Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Trying to stick with it but.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753687-trying-stick-but.html)

irene61189 01-15-2012 05:30 PM

Trying to stick with it but....
 
Well, today was day 5 for me and I have identified what is going to be my biggest challenge with this WOE and it's not DD's. Those are actually pretty easy for me as long as I don't start eating. My real issue is going to be eating out on my UD's. Trying to figure out how many calories I am eating is very difficult especially since a lot of times we enjoy different ethnic foods (Indian, Thai, etc.). And on Sundays, I always take my Aunt who has dementia to a Chinese buffet. It's her one outing and something that has become a tradition for us. I know I probably went way over my allotted calories.

Also, I don't see any way that I can do a DD on the weekend because we do eat out so much. I think I remember reading a post about somebody who normally did 2 UD's on weekends and then went back to alternating during the week and still managed to lose weight. Am I remembering that correctly? If so, I might give that a try. Any other thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kel7298 01-15-2012 05:40 PM

You might try making one of the weekend days an MD (eat approx 2/3 your normal UD) instead of a full UD.

Buttercup204 01-15-2012 05:58 PM

I think you're worrying too much about your UD's. They are there to keep your metabolism revved (no starvation mode here!) and to keep you feeling less restricted. I tend to eat pretty badly sometimes on my UDs but I also know there's a good DD ahead of me. I have eaten at a Lobster buffet on a Saturday with filet minion and lobster and butter and potatoes and all the fixings and had a Mid-Day on Sunday and still was lighter the next weigh in on Monday. I lost 3lbs that week. It was very motivating!!! :-) Don't stress the UDs - enjoy! Obviously try to fit some healthy food in there too but I have always though Chinese food was pretty healthy anyways (lots of veggies and protein). I still have issues with guilt though on my UDs...I am getting over it...slowly. Lol.

I think you'll be fine - I often do a M-W-F DD, Tu-Th-Sa UD with Sundays a MD (or middle-day, I eat at little more than a typical DD but still watch my overall intake to keep it close to 40-50% of my total intake, portion control takes care of much of this).

Enjoy!

-Michelle

pjsam1156 01-15-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttercup204 (Post 15331407)
I think you'll be fine - I often do a M-W-F DD, Tu-Th-Sa UD with Sundays a MD (or middle-day, I eat at little more than a typical DD but still watch my overall intake to keep it close to 40-50% of my total intake, portion control takes care of much of this).

Enjoy!

-Michelle

:hiya:Michelle, are you still regularly losing w/the above schedule? I would LOVE to use it because of the way our family dynamic is, but I still need to lose 20 lbs. as quickly as possible, and I haven't seen any stats on someone using this kind of schedule and still losing.:dunno: So, I've been worried about changing my usual UD/DD rotation.:confused:

sophiethecat 01-15-2012 06:24 PM

It sounds like these weekend dining events are an important part of your life and your loved ones as well. So if you could manage it and still have weight loss, you would be winning. :up:

You could do 3 DD during the week and have Sat or Sun be a MD and one be an UD. I can't remember if I read about doing that in Dr. J's book or it was on another website, but some people do it that way.

I have also heard of people doing both Sat and Sun as UDs and that's another choice you could make. It might slow your loss, but maybe it wouldn't. :dunno:

You would just have to try one of these options and see how your weight loss went for you. If it stopped, you would know it wasn't working out for you and would need to be considered again.

There are a few things I can say about calorie counting when dining out.

When I went out to a buffet or out to eat with a lot of dishes where I didn't know what all was in it and how many calories, I would tend to try to eat lighter during the day and save as many calories as I could for the restaurant or event.

Then I just assumed I had eaten like, 1000-1,200 calories at the Chinese buffet :stars: In other words, I estimated and assigned the whole thing a bulky number of calories and just went from there rather than trying to add everything up. I would eat lighter during the rest of the day to compensate.

I know it's not by the book, and I can't say "do like I do" because I didn't eat out that much when I was in WLM, so once in a while that method wasn't hurting me.

Another idea is, if you know the names of the main things you'll be eating, you could look those up on a calorie counting program like ****** and see what their generic calories are for that food. That would be a starting point at least.

Oh and some restaurants have websites with nutritional info or could give you a handout of it.

HTH.

rubidoux 01-15-2012 06:43 PM

If I was going to a Chinese buffet in the evening, I would probably fast or have a 200 calorie meal during the day and hen just not worry about calories at the buffet.

