Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I feel like I think about food ALL.THE.TIME

This is hard to get used to. I had gotten to the point with primal that I just didn't have to think about it. I know what I can and can't eat, have my standard go-to's and that's that.

Now I'm always planning what I'm going to eat, or figuring up how many calories in what I just ate.

I use ****** to help, but anything that is more than one ingredient is a royal pain to figure. Any tips for making that part easier? I don't eat packaged foods, or at least not many of them--pretty much cook everything from scratch.

If anything deters me from JUDDD, I can see the calorie counting being the thing that does it.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
This is hard to get used to. I had gotten to the point with primal that I just didn't have to think about it. I know what I can and can't eat, have my standard go-to's and that's that.

Now I'm always planning what I'm going to eat, or figuring up how many calories in what I just ate.

I use ****** to help, but anything that is more than one ingredient is a royal pain to figure. Any tips for making that part easier? I don't eat packaged foods, or at least not many of them--pretty much cook everything from scratch.

If anything deters me from JUDDD, I can see the calorie counting being the thing that does it.
It does require a complete shift in thinking, when one comes off a LC or similar plan that doesn't require so much calorie thinking as carb or macronutrient thinking.

But you will get the hang of it fast. I used ****** too when I was counting UD calories, and it will keep your most used food items there handy for when you need to log them again. You can also create custom foods to pull up again and again.

If you find it's taking too much time to look things up (especially casserole type dishes or have many ingredients or eating at someone else's place) I just used ******'s generic food and moved on. Examples, whatever ****** had in their data banks for a lasagna or chili or a veggie pizza with cheese. Then all you have to do is put in the amount.

It DOES seem to take up a fair amount of time and energy at first thinking about calories, adding the foods to your food log, figuring, etc, but it gets easier, faster, and by the time you get to maintenance, you might not have to do it anymore. Using myself as an example, my metabolism revved up so much after a while on JUDDD that on maintenance I have FDs (free days) where I do not count a calorie, log a food item, or think about it... just eat! And DDs are so simple there isn't much counting to do for me, especially once you get used to certain "go-to" foods that you have again and again and you pretty much remember the calorie count. Or during maintenance, you might do like me and just estimate calories and eyeball portions on DD and move on. It hasn't mattered much for me in maintenance if I thought it was a 500 calorie DD and it was actually a 700 calorie one, if you see what I mean. Just letting you know that the work and effort put into all this at the beginning of JUDDD will pay off as you get more used to it and as you go along and when you get to maintenance.

Right now, it's all new and still a bit overwhelming to you perhaps as your body and mind adjust to this complete turn-around thinking and woe, but you will adapt.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
At first it can be a bit time consuming...but Atkins was the same way for me in the beginning, and so was WeightWatchers or whatever diet I have been on. Most of the basic food items are in ****** but you may have to take an afternoon or evening and sit down with your most frequent recipes and put everything into ****** one ingredient at a time to see just what the whole recipe's nutritional profile is, then divide those numbers by the number of servings the recipe makes. Then, create a *custom food* titled with whatever that recipe is for, enter the nutrition for a serving and then you'll never have to input each ingredient again.

I am guessing that you will come to a place *again* when you will have the experience to know what you can and can't eat, etc. Bottom line is, don't give up yet!!
Lost 30lbs. in 6 months with Atkins
Learned the value of carbs with CTFLC
Trying JUDDD on for size
Minigoal - 135lbs.
GOAL - 125lbs.
MLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 198/168/170
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14,7/2/14
Hello,

I am starting tomorrow and I have bought some WW meals and Lean cusines to start out with and for the up days I will eat mostly my lc meals which I already have my counts for even in ******. I took an extra week to get prepared instead of me starting last week b/c I commute to work and am on the road for almost 3hours a day so I always have to be prepared with any woe. I not going to like counting calories but I am going to give Juddd my hardest try for these 2weeks.

kj
Old 01-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I thought the same thing at first. Now a couple months into it, it's very simple. I know what fits into my calories for DDs, and UDs are more a matter of recording what I've eaten rather than having to figure out what can fit into my plan.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all. I'll stick to it. And you are right, there's a learning curve to everything.

I have been creating custom foods, and that is helping. I think I make it more complex because I also want to keep track of carbs/protein/fat (even though I don't need to for JUDDD, I want to for other reasons).
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
I am reaching the end of my first week, I have to admit the first few days were a little overwhelming, but as the days go on I am getting used to counting.. I agree that with any new plan the learning curve can be a pain but eventually we get used to it!
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
skinny taste website has great lowcal recipes that include calories and use fresh ingredients not packaged. It is my go-to site!
Wine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KJ-43
Stats: HW 279 198/168/170
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 10/30/06 ,restart 1/2/14,7/2/14
I also found a website through a friend called chefwoody and I have found some great recipes on there.
kj

Last edited by KJ-43; 01-15-2012 at 06:17 PM..
KJ-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the websites! I will check them out more tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
I plan my meals in advance. Every morning I take 10 minutes to insert all my meals into a calorie counter. I sometimes have to take an estimate of the amount of grams I'm going to have but often I end up using less and then I only have to go back to change the grams. It saves me a lot of time than when I have to think about it throughout the day and have to decide on the spot how much to eat and if I would have to insert it after every meal.
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I began to look at it like taking a small course at school, or of learning a new skill.. in that it required a little bit of study and a little bit of homework. But after I'd mastered and learned, I was rewarded with the knowledge and the results.

I'd have preferred not to have had to put anything into it. LOL Not that I'm lazy, but.. well, OK.. I'm just going to say that I'd have preferred not to have had to put anything into it and leave it at that.

It's certainly not anything that is hard, and very shortly, it's not very time consuming either, and then shortly after that, you pretty much know the values of most of the things you eat, and then it's a cinch!

It's worth it. I didn't want to be fat, and I wanted this to be the plan that I used to manage my weight forevermore. So the calorie-thing pretty much was what I needed to do to succeed.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hi, mkt!

I see you are very close to maintenance--I was going to mention "Free Days" and counting only on DDs, as some maintainers do, but I see Sophie beat me to it!!!

But to address your thread title--for the last week or so I have been IFing, and it has really taken my mind off food. I don't count calories, just eat in a window of about 5 hours each day. I may be hungry for a few hours, but I know I'll be eating later (unlike on a typical DD, when the next "real" meal seems SO far away!); I really look forward to it, but I'm not anxious about it!

One could still incorporate JUDDD principles into IF; higher calories one day, lower the next. Especially in/near maintenance, since the difference in calories doesn't have to be so drastic! In order to mix things up/get in enough calories for an "Up Day", I have been allowing a 7- or 8-hour window on weekends and even once or twice during the week if I am having a day that I feel particularly hungry.

You may find it beneficial to do the 2-week "induction" of JUDDD, to get the health benefits activated, and try the FDs or IF afterwards. If you know you'll only be counting for 2 weeks, it might not seem as tedious!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've got a notebook started with values of dd foods (yes, they are in ******, but then I need to be online to see them). I can see that that will be a valuable resource very quickly.

And Pat, you pegged it. I would prefer not to have to put anything into it. LOL

I def think I need the variance in calories to wake up my metabolism though. I lost easily when I first started paleo, but I think I also ate more calories. When I started tracking in preparation for JUDDD, I was only getting about 1100-1200 cals/day, and I wasn't at all hungry or feeling deprived. So I'm pretty sure my body has simply adjusted to this level. So it needs to be revved and shocked into burning again.

Which likely explains the 2 pound increase after my first UD, even though that was only 300 more calories than I was eating before.

And based on that, is 1500-1600 a good UD number for me? I've been fine with 500 on my 2 DD's so far. Stats 5'4", 132 (well, now 134 pounds), 46, little to no exercise. Just wondering, I guess, if there's enough variance in the UD and DD?

Maybe start there and try to push it higher when I get to maintenance?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
If it were me, I'd start with UDs at 1600, DDs at 500, and then see if I could bring DDs down even a little below 500. That does give you enough spread to get some good variance between your days, and if you find you are getting reasonable weight loss, then you can start trying to push your calorie ceilings and see if metabolism is stimulated enough to push a bit higher, a bit higher, a bit higher still.

You're slim now, right? You aren't trying to lose much, are you? If you are just wanting to maintain easily and work to push metabolic burn rate, this should be a great start.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Right Pat. I'd like to be at 130 (fluctuate between 128-132). I'm at 134 right now (down 22 from August).

I like the thought of being able to maintain, while enjoying a wider variety, and greater quantity of food.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll keep y'all updated on weight changes.