Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   question about HCG.. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753658-question-about-hcg.html)

SoHappy 01-15-2012 12:42 PM

question about HCG..

The only reason I'm asking this on the JUDDD forum is because I know there are several here who followed this diet plan previously.

I read in the last day or so the news that this product is illegal in the United States. What am I missing here? Here is a little blurb from the article:

Weight-loss products containing the hormone HCG are illegal and potentially dangerous, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said today, and consumers are advised to steer clear of the oral drops, pellets and sprays that can be found online and in retail stores.

The FDA, along with the Federal Trade Commission, issued warning letters today to seven companies selling over-the-counter, homeopathic weight-loss products marketed as containing HCG.

I thought this stuff has been around for decades and decades. Periodically it experiences a new popularity, but it isn't anything new.

What's the deal now? Anyone know?

Dottie 01-15-2012 12:53 PM

HCG is by prescription only, it's a controlled drug.
hHcg, the homeopathic, has recently come under fire because of the method to make it - there's no actual HCG in it.
My understanding is that they're cracking down on it being called HCG in any way because of "false advertising" since there's no actual hcg in the product.
Not 100% sure, but that's what I've read about all the broo-ha-ha.

SoHappy 01-15-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15330456)
HCG is by prescription only, it's a controlled drug.
hHcg, the homeopathic, has recently come under fire because of the method to make it - there's no actual HCG in it.
My understanding is that they're cracking down on it being called HCG in any way because of "false advertising" since there's no actual hcg in the product.
Not 100% sure, but that's what I've read about all the broo-ha-ha.

OK, that makes sense. This makes it sound like there may be a lot of folks not actually getting the HCG they are counting on if their product is being sold for the protocol but doesn't actually contain the stuff.

theredhead 01-15-2012 01:48 PM

I always used the real stuff you order through Canada. You're not required to have a prescription to get it from other countries. I completely trusted my source.

I've read long, involved explanations about homeopathy and how the hCG drops work although they contain none of the actual hormone. It made sense when I read it, and there are certainly a lot of people who will attest to the fact they find it works as well as the injections of the real stuff. For me, I wanted to do injections because it was one tiny shot in the morning and I didn't have to think about it again for the rest of the day. The drops need to be taken more than once a day, and I think you can't eat or drink for 30 minutes afterward. I would find it terribly inconvenient.

I was a true skeptic at first, but I read the threads at LCF for two months before I took the plunge. Both my DH and myself lost the last 50 pounds we'd been struggling with. Maintenance has been the real problem. JUDDD seems to have solved that problem. :D

belfrybat 01-15-2012 02:59 PM

The h-HCG worked like a charm for me. No way I could have stayed on 500 cal for three weeks without it. When I first read the criticism 6-8 months ago and that the FDA was looking into it, I purchased two bottles, and the very next week both E-Bay and Amazon took it off their sites. So, in the spirit of "my body, my science experiment", I tried the diet without h-HCG. I lasted five days before I was starving, and didn't lose any real weight.

I really think the Government needs to stay out of things like this. There is no evidence that anyone was harmed by taking h-HCG, and much evidence that many folks were really helped. OK -- getting off my soapbox now.

laceylady 01-15-2012 06:44 PM

Hmmm, good to know. I wasn't sure what it was, but I work for the Army (they have their own list of things that are legal/illegal) and a Soldier called me a few weeks ago and asked if it was illegal. I couldn't understand 'why' it would be, but I think I do now. I forwarded him to someone else that should have had the correct answer. But I guess I should check into it further. I learn so much here....

belfrybat 01-16-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laceylady (Post 15331542)
Hmmm, good to know. I wasn't sure what it was, but I work for the Army (they have their own list of things that are legal/illegal) and a Soldier called me a few weeks ago and asked if it was illegal. I couldn't understand 'why' it would be, but I think I do now. I forwarded him to someone else that should have had the correct answer. But I guess I should check into it further. I learn so much here....

He could also have been asking about the prescription (injectible) HCG as some athletes take it and if it shows up in their urine, they are disqualified. Can't remember now, but I think in larger doses it helps build muscle?