Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Husband works nights...what to eat before bed (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753871-husband-works-nights-what-eat-before-bed.html)

JanisJ 01-17-2012 07:10 AM

Husband works nights...what to eat before bed

My husband works nights and gets home around 4 am. He is hungry and has a tendency to overeat at this time before going to bed. Need some ideas for a filling healthy snack. We are just getting started on eating low carb. Thanks for your help.

Knittering 01-17-2012 07:18 AM

Or he doing JUDDD? Or did you intend to post in the main lobby?

In either case, I'd tell him to consider whatever he eats at that time a "meal" and to concentrate on protein + fat.

SoHappy 01-17-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanisJ (Post 15335883)
My husband works nights and gets home around 4 am. He is hungry and has a tendency to overeat at this time before going to bed. Need some ideas for a filling healthy snack. We are just getting started on eating low carb. Thanks for your help.

Janis, are you two going to be following the JUDDD diet plan? You have posted this in the JUDDD forum, where we follow and discuss the very specialized UpDay/DownDay diet plan. Just wanted to make you aware of that.. in case you were wanting to just follow a generalized low carb diet at this time and were in here by mistake. :laugh:

If it were me, hungry after work, I'd probably fix a ham sandwich and eat a banana, drink a glass of milk with it, and sleep like a baby. But it would depend on whether I was on a JUDDD Up Day, or a JUDDD Down Day.

emel 01-17-2012 07:28 AM

turkey wrapped in lettuce with mustard/mayo (more mustard than mayo)
pork rinds with celery strips and measured-out portion of cheese
hard boiled eggs or devilled eggs

If you're not worried about cheese intake, consider making up a meaty low carb pizza that he can heat up or eat cold. Here's a link to a good one, but for me I have to eat it with something else because it's too much cheese for me.

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Or fry some pepperoni in a dry pan, on both sides. Put on a paper towel and let cool till crisp. Great with a little platter of celery strips, cheese, and tuna or chicken salad or a dip.

Hazelsmrf 01-17-2012 07:34 AM

I'd probably do hard boiled eggs or something like that. Maybe he could eat them during his break at work so that he had a few hours to digest them before going to bed.

JanisJ 01-17-2012 07:38 AM

Sorry, I did post in the wrong forum...first day on the site. Thanks for your replies.

leonak 01-17-2012 07:40 AM

You might want to join us here, this is a super great way of eating!

JanisJ 01-17-2012 07:46 AM

Thanks for the invite. I will have to see what JUDDD is about. My hubby and I both need to lose over 50 lbs each and did so about 8 years ago on South Beach. So thought we would do that again.

pjsam1156 01-17-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanisJ (Post 15336033)
Thanks for the invite. I will have to see what JUDDD is about. My hubby and I both need to lose over 50 lbs each and did so about 8 years ago on South Beach. So thought we would do that again.

Well, when you are done and ready to maintain--come over here to the *dark side*:laugh:
There is not a better WOE on the earth for maintenance!!:jumpjoy::love:

KeirasMom 01-17-2012 03:39 PM

Not just for maintenance either! I'm loving the 3 lbs/week average I'm losing so far . . . Oh and the wine and bread! :hyst::jumpjoy:

synger 01-17-2012 05:37 PM

I find that if I absolutely NEED something to eat but I don't want a full meal, something small and high-protein or small and high-fat usually fit the bill.

Sometimes I come home and I'm ravenous, but my husband says dinner won't be ready for another hour. That's when I get a tablespoon of peanut butter, or a hunk of cheese, or a few spoonsful of cottage cheese, or a tablespoon of cream cheese. They satisfy my need for creamy mouth-feel, and the fat really takes the edge off my hunger.

otherwise I'm a total witch until I get dinner, and it evaporates within five minutes. I barely taste it. When I have a small snack first, I can actually slow down and enjoy the flavor.

it might be similar before bed, even at 4 in the morning. If he doesn't want to get weighed down by a full meal, try some small protein- or protein-and-fat rich snack. Nuts and cheeses and dry sausages are very handy and require no cooking.