Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
question about HCG..

The only reason I'm asking this on the JUDDD forum is because I know there are several here who followed this diet plan previously.

I read in the last day or so the news that this product is illegal in the United States. What am I missing here? Here is a little blurb from the article:

Weight-loss products containing the hormone HCG are illegal and potentially dangerous, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said today, and consumers are advised to steer clear of the oral drops, pellets and sprays that can be found online and in retail stores.

The FDA, along with the Federal Trade Commission, issued warning letters today to seven companies selling over-the-counter, homeopathic weight-loss products marketed as containing HCG.

I thought this stuff has been around for decades and decades. Periodically it experiences a new popularity, but it isn't anything new.

What's the deal now? Anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
HCG is by prescription only, it's a controlled drug.
hHcg, the homeopathic, has recently come under fire because of the method to make it - there's no actual HCG in it.
My understanding is that they're cracking down on it being called HCG in any way because of "false advertising" since there's no actual hcg in the product.
Not 100% sure, but that's what I've read about all the broo-ha-ha.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
HCG is by prescription only, it's a controlled drug.
hHcg, the homeopathic, has recently come under fire because of the method to make it - there's no actual HCG in it.
My understanding is that they're cracking down on it being called HCG in any way because of "false advertising" since there's no actual hcg in the product.
Not 100% sure, but that's what I've read about all the broo-ha-ha.
OK, that makes sense. This makes it sound like there may be a lot of folks not actually getting the HCG they are counting on if their product is being sold for the protocol but doesn't actually contain the stuff.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I always used the real stuff you order through Canada. You're not required to have a prescription to get it from other countries. I completely trusted my source.

I've read long, involved explanations about homeopathy and how the hCG drops work although they contain none of the actual hormone. It made sense when I read it, and there are certainly a lot of people who will attest to the fact they find it works as well as the injections of the real stuff. For me, I wanted to do injections because it was one tiny shot in the morning and I didn't have to think about it again for the rest of the day. The drops need to be taken more than once a day, and I think you can't eat or drink for 30 minutes afterward. I would find it terribly inconvenient.

I was a true skeptic at first, but I read the threads at LCF for two months before I took the plunge. Both my DH and myself lost the last 50 pounds we'd been struggling with. Maintenance has been the real problem. JUDDD seems to have solved that problem.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
The h-HCG worked like a charm for me. No way I could have stayed on 500 cal for three weeks without it. When I first read the criticism 6-8 months ago and that the FDA was looking into it, I purchased two bottles, and the very next week both E-Bay and Amazon took it off their sites. So, in the spirit of "my body, my science experiment", I tried the diet without h-HCG. I lasted five days before I was starving, and didn't lose any real weight.

I really think the Government needs to stay out of things like this. There is no evidence that anyone was harmed by taking h-HCG, and much evidence that many folks were really helped. OK -- getting off my soapbox now.
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
Hmmm, good to know. I wasn't sure what it was, but I work for the Army (they have their own list of things that are legal/illegal) and a Soldier called me a few weeks ago and asked if it was illegal. I couldn't understand 'why' it would be, but I think I do now. I forwarded him to someone else that should have had the correct answer. But I guess I should check into it further. I learn so much here....
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
Hmmm, good to know. I wasn't sure what it was, but I work for the Army (they have their own list of things that are legal/illegal) and a Soldier called me a few weeks ago and asked if it was illegal. I couldn't understand 'why' it would be, but I think I do now. I forwarded him to someone else that should have had the correct answer. But I guess I should check into it further. I learn so much here....
He could also have been asking about the prescription (injectible) HCG as some athletes take it and if it shows up in their urine, they are disqualified. Can't remember now, but I think in larger doses it helps build muscle?
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote