Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
A so ne, so that explains the itching I had when I first started JUDDD. It has since stopped, but this past week I started releasing more weight, and dang, if the itching hasn't started up again; on my tummy, especially.......I'll be!!!!

Talk about mosquito bites!!!! I'm an avid gardener and I don't go outside unless I swallow two garlic capsules beforehand. Yes, they do repel the mosquitoes and probably some folks, but it is a much better option than coming in and having that horrid horrid itch that cannot be satisfied. I have After-Bite, topical Benadryl and other assorted topical mixes, and I've even used mouthwash. I use all of these in conjunction with the garlic capsules, and I am afforded some relief.

When I want to garden, I resent those lil creatures.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I had a reaction to toxic buildup myself from detoxing too quickly. I think my kidneys and liver could not process fast enough.

I did take milk thistle 3x per day to support my liver and NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine ) which helped me a great deal.

You have a lot of great advice already so I won't go further. Good luck!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Okay, fat releasing toxins explains why my allergies are suddenly getting worse. Which is scary because every spring I end up on steroids because of bug-bites gathered while trying to keep the weeds out of the yard (we are surrounded by unmaintained, empty lots).

Gracie, thanks for the advice about garlic pills. I will get some.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Zoneish, Organic, GrassFed, Gluten-Free 5/13
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quercetin and spirulina are also good supplements for those with bad allergies. I've bought them and used them, but stopped for some unknown reason. I can't explain myself sometimes... They work though!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angel38
hives

Can I ask do any of you ladies still sufferfro hives because of weight loss ,

ive lost 4 and a half stone and have been suffering with hives since I started to lose weight ..this is driving me mad any info would be greatly appreciate thanks x
angel38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I had an awful bout with hives on my upper thighs a couple of years ago as I was starting weight loss, and it was coming off pretty quickly. I actually had to go to the allergist, because my PCP didn't want to keep putting me on steroid paks. I asked him if it could be toxins, allergens being released into my bloodstream from fat loss and he said it was possible. No way to know for sure, just that something was irritating me.

The great thing about JUDDD is that after you've been on it awhile, it is supposed to help your immune system and reduce inflammation. And I have certainly experienced those things. I haven't been really sick since going on JUDDD, and my allergies (nose, eyes) are tons better. I've always had itchy skin, which the allergist diagnosed as mild eczema. I am way less itchy overall now than I have been my whole life. Also facial redness and flushing, which I always assumed was probably rosacea, but never had it diagnosed, has completely disappeared.

Hope this is helpful!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FrostyBeav
Stats: 211/200.2/165
WOE: EOD JUDDD
Start Date: 11/12/13
I don't know about hives but I get a couple of weird things when I am actively losing fat. One is my allergies gets bad even if I haven't eaten anything that sets them off. Also, I will occasionally get itchy red welts on my face and scalp (maybe those are hives?). Usually, taking a couple of Benedryl makes them go away.
FrostyBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #38
Blabbermouth!!!

Sounds like hives, Frosty. How interesting that this is so common.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #39
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Yup, Frosty, totally hives. I found that my hives happened anytime I was in a period of rapid weight loss. When it was slower, they disappeared. I wanted to fat gone as fast as possible, so I just put up with them. Now that I'm at goal, I haven't had them in ages! For me, it's totally related.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Since the Benedryl takes care of it, the fat loss must cause some kind of histamine response (maybe it's inflammatory?). Or maybe something in the fat itself?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
It does seem to be common tho' it's not well enough researched for there to be some good, solid, plausible explanations.

It looks like dropping calorie levels is enough of a physiological stress in some people that it plays havoc with histamine levels and promote susceptibility to familiar allergies or various forms of skin inflammation.

There is some speculation about whether, for some people, an abrupt change in the WOE (switching to LC from SAD, or an intermittent fasting routine, or high carb/low fat) brings about changes in the gut microbiome that provoke inflammation/skin reactions.

Dr Georgia Ede of Diagnosis Diet reports her own experiences of being sensitive to histamine-containing foods that caused several reactions for her. Again, if people change their WOE and start incorporating novel foods or familiar foods in unfamiliar quantities (or without the 'buffer' of other foodstuffs) then it's a reasonable speculation that some people might have an adverse reaction such as allergies/hives. Ede gives a good overview of the topic in her post: Histamine Intolerance.
April. 2014 Life, eh! I've recently had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional and normal service may resume at some point
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
My abdomen has been itching the past couple of days. I suspect hot showers and winter weather, as I have normal to dry skin (and very dry in winter), but it would be nice if it meant fat loss!!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #43
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
If you look up itching and weight loss there are a ton of hits. Seems to be quite common. I had never put the two together before.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I should have mentioned that occasionally I do get hives (vivid scarlet) and altho' they're itchy when they erupt, they tend to calm down after a few days and I'm fortunate in typically not having many at a time and I certainly don't have them continuously.

Last edited by SlowSure; 01-30-2014 at 11:22 PM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Urticaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I should have mentioned that occasionally I do get hives (vivid scarlet) and altho' they're itchy when they erupt, they tend to calm down after a few days and I'm fortunate in typically not having many at a time and I certainly don't have them continuously.
Thanks for your information ladies ..I have them constantly I'm currently in the uk and not really doing without carbs or had a fast weight loss , it's took me 2 year to loose 4 and a half stone just losing little and often but from about 10 weeks into the healthy eating the hives / urticaria started and I've had them ever since ..I don't eat a lot of carbs and obviously changed my way of eating to more healthy , I can't maintain for a few weeks and still got the hives any answers on getting rid of them ? ..I've been taking an antihistamine called fexofenadine which works most of the time but I want to try for a baby in the next few months and don't want to have keep taking antihistamins thank you so much , all this information is such a good find I thought I was going bonkers haha x
Old 01-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: 148.5/144/135 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD (start 1/31/14)
Start Date: JUDDD: start 1/31/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
This is probably going to sound weird, and I'm just sort of bouncing ideas around in my head and trying to get them out, and thought I wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

In the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've had 2 allergic reactions which resulted in hives on my hands, swelling fingers, itchy trunk, etc. The first time I had taken some Kava root for anxiety and thought it was that, but it happened again last night and I had nothing unusual. I have no known food allergies and have not changed my soaps, shampoos, lotions, laundry detergent, or anything else I can think of.

I have also had consistently itchy skin since starting JUDDD, but I attributed it to either dry winter air, or my skin trying to shrink along with my fat cells (most of the itchy places are where I have stretchmarks--sorry TMI--and they itched when I got them, with rapid weight gain).

I am allergic to several medications: Penicillin--I was diagnosed very young and only remember having a bad rash; Allopurinol (nearly killed me--almost went into organ failure); and Welbutrin--same exact kind of hives I've had the last two times.

Here's my hypothesis: I'm losing weight quite rapidly, and my understanding is that toxins can be stored in our fat cells. Is it possible that my fat cells are releasing stored Welbutrin or whatever I'm reacting to, into my bloodstream, causing a histamine response?

I'm trying to run searches and have found other posts on other boards with similar thoughts, but can't find anything concrete to support or refute my hypothesis. It doesn't help that Wikipedia is down today.

Anyway, have any of you experienced or heard of someone else experiencing anything similar? I'm certainly not planning on slowing my weight loss. I'll just deal with the hives. I'd rather be skinny and covered in red, itchy splotches than fat any day.
I had SERIOUS hives when I did a 500k/day version of HCG. I wasn't sure if was the supplemental amino acid drops causing the reaction or the rapid fat loss. I just started JUDDD today, so we'll see if I start experiencing hives again. At one point last year, my lip swelled so much, i had to go to the doc and get shots...
Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

What is JUDD please ?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Angel, JUDDD is Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet. Basically Alternate Day Fasting.

I had been on Claritin forever for my nasal allergies, but when I went to the allergist he switched me to Zyrtec (Cetirizine HCl 10 mg). He said it still works on nasal symptoms, but it much better at dealing with skin irritations, itchiness and hives. I've been on it since. Used to take 2 per day. Now I take one every other day, but have been contemplating doing away with it altogether and just using it when seasonal stuff gets out of hand.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel38 View Post
What is JUDD please ?
Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet. There are sticky posts at the top that explain it in depth.

It is based of Dr. Johnson's book "The Alternate Day Diet".
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Angel, JUDDD is Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet. Basically Alternate Day Fasting.

I had been on Claritin forever for my nasal allergies, but when I went to the allergist he switched me to Zyrtec (Cetirizine HCl 10 mg). He said it still works on nasal symptoms, but it much better at dealing with skin irritations, itchiness and hives. I've been on it since. Used to take 2 per day. Now I take one every other day, but have been contemplating doing away with it altogether and just using it when seasonal stuff gets out of hand.
I gained 20 lbs on Zyrtec despite no changes in my eating habits. The Zyrtec was the only change. It finally clicked and I Googled "Zyrtec weight gain" and found a lot of similar stories. That isn't supposed to be a side effect but apparently it is for some people. I dropped the Zyrtec and the 20 pounds came off pretty quickly.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
I gained 20 lbs on Zyrtec despite no changes in my eating habits. The Zyrtec was the only change. It finally clicked and I Googled "Zyrtec weight gain" and found a lot of similar stories. That isn't supposed to be a side effect but apparently it is for some people. I dropped the Zyrtec and the 20 pounds came off pretty quickly.
That’s interesting. I tried it once when my allergies were bad and Claritin wasn’t doing the job. I gained a few pounds over a couple of days, but I could never be sure if it was the Zyrtec or the allergies. Since the allergies were already bad before I switched to Zyrtec, that could well have been the culprit.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyBeav View Post
WHAT??????

Okay, I didn't gain on it (I don't think), but now I wonder if I would lose if I quit? OMGosh, Frosty, you really have me thinking.....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
WHAT??????

Okay, I didn't gain on it (I don't think), but now I wonder if I would lose if I quit? OMGosh, Frosty, you really have me thinking.....
Well, it doesn't affect everyone that way but it may be worth a try.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Thank you x