Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh, I can make it more complicated if you would like. I could mention that the famous appetite suppression is ketosis. Yes, LCers, the DD/UD rotation causes ketosis while you eat carbs.

I could chatter about all the health benefits you will probably notice over time.

But, the important point is, as Sophie says, DD - low, UD - higher, weight goes bye-bye.
Probably because you aren't eating many carbs, if any, on the DDs so it averages out just like the calories do.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Oh, I can make it more complicated if you would like. I could mention that the famous appetite suppression is ketosis. Yes, LCers, the DD/UD rotation causes ketosis while you eat carbs.
Interesting!

I wish I could remember where I read that the alt. day fasting does the same good things in the body as a LC diet without eating a LC diet.

I still choose to eat a lowER carb diet, but we're talking nowhere near the low carb I was eating before. I just prefer whole foods where I can, less processed stuff, less sweets, etc.

Anyway, interesting stuff!

Quote:
I could chatter about all the health benefits you will probably notice over time.
Please do chatter on about them!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I didn't realize there was a "great induction calorie debate". I just started doing
UDs and DDs. Did I miss something?
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #34

Gallery: TallToriV
Stats: 192/179/145 ~ 5'10"
WOE: JUDD with low-mod carbs
Start Date: 1/17/12
That phrase was actually meant as a joke ^_^ Altho...I guess there might be!
TallToriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallToriV View Post
That phrase was actually meant as a joke ^_^ Altho...I guess there might be!
It turned into an interesting discussion though.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #36
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
Wait, what?

I put in my current weight on the calculator. Is that not correct?
This is how I started and finished. I never put any other weight into the calcuator but the weight I was when I started on August 1, 2010. I have never adjusted that weight, even after I started to lose, either.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #37

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:

But, the important point is, as Sophie says, DD - low, UD - higher, weight goes bye-bye.
Would you be able to give a link to this statement? For many/most of us, we are not doing a ketogenic diet at all.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Would you be able to give a link to this statement? For many/most of us, we are not doing a ketogenic diet at all.
Yes! I have read this also and I would love to be able to remember where?!?!

I can't find my book, so I am ordering another. However, I think I read this somewhere in the many IF blogs. I have another question for all of you JUDDD experts, which I was going to make my own thread for but it is directly related to calculating calories so I will throw it in here...

Has anyone who has been on CR longterm ever succeeded at this JUDDD, by keeping their UD cals below 1500??? In other words, I have 40 lbs to lose, but have lost and regained the same 25 lbs in the last couple of years. I just began JUDDD this week and notice that about 1300 to 1500 cals is about the most I can tolerate on UD. Is that going to matter as long as I keep my DD at 400-600? Thank you in advance!!!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
So, it's more important to stick strictly to the DDs, than how many calories you eat on the UDs? (hoping this is true...)
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yes! I have read this also and I would love to be able to remember where?!?!

I can't find my book, so I am ordering another. However, I think I read this somewhere in the many IF blogs. I have another question for all of you JUDDD experts, which I was going to make my own thread for but it is directly related to calculating calories so I will throw it in here...

Has anyone who has been on CR longterm ever succeeded at this JUDDD, by keeping their UD cals below 1500??? In other words, I have 40 lbs to lose, but have lost and regained the same 25 lbs in the last couple of years. I just began JUDDD this week and notice that about 1300 to 1500 cals is about the most I can tolerate on UD. Is that going to matter as long as I keep my DD at 400-600? Thank you in advance!!!
It is suggested, and by many of us who have had great success with JUDDD, and has been proven by that success, that eating UP to or CLOSE to your UD calories works much better than eating less calories, even if you keep your DD calories at a lower level. It's the gap in calories that seems to work best and a larger gap is better, it seems. JUDDD is a case where less is NOT better and more can be a good thing! Eat more fats to up those calories if you are finding eating too much food is not for you. Good oils, butter, and other calorie dense condiments will do the trick in getting those calories up to where they help JUDDD to work it's best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
So, it's more important to stick strictly to the DDs, than how many calories you eat on the UDs? (hoping this is true...)
And yes, this ^^^ is correct, but those UD calories need to be at least up to or close to the limit. Some of us eat FDs (free days) where we don't count calories at all on our UDs and Dr. J suggests this in his book, also for UDs IF you can eat to hunger and know when you are full. JUDDD has helps lots of us to recognize when we are full and when we are hungry or not and that is why we do the FDs. Keeping to the DD calories is HIGHLY recommended for optimum JUDDD "magic"!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-19-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Sunday-

I have been doing JUDDD for just over 3 years, and I lost 100 lbs in two years with 400 cal. DDs and 1400 cal. UDs. I actually checked with Dr. J (via e-mail) about the UD calorie level when I began because the reason I did JUDDD was that age and medical issues force me to severely restrict calories. Dr. J told me that the DD number was critical, and the UD number was totally arbitrary, and that I could do whatever level I was comfortable with.

Personally, after a 400 cal. DD, 1400 cal seemed like a feast. I eat low carb consistently because I'm extremely carb sensitive, but I eat only moderate fat, so these calorie levels were very do-able for me. I lost steadily with this.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Yes, LCers, the DD/UD rotation causes ketosis while you eat carbs.
Is it ketosis, or just appetite suppression?
I hope it isn't ketosis because that wouldn't be good for my baby.
I don't have any other symptoms of ketosis besides appetite suppression.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Is it ketosis, or just appetite suppression?
I hope it isn't ketosis because that wouldn't be good for my baby.
I don't have any other symptoms of ketosis besides appetite suppression.
It is not ketosis. Don't worry. The UD/DD rotation does not bring on ketosis or plunge you into ketosis, so don't worry.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #44

And I should add that if you are doing very low carb on all of your days, you can certainly be in and remain in ketosis, but the majority of people on JUDDD eat at a carb level that takes them completely out of ketosis and doesn't ever put them into ketosis again.

Ketosis isn't required for folks to lose weight amazingly fast and efficiently, so once folks add the carbs of their choosing back into their diets on JUDDD, they will probably never face ketosis again!

JUDDD doesn't cause ketosis or have anything to do with ketosis. And any appetite suppression you benefit from on JUDDD isn't from ketosis at all. Completely different.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It is not ketosis. Don't worry. The UD/DD rotation does not bring on ketosis or plunge you into ketosis, so don't worry.
Although if they are eating LC on JUDDD, that could cause ketosis if the carbs were low enough, like 60 grams or less, from what I have read, but I'm sure like everything it depends on the individual.

Edited - I see you just posted about that too.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Beeb & Leo,

Thank you so much for responding! I have enjoyed following both of you, but have not had time to post due to my hectic life! You are both inspiring and have been great leaders for this JUDDD group.

I have the DD's perfected, because I really have never had much of a problem restricting. I should have added that I am 53 with pretty slow metabolism. I stay pretty low carb under 50 ish, but will not worry so much after the induction period. I mainly worry about getting the recommended UD calories. I am on UD today and only have about 650 in for bk & lunch. So you can see where my issue is, I need to eat about 1200 for dinner.

I really don't drink calories unless I have a glass of wine occasionally, so I am going to need to figure out a way to add lots of carb free cals. Thanks again!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #47

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
lots of carb free cals
1/3 lb. hamburger is nearly 500 cals- cheese, mayo, lettuce, pickle
only add minimal carbs- but cheese & mayo are rather calorie-dense

Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
Quote:

Nancy....thank you. I am enjoying and soaking up all your knowledge.

Do you know where you saw the ketosis even while eating carbs? Sounds really interesting. I have to say that I can really go a long while without eating and almost feel better at times fasting than eating on DD. I also feel very energetic on DD and exercise all the time.
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
And yes, this ^^^ is correct, but those UD calories need to be at least up to or close to the limit. Some of us eat FDs (free days) where we don't count calories at all on our UDs and Dr. J suggests this in his book, also for UDs IF you can eat to hunger and know when you are full. JUDDD has helps lots of us to recognize when we are full and when we are hungry or not and that is why we do the FDs. Keeping to the DD calories is HIGHLY recommended for optimum JUDDD "magic"!
Beeb Oh, I have NO problem eating my UD cals; in fact, I've gone over twice and am concerned about that. MY UD is 1710, and one day I did over 1800, and yesterday I think I had about 2200 So, how much of an effect will that have? I have stuck closely to my DD cals, which are 342, going to 450 maybe twice, but the rest of the time around 350-NOT EASY, I assure you.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Beeb Oh, I have NO problem eating my UD cals; in fact, I've gone over twice and am concerned about that. MY UD is 1710, and one day I did over 1800, and yesterday I think I had about 2200 So, how much of an effect will that have? I have stuck closely to my DD cals, which are 342, going to 450 maybe twice, but the rest of the time around 350-NOT EASY, I assure you.
I wonder if 1800-1900 are better UD calories for you? I just say that because I am an inch shorter than you and my calories in WLM were 1700-1800 and I lost well on those. My DD were not nearly as low as yours either.

How is your weight loss going so far?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I'm writing. I'm writing what I meant when I said JUDDD invokes ketosis. As soon as it is readable and makes sense, I will post it.

In the meantime, if any of you former LCers still have ketostix (I never used them), run a test.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Sophie see my post "4DDs and 3UDs-my official weigh in" ---or something like that....lost about a pound since the day before I started-didn't weigh the day I started. I'm ok on UDs, but DDs are killing me-345.
Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #53

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
I'm writing. I'm writing what I meant when I said JUDDD invokes ketosis. As soon as it is readable and makes sense, I will post it.

In the meantime, if any of you former LCers still have ketostix (I never used them), run a test.
I have Ketostix and just tested. Today's an UD and I've had a small oatmeal and coffee and I am most decidedly NOT in ketosis. Not even a smidge, and I'm in full weight-loss mode (lost a pound between weigh-in yesterday and weigh-in today).

I will test mid-day tomorrow, a DD, between my two exercise regimens, and let you all know.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have Ketostix and just tested. Today's an UD and I've had a small oatmeal and coffee and I am most decidedly NOT in ketosis. Not even a smidge, and I'm in full weight-loss mode (lost a pound between weigh-in yesterday and weigh-in today).

I will test mid-day tomorrow, a DD, between my two exercise regimens, and let you all know.

You're doing a fabulous job with your weight loss. Congrats!

I was decidedly not going to be doing JUDDD at the very low carb level required to be in ketosis either, so my weight loss was at a considerably higher carb level too.

And now I'm hungry for a little bowl of oatmeal too. Off to the kitchen I go!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:

Wow...THAT is really interesting! After judding for a month, I found some unused ketostix from my l/c day...and tryed one, just out of interest.
I was amazed to see it turn medium pink...despite the fact that A) I was eating carbs, and, b) I was very hydrated!

now i now why! I would love to know the how...if you have time to share!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #56

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I just tested with the Ketostix again and got a faint pink color. Very, very interesting.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #57

LOL
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Hey everyone! Sorry I vanished. Last Friday a crisis wmd'd my pleasant plans for a happy visit with out-of-state family. Please join me in saying a sad good bye to my much-loved, elderly kitty who, after several days in ICU, had to leave.

Now, on to my ketosis statement that raised so many questions.

On page 58 in the book, Dr J says his test subjects experienced elevated levels of ketone elimination on DDs. He found this elevation to be is consistent that he used it as a way of knowing which test subjects were restricting calories. On page 250 in the FAQ section, Dr J sates calorie restriction at 25% or less of UD calories show increased ketone elimination on DDs. He says most people eating at a 30% or higher level do not show increased ketone elimination. I believe there is one other sentence in the book where, as an aside, he says JUDDD is a ketogenic woe.

Statements that raise more questions than they answer.

I think part of the question resides in the definition of 'ketosis'. There are two of them. In 1972, Dr A coined the term 'benign dietary ketosis' as being (and my book is in storage so I am paraphrasing) elevated ketone elimination levels resulting from metabolizing fat as the body's primary energy source when eating low-carb. Dr A gave a name (definition) to this state, by rights that definition should stand. But, since 1972, a second meaning has crept in. Some sources define ketosis as elevated ketone elimination levels resulting from metabolizing fat as the body's primary energy source when doing several woe's including low-carb and calorie restriction. (Go run some searches, the results take some reading but are fascinating).

When I say JUDDD is a ketogenic woe, I am using the second definition.

Think about it. We take great satisfaction knowing that on JUDDD we lose mostly fat and very little muscle. The stress response we invoke on DD is an early step in a chain of internal events that leads eventually to starvation mode and reduced metabolism (and feeling miserable and weight loss stalls and eating everything in pantry). UDs keep us from going that far. We dip our toes in the metaphorical water and lose fat and, when goal is reached, we slightly redesign our woe to make maintenance a breeze.

Let's dig a little deeper. We don't like it, but out bodies love their fat. They store it. They cherish and pamper it. They want to keep it. When they release it, that fat does not just ooze out of cells into the blood stream and then get eliminated. I have not been able to find any healthy way for fat to leave a body except by being burned as fuel (with the waste products - ketones - being eliminated). We don't 'lose' fat, we burn it. (Really. Floaters are okay. But, if you see an oil-slick after a visit to the throne, call your doctor, something is out of whack with your metabolism.)

What does this mean?

I think it means fat burning is a completely normal component of the much larger, much more complicated, much more effective stress, or famine, or SiRT, response. I think our beloved stress response says something like, "Uh-oh, calories are way low. This body needs to go kill a wooly mammoth or spend the day gathering grains or doing whatever it takes to keep this body alive. And, with caloric intake low, the body will get tired fast. Time to invoke fat burning to make sure there is enough energy to do all that work!" And, into the second definition of ketosis we go.

I think Dr. J stumbled across something even bigger and more important to our weight and health than he realized.

What does this mean to JUDDD BUDDDs?
Actually, not a danged thing. Today is the same as yesterday: To lose weight you find your DD/UD levels, you follow the rotation, you lose the weight. Today is exactly the same as yesterday.

What does this mean to LCers?
Well, we know ketosis gives most LCers appetite suppression. We know asthmatic LCers sometimes/frequently see their breathing improve. LCers with allergies see similar improvement. Many people can and do lose weight and regain health eating LC.

I think LC is an alternate route to ketosis and to some of the health benefits caloric restriction brings. For most LCers, today is exactly the same as yesterday.....with two exceptions. JUDDD BUDDDs rarely stall. We can usually handle weight loss slow-downs with a bit of caloric juggling. LCers do stall. That is one of the reasons this forum is full of former LCers. JUDDD BUDDDs find, immediately or over time depending on each unique metabolism, we really can eat whatever we want with no overwhelming cravings and no blood glucose instability. LCers have to eat LC.

Oh yeah, that old JUDDD magic is powerful stuff.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #59

Nancy,

That is all very interesting and I thank you for doing the research and letting us know. I had absolutely no idea JUDDD was ketogenic in any shape or form. Wow. You're right, it doesn't change anything, but it sure is fun to learn new things.

I'm so sorry about your loss.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #60

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Nancy

I am so very sorry that you have lost your precious cat.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote