Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Facing that feeling

I always seem to have this sad feeling when I diet and I hate it. Im so used to eating to push it away. But on JUDDD I only feel it on DD and it makes it so hard because any extra stress and I feel a compulsive urge to eat. Today was my best day so far, I fasted until 3pm then had some crackers and cheese and then when I was home I ate a sandwich and a cup of tea. But in another way I feel great because I have control over my compulsive eating....mostly. Today I changed my hair and its made me feel more confident, I also bought a dress with the hope it wont be so tight in a month! I just wish I could get rid of that sad/scared feeling....
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I find that if I feel a bit down or worried, I look at all of the things that I will wear when I get this extra poundage off. It seems to cheer me up just seeing the end result in my mind. Wishing you much luck!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I think there are a lot of psychological issues with food & feeling deprived/punished when we restrict it...perhaps this is part of your sadness, and I can totally relate...

But OTOH, I wonder if part of this sadness could be physical? Sometimes we might feel sad because we aren't getting enough of a certain nutrient and it may be a little more likely on DDs that something is out of balance, since food & calories are limited.

I don't mean to imply that you don't know how to feed yourself! But have you ever experimented with more protein/less protein, more carbs/less carbs, Omega 3s, raw veggies or green drinks, Vitamin D, B-Vitamins, things like that, and found anything that made you feel more energized & happy?

Actually I am glad that you brought this up because I once had a weight-loss hypnosis CD that included something about reminding yourself that restricting food (or even just junk food) is NOT a punishment but a way of treating yourself better...and I often get caught up in how uncomfortable it is to feel hunger or to not be able to eat something I'd like that I forget this! It's a good way to look at it...if I tell it to myself often enough, perhaps I'll believe it!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I the hair and think you look AMAZING!!

And I want YOU to give YOU a break and not be so hard on YOU! And aren't you new to JUDDD? If so, you are "testing the waters" and how you react to this new WOE. Give it a chance, give yourself some time, and just enjoy the ride!!

To me, you don't seem to have to talk yourself into or out of anything, you seem to have the right attitude and outlook. Don't change a thing and just keep keeping on for a bit more!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-19-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majella View Post
I always seem to have this sad feeling when I diet and I hate it. Im so used to eating to push it away. But on JUDDD I only feel it on DD and it makes it so hard because any extra stress and I feel a compulsive urge to eat. Today was my best day so far, I fasted until 3pm then had some crackers and cheese and then when I was home I ate a sandwich and a cup of tea. But in another way I feel great because I have control over my compulsive eating....mostly. Today I changed my hair and its made me feel more confident, I also bought a dress with the hope it wont be so tight in a month! I just wish I could get rid of that sad/scared feeling....
I love your hair, Majella! Great pic!

I hope you figure out the cause of the sadness. It sounds like you are doing well overall - you're eating nice foods, treating yourself well, trying new styles, and looking to the future with hope. KUTGW!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
WWC
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
Majella, I tend to medicate my feelings with food too. I have been LCing this time for 2.5y so I felt fairly in control of it. However, over Thanksgiving I allowed myself to stress eat (family.) Then, I did get back on quickly, but over Christmas I didn't just treat myself, I binged. Once I started I had a hard time stopping and I felt all those out of control feelings coming back at the same time as feeling "comforted." Each night, I would lie awake feeling physically puny and emotionally even worse.
Anyway, my goals now are to continue to finish my weight loss and then work to maintain with UDs eventually having more leeway for "treats" without ending in a binge. My plan (besides my food plan) is to journal and write out the feelings that I don't usually face. I think when I am on plan, I hide those feelings behind the feeling of being in control. I need to be able to face the feelings, own them and not let them define me.
So that's my ramble. Perhaps journalling will help you as well?
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

WWC thats exactly it..especially family, Im unable to control my eating then.
PirateJenny I didnt think of that, as it turns out my thyroid has gone overactive and Im trying to adjust my medication at the moment. Ive had low vitb12 before and need to check that. Last week I started taking that borocca vit/minerial drink and I do actually feel better. Im not good with my 5 a day actually quiet terrible, if it wasnt for my husband telling me I just wouldnt eat fruit or veg...

Beeb, yes I am strangely hard on myself but aware of it. I did JUDDD before Christmas but then Christmas happened and I abandoned any diet! So this is still my first real week. Im thinking of joining a meditation group but something inside me doesnt feel right about it and I dont known why. Maybe its the idea of being in a group and trying to relax at the same time! Im so glad I can come here and talk it really makes me feel better
Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
I get sad too... Sorry, but I don't know what to do about it.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Psychologically speaking, there is a way up and out of those feelings. I could write pages about this, but will tell you very briefly that my emotional eating has been the key to an amazing journey which landed me in therapy and then some serious healing began. For me, food was the first "drug" I used to try and soothe and protect myself as a child, and to "stuff" all the feelings I was afraid to feel. Feel free to PM me and I'll happily go into more detail. I highly recommend reading "Normal Eating" by Sheryl Canter (and checking out her website).
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I'd love to know the way up and out of these feelings. I don't want to just put them away but I don't want them there all day either! I'll take a look at that book too, thanks. Today I weighed 160.8 lbs so I have lost 1.2lbs in just over a week
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I get that sad feeling too on Dd's. Woke up thinking about it, then read your post. They go by the evening, when I get almost a "high" would rather just feel steady all day though! This has only started in the last month or so.
It is puzzling!

Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad it's not just me! But yes it's worse in the mornings and sometimes after a stressful day it hits me in bed too. But it's only every second day, it could be worse I guess
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I got that sad feeling on my DDs for the first month. I think that's common with anyone who once used food to self-medicate? Which is probably anyone who has had a serious weight problem. (I also felt sad when I started Weight Watchers way back at the very start of my weight loss journey -- I couldn't really describe it as depression, just a aching deep sense of sadness that my days of comforting myself with food were gone.)

The good news is that as the weeks went by each DD got a little easier. I've been okay for the last few. The real key for me seems to be keeping busy, not sitting around thinking about what I wish I could eat or what I plan to eat the next day.

I hope it gets better for you soon, too.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I too feel sad on most DD. Hope you find an answer and are able to share it with us!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote