Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Rapid weight loss = hives?

This is probably going to sound weird, and I'm just sort of bouncing ideas around in my head and trying to get them out, and thought I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

In the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've had 2 allergic reactions which resulted in hives on my hands, swelling fingers, itchy trunk, etc. The first time I had taken some Kava root for anxiety and thought it was that, but it happened again last night and I had nothing unusual. I have no known food allergies and have not changed my soaps, shampoos, lotions, laundry detergent, or anything else I can think of.

I have also had consistently itchy skin since starting JUDDD, but I attributed it to either dry winter air, or my skin trying to shrink along with my fat cells (most of the itchy places are where I have stretchmarks--sorry TMI--and they itched when I got them, with rapid weight gain).

I am allergic to several medications: Penicillin--I was diagnosed very young and only remember having a bad rash; Allopurinol (nearly killed me--almost went into organ failure); and Welbutrin--same exact kind of hives I've had the last two times.

Here's my hypothesis: I'm losing weight quite rapidly, and my understanding is that toxins can be stored in our fat cells. Is it possible that my fat cells are releasing stored Welbutrin or whatever I'm reacting to, into my bloodstream, causing a histamine response?

I'm trying to run searches and have found other posts on other boards with similar thoughts, but can't find anything concrete to support or refute my hypothesis. It doesn't help that Wikipedia is down today.

Anyway, have any of you experienced or heard of someone else experiencing anything similar? I'm certainly not planning on slowing my weight loss. I'll just deal with the hives. I'd rather be skinny and covered in red, itchy splotches than fat any day.
__________________
Dawn

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Sedona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 85
Gallery: Sedona
Stats: 228/189/155 (5'7")
WOE: Mod Carb / JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/2011
I have not had hives but I swear whenever I lose weight, I itch.
Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
mykidsteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,170
Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
As I was reading, my thoughts turned to toxins being released and you are reacting to them.

If it were me, I'd likely find a good liver support supplement and take it to help your liver detox the extra load, and drink a lot of water. Then take benedryl as needed for the itching. I'd also let someone know what was going on, in case a bad reaction happened they would know to get help immediately.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
As I was reading, my thoughts turned to toxins being released and you are reacting to them.

If it were me, I'd likely find a good liver support supplement and take it to help your liver detox the extra load, and drink a lot of water. Then take benedryl as needed for the itching. I'd also let someone know what was going on, in case a bad reaction happened they would know to get help immediately.
I have let my boss know already and my husband and I both used to be EMTs so I'm monitoring closely for any signs of anaphylaxis. I drink tons of water and always have benadryl with me. All good suggestions. I hadn't thought about a liver support supplement (probably couldn't hurt with my love of wine ) Do you have any suggestions?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
mayleesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,343
Gallery: mayleesa
Stats: (5'5") 209/176.4/140lb
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 12/26/2013
i've often thought that when we lose weight that the fat cells stored are releasing whatever mess into the body...i have no scientific evidence of that....also i too itch in my stretchy mark areas...i'm hoping the itch is due to shrivling up and dying....NOOOO help me, they scream...hahahaha....i use tons of cocoa butter and really thick heavy creams in the winter because i get sooo incredibly dry....good luck to the itchies...cuz you gonna be skinny!
mayleesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin ... spicy foods which may cause an increase in body temperature or even stress due ... activities, sudden increase or decrease in weight loss due to loss of appetite, ... it can sometimes be halted by rapid cooling, such as applying cold water or ...


Found the above little blurb.... It speaks to sudden loss of weight causing this, but indicates from lack of appetite. But that would certainly fit, as our DDs of few calories would fit the *loss of appetite* part.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Cholinergic urticaria is a subcategory of physical urticaria (aka hives) that is a skin ... spicy foods which may cause an increase in body temperature or even stress due ... activities, sudden increase or decrease in weight loss due to loss of appetite, ... it can sometimes be halted by rapid cooling, such as applying cold water or ...


Found the above little blurb.... It speaks to sudden loss of weight causing this, but indicates from lack of appetite. But that would certainly fit, as our DDs of few calories would fit the *loss of appetite* part.
I found several references like that, but figured it was an autoimmune response which caused both the decrease in appetite and the urticaria. Perhaps one is a direct result of the other. But if that's the case, wouldn't we all be getting hives as we lose weight? Hmmm, I guess I'll think about it as I go apply more hydrocortisone.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
mykidsteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,170
Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sorry, I don't have a specific recommendation for a liver support. Maybe ask at Whole Foods or your local health food store?
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I found several references like that, but figured it was an autoimmune response which caused both the decrease in appetite and the urticaria. Perhaps one is a direct result of the other. But if that's the case, wouldn't we all be getting hives as we lose weight? Hmmm, I guess I'll think about it as I go apply more hydrocortisone.
No, 'cause we don't all have the same sensitive or allergic reactions to *stuff*... even simple stuff or weird stuff. So some get a bad reaction to a tiny, tiny little bee sting, or to swallowing foods that have much egg in it, or nuts. Some have your allergic response, but to hot water, so never take a shower in anything but gently warm water, else they break out in hives. Some folks have an allergic response to cold weather.

And there's this response to rapid weight gain or loss. And the loss is the thing that is worrying your body right now. I expect two things will happen to make this ease off in a bit. First, sometimes the response grows weak again and goes away, and secondly.. usually our rate of weight loss settles down as we get into JUDDD (or any weight loss plan) and we go merrily along with losing a couple of pounds each week, or for some of us, we average just a single pound per week as the averages are laid out.

Good luck, and hope the rash goes away shortly! You might have to try an antihistamine tablet.
__________________
Best wishes, Pat

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-18-2012 at 01:50 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
No, 'cause we don't all have the same sensitive or allergic reactions to *stuff*... even simple stuff or weird stuff. So some get a bad reaction to a tiny, tiny little bee sting, or to swallowing foods that have much egg in it, or nuts. Some have your allergic response, but to hot water, so never take a shower in anything but gently warm water, else they break out in hives. Some folks have an allergic response to cold weather.

And there's this response to rapid weight gain or loss. And the loss is the thing that is worrying your body right now. I expect two things will happen to make this ease off in a bit. First, sometimes the response grows weak again and goes away, and secondly.. usually our rate of weight loss settles down as we get into JUDDD (or any weight loss plan) and we go merrily along with losing a couple of pounds each week, or for some of us, we average just a single pound per week as the averages are laid out.

Good luck, and hope the rash goes away shortly! You might have to try an antihistamine tablet.
Thanks Pat. I do have Benadryl with me if needed. How funny. I'm going to be all nice and thin with hives. Kind of like when I went on a BC years ago which made me gain weight and caused hair loss. Yeah, I wasn't going to get pregnant, but was that really an issue if I was fat and bald?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks Pat. I do have Benadryl with me if needed. How funny. I'm going to be all nice and thin with hives. Kind of like when I went on a BC years ago which made me gain weight and caused hair loss. Yeah, I wasn't going to get pregnant, but was that really an issue if I was fat and bald?
Classic *If it's not one thing, it's another* situation!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I take milk thistle for my liver when I remember it, lol. I've been good about it lately though. One capsule per day, sometimes 3 per day. It's just the brand at Walmart.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,933
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
How interesting that you got hives on JUDDD! I got them too, even though I wasn't losing weight.

Rapid weight loss can indeed lead to releases of toxic chemicals that are stored in your fat cells and liver. Taking milk thistle won't stop that, even though it is helpful for your liver nonetheless. But it's mostly fat-soluble toxic chemicals (think PCBs, DDT, and DDE) that get released during weight loss, and those are unlikely to cause hives.

However, the fasting and calorie swings that are inherent to JUDDD do cause certain kinds of stress. While this stress is great for your bodies in many ways--that's what causes all the medical benefits of fasting--my doctor thought the stress might also trigger hives.

