Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cara7166
Stats: 325/217/200 next goal!
WOE: Atkins for first 65 pounds, then HCG
Start Date: Nov 1, 2011
Hi JUDDD friends...thinking about JUDDD

I know some of you from other posts on this forum...I'm actually on Atkins. Have been on Atkins since November 1 - no cheats - lost 43 lbs. Unfortunately been about the same weight give or take a pound each way for the last month+. I'm a LITTLE frustrated about that, but in general I like the way of eating and I feel good so I've kept going. I have a big event with work that is this week and I've been trying to get past it before I make any changes to tweak.

Anyway, I have a cruise I am leaving on in February...we are headed for New Orleans and going to spend a few days there then hopping on NCL. I will be gone for 10 days on this trip. I had originally (back when we booked the trip in the fall) fully planned to go 'off plan' for the trip. Now I don't feel that I want to just throw everything to the wind - I've worked awfully hard for those 43 lbs and I don't want to see everything I have done be gone in a 10 day eating fest. However I am having some thoughts about deprivation and they aren't good thoughts...I have had a few different ideas about how to handle this trip and one of them has been JUDDD. In fact, I am almost sure I will do JUDDD at maintenance, and have even thought about switching to see if it would help me move downward at this point in my journey.

I have read that some people will see an initial bump up when switching over from atkins, but I figure that will likely happen on this trip anyway (due to salt and etc) even if I stayed 100% on atkins.

My other choices if I do not do JUDDD would be 1) stay on atkins unless I desperately want something and then have a bite (this is something I can do - and in fact this worked well for me through the holidays, I ended up not even HAVING a bite because I didn't want it...but gave myself that permission to do so). 2. try to just stay on atkins the whole time. 3. something i have not thought of yet!

I definitely want something with some control. Of course JUDDD sounds the most fun. I am wondering how hard a DD might be to do on a cruise.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Trying to make a decision...we leave Feb 2nd!

Cara
cara7166 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I know our JUDDD friend Leo has done JUDDD on a cruise very successfully--I would try it before you leave so you know what to expect--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Cara, why don't you do both? There is absolutely no reason why you have to change the foods you are eating right now. You can continue with your Atkins food choices, remain on 100% Atkins foods, remain at whatever low Carb Atkins food level you are now doing, remain in ketosis eating your Atkins plan..... and just do it all following the JUDDD calorie rotation plan.

You don't have to go OFF of Atkins, just to go ONTO this Up Day Down Day diet.

Then, this is very likely to give you that boost back into weight loss that has been mostly absent for the last month, will give you more time to think about whether you really want to go off of very low carb yet (you haven't been doing it for all that long) and will get you into the JUDDD alternation routine before the cruise.. to see if it's what you want to stick with while you are on that vacation.

You don't have to add carbs back into your diet unless you want to. JUDDD isn't a plan that calls for eating carbs. It doesn't have anything to do with your food choices at all. Only with how MUCH you eat, calorie-wise. You can be high carb, or remain low carb. Your dietary choices will rest entirely with you.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
Cara, I agree with Pat. I just started on JUDDD this week, but have been low carbing for a long time. I am staying with the low carb because I still have weight to lose and have found with for my health, LC is the way to go. You could try cycling and then when it gets to cruise time, add in some "treats" on up days. You will feel like you indulged and yet, still managed your plans. Welcome and good luck with your choices!!
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
No, Ouis, I was doing JUDDD at the time, but it really doesn't work well on a cruise, so I just generally watched calories and ate low carb.

Cara- I always eat low carb, and I use JUDDD to restrict my calories because I cannot lose unless I keep my calories low.

I've been on several cruises, since I've been doing JUDDD, and it's practically impossible to do 'true' DDs on a cruise. You will really feel incredibly deprived if you try. I do try to control my calories, but I definitely don't do true DDs on a cruise.

However, since you're on Atkins, I'd suggest you stay there for the cruise. It's very easy to eat low carb and enjoy your food on a cruise because not only are there many choices, but your waiters will bring you anything you request (that's on the ship). So if you like an entree but don't want the potatoes, they'll bring you extra veggies. No sauce on the meat? It will arrive without the sauce. By eating low carb and trying to control my calories, I've never gained on a cruise--and I've even managed to lose a few pounds.

I drink wine at dinner (which I don't do at home), and I may have one or two desserts. Portions are small, so you can handle an 'occasional' indulgence.

From your post, I got the impression that you were planning to throw caution to the winds and eat unrestrictedly on the cruise--and rely on DDs to 'salvage' your loss. You can try that, but from my experience, it won't work unless you can manage true DDs--which, in my experience, was impossible in the cruise environment.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWC View Post
Cara, I agree with Pat. I just started on JUDDD this week, but have been low carbing for a long time. I am staying with the low carb because I still have weight to lose and have found with for my health, LC is the way to go. You could try cycling and then when it gets to cruise time, add in some "treats" on up days. You will feel like you indulged and yet, still managed your plans. Welcome and good luck with your choices!!
There is always the problem though.. when you start adding those *treats* back in.. that regardless of whether you are on JUDDD or still on your original plan, that you will regain some of that lost water weight with the reintroduction of carbs in that treat.

JUDDD won't prevent your body from retaining water from a carb splurge any more than if you just had that cheat on your regular plan. LOL So if you alter your low carb diet and start eating some carbs again, and regain some water weight.. don't blame it on JUDDD. And don't expect JUDDD to be able to prevent it from happening.

Many of us who plan on eating more carbs than we did previously, just bite the bullet and start adding the carbs back. And we accept the regained water weight. And then we take that weight as our new starting weight and lose weight down from there.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Quote:
but it really doesn't work well on a cruise, so I just generally watched calories and ate low carb.

and

it's practically impossible to do 'true' DDs on a cruise. You will really feel incredibly deprived if you try.
I am so glad to see this. JUDD really isn't a great option for a cruise. Who wants to go every other day without eating? (Hint: Not *I*!)

I have cruised a LOT. Every one of them has been low carb; yes, even back to 1999.

The great thing about low carbing on a cruise is you really don't give up anything, there's never a time when you "can't" eat, and you can be completely full and satisfied - way too full to eat the carby garbage you know isn't good for you anyway.

I started JUDDD about a week before my latest cruise, but I never intended to JUDDD during it. What I found was that even though I LC'd and sometimes ate more than I "should" have, I got back without a weight gain! Although I rarely gain very much weight on a cruise, I have gained a few pounds LC'ing on a cruise in the past. But not this time, and I can't help but feel like JUDDD had something to do with that, even though I had only been on it for a week.

My next cruise is in early May - the Low Carb cruise, and of course, I fully intend to LC while I am on it, just like all my others.

The difference this time, though, is I plan to be at a way lower weight before the cruise starts, and I don't expect to gain much while I'm on it. And -in addition - once I get back into the normal rotation, any small gain I might have had - will simply go away.

I LOVE JUDDD! (But trying to JUDDD on a cruise would just be too much torture for me!)

Last edited by gharkness; 01-21-2012 at 12:00 PM..
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara7166 View Post
I know some of you from other posts on this forum...I'm actually on Atkins. Have been on Atkins since November 1 - no cheats - lost 43 lbs. Unfortunately been about the same weight give or take a pound each way for the last month+. I'm a LITTLE frustrated about that, but in general I like the way of eating and I feel good so I've kept going. I have a big event with work that is this week and I've been trying to get past it before I make any changes to tweak.

Anyway, I have a cruise I am leaving on in February...we are headed for New Orleans and going to spend a few days there then hopping on NCL. I will be gone for 10 days on this trip. I had originally (back when we booked the trip in the fall) fully planned to go 'off plan' for the trip. Now I don't feel that I want to just throw everything to the wind - I've worked awfully hard for those 43 lbs and I don't want to see everything I have done be gone in a 10 day eating fest. However I am having some thoughts about deprivation and they aren't good thoughts...I have had a few different ideas about how to handle this trip and one of them has been JUDDD. In fact, I am almost sure I will do JUDDD at maintenance, and have even thought about switching to see if it would help me move downward at this point in my journey.

I have read that some people will see an initial bump up when switching over from atkins, but I figure that will likely happen on this trip anyway (due to salt and etc) even if I stayed 100% on atkins.

My other choices if I do not do JUDDD would be 1) stay on atkins unless I desperately want something and then have a bite (this is something I can do - and in fact this worked well for me through the holidays, I ended up not even HAVING a bite because I didn't want it...but gave myself that permission to do so). 2. try to just stay on atkins the whole time. 3. something i have not thought of yet!

I definitely want something with some control. Of course JUDDD sounds the most fun. I am wondering how hard a DD might be to do on a cruise.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Trying to make a decision...we leave Feb 2nd!

Cara
Hi Cara! to JUDDD!

Great replies here.

You can stay on LC and do JUDDD. This woe isn't about LC or high carb, it's about cycling calories while you eat the way you want to eat.

If you get on JUDDD now, and get the 2 week "induction" under your belt and keep going, you may have the benefit of the "fat-burning gene" working for you while you are on your trip by that time. You will likely see gains from carb/salt/etc. water. But they might not be as much as if you weren't on JUDDD, and they might come off faster.

Try to do a great 2 weeks starting out on JUDDD, keeping the DD, especially. And doing regular DD as much as you can during your trip, even if you indulge in higher carbs on the cruise, especially since you would be so new to JUDDD. But if it works out that you can't do any DD during the trip, feel free to join us again when you get back.

Enjoy!!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-21-2012 at 12:06 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

great, guys, thank you for all the input!! Sorry about the double post...a bunch of my posts this morning got 'eaten' when the forum was down and I thought this one had too!! Now I see it!
Old 01-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I really appreciate this input. It sounds like maybe I will stick to my original idea of transitioning to JUDDD a little later then, or I might try it with the low carb after i get back. It sounds like perhaps the cruise isn't the time to test this out.

I am leaning towards what Leo said right now of staying low carb and maybe allowing myself a few bites of whatever is tempting me (if anything even does).

I am also thinking that if I tweak things in any way, I should probably wait until after I get back from this to do so because I am not going to be able to accurately test ANYTHING while eating all this food I didn't prepare.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cara7166 View Post
I really appreciate this input. It sounds like maybe I will stick to my original idea of transitioning to JUDDD a little later then, or I might try it with the low carb after i get back. It sounds like perhaps the cruise isn't the time to test this out.

I am leaning towards what Leo said right now of staying low carb and maybe allowing myself a few bites of whatever is tempting me (if anything even does).

I am also thinking that if I tweak things in any way, I should probably wait until after I get back from this to do so because I am not going to be able to accurately test ANYTHING while eating all this food I didn't prepare.
That sounds like a good plan! Enjoy your trip and JUDDD will be here when you get back!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
I agree with many others. I could never do a DD on a cruise. Keep doing low carb because you can do that very decadently on a cruise, then come join us doing JUDDD right after! You can spend the extra time reading all about the wonderful JUDDD way of eating we all love.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote