Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My 1st day (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753720-my-1st-day.html)

KJ-43 01-16-2012 05:16 AM

My 1st day

Good Morning,

I introduced myself in the newbie forum so I won't do that again but this is my first day on Juddd after lc'ing since 10/06. I read over alot of conversations for 2 weeks and tried to properly prepare myself for this day. I started with an ud since I think I will have more problems getting those calories in. I one thing I missed is that your numbers are based off your maintance weight I just read that today in someone question. That makes my numbers 450/1794 but I think I will be somewhere between 500-600 on dd we will just have to see. I will be back today for a mid day progress so check ya later

kj

Dottie 01-16-2012 05:19 AM

500 is a good DD "base" for most people:) If you can do less, that's fine, but if you can't, don't beat yourself up!
Welcome:)

belfrybat 01-16-2012 05:28 AM

Welcome. I'm sure you will do very well. I do have a question, though. Where did you read that our calorie allowances are based on projected maintenance weight? I couldn't find that on Dr. J's website and I've been using current weight, figuring I'd adjust every 10 lbs. lost. I'm new to this as well and want to make sure I'm starting off right.

oneoftwo 01-16-2012 05:34 AM

Good Luck, this is a great group and I am sure you will have great success!

KJ-43 01-16-2012 05:40 AM

I read it in a thread called Want To Try JUDD But Scared and sohappy was replying to a question.
kj

KeirasMom 01-16-2012 06:04 AM

I don't use maintenance numbers either, and there are others who don't. I figure if I'm losing (and I'm losing very well right now) there's no reason to lower my calories further. I'd rather try to keep my metabolism as high as possible and lower calories only when weight loss slows down.

I know there are several other people who do this too. I think it really is more dependent upon how much you have to lose. If you're close to maintenance, it makes sense to start at maintenance numbers. I still have at least 75 lbs to lose, so it doesn't make sense for me. Then I'd be afraid my body would adjust to the lower calories and I'd have to go lower still, if that makes sense.

lil miss 01-16-2012 06:43 AM

Hey, I was intrigued by what you said about the maintenance calories and so I went and read what SoHappy said in the other thread.

I might be wrong but I THINK what she was saying was that on our "UP" days we are eating up to our maintenance level calories, meaning we are not eating a deficit of calories for that day [ie 1200] she did NOT mean put in your maintenance weight in the calculator.

I could be wrong, but this is how I took this.

I think Keira's Mom makes an excellent point too about not going to low initially bc then you will just have to dip lower and lower.

I am going to readjust when I lose 10 lbs just as belfry suggested.

pjsam1156 01-16-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil miss (Post 15332346)
Hey, I was intrigued by what you said about the maintenance calories and so I went and read what SoHappy said in the other thread.

I might be wrong but I THINK what she was saying was that on our "UP" days we are eating up to our maintenance level calories, meaning we are not eating a deficit of calories for that day [ie 1200] she did NOT mean put in your maintenance weight in the calculator.

I could be wrong, but this is how I took this.

I think Keira's Mom makes an excellent point too about not going to low initially bc then you will just have to dip lower and lower.

I am going to readjust when I lose 10 lbs just as belfry suggested.

I think you are right--everything I've read says to put your current weight into the calculators to determine your numbers.:D
Good Luck and Great to have you with us!:jumpjoy:

sophiethecat 01-16-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ-43 (Post 15332084)
Good Morning,

I introduced myself in the newbie forum so I won't do that again but this is my first day on Juddd after lc'ing since 10/06. I read over alot of conversations for 2 weeks and tried to properly prepare myself for this day. I started with an ud since I think I will have more problems getting those calories in. I one thing I missed is that your numbers are based off your maintance weight I just read that today in someone question. That makes my numbers 450/1794 but I think I will be somewhere between 500-600 on dd we will just have to see. I will be back today for a mid day progress so check ya later

kj

Good morning :) You don't have to use your maintenance numbers to start off with. I did because I was so close to goal. Also, what is your height?

SillverOrchid 01-16-2012 07:27 AM

Good luck today! You will do great! :hugs: I am one of those who doesn't keep my calories on DDs below 500, I just can't do it yet.. so I keep them between 500 - 700

KJ-43 01-16-2012 07:49 AM

Thanks everyone when I read it it was early in morning so maybe I took it wrong but the ud number seems more doable to do at 1794 then 2000 would be so maybe I will shoot between those numbers. I am 5'10 and carry my weight well but unfortunately it does not get me back in the farely new clothes in my closet. The problem now is I am not hungry right now and I ate at 8 and don't look to be hungry anytime soon so getting in those calories ither way is going to be hard.
kj

mykidsteacher 01-16-2012 08:04 AM

Hey KJ. Good to see you.

I have trouble getting the UD cals in too. I am close to maintenance, but if I weren't, I think I'd start out using the higher cal limit and see how it goes. I like the idea of pushing that limit to keep the metabolism boosted. If I didn't lose in a week, I'd adjust them then.

But I'm new too and might have no clue what I'm talking about. LOL

sophiethecat 01-16-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ-43 (Post 15332576)
Thanks everyone when I read it it was early in morning so maybe I took it wrong but the ud number seems more doable to do at 1794 then 2000 would be so maybe I will shoot between those numbers. I am 5'10 and carry my weight well but unfortunately it does not get me back in the farely new clothes in my closet. The problem now is I am not hungry right now and I ate at 8 and don't look to be hungry anytime soon so getting in those calories ither way is going to be hard.
kj

I'm 5'6.5 and lost great on 1700-1800 calories, so with your added height, perhaps 1794 is too low for you. It's good to have a big swing between UD and DD numbers otherwise this diet will start to blur into a regular low-calorie diet. Would advise to keep UD calories as high as you can to still lose and keep the metabolism revved up too.

KJ-43 01-16-2012 08:20 AM

Ok I went back in to recalculate my numbers I fogot I had loss some of my weight since I first done it so I am looking at about 1878 for my ud so I will we working on that today. Thanks everyone

kj

gotsomeold 01-16-2012 09:24 AM

On DDs we initiate a lot 'starvation' processes in our bodies. Processes that culminate with a slowed metabolism. UDs are meant to say 'Stop panicking! We got foooood again!" This prevents metabolism from actually going all pear-shaped.

Anyone who needs to lose a lot of weight has to eat to UD calories for their current weight - or all that happens is another low-cal diet that probably fails.

Everything I've read says eat to UD calories for current weight. And recalculate that regularly.

And, when you get close to maintenance, don't drop below the calculated calories in hopes of speeding up that last 10 pounds! (Not that I have to worry about that for awhile)

gotsomeold 01-16-2012 09:25 AM

AND :welcome: KJ!!!!!

lil miss 01-16-2012 09:33 AM

GOOD LUCK KJ!

I am new too and you are so right, DD are easier than UD!

dasiey 01-16-2012 01:23 PM

welcome and good luck

SoHappy 01-16-2012 02:23 PM

I'll bet you'll do very well with weight loss if you use the calculator number given to you. It doesn't look like you have a tremendous amount of weight to lose.. you are tall also.

About the only time it makes much sense for folks to cut a few hundred off of their UD calorie number is IF they are a LOT over their eventual goal weight... and so that UD calorie number they were given was based on maintaining a whole lot of body fat. :)

Since that isn't the goal we have in mind, many of us who need to lose a lot of body fat do chop that UD calorie number down a bit.

But it's OK to start out high and lower the UD number if you find that you need to.

Kissa 01-16-2012 02:59 PM

Welcome KJ and enjoy the trip.

KJ-43 01-16-2012 05:00 PM

Ok first day down and I managed to stuff 1830 in calories down and I even worked out and I am still stuffed. I have my food tomorrow plan and it looks like it should be a little over 500. Thanks everyone again for your help
kj

SoHappy 01-16-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ-43 (Post 15334499)
Ok first day down and I managed to stuff 1830 in calories down and I even worked out and I am still stuffed. I have my food tomorrow plan and it looks like it should be a little over 500. Thanks everyone again for your help
kj

You're on your way now! :up:

sophiethecat 01-16-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ-43 (Post 15334499)
kj

LOL, somehow my brain switched these words around, and I saw it as "first down day and I managed to stuff 1830 calories down"... :laugh:

Whew, glad I was wrong!

You're off to a great start! :high5:

lil miss 01-16-2012 05:05 PM

Good Job!

mykidsteacher 01-16-2012 06:39 PM

Sounds good KJ!

I went over a bit on my dd today, but I'm not going to sweat it.