Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Dr. Oz (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753874-dr-oz.html)

leonak 01-17-2012 07:38 AM

Dr. Oz

Watched him on Monday - what did you think? Some today feel "things" are put in our food to make us eat more and others feel that is not true! I'm not sure!!

Today he is going to be telling about supplements and what is in them, should be good!

SoHappy 01-17-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonak (Post 15335992)
Watched him on Monday - what did you think? Some today feel "things" are put in our food to make us eat more and others feel that is not true! I'm not sure!!

Today he is going to be telling about supplements and what is in them, should be good!

Certainly many manufactured and overly processed foods contain additives to enhance flavor, extend shelf life, ****** spoilage, etc. etc. So it's pretty common knowledge that with all these additives, if you are concerned, sensitive, whatever.. you read labels.

Even within the same kinds of processed foods, there will be some brands that are *purer* than others. For example, if you want just plain peanut butter, look at the ingredients. Many have the ground peanuts and a speck of salt, but the peanut oil has been extracted and replaced with cheaper soybean oil. The extracted peanut oil can then be sold at a higher price than the cheap soybean oil that replaces it. But the soybean oil isn't so tasty, so they add some sugar to cover up that less than pleasant flavor. It has finally become a concocted peanut butter recipe for a spread that isn't nearly as pure as the natural version, but still tasty and purchased by most.

If you buy jelly/jam to go with the peanut butter, read the labels again. Some spreads are pretty much made with the old fashioned ingredients.. fruit & juice, pectin, sugar.. but a lot have been sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which many try to avoid because of the elevated fructose/glucose ratio in it, plus have anti-mold chemical additives. You wouldn't think it would be necessary, but some even have artificial color and flavoring added.

Honey may be pure honey, but some are a blend of honey along with HFCS, which still has the honey flavor, but is much cheaper to put on the grocery shelf because of how cheap the syrup extender is compared to the honey itself.

I don't believe that *stuff* is put into our foods to make us eat more, and frankly, only some of us DO overeat. It would be nice to say I got fat because *they* made me do it.. I couldn't resist because they put additives in my food that overpowered me.. but while I do think our poor food choices can compound until those poor choices and overeating finally *break* us, I think it's pretty much of our own doing.

So I rely on choosing mostly good foods, lots of Farmer's Market stuff when it's available, choosing fine artisan breads over the pre-sliced additive-laden varieties, etc. and then eating moderately on JUDDD. I eat from all the food groups, make a lot from scratch with whole ingredients, include all macro groups including carbohydrate, enjoy some of the manufactured processed stuff for it's convenience occasionally, and it works out well for me.

gotsomeold 01-17-2012 08:49 AM

I didn't watch the show so I can't speak to new-fangled addictive additives, although I am quite willing to believe they exist and are in use.

Argh, Pat. Thee and me have watched foods change. That sugar was added to the PB because some manufacturer tried it and saw sales and repeat purchases increase. When the brilliant idea to sell the peanut oil and substitute soya oil came along...well, heck just bump up the sugar/fructose content.

Look at labels - sweets and carbs appear in foods that were never meant to contain them. Heck, when I cook meat I wonder what that strange not-produced-by-the-animal liquid is that oozes out of them. Think about hens we cooked 30 or 40 years ago (ghosts of chickens passed) - that ooze was not there.

Maybe we have come so far into whatever this place is, that 'they' can 'make' many people buy and crave a specific product. Maybe 'they' are just doing what boosts sales.

I'm with the Farmer's Market, grow your own team.