Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Burn 60 Calories in 6 Minutes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753789-burn-60-calories-6-minutes.html)

SoHappy 01-16-2012 04:11 PM

Burn 60 Calories in 6 Minutes

Weight-loss Challenge: Do 100 jumping jacks, 3 times a day
By Joy Bauer, TODAY nutrition expert

Complement your cardio (30 minutes of walking a day, remember!) by adding in 3 sets of 100 “jacks” throughout the day.

It only takes 2 minutes to complete each set, and you’ll burn a total of 60 additional calories a day. Every little bit helps! Squeeze in a set -- traditional high-impact JJs, or modified low-impact JJs -- before showering, while your computer is booting up, during a TV commercial break, or while dinner is cooking. Such an easy way to get your heart pumping and rev your metabolism!

So I just read the above on the MSNBC news online site. Went into the entry hall where I couldn't be seen from any of the windows, and started doing the jumping jacks. On the second jump, a sudden sharp stabbing pain jolted me in the low part of my spine. :laugh:

I might have to start with some very modest little bunny hop jumps. LOL

sophiethecat 01-16-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15334287)

Complement your cardio (30 minutes of walking a day, remember!) by adding in 3 sets of 100 “jacks” throughout the day.

It only takes 2 minutes to complete each set, and you’ll burn a total of 60 additional calories a day. Every little bit helps! Squeeze in a set -- traditional high-impact JJs, or modified low-impact JJs -- before showering, while your computer is booting up, during a TV commercial break, or while dinner is cooking. Such an easy way to get your heart pumping and rev your metabolism!

So I just read the above on the MSNBC news online site. Went into the entry hall where I couldn't be seen from any of the windows, and started doing the jumping jacks. On the second jump, a sudden sharp stabbing pain jolted me in the low part of my spine. :laugh:

LOL, Pat! That's probably what would happen to me.

And to be honest, when I exercise, it won't be to burn calories, but just for health and toning. Any calories burned will probably be eaten right back before long! :laugh:

pjsam1156 01-16-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15334287)

:laugh: Sorry to laugh--but the visual is too funny. I, too, have tried jumping jacks in recent years--the first time I come down, one or both knees go out.:hyst: I hate getting old.:laugh:

SoHappy 01-16-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15334300)
:laugh: Sorry to laugh--but the visual is too funny. I, too, have tried jumping jacks in recent years--the first time I come down, one or both knees go out.:hyst: I hate getting old.:laugh:

I know! I'm cracking up! :hyst:

I should edit to add: This is how old ladies fall and break their hips! :laugh:

pjsam1156 01-16-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15334308)
I know! I'm cracking up! :hyst:

I should edit to add: This is how old ladies fall and break their hips! :laugh:

:hyst::rofl:

Knittering 01-16-2012 04:20 PM

I'd rather just not eat the sixty calories! But then I'm lazy. :)

mayleesa 01-16-2012 04:24 PM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
does that burn calories rolling on the floor lauging me tush off!!!

dasiey 01-16-2012 04:30 PM

to funny. About 5 years ago I started jumping rope. It took a while but
I am good at it now.

SoHappy 01-16-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayleesa (Post 15334358)
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
does that burn calories rolling on the floor lauging me tush off!!!

Well, my girlfriends and I were devising easy ways of exercise that we could do at home in privacy, for free, that would actually get us to huffing and puffing and perspiring with elevated heart rates, and we came up with this one:

Get down on the carpet and lie on your back. Roll over to the right and get back up.
Get back down on the carpet and lie on your back. Roll over to the left and get back up.
Repeat this until your knees fail you and you have to call for help. :hyst:

mykidsteacher 01-16-2012 04:56 PM

ROFLOL.

Exercise is dangerous! One year, as a new year's resolution, I decided I would exercise more. Wanted to start off slow, so started in with some wall pushups. About the 3rd push-up, I heard a POP from my shoulder. Ended up with a torn ACL and in physical therapy for a couple months. (and I was even young then too--no telling what might happen if I tried to do jumping jacks now).

itsmeshelly01 01-16-2012 05:59 PM

Here is a HIIT routine that will kick your butt! Run in place as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds. Start off trying to do this 6 times and work up to 10 times. Then when you can increase the duration of the running to 45 seconds still resting for 30 seconds. This is way harder than it seems, I guarantee it and burns fat like crazy!

SoHappy 01-16-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15334758)
Here is a HIIT routine that will kick your butt! Run in place as hard and as fast as you can for 30 seconds, rest for 30 seconds. Start off trying to do this 6 times and work up to 10 times. Then when you can increase the duration of the running to 45 seconds still resting for 30 seconds. This is way harder than it seems, I guarantee it and burns fat like crazy!

Thanks, Shelly. LOL This is always how I jogged.. run and count paces, then walk and count paces, and then run again.

I'll do the run in place here at home and then can sit down when I want to. :)

pjsam1156 01-16-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15334394)
Well, my girlfriends and I were devising easy ways of exercise that we could do at home in privacy, for free, that would actually get us to huffing and puffing and perspiring with elevated heart rates, and we came up with this one:

Get down on the carpet and lie on your back. Roll over to the right and get back up.
Get back down on the carpet and lie on your back. Roll over to the left and get back up.
Repeat this until your knees fail you and you have to call for help. :hyst:

:hyst::rofl::hyst:

piratejenny 01-16-2012 08:55 PM

Boooooooooooooooo!!!
If I were going to spontaneously break out in jumping jacks at random times,
I would have to wear a bra all day! At home!!!
Booooooooooooooooo!!!

:laugh:

SoHappy 01-16-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15335158)
Boooooooooooooooo!!!
If I were going to spontaneously break out in jumping jacks at random times,
I would have to wear a bra all day! At home!!!
Booooooooooooooooo!!!

:laugh:

Well, I wondered if they could legitimately be called jumping jacks if you weren't doing that part of flinging your arms up and together over your head? I mean, if you're busy with your hands, supporting yourself, does that count? :laugh:

piratejenny 01-16-2012 09:17 PM

Jumping Jills?

:hyst:

SoHappy 01-16-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15335192)
Jumping Jills?

I'll bet that's it! :laugh:

NoelleSilvia 01-16-2012 10:05 PM

Hahahaha omg this thread is cracking me up!! I'm going to have to do Jumping Jills too! Probably couldn't anyways cuz I live in an apartment and there's a HiFi store below us, so they would not appreciate me doing those.

gotsomeold 01-17-2012 02:39 AM

I think it would be wisest if I start small and build up gradually:

Get down on the floor. Get up.

:rofl:

theredhead 01-17-2012 06:30 AM

I figure I get all the exercise I need when keeping my 20 month old granddaughter. Reach down and pick up the baby, put the baby down, reach down and pick up the baby, put the baby down, lather, rinse, repeat......;)

sazzie 01-17-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15335330)
I think it would be wisest if I start small and build up gradually:

Get down on the floor. Get up.

:rofl:

mykidsteacher 01-17-2012 07:23 AM

This thread is hysterical. But I see no one mentioned my number one problem with jj's. I've had 4 children. Jumping Jacks (or Jills) come complete with the pail of water.

theredhead 01-17-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15335928)
This thread is hysterical. But I see no one mentioned my number one problem with jj's. I've had 4 children. Jumping Jacks (or Jills) come complete with the pail of water.

:hyst::hyst::rofl::rofl:

pjsam1156 01-17-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15335164)
Well, I wondered if they could legitimately be called jumping jacks if you weren't doing that part of flinging your arms up and together over your head? I mean, if you're busy with your hands, supporting yourself, does that count? :laugh:

Is it supporting myself or preventing bruises on my face???:hyst:

Speck333 01-17-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15335928)

ok, seriously :rofl:

ouizoid 01-17-2012 09:14 PM

Might give yrslf a black eye doing jumping jacks!

MintQ8 01-18-2012 12:35 AM

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was coming in to be all serious and point out that I never, ever do Jumping Jacks (think they're vile) - and instead had a good laugh - thank you!!!

NoelleSilvia 01-18-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15337611)
Is it supporting myself or preventing bruises on my face???:hyst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 15338404)
Might give yrslf a black eye doing jumping jacks!

:hyst: :rofl: :clap:

ohhh... this is so much more fun than the (why so serious? :confused:) ML.