Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
(JUDDD) Alternate Day Diet study

Since May 2003 we have experimented with alternate day calorie restriction, one day consuming 20-50% of estimated daily caloric requirement and the next day ad lib eating, and have observed health benefits starting in as little as two weeks, in insulin resistance, asthma, seasonal allergies, infectious diseases of viral, bacterial and fungal origin (viral URI, recurrent bacterial tonsillitis, chronic sinusitis, periodontal disease), autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis), osteoarthritis, symptoms due to CNS inflammatory lesions (Tourette’s, Meniere’s) cardiac arrhythmias (PVCs, atrial fibrillation), menopause related hot flashes. We hypothesize that other many conditions would be delayed, prevented or improved, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, brain injury due to thrombotic stroke atherosclerosis, NIDDM, congestive heart failure.

Source: The effect on health of alternate day calorie restriction: eating less and more than needed on alternate days prolongs life. Johnson JB, Laub DR, John S. Med Hypotheses. 2006;67(2):209-11.

Edited to add: Oops, meant to post this in the JUDDD forum. A Moderator can move this to the JUDDD forum, please? Thank you.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-19-2012 at 06:26 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
AND, you guys get to eat carbs.

Jealous.

Don't think I could do it but I wish I could!!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmirror View Post
AND, you guys get to eat carbs.

Jealous.

Many of us started off thinking we couldn't do it, so you're not alone there!

And you know what? Many of us couldn't do it when we first started! I was one of them.

But just trying was enough. The benefits started even though I wasn't *doing it* as well as I was supposed to be, but I kept trying, and got better. And as the remarkable appetite normalization kicked in, and the eating compulsions faded away, and the appetite suppression of fasting kicked in, it became easy!

And the benefits started rolling in! I will never go back to eating in any other fashion.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thank you for posting this Pat. This is EXTREMELY motivating to me and I am going to stick with this and watch the improvements. Excellent!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Mirror, I didn't think I could do it either but I gave it a try and it wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be!

Sophie, do you have the link to this article? I'd like to send it to my mother.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Many of us started off thinking we couldn't do it, so you're not alone there!

And you know what? Many of us couldn't do it when we first started! I was one of them.

But just trying was enough. The benefits started even though I wasn't *doing it* as well as I was supposed to be, but I kept trying, and got better. And as the remarkable appetite normalization kicked in, and the eating compulsions faded away, and the appetite suppression of fasting kicked in, it became easy!

And the benefits started rolling in! I will never go back to eating in any other fashion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Thank you for posting this Pat. This is EXTREMELY motivating to me and I am going to stick with this and watch the improvements. Excellent!
Haha, I couldn't do it right at first either! I think my first DD was something like 800-900 calories, lol. I'd have to look it up to be sure the exact number. But JUDDD worked anyway because I kept trying and kept doing UD/DD/UD/DD and gradually lowering the DD number... but usually it stayed between 550-700. I went lower at last to 500 and below, but I think I was already at goal by then, lol, so I decided to keep doing 500 - 800 (usually ends up being 500-750). And it still works.

But see in the beginning, I was making it like 10x harder on myself without realizing it! by not sticking to what would have kept me fuller and more satisfied on DD and that was protein! Instead I tried to go on veggie soup and some lite bread for a meal, and it just didn't cut it for me like it does many others. I had to have lean proteins like fish, shrimp, egg white, deli ham, etc. and round it out with stir fried veggies or salad. Or make it into a big sandwich.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-20-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'm on my second round. First time, I fell into sugary carbs in a very destructive way. This time, no such problem (only having sugar at rare times or celebratory times). Never say never--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Mirror, I didn't think I could do it either but I gave it a try and it wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be!

Sophie, do you have the link to this article? I'd like to send it to my mother.
The Advantages of Using Intermittent Fasting / Feeding (IF) | The IF Life with 2 Meal Mike

I don't know if there are items sold on the site, so the link may or may not work. But it's theiflife (the IF - intermittent fasting life) website. I haven't spent anymore time on that site other than to look at that one article, so I don't know what else is on there, but I had it saved to do more looking.

The article is dated May 3, 2011 and it's titled The Advantages of Using Intermittent Fasting / Feeding (IF)

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-20-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I did only 2 days. I was starving on the first day and binging on the next. Does that even out?

I can sure see how choosing lean protein/veg over bread on a dd would really help. I remember on the dd having a white roll with turkey on it and I was highly, highly miserable by 4pm.

I quit drinking 3 months ago and it would be really, truly nice to have a decadent meal and dessert every other day. Sometimes I feel like I can't have anything.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
thanks for the link, sophie. I have copied it to show to DH...if i ever manage to tell him I am juddding!
hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Sophie!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Mirror -- I think the roll probably spiked your insulin and made you hungry. Plus, having only been days into the program, you weren't benefiting from appetite suppression yet. You really need to give it a week or two before you get that benefit.

Quote:
I quit drinking 3 months ago and it would be really, truly nice to have a decadent meal and dessert every other day. Sometimes I feel like I can't have anything.
It really is nice!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
This is my 3rd time. And I think I am finely
doing it right.

Some dds are still hard. But most are pretty easy now.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
oh thanks for posting the link..
for all the wonderful things juddd
is doing for me.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Since May 2003 we have experimented with alternate day calorie restriction, one day consuming 20-50% of estimated daily caloric requirement and the next day ad lib eating, and have observed health benefits starting in as little as two weeks, in insulin resistance, asthma, seasonal allergies, infectious diseases of viral, bacterial and fungal origin (viral URI, recurrent bacterial tonsillitis, chronic sinusitis, periodontal disease), autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis), osteoarthritis, symptoms due to CNS inflammatory lesions (Tourette’s, Meniere’s) cardiac arrhythmias (PVCs, atrial fibrillation), menopause related hot flashes. We hypothesize that other many conditions would be delayed, prevented or improved, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, brain injury due to thrombotic stroke atherosclerosis, NIDDM, congestive heart failure.

Source: The effect on health of alternate day calorie restriction: eating less and more than needed on alternate days prolongs life. Johnson JB, Laub DR, John S. Med Hypotheses. 2006;67(2):209-11.

Edited to add: Oops, meant to post this in the JUDDD forum. A Moderator can move this to the JUDDD forum, please? Thank you.

I too was one who didn't think I could do this coming from LC, my first DD I was STARVING! After almost 2 weeks Im actually good still keeping it around 700 for up days but since Im losing I figured Id keep it there and slowly lower it..I thought I would change tomorrow to an UD and today a MD but decided not to use that until I really needed it.. LOVE loveeeeeeeee love JUDDD!
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I did only 2 days. I was starving on the first day and binging on the next. Does that even out?

I can sure see how choosing lean protein/veg over bread on a dd would really help. I remember on the dd having a white roll with turkey on it and I was highly, highly miserable by 4pm.

I remember you on the JUDDD forum, Moonmirror! Maybe think about giving JUDDD another try? Ease back into it with a higher DD until you get where you are comfortable with a lower one? Ease back into UDs by keeping fairly LC so to reign in any excessive appetite (but still allow yourself something on each UD that you denied yourself on LC)?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:

I made the mistake, ONE TIME of having a dry fried egg on dry toast for breakfast on a down day. That day led me strait to the gates of hell. Lesson learned. Never again.

--
About the original posting here, though, thanks Sophie! It's sort of hard to say, but I also feel "improved" on JUDDD. It's taken a while to get here, and I can't put my finger on anything specific (i.e. I have/had no allergies, blood pressure issues, etc.). And some of the issues I had early on with feeling overly hungry, slightly faint, even panicky have all gone. I couldn't convince my mom, when she was here, that I felt fine on under 600 calories, that my body had simply adjusted. I really believe in the benefits of intermittent fasting. It just makes sense evolutionarily speaking, and that is my perspective, always.

Last edited by Speck333; 01-20-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I actually ran across that site last week while reading about IF and he has alot of great info.

I particularly like this article where he talks about how our bodies will burn the most fat in the morning and to take advantage of that time and that the whole "must have breakfast" mentality is not beneficial to weight loss.

2 Meal Solution | The IF Life with 2 Meal Mike

Last edited by kris4chloe; 01-20-2012 at 10:26 PM..
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

ok more from the same author. this is an excerpt of his ebook

http://www.theiflife.com/2_Meal_Preview.pdf

this is so interesting because my new trainer is really trying to push the mini meal idea on me.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

love this, a quote from his ebook

How about you just focus on the bigger picture and know that higher calorie days
can be offset with lower calorie days? How about instead you see that by selecting
some days to be lower in calories you can have more flexibility on the other days
and how you eat? How about we get back some of the freedom that all those diets
have taken away and find a solution for a lifetime?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
LOVE that quote!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I love that quote, too. It's not so much about micro-managing each day, each hour, but the big picture over a week, over months, etc.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Still reading around, interested in all your successes. Think I"ll hang out as a lowcarber for a bit more but I'll be reading your stories.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Still reading around, interested in all your successes. Think I"ll hang out as a lowcarber for a bit more but I'll be reading your stories.
OK, sounds good. We're glad to have you around!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
Start Date: June 2013
Thanks for posting that Sophie, it has helped me today on my DD. Im in my second week now and today is my best day so far eating 2 small meals with protein which is the key on DD alright. Yesterday and today I felt different totally less bothered about what to eat or that panic feeling of eat it now because you cant eat it tomorrow!!
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
The Advantages of Using Intermittent Fasting / Feeding (IF) | The IF Life with 2 Meal Mike

I don't know if there are items sold on the site, so the link may or may not work. But it's theiflife (the IF - intermittent fasting life) website. I haven't spent anymore time on that site other than to look at that one article, so I don't know what else is on there, but I had it saved to do more looking.

The article is dated May 3, 2011 and it's titled The Advantages of Using Intermittent Fasting / Feeding (IF)
I have some issues w/ JUDDD, but IF I know I can do. Thanks for posting the link!
LadyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
IF is nothing new to me.

I was "IF'ing" before it even had a name(skipping breakfast)

Here is another link. I should have got really ripped and coined it first!
Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Here's some writing from Dr. Jack Kruse (of Leptin Rx) on SIRT genes:

Sirtuins have been described as guardians of the cell. They hit the scene in the early 2000’s with the discovery of resveratrol and its effect on lifespan. In people, for example, they seem to halt the normal cellular cycle that ends with old cells committing suicide, and instead help rejuvenate them by beefing up their DNA repair processes and stimulating production of protective antioxidants. It appears that if a cell is at a point of deciding whether to live or to die, these sirtuins push toward the survival mode and allow the cell the option to survive longer to rejuvenate itself.

Sirtuin, or Sir2 proteins, are a class of proteins that possess either histone deacetylase or mono-ribosyltransferase activity and are found in organisms ranging from bacteria to humans. Sirtuins work in calorie restricted states to improve cellular stress response and regulate transcription. Their main effect however is on energy generation by improving the NAD/NADH ratio to decrease mitochondrial “leakiness” at the first cytochrome. This generates less ROS than we would normally see. Resveratrol works with quercetin and is generally found in certain wines, grapes, and cacao chocolates. Quercetin is found in grapes and apples.

Sirtuins bring about the effects of calorie restriction in the brain’s IGF axis, known as the somatotropic signaling axis, which controls growth and influences lifespan and lengthens telomeres.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
IF is nothing new to me.

I was "IF'ing" before it even had a name(skipping breakfast)

Here is another link. I should have got really ripped and coined it first!
Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
Betty I was on that guys site before, i don't know but something about his attitude in his writing are off putting to me? I think some of those befores looked better. I am all for muscles and ripped but I think there becomes a point that it is to much. I guess I like my men to still have a little bit of smoosh.