Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
4 DDs, 3 UDs, my first "official" weigh in and more questions

Started 1/13. I hadn't weighed myself that day, but the day before weighed 174.4

This morning the scale said 173. Not exactly world shattering for the first week, especially since after my first DD I weighed 172.4.

I think I didn't do it right. As I've written, I have a low DD-345, and my UD isn't all that high for a former LCer-1710. Anyway, what I'm sure happened is that I was so hungry on my DDs-headachey and light headed, that I went overboard on the UDs, which I hear sometimes happens at first.

I stuck pretty close to the DDs- 453, 398, 390, and 453. NOtice how the cals went up during the week.

My updays were 1734, 1883, and, gulp about 2494. DDs are pretty accurate, UDs are as close an estimate as I could make on ******.

So my average cals for the week, according to ******, are 1225. I guess that answers my question, right?? In the end, isn't it the amount of calories consumed?

Anyway, I'll give it another week, and try to find foods that fill me up. After so long LC, it's hard for me to figure this out, especially for work.

And of course, I'll take the loss, anything is positive. But I have to decide if the four days/week of real hunger are worth it. Of course, I haven't been able to lose and keep on LC, so what can I "lose"?

tomorrow is an evening with the "girls" so I am trying a MD today-100 cals sound ok?? I know you are supposed to be strict the first two weeks, but I started this kind of on a whim...

Please give me any comment, criticism, and advice you can think of.

And, thank you all for your insights.

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I'm doing this low carb too and my weigh ins are not spectacular either. I am down a total of 4 lbs since 1/6 which is probably about the same as I would lose on regular LC. My UD numbers are no where near yours though. I do try to get my UDs as high as I can but I've decided not to force myself to hit a particular number (and from the sound of the actual plan, we don't have to.) I do love the DD's and that is why I do this. I know the scale will go down (just like it would on regular LC) so I am going to stick with it just for the down days and for the fact that I will add higher carb veggies eventually (such as fresh yams). I think doing that every other day will be better than doing it every day.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/149 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I think the first month or so is a time of experimenting and allowing our bodies (and our minds) get used to this new WOE. I started on 12/13 and lost 5lbs in my first month with an average of 1300 cals per day. I just tried to hit 500 on DDs (progress, not perfection!). 5lbs in a month isn't earth shattering, but it's in the right direction. I usually work out, but I haven't since I threw my back out badly in December.

It took me a few weeks to stop dreading the DDs, and to find the kind of food that would make me feel satisfied on those days. I do hope you keep trying this WOE for at least a month. I have more energy, don't need as much sleep, my skin is brighter, and my clothes are looser (feels like I lost more than 5lbs!). There are many who will give you excellent advice, so hang in there a little longer and see how you feel after a few more weeks!
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
Well, at least your scale is heading downwards. Today is the end of my first week and I'm at a fat 0 loss/gain. Down 1-1.5 lbs after a DD and up 1-1.5 lbs after a UD. I'm trying not to be disappointed, but it's difficult as the first week of a new diet is usually the best due to water weight loss. But I told myself when I started this I would give it two weeks, and I shall.

Let's support each other in our endeavours and try not to be too disappointed. I have to do this low to medium carb due to having diabetes, and I'm wondering if that might be the problem since it seems folks who are eating higher carb lose better on this woe? Just pondering....
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Started 1/13. I hadn't weighed myself that day, but the day before weighed 174.4

This morning the scale said 173. Not exactly world shattering for the first week, especially since after my first DD I weighed 172.4.

I think I didn't do it right. As I've written, I have a low DD-345, and my UD isn't all that high for a former LCer-1710. Anyway, what I'm sure happened is that I was so hungry on my DDs-headachey and light headed, that I went overboard on the UDs, which I hear sometimes happens at first.

I stuck pretty close to the DDs- 453, 398, 390, and 453. NOtice how the cals went up during the week.

My updays were 1734, 1883, and, gulp about 2494. DDs are pretty accurate, UDs are as close an estimate as I could make on ******.

So my average cals for the week, according to ******, are 1225. I guess that answers my question, right?? In the end, isn't it the amount of calories consumed?

Anyway, I'll give it another week, and try to find foods that fill me up. After so long LC, it's hard for me to figure this out, especially for work.

And of course, I'll take the loss, anything is positive. But I have to decide if the four days/week of real hunger are worth it. Of course, I haven't been able to lose and keep on LC, so what can I "lose"?

tomorrow is an evening with the "girls" so I am trying a MD today-100 cals sound ok?? I know you are supposed to be strict the first two weeks, but I started this kind of on a whim...

I just want to say please try to stick with it at least 2 weeks. See how you feel then, and I mean literally feel - because it takes about 2 weeks for the benefits from the DDs to kick in, including the fat-burning gene to be fully turned on. I know it was around 2 weeks on JUDDD when I started having less inflammation, better moods, etc. I keep doing JUDDD (and variations of it) simply for the health benefits now that I'm down to the weight I wanted.

How about moving your DD numbers up to 500, then give yourself another 100 cal or so if you need it above that? That way you aren't so hungry and head-achey on DD.

Some of us have to start higher on DD and work down, and maybe you would feel better doing that too.

I had to start around 750 calories and work my way down to 500 but I didn't stay down there since 500 - 800 calories worked for me.

On UDs... I am an inch shorter than you and I lost well on 1700-1800, so perhaps your UD calories could be at least 1800?

Just a reminder too, when you come from LC and add back carbs, even if they are healthier ones like veggies, you will retain some water at first, but it's temporary.

If you're having too much appetite suppression on UD due to LC, I know there were some posts around here about about getting your calories in when you still have more to go. I will look for it. It's OK to not eat up to them now and then if you can't, but the problem is when it's day after day, it makes the calorie swing between DD/UD much less, and then the body starts to look on it like a regular low cal diet and adjusts. With JUDDD's wide calorie range every other day, it can never get used to it.

I hope you have a good day today, and I'm sure more people will be along to encourage and advise.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

Congrats! To my way of thinking, you did well for a first week of JUDDD. For everyone who loses some that first week, there seems to be somebody who does not, so you're in the group that started off well.

You ask, ".....In the end, isn't it the amount of calories consumed?....." and the answer to that overall is, pretty much ".....Yes, but....." and then that's where all the variables come in.

There are so many outside factors that also affect that number on the scale each morning, that to pin it all on calorie consumption of a single week can really mislead you. Especially with females, we spend years of our lives in a state of ongoing monthly water retention/release fluctuation that the issue of weight gain and loss by being able to rely 100% on a scale reading flies right out the window. For women on a diet, we can lose a pound of fat and gain two pounds from water retention and be very, very misled if we rely emotionally on a scale reading.

Then there's the possible water retention caused by some of the foods that we may have included in our diet. Salty foods, carby foods, etc. Did you come to JUDDD from eating low carb previously and are now adding in some additional carby foods? Could you be one of the new JUDDDers who find they lost body fat but simultaneously regained a bit of water weight, which offset the loss number on the scale?

Usually, the more you get into JUDDD, the more smoothly the weight loss effort seems to go. It isn't unusual at all for a body to take a week or so to transition into it, so if you've lost weight this first week, Congratulations.

And if you aren't actually measuring and counting calories on UDs, we don't truly know whether your UD calorie figures are correct, but overall your calorie numbers seem like they should work OK.

The big thing I would be interested in is if you've upped your carbs since starting JUDDD. This is usually the biggest single reason someone doesn't lose much weight right at the start, and it's not unusual for folks to gain weight at first!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
The big thing I would be interested in is if you've upped your carbs since starting JUDDD. This is usually the biggest single reason someone doesn't lose much weight right at the start, and it's not unusual for folks to gain weight at first!
Yes, and there can be fat loss going on under the seemingly "slow" loss or no loss, that only reveals itself in a whooosh later. The fat cells give up their fat but fill themselves with water as a type of "place holder" in case they can refill with fat at some point. But after a while, they give up and empty, and that loss of the water causes a drop on the scale.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Sophie Yes, I will be sticking to it-stubborn yankee here. I feel great all the time and don't know how much better I could feel at age 65, so I don't expect much change that way.

I am eating more carbs; according to ******, this week averaged 55. That is certainly more than my usual 20 or less, but sure not high...

It's interesting, when I finally am able to sleep on a DD, I am reallly hungry, but when I wake up, I am not. Odd...BUT I NEVER have a problem eating my UD cals...

