Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I need exercise DVD advice!

So I just started yesterday with my work out DVDs. I went a little crazy since I had nowhere I needed to go and did 3 videos! I'm definitely am feeling it in my pecs or whatever the area by your armpit is.

My question is some of my videos include strength training using hand weights. Should I only do one of those every other day and then cardio every other day? I used to do weights every other day at the gym because I always heard your muscles need a rest in between days. Does it really matter?

Here are the 3 I did yesterday:

Jillian's 30 day shred (weights and strength training with cardio, too)
Pilates made simple (some hand weights used - not much of a hard workout)
Bob Harper's Weight Loss yoga (no weights but boy do I have poor balance )

Here are the other ones I have or will be here by Tuesday:

Pilates Conditioning for Weight Loss (an older DVD I found at the thrift store)
Yoga and Pilates (another older DVD I found at the thrift store)
Jillian's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (I believe this is straight Cardio)
Julliana's No More Trouble Zones (lots of hand weight work)
Pilates Evolution (coming Tuesday - not cardio so every other day?)
Exhale: Core Fusion - Body Sculpt (coming Tuesday-strength but no hand weights or cardio)

I really want to focus on the Callanetics Evolution when it arrives. Should I only do that every other day then cardio every other day? I really dislike cardio and hate sweating, by the way, but I'll do it. I'd be happy if I did the weight bearing ones everyday but I think it's a No No.

Sorry this is so long and I appreciate any advice you can give

Last edited by julietcc; 01-22-2012 at 09:37 AM..
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Julie, my experience with weights is that it does matter. I used to be a pretty steady lifter, and the small muscle fibers need time to repair. This is what will cause you to add new muscle. The tears that your muscles experience actually wind up making them stronger. But they must have a day of rest. Some lifters like to do upper body one day, lower the next. That is also an option.
When I go to the gym to lift, I always start and end with light (and I mean LIGHT) cardio. This is a habit more that anything, but one that I find keeps me from getting too sore.

You will be building new muscle with the Callanetics even if you do not utilize weights, I do believe.

When everything feels like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top....

Goal Weight achieved 02/25/2012 on JUDDD- and still losing!
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Lisa. So I'm guessing all of my yoga, pilates, and Callanetics DVDs would fall under the "weights" category and I shouldn't do any of those two days in a row. I think my Jillians Banish Fat Boost Metabolism is the only true cardio one I have.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Yeah, I think Pilates and yoga both develop the deep core muscles (which is why those and Callanetics produce such beautiful results!!).

That Jillian Micheals is tough, huh?
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmama View Post
That Jillian Micheals is tough, huh?
Yes she is tough! I'll do her Banish Fat one today. I've never done that one before and I'm a little nervous
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
I think the 30 day shred has a good combo of weights, abs and cardio. But I would say if you are just trying to tone that a dvd with weights only would be good
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Wow, Julie, you've really jumped in there! Would you mind posting again later to let us know what your favorites are? I am really interested in some strength training videos that are not only effective but also don't require a ton of equipment (oh, and that aren't going to kill my out of shape, 51-year old body!)

I weight trained YEARS ago and loved the feeling of my toned body. I joined a gym a few months ago and told the guy during my free training session that I needed something doable, 3x week, that would give me a decent, whole body toning. My intent was good, but the reality is it takes me a half-hour to get to the gym, I work, and have two teen kids. I've let these be my excuses and am wasting the membership. I know I have to make it a HABIT! By getting a good video, that is as close as my downstairs family room, at least one of my excuses is gone. And maybe that smaller, less intimidating step will inspire me to try out new things at the gym later.

Good luck and I'll look forward to your comments on the ones you like the best.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I've been doing the p90x program and today was supposed to be yoga. I did the biggest loser yoga DVD. I like it better. I really like the program though because you do different muscles every day. Here's an example of one of the programs. Chest & back, plyometrics, shoulders & arms, yoga, legs and back, kempo, stretch or rest. I really like that I know what to work on each day even if I use a different DVD. Sometimes I use taebo on the kempo day. I hope this helps.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bkwrm
Stats: 194/185/125
WOE: JUDDD/Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Wow, Julie, you've really jumped in there! Would you mind posting again later to let us know what your favorites are? I am really interested in some strength training videos that are not only effective but also don't require a ton of equipment (oh, and that aren't going to kill my out of shape, 51-year old body!)

I weight trained YEARS ago and loved the feeling of my toned body. I joined a gym a few months ago and told the guy during my free training session that I needed something doable, 3x week, that would give me a decent, whole body toning. My intent was good, but the reality is it takes me a half-hour to get to the gym, I work, and have two teen kids. I've let these be my excuses and am wasting the membership. I know I have to make it a HABIT! By getting a good video, that is as close as my downstairs family room, at least one of my excuses is gone. And maybe that smaller, less intimidating step will inspire me to try out new things at the gym later.

Good luck and I'll look forward to your comments on the ones you like the best.
Try googling "bodylastics". I have them and they are effective and inexpensive.
bkwrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
My question is some of my videos include strength training using hand weights. Should I only do one of those every other day and then cardio every other day? I used to do weights every other day at the gym because I always heard your muscles need a rest in between days. Does it really matter?
When you say strength training, are we talking heavy weights like P90X or Insanity of stuff like that, or are you talking like, you're doing some cardio while holding 1-5 pound hand weights? Because if you're lifting heavy to failure, you would need to let your body heal between sessions, but if you're talking small hand weights then that's really more cardio.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
When you say strength training, are we talking heavy weights like P90X or Insanity of stuff like that, or are you talking like, you're doing some cardio while holding 1-5 pound hand weights? Because if you're lifting heavy to failure, you would need to let your body heal between sessions, but if you're talking small hand weights then that's really more cardio.
Nothing more than arm work with 3 or 5 pound weights. But even I can "lift to failure" with those if I do enough reps
Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I'm no strength training expert, but I'm pretty sure light weights and a ton of reps will not do much for you, you'd be MUCH better off lifting small reps (less than 12) and heavy weights. I would not personally consider those videos to be strength training then, I don't *think* you'd have issues doing them daily with those low weights, but again, I'm not an expert! I've just been basically told in the past, lift heavy or go home I think it would depend on the exercise though, I would consider something like a pull up to be strength training even without additional weights (I can't even do ONE pullup), or a bench dip with body weight is more than enough for me. But a dumbell curl for my biceps with 5 pounds will not do anything for my biceps, if I did that in a video I would not have any issue doing it again the next day, it would depend on the muscle group!

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-24-2012 at 03:57 PM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote