Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Can't figure out the calories per serving in this recipe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/754191-cant-figure-out-calories-per-serving-recipe.html)

laceylady 01-18-2012 11:05 AM

Can't figure out the calories per serving in this recipe

Can anyone help me? I've tried to figure out how many calories will be in my chili -- I've tried getting into the sites suggested in this thread and I guess I'm just not capable of using any of them! The information I have is this:

Ground turkey - 600 calories (5 servings)
Chili mix - 1440 calories (16 servings)
Tomato Paste - 350 calories (10 servings)
Onion - 42 calories (1 whole onion -- no idea how many servings)

Would that be approximately 80 calories per serving (figuring 1 cup serving, as is the serving size for the chili mix)?? This stuff makes me :stars:

(Seemed like a good day for chili -- we've got a foot of snow and work was cancelled!)

Dottie 01-19-2012 04:41 AM

It's kind of hard to tell without the actual amounts - like: how many ounces/pounds of turkey? How much tomato paste?
To get 80 calories per serving, you'd have to be getting like 30 servings from that recipe, as it's listing the calories.
If your chili mix has that many calories, it has to be loaded with sugar?

belfrybat 01-19-2012 05:21 AM

My calcs come up as follows:

1 serv turkey 125
1 serv chili mix 90
1 serv tomato paste 35
onion (6 serv) 7
Total: 257

To make recipe, adjust amounts of individual food to get the same ratios. So... either increase everything to equal the servings in the chili mix (which has the largest servings) or decrease the amount of the chili mix to equal the amounts of turkey and adjust the other items. I would do the latter but I like my chili to be meaty.

What I'd do:
turkey 6 serv = 600 cal
chili mix 1/3rd (appx 6 serv) = 480
tomato paste - 2/3rd (appx 6 serv) 210
whole onion 42
The whole recipe would then be 1332
Divide by 6= 222 per serving (the difference from the above has to do with my wonky rounding -- I'd just count it as 250 and be done with it)

OR, if you make the recipe as is:

2432 calories divided by the number of cups you end up with to get the calories per cup. Since I have no idea the volume of the chili mix or the amount of water you will be adding, you will have to measure after you finish it. If it is 16 cups, then it would come out to 152 cal, but you'd have very little meat per serving.

Lori-s 01-19-2012 05:23 AM

Lacy, a quick way to do it and more of a guestimate than an exact calorie count would be .... AND assuming that what you have listed is everything that you are putting into your chili is:

add all the calories = 2432
take the entire pot of chili and measure how many cups are produced = ?

divide 2432 by the number of cups in the entire batch of chili and you have the approximate # of calories per cup of chili. Notice that I said approximate. Without weighing and measuring each and every component you can't have the actual calories ... but the estimate might be close enough for you. This is how I would do it and sometimes when in a pinch I do this and then just to be safe I add a bit more cals to the figure as a buffer.

Enjoy your chili and a cold day!

PS: beat me to it! My numbers might be off as I just used the computer calc and am in a hurry!

laceylady 02-01-2012 12:43 PM

Thanks, all of you! I eventually used 200 calories per cup -- I used the "Bear Creek Darn Good Chili" and added stuff not in the actual instructions on the bag, so...

It was an UD. Why stress???!!! :)

Thanks again!

b_lou_who 02-02-2012 06:08 PM

*********. Online not app will let you add a recipe with all ingredients, and it will divide by number of servings you select. I find it incredibly helpful

laceylady 02-03-2012 07:10 AM

Thanks! I'll check it out -- I need all the help I can get! :)

b_lou_who 02-06-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laceylady (Post 15385695)
Thanks! I'll check it out -- I need all the help I can get! :)

Don't we all sister! :shake:

I love the cookbook option there, it has tons of my recipes loaded.