Sohappy yes, I am coming from 9 years of a low carb lifestyle, although obviously, I had "off" times and couldn't seem to lose, ending up gaining back 30 of the 80 I originally lost on WW/LC, which is why I am trying this. Higher carbs, as stated above, but still way below the SAD.

One of those UDs I went a little "mad" and ate stupidly-not my way at all.....a bit of vodka may have been involved....

I obsessively journal everything to the best of my ability, even to samples taken at Whole Foods...

Clothes fit the same.

Also, I haven't had a whoosh in 10 years...

I miss typed the cals I plan to have on my MD today (should be UD today) in prep for tomorrow's party-1000. Is that a good plan?

So, here I will stay for now. All I need to do is find filling food for those pesky DDs. I can't believe some of you look forward to them!!

Thank you all so much!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Can we ask what your meals look like on DDs?
I find that lots of protein makes me feel much fuller and better that if I fill up on veggies alone.

I also have higher DDs, which makes things easier for me too. I could not do 500cal DDs. I average 600-700 and feel great on DDs now. I don't feel depreived at all.

Last edited by janetsbreeze; 01-20-2012 at 08:11 AM..
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
OP, I am new at JUDDDing so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
I am an expert "dieter." I've been doing is since my early teens or thinking about dieting at least. I think for those of us who have been LCing long term, we may not get the big "whooshhh" of a brandy new dieter because we won't have a ton of water weight to lose. 1.5 lb or 2lbs a week is certainly a safe and respectable weight loss amount. Our bodies may need longer on this WOE to reset and start burning calories.

My next thought is to stay away from the scale (perhaps not as much as me who doesn't own a scale.) I think it would be very frustrating to hop on the scale daily and not see a drop. Spacing out your weigh ins may take some of that agony away.

Keep up the good work!
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Janet I have been having coffee w/Splenda and FF half n half, then, as late as I can stand (I'm at work) a hard boiled egg-large. Then on the two DDs I had this week, I had that cabbage, broth and laughing cow thing for lunch. I had tilapia with fennel en papilotte for one dinner, about 5oz; 3oz chicken breast with homemade broth for another 2 dinners, and a Nutrisystem dinner for my first DD dinner

WW I am an "expert" too. I think I went on my first diet-as I recall it involved an ice cream sandwich for lunch...at 13 and have been at it ever since-now 65. I need the accountability of the weigh in-I find if I don't weigh, it's "out of sight, out of mind". Boy did I find this out in the month between Tgiving and Xmas I realize that 1.5-2 lbs a week is certainly respectible-I just have to decide if the pain of the DDs is worth it, until, of course, I find stuff that will make me not be panting with hunger.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I just have to decide if the pain of the DDs is worth it, until, of course, I find stuff that will make me not be panting with hunger.
Increase your DD to 500 if needed, and allow yourself up to 700 that you may or may not use. Once the DD become a little easier, you may want to lower those calories to 500 or less, but early on give yourself some time to adjust.

I know my experience isn't going to be the same as everyone, but I started out closer like around 750 calorie DD and worked my way down. When I got down to 500 or less, it was still a challenge for me (and some people can do less than 500 without batting an eye!). But since I still lost weight and had the good health effect from a higher DD, I just decided to not suffer and to keep it between 500 - 800. I aim for 500, but usually fall around 600 - 750. There's something about knowing you have those extra calories to play with that takes the stress out of it quite a bit.

So if DDs do not start coming any easier, that's another option - raise the number (at least in your mind - even if you end up not using the calories).

Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/151.6/149 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Quote:
I just have to decide if the pain of the DDs is worth it, until, of course, I find stuff that will make me not be panting with hunger.
I've had DDs where I was practically stamping my feet and throwing a tantrum, but if I hadn't gone through that, I wouldn't be at the point where I rather enjoy them now. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger?!

IT GETS BETTER
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
1.5 lb or 2lbs a week is certainly a safe and respectable weight loss amount.
Absolutely!

There's quite a few people here who eat 600+ calories on their DDs. There's at least one person who lost all her remaining weight on JUDDD doing 700 calories on her DDs! I don't think that you should be suffering -- I'd add an extra hundred or so calories in protein and see if that help.

Have you tried the oat fiber muffins? Those really helped me at first. What about broth? I make mine spicy with crushed red pepper, a splash of vinegar/soy sauce, and thickened a bit with gluc. A big bowl of that makes me feel full for hours.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote