Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Im about to give up. :( (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753718-im-about-give-up.html)

itsmeshelly01 01-16-2012 04:18 AM

Im about to give up. :(

So i got up today and weighed this morning and was 150. I dont understand. I was 144 sat morning and then 150 this morning. I ate a little more carbs yesterday but not much. 125 grams. I just dont knwo what what to do or where to go from here. If i have to end up restricting even more than is this woe even worth it? If every weekend i gain 5 or 6 lbs and then lose the same through the week then im not getting anywhere. Its not even like i am just all out binging all weekend long. Im eating lower cal on sat and higher cal on sun, about 1200 sat, 1800 to 1900 on sun. I dont know what im doing wrong. My DD's are under 500. I dont want to just lose and gain the same 5lbs every week. If it was between 140 and 145 that would be fine but its between 145 and 150 and i dont like that. I dont know what to do guys. Im about to just give it up. I feel amazing though. I really do feel good. And makes this even worse is that i felt good yesterday. I went to bed last night feeling skinny, knowing the scale would be up some but i thought maybe 2 or 3 lbs and then to get that number again for the third in a row as hard as i a working at this.
Im just frustrated and then i get some bad news about my son this morning too and that has just about did me in. I almost feel like not even going to work but im going to go.
Sorry to bring anyone down i just dont know what to do. :dunno::dunno:

NoelleSilvia 01-16-2012 04:24 AM

Awww :console: Is it just the scale though, or do you notice by your clothes that you are gaining as well? Have you tried lowering your carbs? You might be sensitive to carbs? I am thinking it is water weight, because your calories seem absolutely fine :dunno:

I'm sorry, I'm not very experienced with JUDDD yet, so I can't give you sound advice, but I can give you a big hug and hope the best for you!!

Oh -> don't give up! Hang in there!

wastednuffime 01-16-2012 04:32 AM

First of all ..BIG :hugs:

Secondly, look at your stats, you have done GREAT!!!,...Having said that, i admit i know what you're feeling ( although I'd kill to be anywhere near your current weight :))

Your frustration rings loud and clear and I'm sure someone here with way more knowledge will pop in and give better advice. I am not an expert on JUDDD, or any woe really, except to say that i personally Know LC works.. JUDDD in general, is a wonderful way to eat. It allows freedom and for many, on going maintenance with ease. It may not be for everyone, understandably so, as our tolerances vary.

Don't throw in the towel yet, Help is on the way...:up:

Dottie 01-16-2012 04:41 AM

:hugs:
The "scale dance" can be frustrating. I know things like allergy meds, advil and other pain meds, pms and things can make me retain a lot of water weight. If you're feeling skinny, how are your clothes fitting? There have been so many posts on here about how fat cells hold onto water before they let go, is it possible you're having fat/size loss but those little boogers are holding onto water?

Pami 01-16-2012 04:51 AM

From "the website":

Quote:

To Help Ensure Your Success…

Remember to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
Exercise regularly, particularly on Up Days.
To avoid frustration from weight fluctuations, weigh yourself only once a week, on the morning after a Down Day.
If you eat 1200 cals on Saturday and 1800-1900 on Sunday, then you're at least
three days from your last DD. If it is psychologically bad for you to weigh every day,
(and it looks like it is) then just weigh on Tuesday, for example. (I'm assuming that
Monday is a DD- if not, then weigh on the morning following your DD, whenever it is.)

Mommie22boys 01-16-2012 05:59 AM

:hugs: Shelly. I'm so sorry you're feeling so frustrated. I have had weeks (sometimes a couple of weeks in a row) where I have felt like I was just spinning my wheels, too.

Maybe you need to reevaluate your UD/DD numbers? Or perhaps you might consider ditching the MDs for a while. I was doing MDs for a while...I thought I needed to have the same schedule of UDs and DDs every week. Once I got over that idea and realized that I COULD do DDs on the weekend just as easily as I could on workdays, I switched to a straight UD/DD rotation. By ditching the MDs, I've gained an extra DD every other week. Might be worth a try...?

Good luck, hun!

Hazelsmrf 01-16-2012 06:15 AM

You're more sensitive to water gain, but you KNOW it's not fat right? It's bloat, not your true weight. I also think that if you can't handle looking at the difference in numbers on your scale so much, then maybe you should just weigh once a week. If you are doing higher numbers during the weekend, then just count friday morning's weight every week. Also is your scale accurate, because my old scale would fluctuate wildly whenever I'd get on it. Like 5-6 pound swings. I finally got a great scale (the top rated one on Amazon by EatSmart) and that thing is crazy accurate. No fooling it with stepping on and off!

theredhead 01-16-2012 06:41 AM

Shelly, I'm so sorry you're discouraged, but I really don't think you need to be. You're doing this mainly for maintenance, aren't you?

I'm going to tell you about how this has panned out for me, since our stats are very similar. My goal weight is 145. I had just come off a round of hCG where I hadn't quite gotten to my goal yet and the week of Thanksgiving I started off JUDDD at 151 pounds. In four weeks, even with several carby (much more than I was used to) Thanksgiving eating occasions, I dropped to 144. It was absolutely not a linear drop! I would go up and down as much as 6 pounds after two straight Up, Up and Away Days, and it would drop like a rock after a couple of really good 500 calorie DDs.

For the past four weeks, my weight has been at 144 every Saturday morning. I've been eating Free Days on Saturday and Sunday, and going up 3-5 pounds each time. I absolutely will not let that water weight scare me, because I know those good DDs are going to take care of it. (I was trying to do MDs to keep my days the same each week, but I wasn't able to be follow through very well. I decided to just do UDs on the weekends and not stress over it.)

So, now, I was about to go post this information: This weekend, I had two UDs in a row, a little bit over on calories (lots of carbs) on Saturday, and yesterday I kept to my 1900 calorie limit. This morning, I'm only up a total of exactly 1 pound from Saturday morning's weigh in. What I'm thinking is that the water weight swings are shrinking. I think that spending these weeks on JUDDD, continuing to plug along, ignoring the water weight, has resulted in a smaller fluctuation, finally. I feel confident that this week I'll actually end up with a new net loss. I guess what I'm saying is, our bodies seem to actually adapt as time goes on and it just gets better and better.

I hope you'll hang in here with us and not let the fluctuations get you down. I really think they'll settle down, in time.

Oh, and BTW, I'd like to be able to fluctuate between 140-145 instead of 145-150, and I think it's going to happen. I'm just going to be patient, and remember how far ahead of the game I am since I was gaining on straight low carb no matter how hard I tried to stop it.

lil miss 01-16-2012 06:52 AM

:goodpost:

pjsam1156 01-16-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15332006)
So i got up today and weighed this morning and was 150. I dont understand. I was 144 sat morning and then 150 this morning. I ate a little more carbs yesterday but not much. 125 grams. I just dont knwo what what to do or where to go from here. If i have to end up restricting even more than is this woe even worth it? If every weekend i gain 5 or 6 lbs and then lose the same through the week then im not getting anywhere. Its not even like i am just all out binging all weekend long. Im eating lower cal on sat and higher cal on sun, about 1200 sat, 1800 to 1900 on sun. I dont know what im doing wrong. My DD's are under 500. I dont want to just lose and gain the same 5lbs every week. If it was between 140 and 145 that would be fine but its between 145 and 150 and i dont like that. I dont know what to do guys. Im about to just give it up. I feel amazing though. I really do feel good.
:dunno::dunno:

Shelly, I'm so sorry you are having trouble with JUDDD and about your son:aprayer:
But, I have to tell you--according to the numbers you posted above, it looks as though you are using an MD every weekend? I DO NOT LOSE unless I use a strict UD/DD rotation. If I throw in an MD each week, I just maintain. I hope this helps.:love::hugs:

Star73 01-16-2012 06:58 AM

I retained fluid while doing JUDDD and got out of control on carbs so I went back to LC. I couldn't balance the calorie counting with LC, so I gave up on JUDDD, but maybe you should go back to LC and try JUDDD at the same time? It may work great for you :) Gary Taubes says that carbs make you retain fluid. I think this is more so in the people who are insulin resistant, at least that is what I've learned from this board.

