll be here cheering you both on

Last edited by mattsmama; 01-22-2012 at 10:28 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Bee,

Most of us put little to no exercise in the calculator and it seems to help with faster weight loss. Not sure if you looked into that option, but I know you're under time constraints and I wouldn't want you to miss out on time that you could be losing, by eating back your exercise calories. Just a thought, and you can do it either way. Good luck and
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:

I would not do any cardio on DD days. As your body adjusts to cycling the DD days with cardio will become a struggle.

IMHO, quality calories will be your best bet in getting into the size you desire. Say no to the junk and there will be less in your trunk.

I myself tried JUDDD for a week and was a miserable mess. I prefer eating at a steadier calorie rate and lifting heavy.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #9

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
I would not do any cardio on DD days. As your body adjusts to cycling the DD days with cardio will become a struggle.

IMHO, quality calories will be your best bet in getting into the size you desire. Say no to the junk and there will be less in your trunk.

I myself tried JUDDD for a week and was a miserable mess. I prefer eating at a steadier calorie rate and lifting heavy.
Plenty of us do cardio on DDs with no ill effects. I did yesterday and felt fine.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #10

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

I went to the JUDDD site and plugged in these stats for you... female, age 24, 65" tall & 150 pounds (figured that would be close) and used the little or no exercise level. The UD normal calories given for you was 1800.

During the time you are trying to lose weight, I think it is a mistake to allow the calculator to give you more calories to eat to replace what you have just worked so hard to lose!!! Why would we want to do that? Once you're at goal weight, you obviously won't want your good exercise to use up any of your precious maintenance calories, so then you will need to eat those extra calculated calories, but not now, when you're trying to lose. Additionally, many feel that the accuracy of those numbers is way over-calculated, so by *eating back* by that calorie number, you are in truth... over eating your UD calories.

So, 1800 calories for your Up Days, and then down to the fasting level of 500 calories for your Down Days, and I'll bet you will see the pounds melting off of you very shortly!

I can see how the one week example of calorie cycling dieting numbers you posted wouldn't be bringing much weight loss with it, as it averages out to be over 1600 calories daily, and for many that is very much in the realm of maintenance eating.

I would continue to exercise, as it is just plainly a healthful thing we do for ourselves. You will have much nicer muscle tone. But I'm one who doesn't think it's necessary to kill yourself in the gym.

I hope this gives you something to go on. It's heartbreaking when we are more than willing to do whatever it takes, and in fact.. we're trying, but the days pass and no results are forthcoming, and time is wasting and we are tending to get a little desperate! But I think these calorie numbers will do a real good job for you!

AND, way better to actually measure your foods and portions than to just eyeball and guess. When you have an important goal date to prepare for, every little effort is an important one, so measure and count those calories. Every single one of them. LOL

Good luck. I expect you will be reporting your losses here very shortly. Stick around here and read, read, read! And then post to keep yourself accountable, and to let us all know how you're doing. We love cheering on our losers, who turn out to be the big winners!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-22-2012 at 10:54 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I also hope you begin to lift weights and not do mindless cardio such as the treadmill and elliptical or stair climber all the time. Some days, my trainer will have me doing burpees and jump rope, other times it will be all about free weights or resistance bands.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Strange...I get much better results (with absolutely no struggle) than I dreamed possible on my down days. Hmmm...

Sorry you had a hard time sticking to JUDDD. I wish you the best with your new woe.

Last edited by mattsmama; 01-22-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:

Yeah, it usually takes longer than just a week to get into JUDDD, so if folks don't give it longer then those few days, I doubt they would all be seeing much benefit coming their way.

Many of us have to start our DDs at higher calorie levels because we can't do the low calorie DDs right off the bat, else we're too hungry and might fail.

And many of us also want to add in more carbs than we've been eating previously, so that triggers a regain of water weight, and that can be a little upsetting at first.

But by having such a huge spread between our DD and UD calories after awhile, we start seeing weight melt off nicely, and so many of us find our metabolism, which had been pretty sluggish, has been spurred back up to operating at a much faster rate, and that is maybe one of the best benefits of all. It sure helped me.

But we all find a way of eating eventually that brings us all the benefits we're searching for, and then we can be lucky enough to have the best of all worlds. Woo Hoo!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Not really your question, but an observation: all those things that say you burned xxx calories on whatever workout? They're very general and VERY inaccurate. What you burn depends on your individual metabolism, what fuel you used, how your body responds to the workout, etc. Don't depend on those generic numbers to increase or decrease calories, because they're not "your" numbers.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Thanks to all the great replies. Dieting can be so confusing with the calories out calories in bit. I was absolutely dumbfounded when I read that I should eat my calories back, as I thought the same thing as you're saying Pat, why should I work so hard only to have to eat all those calories back!?

I don't think I'll have any problems with my DD as I've had an illness that prevented me from eating at all sometimes. I'll post my bio that I put on my calorie count profile so anyone who cares will get it.

Quote:
As a teenager and young adult, I was always overweight. Obese by BMI standards, but everyone always gave me the "yeah, but you carry weight so well" line. My highest weight was 200 lbs.

On a random night out at a club with a friend, I got really ill, attributed it to drinking too much. Two weeks later I was still ill, had lost nearly 20 lbs, went to the emergency room and was told to stop eating fatty things as I most likely had gastritis (fancy term for an inflamed stomach)

Six months later I was down another 30 lbs, simply because my stomach would act up if I ate anything remotely fatty. Didn't seem so bad, I was finally becoming "skinny" as I'd always wanted.

On a random night after eating a lean cuisine meal I got so violently ill that I slept curled up in a ball next to my toilet that night. From that night on, for the next three months, I was nauseous every single day, all day. I could hardly eat saltines without feeling like I was going to be sick. I got down to 120lbs and finally went to see a gastroenterologist. He told me I'd need an endoscopy to see what was up, but that most likely it was something called "gastroparesis" or paralysis of the stomach. After the endoscopy he told me this was indeed the case, as the chicken noodle soup I'd had nearly 20 hours previous was still in my stomach.

Immediately upon getting home I looked up gastroparesis, as what he told me about it was vague. He'd put me on a drug called reglan to help stimulate the stomach and told me to eat bland easy to digest foods. What I found online scared me more than I've ever been scared. Everything I read told me it was basically not cureable, that it happens in young girls at random, and I'd simply have to live with it.

I spent the following six months wanting to die. I could hardly manage to consume 1000 calories let alone the 1800 my doctor wanted me to eat to maintain my weight. He told me if I continued to lose weight I'd have to get a tube inserted into my stomach to keep me from getting dangerously small.

I didn't stop researching. Eventually I stumbled across an article a woman with gastroparesis had written about her success with magnesium. I ran out that day to get the product she used. Immediately I saw a difference. My every 4 day bowel movements started to become every 3, then 2, and once again 1 day! I had stopped the reglan months previous due to horrid side effects, but the magnesium gave me much the same feeling of my stomach contents actually moving. Eventually I started trying some of my old favorite foods instead of just chicken breast with noodles. My calories started going up, and finally I was putting some weight back on.

Today, almost two years later, I'm completely normal. So normal, in fact, that I've started dieting and working out because I was starting to get a little "chunky" again at 160 lbs. I'm also getting married in less than 3 months, and I'd ideally love to be around 135-140 lbs for that, as I looked awesome at that weight and I need to fit in my dress! So that's why I'm here, to revel in the fact that I have to restrict calories again when I thought my life would be a struggle to eat enough!
Also, I was doing a fair amount of cardio on the elliptical and treadmill, but I've been weight lifting nearly 3 days a week as well. I think I'll probably cut back significantly on the cardio I was doing, and only do cardio on my UD.

You guys have been awesome with all this so far, thanks so much for all the replies and I can't wait to see all of your transformations as well!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #16

Amazing story, and I'm so glad you continued to research on your own and use your own head to find a way to resolve your problem. It's so easy to buy into what we are told, especially if it comes from someone who is supposedly an expert.

I expect you will do well now, and will see the weight you are wanting to be by wedding time!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Wow, what a story. So great that you didn't settle for the info they gave you and found something (and something so EASY) to help you. I hope you shared your success with your doctor--maybe it will help someone else someday.

I think JUDDD will do well for you too. Can't wait to see your success posts!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Beelove! And congrats!

I have two suggestions.

One, give JUDDD a try Three weeks, minimum.

And second, Callanetics! It really can whittle away the inches! I used it while doing LC, and though I only lost 3# during that time from LC, I lost inches everywhere. And fast!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
So glad you are back to good health again...and thankgoodness you found an affordable cure! I take magnesium every day...keeps me regular, and is a wonder suppliment for all the smooth muscle in the body, including the heart, and of course, the stomach.

Commit to juddd for a month....try the numbers Pat suggested 1800/500. These were my numbers (5' 5-5" tall, started juddd at 146, made goal in 8 weeks to 133).
Some days I ate a bit more, some a bit less, but I stuck with a good UD/DD rotation, and juddd worked its magic for me.

Cant wait to see pics of you in your beautiful dress!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Unless you do your cardio in the evening - I wouldn't worry about doing it on a DD. In the evening it might be tough - but first thing in the morning helps me to continue fasting until later in the day - when I start to eat.

It's not essential to fast until later in the day - but I find it makes it easier!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Again, I can't thank you lot for the kind words and warm welcome. I never did share my success with my doctor, but I never returned to him once I'd figured out what worked for me, as he wasn't very invested in helping me past the Reglan. His thoughts on the matter were "there is nothing else past putting a pacemaker for your stomach in, and you have to be really far gone and put on a waiting list for that."

Joedi, it's so nice to see people with similar stats so I know a bit of what to expect! I know everyone is different, and we lose weight at different paces, but it gives me a general idea other than going blindly into this.

MintQ8 I'm lucky in that I have a job which allows me to sleep until 9am, so I'm usually late to eat breakfast anyway. I'll simply push it back. I always start my morning with tea with stevia and a tablespoon of FF 1/2 & 1/2 so that does a good job at keeping my hunger down as well. As for the cardio, I think I'll just stick to it on my UDs as I want to focus on the weight lifting as well, so alternating both to coincide with my DDs and UDs should work well.

So here I am on day one! Ready to get the ball rolling again.