A few weeks ago, I got a horrible case of hives after my lowest DD. I had to stop JUDDD for 3 weeks while the hives went away. I'm maintaining, not trying to lose weight (well, I would like to lose 1 last lb before maintenance). The doctor was pretty sure hives were triggered by the stress of alternate day fasts. She didn't tell me to stop, but she did tell me to give JUDDD a few weeks break. I'm starting up again, but not doing DDs lower than 700 calories because I don't want another case.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
That's really interesting. I got the first two cases after good DDs, but got them again today on an UD, so I'm not sure if that's just a holdover from yesterday or not.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!
 
tiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: UP, Michigan
Posts: 2,933
Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'm glad that you're being careful to monitor for anaphylaxis. Hive are mostly annoying, but as you know, they can be a symptom of a life-threatening allergic reaction to something, so if your throat or face starts swelling, get to a hospital.

Hydrocortisone doesn't help much with hives compared to an oral antihistamine (benadryl is good). Ice packs help a ton, and so can a menthol rub.

Last edited by tiva; 01-18-2012 at 08:08 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,802
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
No hives here, but my face is breaking out! I'm not a teenager lol. But if it's a sign of fat loss, I'll manage to cope!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
clanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,318
Gallery: clanger
Stats: 5' 0" Size 22 / Size 16 / Size 10
WOE: Targeting (70/25/5) ratio
Start Date: Restart: 31st August 2012
Hello all :-)

I'm not doing JUDD (I'm on Atkins), but I stumbled on this thread after searching "rash" and found it really interesting.

Every single time I've started low carbing; after two to three weeks I get an angry rash down the back of my neck (behind my ears), and across my upper back. It's red, hot and angry, but doesn't particuarly itch.

It normally lasts for about six weeks (I think) and then seems to dissipate.

I have absolutely no idea what causes it, but it always arrives - regular as clockwork and always in the same location. I'm almost three weeks into Atkins now, and here it is again! I'm just grateful that it's on the back of my neck, and not on my face!

I've used hydrocortisone cream on it in the past, but to be honest, I don't think that (or antihistamine) really has any effect. It normally seems to disappear of it's own accord after 6 weeks or so. It's a bit of a mystery!
__________________
  • Interim Goal - UK Size 16
  • Health Goal - UK Size 12
  • Vanity Goal - UK Size 10

Last edited by clanger; 01-22-2012 at 08:34 AM..
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
Hello all :-)

I'm not doing JUDD (I'm on Atkins), but I stumbled on this thread after searching "rash" and found it really interesting.

Every single time I've started low carbing; after two to three weeks I get an angry rash down the back of my neck (behind my ears), and across my upper back. It's red, hot and angry, but doesn't particuarly itch.

It normally lasts for about six weeks (I think) and then seems to dissipate.

I have absolutely no idea what causes it, but it always arrives - regular as clockwork and always in the same location. I'm almost three weeks into Atkins now, and here it is again! I'm just grateful that it's on the back of my neck, and not on my face!

I've used hydrocortisone cream on it in the past, but to be honest, I don't think that (or antihistamine) really has any effect. It normally seems to disappear of it's own accord after 6 weeks or so. It's a bit of a mystery!
It sounds like you have a sensitivity level issue with some of the foods you eat more of when you are low carbing. The proteins in eggs, protein powders, dairy proteins, and even meat proteins in larger amounts can give some people reactive hives and rash, and then they either develop a bit more tolerance, and the rash goes away, or if they become even more sensitive, it can develop more into the wheezing, upset gut, swelling symptoms.

Good that it goes away for you. Maybe if you do your low carbing at a little higher carb level, you could substitute more of the lower carb veggies in place of some eggs/meats, and still have your tummy feeling full and comfy, without having so much protein food in it, and see if that helps.

Nice to hear from you over here!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!
 
dasiey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 6,130
Gallery: dasiey
I'm sorry i am no help here.
But I started itching any way
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quick update: I had been hive free for several weeks. As my weightloss tapered off and became more steady, my hives diminished.

I lowered UD calories a couple of days ago and have lost over 2 lbs in the last couple of days. Guess what . . . hives have returned on my left hand and forehead. Additionally, the itching has returned at those locations as well as my abdomen and back.

I definitely see a correlation between the quick, sudden weightloss and my symptoms. I consider it a minor price to pay for better overall health in the long run, so I'm going to keep on plugging away and get rid of all this extra, toxin filled weight!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Quick update: I had been hive free for several weeks. As my weightloss tapered off and became more steady, my hives diminished.

I lowered UD calories a couple of days ago and have lost over 2 lbs in the last couple of days. Guess what . . . hives have returned on my left hand and forehead. Additionally, the itching has returned at those locations as well as my abdomen and back.

I definitely see a correlation between the quick, sudden weightloss and my symptoms. I consider it a minor price to pay for better overall health in the long run, so I'm going to keep on plugging away and get rid of all this extra, toxin filled weight!
I'll bet you've put your finger on the cause of your hives right there. Good sleuthing!

So, if we store toxins, as in DDT and tons of other bad stuff, in our body fat, and we are losing that fat at a rapid rate.. then the toxins are being freed into our bloodstreams, and so if we're inclined to be a bit more sensitive to the stuff than some others are, that could surely cause hives.

I'd be like you though, in being quite content to put up with hives for awhile if the weight loss was going good!

Last edited by SoHappy; 02-23-2012 at 10:27 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I have A LOT of weird allergic reactions to A LOT of weird things. I just had this weird rash pop up around my neck after 1 day of wearing a different necklace. Was it the necklace? I have no idea. But, I haven't worn it again since. I will try it again, but it kinda pisses me off that I can't wear a different necklace.

I do believe that we store toxins in our fat cells. We store estrogen, why not anything else? I take benadryl at night when I'm having days of bad allergies. You might want to start a steady regimen for a few weeks until you get under control.

Also, just because you haven't changed anything, doesn't mean you haven't developed an allergy to something you've used forever. I can no longer use Surf (do they make that stuff anymore?) or Tide laundry detergent, Ivory soap, Dove soap, or a variety of other products that I had used for YEARS before developing a sudden rash.

<-- I gots bad allergies.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
DD7 is very sensitive to a lot of things too. Thankfully she has no food allergies, but we have to use soaps and detergents with no perfumes or dyes. She has a histamine response if she gets a little scratch. It's really weird--it looks like she's getting hives for just about an hour or so and then it goes away. She has a bladder/ureter condition for which she had to take antibiotics for 2 years. Thank goodness she never developed any sensitivities to those!!

It's funny how our bodies react to different stimuli. The human body is just truly amazing and interesting and confusing and beautiful!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
DD7 is very sensitive to a lot of things too. Thankfully she has no food allergies, but we have to use soaps and detergents with no perfumes or dyes. She has a histamine response if she gets a little scratch. It's really weird--it looks like she's getting hives for just about an hour or so and then it goes away. She has a bladder/ureter condition for which she had to take antibiotics for 2 years. Thank goodness she never developed any sensitivities to those!!

It's funny how our bodies react to different stimuli. The human body is just truly amazing and interesting and confusing and beautiful!
Yes! Me too. You should see me when I get mosquito bites. OY!

2 years of anitbiotics! That had to be miserable! I'm glad she got it under control. Does she take probiotics? Or eat good cultured yogurt? I'm making up for years of antibiotics now. The probiotics are magical.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
We make sure she gets a well balanced diet which often includes Yakult or Greek yogurt or the like, but we don't give her any supplements. I'm always afraid of them for fear the FDA's going to come out in a year or two and say such and such causes this or that. Is there any particular one that you use that you feel is safe?

She ended up having surgery when she was two to correct the bladder/ureter issue (vesicoureteral reflux). Her first two years were miserable with constant bladder and kidney infections. She'd be on one antibiotic for a few months, then get a breakthrough infection and we'd have to switch her to a new antibiotic.

Sadly, I get uric acid kidney stones and they can be hereditary. If she ever gets one, it's automatic surgery.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!
 
DD80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Desert Southwest
Posts: 1,292
Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
We make sure she gets a well balanced diet which often includes Yakult or Greek yogurt or the like, but we don't give her any supplements. I'm always afraid of them for fear the FDA's going to come out in a year or two and say such and such causes this or that. Is there any particular one that you use that you feel is safe?

