Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
JUDDD & our Coffee :)

From the CNN article I linked to below: Coffee may also alter levels of gut peptides, the hormones naturally released to control things like hunger or fullness.

I have long noticed that coffee is a natural appetite suppressant for me. It's simply a must on my DDs, and I enjoy the flavor. I love it plain, black the most.

I was thinking today how coffee often gets a bad rap, and yet it is a natural product, as much as any that health-food advocates want you to consume, and yet coffee is often seen as a "vice". Yet it's a bean, and has antioxidants and polyphenols like in red wine, chocolate, and tea. I know too much caffeine isn't good for most people, but like anything else, if taken in "moderation", coffee is a good thing, imo. Plus, there's decaf for the evening

The only time I had problems with coffee was during times of anxiety - it made me unable to sleep at night if I had it too late in the day. And when I was having some gastritis it hurt my stomach too much to drink it.

Anyway, I found this article: Coffee: Is it healthier than you think? - CNN.com

Thought other coffee-lovers might be interested in it.

Some more highlights:

Coffee drinkers may be at lower risk of liver and colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, and Parkinson's disease.

Coffee-drinking men seemed to have a lower risk of advanced or lethal prostate cancer than other men, and middle-aged people who drank moderate amounts of coffee -- three to five cups a day -- had the lowest risk for dementia and Alzheimer's disease later in life compared to less (or more) frequent drinkers.

A 2008 study found that women who drank coffee regularly -- up to six cups a day -- were less likely to die of various causes during the study than their non-coffee-drinking counterparts. Because consumption of decaf coffee showed similar results, researchers don't think caffeine is at work.

...proven to moderately help brain function, a benefit that can't be chalked up to caffeine...

---

The jury's still out because of all the factors that make studies with humans difficult - too many variables.

So, do you like coffee, how much do you drink and how do you like it?

I drink at least 2 cups per day, sometimes 6 or 8. I like it black - no cream or sugar, the most, but sometimes I love it with cream and some sweetener and/or flavoring, like a cappucino. Hazelnut would be my favorite. French vanilla is good too.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-16-2012 at 01:06 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jentri
Start Date: 1/01/2011
Hooray for coffee!!

It is for me also, a major appetite suppresser! I'm not yet able to drink it black, but I am working up to that
Jentri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentri View Post
Hooray for coffee!!

It is for me also, a major appetite suppresser! I'm not yet able to drink it black, but I am working up to that
It's funny but I used to ONLY be able to drink it when it was almost white with cream and lots of sugar. I was someone who cringed at the sight of black coffee drinking

I would often have it with something sweet though, and after a while I realized I didn't need to add sugar to my coffee because whatever sweet I was having with the coffee was enough sweetness.

So I gradually lowered the sugar til I just didn't need it at all, whether I was having the coffee with something sweet or not. I still used milk/cream.

But eventually I stopped having that too, having acquired a liking for the actual taste of the coffee.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cherryhair
Stats: 230.4/215.8/160
Start Date: 1/4/12
Ok was I the only one who noticed the part about it acting as a hormone in the body. Mom died from BC so I'm always leery when I hear of anything associated with that. Dang it but thanks for the info-knowledge is power
cherryhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I don't so much think of coffee as a drink....more like the staff of life. I drink four to six cups a day - black or with hwc. I buy different beans and savor the different flavors much as I enjoy wine tastings.

It does worry me that I am physically addicted to coffee. If I try to stop drinking it, I get violent headaches. That is a concern. Hmmm, think I'll brew a cup and think about that one.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryhair View Post
Ok was I the only one who noticed the part about it acting as a hormone in the body. Mom died from BC so I'm always leery when I hear of anything associated with that. Dang it but thanks for the info-knowledge is power
Yes, I saw that part, but there are so many things in diet and environment that have the potential to act as estrogen, and coffee may or may not do that. I don't consider coffee a risk for myself, at least, or it's one I am willing to take.

One example I would consider a much bigger threat is soy, and I do not seek out soy products to consume for several reasons (one is, I just don't enjoy the flavor), though I know they are in many food products. I don't add to my soy intake with tofu or other soy products, if you see what I mean.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I haven't looked at your link yet, but did some of my own research a few months back and remember reading all the benefits you listed. There was another benefit I found interesting, and I can't remember where I read it, but for those of us who like to drink wine as well, there was a study which showed that people who drink in the evening and then drink coffee in the morning have a much reduced risk of liver disease. Just a fun (possible) fact.

The reason I started looking into coffee and health is because I have enjoyed coffee (black) from the time I was about 10 years old or younger. I heard all the reasons it was bad for children and would stunt my growth (I'm 5'10" by the way and as tall as both my father and my brother, so I don't come from a very tall family). Now, every once in a while, my daughter will ask for a little bit of coffee, sometimes black, sometimes with cream and/or sugar. She's 7. Despite my own personal experience, I didn't want to allow her to have it whenever she wanted without a little research.

Basically what I found in the articles I read is that coffee has no adverse effects on children when given in moderation. I think the research said around 4 oz. per day, and that amount was based on the amount of caffeine in a 4 oz. cup of coffee. Children these days often get way more than that from soda (my daughter is allowed one soda per week and she usually chooses Sprite). The main issue the researchers cited was the high amount of calories, because most kids and teens choose the frappucino-type coffees over a plain old cup of black coffee.

My daughter asks for coffee maybe once/month and never drinks a whole cup, so I'm not the least bit worried. She also chooses plain, unsweetened iced tea most of the time over other drinks. I find it's much healthier for her than tons of soda.

Wow, didn't mean to get into all that, but coffee is for sure a passion of mine.

BTW, loved my Cafe du Monde chicory coffee over the weekend!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I haven't looked at your link yet, but did some of my own research a few months back and remember reading all the benefits you listed. There was another benefit I found interesting, and I can't remember where I read it, but for those of us who like to drink wine as well, there was a study which showed that people who drink in the evening and then drink coffee in the morning have a much reduced risk of liver disease. Just a fun (possible) fact.
Well, I guess I don't have to worry about liver disease!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #9

Okay so now that I've read the article, I have a question? Are we smarter and have better jobs because we drink coffee, or do we drink coffee because we're smarter and have better jobs?

I do find most of us on this board seem to have above average intelligence and there are a high number of us who enjoy our coffee. Hmmmm. Food (or drink) for thought.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I don't so much think of coffee as a drink....more like the staff of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
It does worry me that I am physically addicted to coffee. If I try to stop drinking it, I get violent headaches. That is a concern. Hmmm, think I'll brew a cup and think about that one.

Yes, I've had different times where I was drinking a lot and then stopped and got bad headaches. The caffeine is addictive in a way, and there is a type of withdrawal (headaches) when stopped, often times. And then sometimes I have had no problem. I really do need to cut back on my consumption of regular. What I have done in the past, is mix decaf with regular when I'm brewing a pot, so I get half the caffeine but still get to enjoy as much coffee.

My 88 yr old grandmother drinks about a pot (12 cups) per day, and always has. She has stopped drinking it before for a number of days, maybe a few weeks, and had no headaches.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-16-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Ooh, yes I read that too a while back, and liked the idea that it was good for the liver. I often will have some red wine at night, and the next day get up and start on the coffee naturally.

I will be having blood work done this week, and the liver/gb is one area I'm having them check the numbers, so hope to keep getting good results on those tests like I always have. (Though I won't be surprised if something shows up for the GB this time since I've been having some problems lately).

Quote:
The reason I started looking into coffee and health is because I have enjoyed coffee (black) from the time I was about 10 years old or younger. I heard all the reasons it was bad for children and would stunt my growth (I'm 5'10" by the way and as tall as both my father and my brother, so I don't come from a very tall family). Now, every once in a while, my daughter will ask for a little bit of coffee, sometimes black, sometimes with cream and/or sugar. She's 7. Despite my own personal experience, I didn't want to allow her to have it whenever she wanted without a little research.

Basically what I found in the articles I read is that coffee has no adverse effects on children when given in moderation. I think the research said around 4 oz. per day, and that amount was based on the amount of caffeine in a 4 oz. cup of coffee. Children these days often get way more than that from soda (my daughter is allowed one soda per week and she usually chooses Sprite). The main issue the researchers cited was the high amount of calories, because most kids and teens choose the frappucino-type coffees over a plain old cup of black coffee.

My daughter asks for coffee maybe once/month and never drinks a whole cup, so I'm not the least bit worried. She also chooses plain, unsweetened iced tea most of the time over other drinks. I find it's much healthier for her than tons of soda.

Wow, didn't mean to get into all that, but coffee is for sure a passion of mine.

BTW, loved my Cafe du Monde chicory coffee over the weekend!
My DSs will on rare occasion (like 2 x year or something) have a cup of coffee, black with lots of sugar. They prefer tea (fruit flavors) though. I remember growing up watching my parents have their morning coffee, and it seemed like such an "adult drink". Once in a great while they would let us have a little, and it seemed like such a decadence to be having that "adult drink".

Then on a long, long road trip-family vacation when I was 16 and my brother 18, Dad started coming back to the car from the gas station/convenience stores after pumping gas, with not only cups of coffee for he and Mom, but a cup each for me and my brother. I remember feeling "grown up" because he was getting us coffee (we didn't even ask) and started drinking it somewhat regularly after that.

I'm so glad you found the Cafe du Monde at World Market! I have 2 cans of it, plus 2 boxes of the Beignet mix.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-16-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #12

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I drink both coffee and tea and am a believer in both of them. On DDs, I drink plain iced tea (lots and lots of ice and lots and lots of tea) all day long, and it is very satisfying. Coffee most mornings though.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I drink both coffee and tea and am a believer in both of them. On DDs, I drink plain iced tea (lots and lots of ice and lots and lots of tea) all day long, and it is very satisfying. Coffee most mornings though.
Yes, in the summertime I boil a huge pot of water on the stove, add 4 tea bags for about 5 min., then mix with some sugar/sweetener while it's still hot, let it cool, then put it in the fridge for iced tea.

We don't like our tea super sweet (southern sweet tea) but prefer a hint of sweetness, just our preference. Only thing is, when other people drink it, we have to warn them they'll want to add more sugar to their glass, lol.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6/239.2/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 9 June 2013
I love coffee, now!!!

I only started drinking it about 13 years ago - and only really milky, chocolately coffees.

I'm now onto strong, milky coffees - and can actually drink instant and percolated etc.

One day, I hope to move to black - on DD anyway!!!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
I enjoy my coffee all day long. It is getting blacker. Sometimes a pot a day, half caf. I have a dear friend, an MD, who goes to medical conventions. He always alerts me to the benefits of coffee. Selective research to be sure but it makes me happy. No caf after 4 pm in the afternoon. I love my peaceful rest at night. I also love tea, unsweet, regular or herbal, but not cloudy.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessreadytolose
Stats: 168/162/135
WOE: Gluten Free/Clean eating
Start Date: JUDDD 1/2/13
I drink one cup a day (hazelnut or butter toffee flavored Kcup), with So delicious coconut milk creamer, and 2 stevia packets.
I could never do black coffee, and I tried it for a few weeks with almond milk to save calories, not worth it to me. The coconut milk creamer is decadent and only 10 calories per tablespoon, YUMMY!
jessreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I love coffee! Only started really drinking it when I started Juddd...had one one DD, discovered it was a great appetite suppressor...and i was hooked!
I like it rich, white and unsweetened....with one tblsp of coffee mate powder. Other than coffee, I love herbal tea..esp nettle and chamomile, chai tea with cream, and plain hot water!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I think people just like to call anything other people really like a "vice".
Coffee suppresses my appetite, too.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #19

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I think people just like to call anything other people really like a "vice".
Coffee suppresses my appetite, too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Quote:
...The reason I started looking into coffee and health is because I have enjoyed coffee (black) from the time I was about 10 years old or younger. I heard all the reasons it was bad for children and would stunt my growth (I'm 5'10" by the way and as tall as both my father and my brother, so I don't come from a very tall family)...
I too have drank coffee since I was a kid. My mom had a rule we couldn't order it in a restaurant until we were 16 though because she didn't think it look right for a kid to order coffee. It didn't stunt my growth either - I used to be 5'9". I have shrunk a bit with age and back surgery.

I don't drink it all day long like I used to but still drink quite a bit on some days. I didn't start using cream and sweetener until I started Atkins in 2003. For some reason it just tastes good as my first cup in the morning. If I have any later in the day it is usually black.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Black coffee is the best appetite suppressant for me on DDs. I still love a good, strong mug of tea best, though
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
Black coffee is the best appetite suppressant for me on DDs. I still love a good, strong mug of tea best, though
I agree. I wouldn't get through DDs w/o a latte in the morning! And it has to be made w/expresso!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
I don't so much think of coffee as a drink....more like the staff of life.
I agree! We splurge on the good stuff and my first cup is often the best part of my day (and certainly the quietest part of my day, LOL.)

Dawn, we also let our little girl have coffee when she asks for it. She never drinks more than maybe 1/4 of a cup at a time and I'm not concerned. I've gotten looks of horror from other parents though -- usually the same people who think nothing of pouring soda into their kid's sippy cup. (I need an eye-roll icon here!)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
I agree! We splurge on the good stuff and my first cup is often the best part of my day (and certainly the quietest part of my day, LOL.)

Dawn, we also let our little girl have coffee when she asks for it. She never drinks more than maybe 1/4 of a cup at a time and I'm not concerned. I've gotten looks of horror from other parents though -- usually the same people who think nothing of pouring soda into their kid's sippy cup. (I need an eye-roll icon here!)
I know what you mean. We even have family members who have gotten up in arms over us letting Keira have a little bit of coffee or having an iced tea, and they're the ones giving their toddlers Mt. Dew or Diet Coke! Ugh, makes me want to kick something. Okay, rant over.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I drink coffee every day too. But it's decaf. I usually drink it black, but do enjoy it with flavored creamers rarely.

I discovered about 10 years ago that caffeine was causing ibs symptoms in me, and have been decaf ever since.

We always have a pitcher of iced tea brewed and I drink that with every lunch and supper (it's decaf too).

Every now and then, I pick up my dh's cup by mistake (he drinks half caf), and it is SO much better than decaf. But it isn't worth the stomach upset it causes.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
For those of y'all who let your kids drink coffee--

When I was 8 years old my family moved to Costa Rica; coffee is one of its main crops, and EVERYBODY drank coffee! All day long!!! I mean, little toddlers were drinking it out of baby bottles!!!

IIRC, most people drank it black with a truckload of sugar (sugar is another of CR's main crops!); it was drunk with milk (cafe con leche), too, but more as a treat.

The first time I drank coffee, around age 17 or 18, I got terrible intestinal cramps for hours. I was scared of it for a long time after that! Eventually I discovered that if I drank it with cream, I could tolerate it. Now I it. But most of the time I drink decaf--I just like the flavor, don't need the caffeine!

PS--I love the story in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", where Francie's mother gives her a cup of coffee every day and she just holds the mug and smells it...then pours it down the sink! They are so poor but her mom knows it makes her feel grown-up...and like they can have a little luxury in their lives.

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-16-2012 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
I love my coffee. I have 4 to 6 cups per day. I use fat fee half and half on DDs and regular half and half on UDs. I have containers at work that I bring from home and I will use different extracts. Almond is wonderful! I do caramel, vanilla, butter pecan. I love coffee!
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
For those of y'all who let your kids drink coffee--
Thank you for sharing that.
I have to admit that when I read this first line I was bracing myself for a lecture -- heh. I swear, we've had people react as if we were feeding her straight whiskey or something. I've never noticed any change in my daughter's behavior after a few sips of coffee but I'm sure that if we made some big deal over it, she'd be bouncing off the walls like a crazy thing.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Thank you for sharing that.
I have to admit that when I read this first line I was bracing myself for a lecture -- heh. I swear, we've had people react as if we were feeding her straight whiskey or something. I've never noticed any change in my daughter's behavior after a few sips of coffee but I'm sure that if we made some big deal over it, she'd be bouncing off the walls like a crazy thing.
lol, I even ASK my boys on occasion if they'd like some coffee, and they turn it down. They just go for it very rarely. Hot tea drinkers they are, though.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I drink a double or triple latte every morning. I do not like any sweetener/syrup but really enjoy the flavor of a dark, dark roast.

Hmmm, maybe I should be having another later in the morning or early afternoon. I think about it but usually don't act on it.
I should though, since it seems more appealing than food.

My friend and I backpacked around Costa Rica in '97 and coffee was such a pleasure. Nothing whimpy about the flavor.
I was not drinking much at that time so it was a real treat....con leche for me. Loved the hot milk.