SillverOrchid 01-16-2012 07:05 AM

:hugs::hugs:

sophiethecat 01-16-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15332006)
So i got up today and weighed this morning and was 150. I dont understand. I was 144 sat morning and then 150 this morning. I ate a little more carbs yesterday but not much. 125 grams.

I don't have time to post much right now, but you didn't gain 6 pounds of fat. It's water, and it happens, especially with JUDDD. If your weekends are a little "freer" with MDs on Sat and UDs on Sun, you might see it right afterward. It will also come back off after a good DD or two. Give it more time to see if the weight is overall downward each week. I agree that you should weigh less frequently if you can.

Hope you feel better soon, and sorry about your son. :console:

gotsomeold 01-16-2012 10:39 AM

:console: Hey Shelly,

Starting with the most important part, you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.

Now,
As several people have said, the human body cannot manufacture six pounds of fat in a day. This is fluid retention. Check your ankles. Do they look puffy or swollen?

So, why are you retaining water? Do you have any medical conditions or take any meds that might cause this? Is it time for TOM to pay a visit? Depending on your age, are you in menopause? (My ankles drove me nuts during just before and during menopause.)

If there is no other physical reason, your body is still adjusting to consuming carbs. There are doctors saying, forget reducing salt - it's carbs that cause fluid retention. Have a really good DD and a good part of that water will be gone in the morning. The rest of it will follow. Chuckle, because I enjoy and thrive on fats (hwc and cream cheese) my favorite DDs are vlc....and most of the water leaves over the course of one day (lol). By the end of the week I am below the previous week's low.

I looked at past posts and it looks like you are on your third week JUDDDing. That is too early to despair. Slow down the pace you are re-introducing carbs if that will make you feel better. And/or only weigh once a week. Don't panic. One day, one week does not an endless futile cycle make. You are not off track, you are just adjusting to a new and different woe.

SoHappy 01-16-2012 11:55 AM

Awww.. Shelly. I'm so sorry. :sad: But mostly about you getting unhappy news concerning your son, and not nearly so much about the weight thing.

I'm sending you a hug and really hope you will buck up and relax about a scale number... and just do JUDDD for awhile.

Respect your UD and DD calorie numbers, use a modest MD on the weekend too, if you need to maintain the *same days* type of schedule weekly, and just give it awhile. Let your body have some time to settle in, to heal, to normalize, to get used to the increase in carbs in your diet, etc. etc. I don't know if you alternate between some days of lower carb and some days of more carbs, but that may, of course, affect water weight levels. As can SO MANY OTHER factors... almost none of them having anything to do with gained body fat!

I hope so very much that you will just relax, grow calm, get your inner spirit centered, and proceed with the JUDDD cycle of days. Eat well, eat fully, respect your calorie numbers, and don't cut scant with the higher carb foods right now, if you ever want to include them in your diet in your future lifetime! Allow your body to carb up, to restore it's lost carb fuel supply with normal accompanying water weight, and then allow your body to begin to feel comfortable and confident about its safety. I think sometimes when we bounce around in how we do our plans and from plan to plan and back and this and that, our inner body switches must all feel like they're inside a rag doll, being thrown around from pillar to post! LOL

If you would give it a couple of weeks to settle in, I think a couple of things will happen for you. Your body may be more able to stabilize itself, its weight, (as much as a female's body can, which is NOT... LOL). Once you are truly stable on JUDDD, then it will be a whole lot easier to sort of pinpoint what the next step needs to be.

You've bounced around eating plans quite a bit in these last weeks/months, so if you can just alight here and abide for awhile, I think your body and mind will both find a whole lot more peace and calm and then proceed forward in a very healthful manner.

Hugs! I wish you nothing but health and success. Even if it takes a little while to get it all figured out.

2BoysMom 01-16-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15333454)
Awww.. Shelly. I'm so sorry. :sad: But mostly about you getting unhappy news concerning your son, and not nearly so much about the weight thing.

I'm sending you a hug and really hope you will buck up and relax about a scale number... and just do JUDDD for awhile.

Respect your UD and DD calorie numbers, use a modest MD on the weekend too, if you need to maintain the *same days* type of schedule weekly, and just give it awhile. Let your body have some time to settle in, to heal, to normalize, to get used to the increase in carbs in your diet, etc. etc. I don't know if you alternate between some days of lower carb and some days of more carbs, but that may, of course, affect water weight levels. As can SO MANY OTHER factors... almost none of them having anything to do with gained body fat!

I hope so very much that you will just relax, grow calm, get your inner spirit centered, and proceed with the JUDDD cycle of days. Eat well, eat fully, respect your calorie numbers, and don't cut scant with the higher carb foods right now, if you ever want to include them in your diet in your future lifetime! Allow your body to carb up, to restore it's lost carb fuel supply with normal accompanying water weight, and then allow your body to begin to feel comfortable and confident about its safety. I think sometimes when we bounce around in how we do our plans and from plan to plan and back and this and that, our inner body switches must all feel like they're inside a rag doll, being thrown around from pillar to post! LOL

If you would give it a couple of weeks to settle in, I think a couple of things will happen for you. Your body may be more able to stabilize itself, its weight, (as much as a female's body can, which is NOT... LOL). Once you are truly stable on JUDDD, then it will be a whole lot easier to sort of pinpoint what the next step needs to be.

You've bounced around eating plans quite a bit in these last weeks/months, so if you can just alight here and abide for awhile, I think your body and mind will both find a whole lot more peace and calm and then proceed forward in a very healthful manner.

Hugs! I wish you nothing but health and success. Even if it takes a little while to get it all figured out.

:goodpost:

Very sage advice there...

piratejenny 01-16-2012 01:54 PM

Shelly! So sorry you got bad news, and that you are feeling frustrated with your weight.

What day did you start JUDDD?
Also, am I remembering correctly: did you recently start exercising more?

If you feel GOOD, maybe 145-150 isn't a number to get upset about.
Some people may be able to maintain a narrow "maintenance margin" of 3-5lbs; if you often retain a lot of water but still fit into your clothes, a wider "maintenance margin", like 140-150, might work better for you. If you can get a good body fat scale or monitor, it may give you a better idea of what's going on than a regular scale.

I know what you mean about gaining a few pounds over the weekend and then taking all week to lose them--over & over, every week. I felt for a few weeks like that was what I was doing, but when I took the average of my numbers, found I had actually been losing a little bit!!! Now I don't get as upset about the occasional high number...it's amazing how little effect it has on the 7-day average!

I hope the situation with your son isn't too overwhelming. Lots of love to you both! :hugs:

itsmeshelly01 01-16-2012 04:23 PM

Than you guys so much. I was really stressed this morning and got way more upset than should have. I really do love eating this way and I don't want to quit or give up or change plans again. Im gonna sick with it. I do feel really really good. I don't think I have felt this good in years and I know it's juddd so I have to keep with it even if I never get to 140.
What's going on with my son didn't temp this morning either. I have had 2 shots of rum! And I don't drink much at all. But even with the rum I have had a great DD today and im under 400 calories. I know it's not fast and is water and that my body is adjusting im sure. Part of me wants to just go back to low carb but I can't yet. Im gonna give my body more time to adjust. Im gonna just keep going along like I have been and we will see. I feel way to good to give this up yet.
Again than you guys. I needed to hear some of the things you said. It really helped. Im not going up yet.

SoHappy 01-16-2012 04:39 PM

Just read your response, and I think the 2 rum drinks are helping. :) :laugh: :hugs:

Just live your life for a bit now. Just do simple straight-forward JUDDD and don't worry about weight for awhile.

But be with us here every day and be encouraged and supported. Glad you checked in this evening, and glad it's sounding like you're feeling better.

julietcc 01-16-2012 04:40 PM

I'm sorry about your bad news with your son. Do you think it's your weight training that's keeping the scale up? I also agree with the others that it is a water retention thing.

itsmeshelly01 01-16-2012 05:34 PM

I do think the weight training has made my lowest weight higher than what it would have been but I feel like I could be 140 and be happy there. That's what im striving for. Between 140 and 145. Im hoping it happens if I just stick with it and let juddd work. I know it's water. I ate more carbs over the weekend than I normally do and I guess my body is still adjusting. This is what I'm hoping anyway. I will definitely keep coming here and keep up with juddd. I love this board and the great people here and im not giving up.

SoHappy 01-16-2012 05:39 PM

We love you too, Shelly. I think it'll be all right. :hugs:

Knittering 01-16-2012 05:47 PM

Hang in there Shelly! And keep in mind how far you've come. How many people ever lose 100+ pounds? Almost no one! You're an inspiration to the rest of us. :)

Pami 01-16-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 15334641)
and im not giving up.

Oh good!

Try weighing tomorrow AM- besides being a
DD, the rum might have a dehydrating effect. :weigh:

theredhead 01-16-2012 07:46 PM

I'm relieved to hear you sounding like you're feeling better now. You'll be fine, I just know it!

Beeb 01-16-2012 08:16 PM

:console:

Joedi 01-17-2012 12:44 AM

So glad to see you are going to stick with it, I would miss you if you left!
I know only to well how hard it can be to cope mentally with a gain, and you are doing awesomely. Your body seems to have got its portion of carb water weight - just stick with a good UD/dd cycle, and what you will lose will be fat. Don't panic and cut out carbs, not if you want them to be part of your normal diet!
The fact that you feel skinnier seems to me that you are losing inches, do you measure?

Big hugs
Jo
X

sazzie 01-17-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

I do think the weight training has made my lowest weight higher than what it would have been but I feel like I could be 140 and be happy there. That's what im striving for. Between 140 and 145. Im hoping it happens if I just stick with it and let juddd work. I know it's water. I ate more carbs over the weekend than I normally do and I guess my body is still adjusting. This is what I'm hoping anyway. I will definitely keep coming here and keep up with juddd. I love this board and the great people here and im not giving up.

I was so glad to read your upbeat post.

My weight training has also made my lowest weight higher, but I know it's serving me well.
I've been maintaining for a couple of months and I am looking to decrease my UD calories to get that scale number down a bit.

I look at JUDDD, not as a diet per se, but as a WOE that will ultimately bring that number down.

MLE 01-17-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

:hugs:Shelly, sounds like you had a rough morning yesterday!! I hope you are feeling better this morning! Good to read that you are not giving up yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sazzie (Post 15335462)
I was so glad to read your upbeat post.

My weight training has also made my lowest weight higher, but I know it's serving me well.
I've been maintaining for a couple of months and I am looking to decrease my UD calories to get that scale number down a bit.

I look at JUDDD, not as a diet per se, but as a WOE that will ultimately bring that number down.

I don't have much JUDDD experience but I've been weight-conscious since my teens and KNOW from experience that exercise, particularly resistance/weight training adds weight *initially,* while you are building muscle mass. When 5lbs. of fat is replaced with 5lbs. of muscle, that muscle with work to burn *more* calories when you are NOT exercising, hense reducing the amount of fat on your body and eventually making you smaller (good thing!:D). So, DEFINITELY use measurements with a tape measure over the scale, or buy a pair of pants in the size you want to be and use how they fit as your guide. The reason I've switched to JUDDD is because it is an IF regiment, similar to what body builders use to strip fat while maintaining muscle mass (another good thing!:D).
Just for encouragement, at my SMALLEST size (US 2/4), I weighed a solid, not flabby skinny, 135lbs. :up:

itsmeshelly01 01-17-2012 05:34 PM

Good news! I spoke way to soon. And maybe Pam you were right. I don't know but I was 4lbs light this morning! 150 to 146 in one day from one very good DD. Thanks for all the support guys. Im not giving up. Omg I ate fried rice with my dinner tonight! How could I not love this, it's amazing! I still have some major major stress going on with my son but it's not going to ginger my woe.
Thanks again everyone!