Beeb 01-15-2012 06:48 PM

Guess I'm just an "old fashioned" kind of JUDDDster. I keep to the UD/DD rotation as suggested and have only had a few MDs to keep the holidays as UDs.

Depending on the week, either Friday or Saturday is always going to be a DD for me and I decided in the beginning if I was going to do this plan as, what I felt, it needed to be done for optimum success I needed to stick to how, I felt, it was suggested to do with the UD/DD rotation.

I was just too afraid that if I started throwing MDs in there so I could have easier days/weekends I would get myself in trouble, so I just made good choices on DD weekend days and saved the more food eating for the other weekend day that was going to be an UD.

I have never had a problem, and I have done buffets, and eaten at fast food places on my weekend DDs, too. I just eat smaller portions and make good calorie choices. I know I can't count calories because I don't really know how things are made, but I guesstimate when I can, look stuff up online and figure it out that way. JUDDD is the kind of WOE that helps us to NOT stress if we go over a bit or just don't know. It's very forgiving and I KNOW that if I do go over, and the scale tells me the next morning I did this, I can have one or two good DDs and it will be taken care of!

I just think JUDDD should be done, for optimum success, and at least for the first month, as it was suggested and written. I have said this before, but I didn't think to put a MD in my rotation until the holidays came, I was in maintenance and didn't want to screw up my weight loss and goal weight.

Just me, not what others should or shouldn't do, and nothing more. :)

gotsomeold 01-16-2012 03:12 AM

I wish I had a good Chinese buffet near me :(

As Buttercup said, UDs are meant to keep your metabolism humming at peak efficiency (and to ensure this woe remains fun-fun-fun). Don't sweat going over UD calories at first. Keep those DD calories low, LOG what you eat then watch how your weight reacts over time, and you will probably find yourself naturally - even unconsciously - making small adjustments to your UD selections (especially once appetite suppression kicks in). Being able to dine out and lose is one of JUDDD's great perks.

But, I really wish I had a good Chinese anything near me. :cry:

irene61189 01-16-2012 05:31 AM

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I am freaking out prematurely since I haven't weighed in yet. Actually, tomorrow is my first weigh in day and I am very scared. I'm not sure I will have the guts to get on the scale.

Michelle, I am going to try your method and see what happens. As much as I would like to do it the old fashioned way, I have a feeling that it would end up back firing on me.
Sophiethecat is right, dining out is an important ritual in our lives and it would cause too much stress to try to change it.

Nancy, I would give up Chinese restaurants to live in as beautiful of an area as you do.
We actually considered moving to Ashville at one point in our lives. Unfortunatley circumstances didn't allow it at the time and we ended up staying in Houston (lots of great restaurants but little else).

I am going to try to stay positive and stick with it long enough to see if I can make it work. Wish me luck on the scale tomorrow.

theredhead 01-16-2012 07:03 AM

I'm maintaining well by doing strict DDs on M-W-F, 1900 calorie UDs on T-Th, and FDs on Saturday and Sunday. We've been eating out a lot more lately than is usual for us, so I don't expect it to continue.

If I were trying to lose weight, and especially if I were in a hurry, I'd try to do like some other posters suggested, and just keep the calories really light before you go out. Make that your main calorie source for the day, and just assume it'll be a lot. Medium days can help, too.

************ is a great tool to keep track of calories, especially if you have a smart phone and can download the app. I use mine all the time and it's very helpful. Good luck!

Buttercup204 01-17-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15331456)
:hiya:Michelle, are you still regularly losing w/the above schedule? I would LOVE to use it because of the way our family dynamic is, but I still need to lose 20 lbs. as quickly as possible, and I haven't seen any stats on someone using this kind of schedule and still losing.:dunno: So, I've been worried about changing my usual UD/DD rotation.:confused:

I did in the past - about 3lbs a week (more the first week), but I am restarting so we will see! I always lost after a DD like this...every DD! :-) I only weigh myself after a DD and never after an UD so I don't get discouraged. Just a tip from me to you. ;)

-Michelle

Buttercup204 01-17-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15331553)
Guess I'm just an "old fashioned" kind of JUDDDster. I keep to the UD/DD rotation as suggested and have only had a few MDs to keep the holidays as UDs.

Depending on the week, either Friday or Saturday is always going to be a DD for me and I decided in the beginning if I was going to do this plan as, what I felt, it needed to be done for optimum success I needed to stick to how, I felt, it was suggested to do with the UD/DD rotation.

I was just too afraid that if I started throwing MDs in there so I could have easier days/weekends I would get myself in trouble, so I just made good choices on DD weekend days and saved the more food eating for the other weekend day that was going to be an UD.

I have never had a problem, and I have done buffets, and eaten at fast food places on my weekend DDs, too. I just eat smaller portions and make good calorie choices. I know I can't count calories because I don't really know how things are made, but I guesstimate when I can, look stuff up online and figure it out that way. JUDDD is the kind of WOE that helps us to NOT stress if we go over a bit or just don't know. It's very forgiving and I KNOW that if I do go over, and the scale tells me the next morning I did this, I can have one or two good DDs and it will be taken care of!

I just think JUDDD should be done, for optimum success, and at least for the first month, as it was suggested and written. I have said this before, but I didn't think to put a MD in my rotation until the holidays came, I was in maintenance and didn't want to screw up my weight loss and goal weight.

Just me, not what others should or shouldn't do, and nothing more. :)

Beeb, GREAT advice. I actually don't count calories on my UD or DDs because if I do then I will get into a calorie counting/dieting treadmill I have been on before and never could stick with. I count portions of certain foods and guesstimate. It works well for me and I don't get OCD about food anymore. I think that is the most important thing for long-term compliance in my opinion. I just can't calorie count for years on end - I pay attention but I don't obsess. If I did, I would quit completely. I am just that rebellious lol.

My UDs are a bit more of a free-for-all but mentally I need that - I still watch portions though. However I allow more freedom of what I am eating along with how much because I know I need to eat more to keep my metabolism high. It's tough still mentally...I get that guilt over eating what I consider a "junk food" even if it is a tiny portion of it and could still be considered a moderate amount in the grand scheme of things. However I know I need to do it to keep myself on track on my DDs. It all balances out in my favor in the end. :-) That is what matters I suppose.

Also keep in mind the first two weeks of the program is considered the "induction period" and it takes that many DDs (7 total) to fully build up the SIRT 1 gene in your body...or so I read. ;) After that period its easier to stick to the DDs.

-Michelle

Buttercup204 01-17-2012 06:30 PM

How'd it go???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by irene61189 (Post 15332105)
Thanks for the responses. Maybe I am freaking out prematurely since I haven't weighed in yet. Actually, tomorrow is my first weigh in day and I am very scared. I'm not sure I will have the guts to get on the scale.

Michelle, I am going to try your method and see what happens. As much as I would like to do it the old fashioned way, I have a feeling that it would end up back firing on me.
Sophiethecat is right, dining out is an important ritual in our lives and it would cause too much stress to try to change it.

Nancy, I would give up Chinese restaurants to live in as beautiful of an area as you do.
We actually considered moving to Ashville at one point in our lives. Unfortunatley circumstances didn't allow it at the time and we ended up staying in Houston (lots of great restaurants but little else).

I am going to try to stay positive and stick with it long enough to see if I can make it work. Wish me luck on the scale tomorrow.

You can do this! My family eats out most days of the week and I can still do this. If you're body takes to JUDDD then you'll start losing well right off. :-) Have faith! :-) Sometimes it takes people a few DD's to really get into the swing. You'll get a feel for it though. Like for example yesterday was supposed to be a DD for me but I made it a MD because it was a holiday off of work and I was too tempted to eat a bit more than a typical DD. Rather than make it a failure day and gorge (like I would have on diets in the past) I just had a few more bits of food and decided I was still up for a real DD today on Tuesday. I adjusted my schedule to make Tu/Th/Sat my DDs for this week. Sometimes I stick to the full every other day thing and sometimes it takes some adjustment so I don't give up or give in. In this WOE especially at the beginning, be forgiving and just do your best. :-) If you're really dedicated and stick to the plan then you'll go far. I am planning to lose 2lbs/wk and hoping for more! I think I might even be able to get my DH to do it with me this time around which will make my commitment even higher and makes the DDs much easier. I didn't have that support last time around and it was more difficult.

Great DD today for me though!!! I can't wait to weigh tomorrow. It's really my first good DD so far since restarting. This last weekend was tough for me. However sometimes I wonder why I ever stopped JUDDD in the first place - its not like the results weren't good...they were great and the UDs were wonderful too. Hmmm...I think it helps that I found this great support group to help keep me in line!!!

I hope your peek at the scale went well. Let us know! :-) :clap:

-Michelle


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.