She ended up having surgery when she was two to correct the bladder/ureter issue (vesicoureteral reflux). Her first two years were miserable with constant bladder and kidney infections. She'd be on one antibiotic for a few months, then get a breakthrough infection and we'd have to switch her to a new antibiotic.

Sadly, I get uric acid kidney stones and they can be hereditary. If she ever gets one, it's automatic surgery.
UGH. That sounds really awful. I feel for her (and you) about the kidney stone thing as well. Man, that is not easy or fun. I've heard that things like instant pastas (and other foods that I can't remember now) help kidney stones form. Do you have to worry about that stuff? I can't imagine.

I use probiotics that aren't refridgerated and I've had good luck with them, although some people will tell you that they don't work. I buy mine through swansonsvitamins.com (I swear I don't work for them). If you don't like a supplement, ship it back and they will reimburse you. They have been so good to me, which is why I recommend them. They also have user reviews on their website and constant deals.

I've read that the best kind are the ones that you get at whole foods or sunflower or sprouts market (if you have those around you) that need to be kept in the fridge. I've heard they don't taste bad either. Some actually taste good (from what I hear).

I would also try to get more greek yogurt and kefir in her diet. The unsweetened stuff is best - just add your own flavorings. Smoothies are great and if you add a banana, no need for sweetener. I've just started using kefir and am told you can use for anything you would use milk with. I used in mashed potatoes in place of cream/sour cream and thought it was great. It can also be used in smoothies.

I took a lot of antibiotics when I was a kid and was on tetracycline for my skin for a long time and I think it really messed up my digestive tract. It is so much better now because I try to take care of it.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MintQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Salalah, Oman
Posts: 4,387
Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Yes! Me too. You should see me when I get mosquito bites. OY!
Threadjack - don't talk to be about MOSQUITO BITES - horrid, horrid, horrid creatures! Every time I move to a new country with them - they see me as fresh meat! 63 bites in my first weekend back in Australia - then 25 last weekend.

The itch is unbearable - even after topical and oral antihistamines! Fortunately - this time - I didn't 'swell up' - that is so not a pretty sight - I once had over a hundred bites on my hands - and they swelled up sooooo much they were really tight and very hot! - it took forever to explain to a greek doctor that the reaction was only to mosquitos bites - not something else!

Back to Dawn...

I don't think I've had hives - but I do remember feeling really itchy around my midrif when I first started JUDDDing - maybe I'm not losing fast enough at the moment!! LOL
__________________
Vicky
MintQ8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Threadjack - don't talk to be about MOSQUITO BITES - horrid, horrid, horrid creatures! Every time I move to a new country with them - they see me as fresh meat! 63 bites in my first weekend back in Australia - then 25 last weekend.

The itch is unbearable - even after topical and oral antihistamines! Fortunately - this time - I didn't 'swell up' - that is so not a pretty sight - I once had over a hundred bites on my hands - and they swelled up sooooo much they were really tight and very hot! - it took forever to explain to a greek doctor that the reaction was only to mosquitos bites - not something else!

Back to Dawn...

I don't think I've had hives - but I do remember feeling really itchy around my midrif when I first started JUDDDing - maybe I'm not losing fast enough at the moment!! LOL
Sheesh! That sounds horrible. We get awful mosquitos here, but they usually leave me alone.

I have had several really bad allergic reactions to other things in the past, so I suspect I'm particularly sensitive. DH thinks it's the same things that I've reacted to in the past just resurfacing as I'm losing the fat the residual chemicals are stored in.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,819
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Dawn,
I guess I missed this thread when you first broke out with hives. If you search on the Hcg'ers threads, there are quite a few who have had the exact same experience. My uncle who is 75 did the Hcg protocol and broke out with hives spontaneously as he was dropping lots of weight. It is the phenomenon of fat cells releasing gunk into our bodies. Hope it gets better!!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,021
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Thanks Sunday. That's what I figure it is too. It's annoying but not unbearable.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.