Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I started drinking coffee at age 5. Half milk and lots of sugar. And only on Sunday mornings. I am only 5'2" though. lol
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Okay so now that I've read the article, I have a question? Are we smarter and have better jobs because we drink coffee, or do we drink coffee because we're smarter and have better jobs?

I do find most of us on this board seem to have above average intelligence and there are a high number of us who enjoy our coffee. Hmmmm. Food (or drink) for thought.
Hmmm......I despise coffee. Maybe that's what's wrong with me....
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I don't so much think of coffee as a drink....more like the staff of life. I drink four to six cups a day - black
Every now and then, I will add Hazelnut s/f creamer. I also add about 2 tbsp of Hazelnut creamer to my almond milk with my cream of wheat. YUM!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
I drink coffee (mixed 2/3 decaf--1/3 reg) all morning, then switch to decaf tea. Too much caffeine will trigger rapid heartbeat in me, but I can manage the equivilent in about 12 oz, which is why I mix it so I can have more. Drink mine with milk or cream -- no sweetener. As a winter treat on very cold days I drink one cup with a dollup of brandy -- pure nectar of the gods.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Jem, is that adorable piggy yours? SO CUTE.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #36
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
I started drinking coffee at age 5. Half milk and lots of sugar. And only on Sunday mornings. I am only 5'2" though. lol

I used to think coffee was bad for me UNTIL I had a stroke. They served coffee to me every day I was in the hospital and it was listed as a requirement on my food plan. Go figure!! Now, I make sure I have my coffee every day!!
MLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Michelle, the piglet represents the 40 pounds I lost....My fat was not that cute, though.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
Michelle, the piglet represents the 40 pounds I lost....My fat was not that cute, though.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Bumping this since I haven't had coffee at all for over a week now and had been cutting it out for a little longer than that. I wasn't a coffee drinker until JUDDD and even then I'd only have 2 cups black every other day on DD mornings. It really helped with appetite suppression since I fast until dinner every DD.

Well, for some reason recently coffee started having a bad taste to me, and I wanted to see if I could go without and have tea instead and if it would affect my appetite suppression on DDs. Surprisingly, my appetite suppression is the same drinking tea instead coffee. I drink all sorts of tea now, black, green, decaf, herbal, rooibos, etc and they all taste good to me.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I finally found a green tea mix I can tolerate. The taste is a real turn off for me.

Green tea and jasmine. I can even take it without sweetener.

I do black coffee with EVCO or cream in the morning and then switch to green tea.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I like it like I like my men-strong and bitter !

Actually not bitter...I don't drink a lot, usually no more than 3 mugs a day, but I like the dark roasts. I now use fat free hnh and Splenda. Before JUDDD I used regular hnh, but now I like to preserve every calorie I can.

I drank decaf for a long time, but now drink some "high test" for the high it gives me...
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
I enjoy a good dark roast -- but it is the base for 2 squirts of DaVinci's SF Caramel or Irish Cream syrup, 1/2 tsp of creamer and an Equal packet. Perfect combination for me. I have one when I get up, one 'to go', and generally one after dinner. I do like my KCup Chai Latte occasionally but at 60 cals, it's an UD beverage only.
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Better With Age
Stats: 169/158.9/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 21, 2012
This is my kind of a thread where I get to share my love of Coffee. My husband laughs because 18 years ago when we got married I thought coffee was gross. But for some reason I tried it again and started drinking it with lots of creamer. Now I am obsessed with dark roast, don't give me some whimpy light roast. I learned to drink it black when I did HCG. Now I can have it either way. I drink at least 3 cups on a light day. It definitely suppresses my appetite. Most days I will have a cup at about 8 pm while I am winding down from the day. NO DECAF, what is the point? Coffee and chocolate (in some form) are a match made in Heaven!

I LOVE MY COFFEE!

Melissa
Better With Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I my Cofee also.. Been drinking it for years~ I am on average a pot or two a day drinker.. Since JUDDD i have cut back only cuz i like mine with lots of creamer and spenda.. Had no clue till i measured it out that each of my cup were about 100 caloires of creamer,, so now i measure the power to 3 teaspoons and only drink about 4 cups a day.. BIG change for me.. from 8 to 12 cups per day.. ( my cup is a 20 0z cup by the way)
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I love my coffee. I actually started to allow myself more after reading the Life Extension information. Now I drink about 4-5 cups a day. I drink it black. I used to drink it with about 3 Tbs of HWC, but I preferred to save those calories and adopting to drinking it black was no big deal for me. It gets me through my down days and absolutely provides appetite suppression for me. :jumpjoy

I know you can find opposing research that doesn't support drinking coffee, but I chose to believe that it is a healthy option for me. I doubt I will get up to 12 cups, but if it helps reduce risk of diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's etc., I just might!

Info from Life extension-

Coffee's Unique Health Benefits

Coffee is the greatest source of antioxidants in the American diet. And the good news is that sound scientific studies have found that the common fears about excess coffee consumption are invalid, and higher intake means bigger benefits.
An impressive number of studies have shown a strong association between higher consumption of coffee and a significantly reduced risk of most chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and others.
With over 1,000 phytochemicals, coffee's unparalleled antioxidant punch no doubt plays a role in its protection against disease. But a multitude of direct biological actions on the body are suspected, such as an improvement in intracellular signaling, which may help prevent cancer, diabetes and more.
Drinking just one cup of coffee a day - caffeinated or decaffeinated - can decrease the risk of developing diabetes by 13%. But at 12 cups a day, the risk of getting diabetes is slashed by 67%.

--The average American coffee drinker consumes about 3.1 cups of coffee a day, but extensive research has found that higher volumes - as much as 4 to 12 cups daily - can help prevent most major killers, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes,liver disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

Far from being a risky habit, coffee has now been shown to provide powerful protection against an epidemic of diabetes and a rising tide of other age-related diseases. It's an all-natural and inexpensive elixir - to go!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD

My mom (died in 2003) would give my grand daughter coffee every morning. She'd pour some (not a lot) into a mug, add some sugar and fill the rest with milk. I don't remember her ever giving any of the other grand kids coffee.

I was visiting my son and grand daughters last week (800 miles away ) I asked my grand daughter, now age 11, if she'd like to join me with a cup of coffee. This time I "graduated" her to 3/4 mug (with sugar and milk). She loved it.

I never saw any adverse effects with her either.

For myself, I love coffee. Never drank it as a kid, but started when I got my first full-time job.

I drink 2 cups every morning. That is my "breakfast" of choice. Holds me until lunch easily.

Last edited by jodeeras; 06-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #47

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well, I am off to make a cup now, never knew I was doing myself so many favours!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Anyone tried the SF DaVinci Salted Caramel syrup?? It is so good with cream and some whipped cream on top (UD, of course!! )

laceylady - 1/2 tsp. of cream???? That's just a teaser!!! All this coffee talk ... I'm off to make some and since it's an UD, in goes the York Peppermint cream.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
Start Date: June 2013
I have been drinking coffee since I was a child as well, same story my mum would give me a sip of her coffee and sometimes I'd get my own little one with cream instead of milk! However too much caffeine gives me migraines love a good cappuccino though when I'm out and about and I'm saving for a nespresso machine!
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
My gynocolgist told me to stop drinking coffee 20 years ago because I had come in to report worrisome breast pain that she suspected was aggravated by caffeine. Sure enough, I got better within days and never had more than twinges of breast pain again, also never drank coffee much again.

When I do have a few cups over one or more days I get acid reflux. Does that not happen to anyone else? My family doctor tells me he has pretty much resigned himself to being on reflux meds because of coffee, but would rather have the coffee than be able to stop the meds. Nowadays that is pretty much what makes me stay away from it. If I could avoid the acid response to it, I would probably drink it. My husband keeps trying it and keeps quitting because of heartburn/discomfort.

I love the aroma of coffee and can see why it is a favorite.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Several few years ago I had a lump in my breast & my doctor also told me to avoid caffeine (including coffee, tea, chocolate) for a period of time. I went back & the lump was gone!

I drink decaf these days.

I used to have acid reflux 24 hours a day that was aggravated by everything...eating, not eating, coffee, bread, diet soda...

I "fixed" my acid reflux entirely with bentonite clay.
I very rarely have flare-ups anymore.
I posted a very detailed review and explanation of how I prepare it on Amazon;
look for "Now Foods Bentonite Powder 1-pound" if you're interested.

Counter-intuitive as it may seem, water with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar (or eating fermented foods like pickles & sauerkraut) can help with acid reflux. Taking antacids regularly can make it worse. What happens is that antacids weaken the acid in your stomach, so it has to produce more, eventually causing discomfort; sour foods "help" the acid.

I don't mean it's necessarily good to take it at the same time as coffee, but if a person is prone to acid reflux, it might help to drink lemon water with or between meals.

Your doctor taking meds instead of giving up coffee...that's not right!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It is 1965. I am, if I am counting on my fingers correctly, twelve years old and seated in a crowded station wagon, off on a jolly family vacation with my parents, three younger brothers, younger sister, and the dog. To save money, we tent camp wherever we go.

It 03:00 PM we crest a low hill and see, about a mile away on the next hill, the campground where we have reservations to pitch a tent and spend the night. But the road ahead is closed and a detour sign points left to an unpaved, very country road.

It begins to rain. My mother, looking at the map, says, 'That is ridiculous. If we turn right on this paved road, we will be there in four miles!"

At 06:30 PM, twilight, we pull in to the campground having driven forty scenic miles in the rain. The kids are cranky and need their dinner. The parents are cranky and need that new-fangled valium stuff. The dog has her legs crossed. The only campsite still available is over a hill and across a rickety bridge. But it is very charming: it is a square landing built out over the lake at the base of the hill.

While mother sits in the car trying to control my five-year-old sister, my three-year-old brother, and the dog; my younger brothers, my father, and I make eight trips over the darkening hill and bridge, carrying the camping equipment. In the rain.

It only takes an hour to erect the tent in what is now a driving rainstorm.

Dinner is a shared can of cold beans at 09:00 PM. Followed by tears and bedrolls.

At 01:00 AM we are wakened by my youngest brother's shrieks of joy. He is sleeping on a blow-up mattress on the low side of the tent. The mattress is floating and bouncing as the monsoon sends floods of water down the hill and slides the tent off the landing into the lake.

Serious discussion of the situation terminates as about a third of the tent drops into the lake. No way we can strike the tent, no way to make a run for the car in the dark storm. Lightening, illuminating a passing bear, verifies this. As the rain escalates, we begin trenching around the tent, building dams, trying to divert the flood while shouting, "Go away bear! Nothing for you here bear!". The tent continues inching it's way into the lake.

Hours pass. Dams give way. Trenches overflow and are re-dug. From inside the tent we hear my younger siblings, "They get to have all the fun!" I spit sodden, filthy hair out of my mouth and keep digging.

Morning beings sunlight, blue sky, little twittery birds, and mother steaming chickory flavored coffee over a soggy campfire.

"Gimme cup," I demand and take a huge swig of my first coffee. And spray it all over the campsite, the tent, my parents, and the dog. As my parents laugh, I walk my filthy self straight off the landing and into the lake.

Twelve years later a friend introduced me to really good coffee and I was hooked on the first swallow.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 06-08-2012 at 06:37 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4

That is the greatest "My First Cup of Coffee" story ever!!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
love it!

Sounds misreble at the time though.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Majella
Stats: 191/183/132
Start Date: June 2013
Very good story!! Sounds like a tough few days though
Majella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Nancy, you are a incredible story teller!! You must be a writer. LOVE the story.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #57

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Love it Nancy!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Nancy, I was completely caught up in your story! Glad you all made it through, and rediscovered your joy of coffee years later.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane.

As I recall, that particular vacation went downhill from there. Mother still occasionally mentions how much she enjoyed spending three days in a laundromat, cleaning everything we owned.

I am a storyteller thinking about writing. You know Beverly, I think I will find your old thread about 'who we are' and explain myself.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Nancy, you had me literally LOL'ing.

Write the book!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote