Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
A quesion about the length of DDs for the experts

As some of you know, I am just startiing. Went to library yest. but no JUDD book, so I am relying upon your expertise.

Am on my second DD and my stomach is growling-only coffee so far. My DD cals are only 342.

On my UD, I will normally stop eating around 7:00 pm. I will probably eat something the next morning around 9:00-what, I have no idea. I will probably finish eating on the DD also around 7:00-I have not been a snacker, and am still figuring this out.

So that means, really, that my DD starts at 7:00pm on the UD, and ends around 9:00AM the next UP. That's 36 hours of DD, with, I guess, only 12 hours of UD, right?

Am I making any sense, cuz that doesn't seem right to me. I know that right now I am REALLY, actually hungry, and with so few calories, don't know what to do-when should I eat?

It's now 11:15am and all I've had is black coffee, and thinking of boiling an egg. How do I get from now to tomorrow morning (I will be home) without gnawing off my arm??

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
well drink lots of warm tea and coffee i also
love hot broth. And I go up to 500 calories
if i need it Dr. J says its ok to have 500c.

Look for low calorie items. egg beaters and
laughing cow cheese. to name a couple.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
try to keep busy and not think about it alot

you can always eat tomorrow and it does get pretty
easy.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
As you get more DD under your belt, a natural appetite suppression will kick in to help you out. But that does nothing to help you right now, I know.

BTW, your DD calories are very low (to me - I tend to have twice that on DD) especially just getting started. Many of us had to work our way down to lower calories on DD. Some can just jump right in and eat under 500 no problem, but that wasn't me.

Anyway, what I would do if it were me, is allow myself 500 - 600 or 700 calories today, but not use them if I ended up not needing them. Just knowing you have those extra calories is a huge relief and takes away a lot of the panic and anxiety!! If you need them though - use them.

Also, drink plenty of hot liquids today. Black coffee if you like it, tea, broth. Or maybe some cold liquids if it works better for you, like iced tea, water, diet soda.

I need high protein on DD to feel satisfied, and maybe you are this way too, especially if you did well on LC.

One meal that many of us love because it's so filling is the cabbage/protein skillet dish. There is a thread about it. Cabbage, laughing cow cheese and chicken Just adapt it however you like, but it's very filling. You can do the stir-fried cabbage and stir in proteins like egg white, shrimp, chicken, LC cheese, etc.

Here is another thread where we were discussing filling DD foods: Low(ish) Carb DD Staples

Boil some eggs and just eat the egg white. You can eat a lot of egg white protein for few calories. I think one eggwhite is like 15 calories. Have some thin-sliced ham with it (4 slices around 50 calories, depending on brand). Or make an omelet with veggies and melt some Laughing Cow cheese in there.

There are other ideas on that thread to help carry you through.

And yes, the regular JUDDD DD is around 36 hours long.

HTH.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-15-2012 at 09:14 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Well, the same nighttime hours that extend our fasting day to 36 hours can be said to also extend our feasting day to 36 hours.. as the starting and stopping times of meals are 9:00 am and 7:00 pm of each day.

But of importance here is the fasting day, since that's the *Man! The pounds are just melting OFF of me!* day. So while the Up days could be construed as starting after supper at 7:00 in the evening of the last DD meal, and extending through that night, and all of the daytime of the UD, and all throught that night too, until 9:00 am of the following day, we don't worry about that one. Plenty of food. No real thought given to how you might construe the timing to run.

The important focus is on the fasting and how long that runs, so you are correct in figuring it to run from approximately 7:00 pm of your UD, through all of that night, through all of your following DD, and through all of that night until breakfast of the following UD. Approximately 36 hours.

It's a good thing to keep in mind that the food you enjoyed on your UD is still being processed and being used, and fueling you for 12 to 24 hours after you finish eating it! So, technically, your body isn't in *a fast* at all during those hours, until the last nutrients of your UD are finally used up and there has been little to no incoming food to replenish your food/fuel supply. Then the benefit of fasting actually kicks in.

So understanding a bit of how it works, helps us understand why we do this, and gives us a bit more willpower at the beginning, before it gets easy.

Now... try to do the best you can to get through your DDs on 500 calories or fewer. But... if you absolutely can't right at the beginning of doing JUDDD, then consider upping the DD calories to 600 or 700. If that will get you through a DD, rather than you folding and quitting, or folding and indulging far too generously, then do it!

The important thing is for you to be able to get through Down Days. The appetite suppression from following this plan will kick in sooner or later, usually sooner, and then it will be a whole lot easier for you to not just endure DDs, but to truly enjoy them!

AND, it's important for you to find out what foods you can make DD meals out of that are filling and satisfying for yourself. Lots of folks make stuff out of the shirataki ZERO calorie noodles. Lots of bulky veggies to fill your stomach. Protein to sate your appetite some. Find out what foods make this easy for you.

AND, find out whether you do best with breakfast, or whether you're like most of us, and the first time you eat for the day, triggers your appetite and you're hungry from then on! I'd say the majority of us don't eat until at least midday on DDs, and many of us don't eat until suppertime, and then have a nice big fairly normal supper.

Good luck. Do the best you can. You can do this, and it's so very worth it, but it just takes a little getting used to, and sometimes that's like entering the cold water a bit at a time!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
How do I get from now to tomorrow morning (I will be home) without gnawing off my arm??
Please don't gnaw your arm off ... it will put you way over your DD calories!

Sorry couldn't help myself
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I haven't read everything everyone else has said, so apologies if I'm redundant.
First, forget that 342, 500 is fine (at least this is what I've gathered here).
Second, yes, you're going to have to white-knuckle the first few down days. In fact, it took a full 7 weeks of down days for *me* to feel absolutely normal on down days. Coffee and gluccomannan capsules help me with hunger. If I eat anything, I mean anything, one nut, one carrot, one celery stalk in the afternoon, I become ravenous.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Honestly, I try not to overthink it. I weigh in the morning, so my UD and DD start when I wake up and end when I go to sleep. I don't bother with how many hours it is.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Honestly, I try not to overthink it. I weigh in the morning, so my UD and DD start when I wake up and end when I go to sleep. I don't bother with how many hours it is.
One of my bosses years ago always told us, "Simplify, simplify, simplify" and it's still good advice, isn't it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Well, the same nighttime hours that extend our fasting day to 36 hours can be said to also extend our feasting day to 36 hours.. as the starting and stopping times of meals are 9:00 am and 7:00 pm of each day.

But of importance here is the fasting day, since that's the *Man! The pounds are just melting OFF of me!* day. So while the Up days could be construed as starting after supper at 7:00 in the evening of the last DD meal, and extending through that night, and all of the daytime of the UD, and all through that night too, until 9:00 am of the following day, we don't worry about that one. Plenty of food. No real thought given to how you might construe the timing to run.

The important focus is on the fasting and how long that runs, so you are correct in figuring it to run from approximately 7:00 pm of your UD, through all of that night, through all of your following DD, and through all of that night until breakfast of the following UD. Approximately 36 hours.

It's a good thing to keep in mind that the food you enjoyed on your UD is still being processed and being used, and fueling you for 12 to 24 hours after you finish eating it! So, technically, your body isn't in *a fast* at all during those hours, until the last nutrients of your UD are finally used up and there has been little to no incoming food to replenish your food/fuel supply. Then the benefit of fasting actually kicks in.

So understanding a bit of how it works, helps us understand why we do this, and gives us a bit more willpower at the beginning, before it gets easy.

Now... try to do the best you can to get through your DDs on 500 calories or fewer. But... if you absolutely can't right at the beginning of doing JUDDD, then consider upping the DD calories to 600 or 700. If that will get you through a DD, rather than you folding and quitting, or folding and indulging far too generously, then do it!

The important thing is for you to be able to get through Down Days. The appetite suppression from following this plan will kick in sooner or later, usually sooner, and then it will be a whole lot easier for you to not just endure DDs, but to truly enjoy them!

AND, it's important for you to find out what foods you can make DD meals out of that are filling and satisfying for yourself. Lots of folks make stuff out of the shirataki ZERO calorie noodles. Lots of bulky veggies to fill your stomach. Protein to sate your appetite some. Find out what foods make this easy for you.

AND, find out whether you do best with breakfast, or whether you're like most of us, and the first time you eat for the day, triggers your appetite and you're hungry from then on! I'd say the majority of us don't eat until at least midday on DDs, and many of us don't eat until suppertime, and then have a nice big fairly normal supper.

Good luck. Do the best you can. You can do this, and it's so very worth it, but it just takes a little getting used to, and sometimes that's like entering the cold water a bit at a time!
and the things I have in bold are EXACTLY my feelings. JUDDD is flexible enough to let us up those DD calories a little bit to get us into the swing of things. Some think this is a "written in stone" rule, we HAVE to do that 500 or below calories for the first 2 weeks or beyond, but from my experience, and several others, we CAN give ourselves a tad more calories for that DD and STILL lose. It seems to work well to help us to NOT give up before JUDDD even has an opportunity to show us it's magic and I am proof that upping those DD calories a bit may not hurt! I lost 16 pounds by starting at a 700 calorie DD and I pretty much stayed there throughout my weight loss journey and now maintenance!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks all.
Sohappy I agree and understand. And so right about calculating the fasting but not the feasting!
Lori but it looks so good...
Daisey if only I liked eggbeaters. They make me gag unless they are used as just an ingredient in a recipe. Can't eat them on their own
sophie from your mouth to God's ears, and thanks for the links. I have lots of broth-will make my own when I get a chance- gingerale made with sucralose, and some nice tea.
Beeb I won't have a problem going to 500- I did the first day when I decided after bkfst to do it- but would like to see how close I can stay to the lower number. I am a stubborn limey/Yankee
Dottieyou are probably right, but you know how it is when you first start something-you get obsessive. Well, I do...

I wrote on the other thread that I had tried the cabbage dish, just simple with some herbs and the lcow garlic and herb. Tasty. I am having tilapia en papillote for dinner-French for steamed in a paper packet with some veg. Doesn't it sound better in French?

It seems so funny to be looking at cals after all these years...

Last edited by Scotty; 01-15-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
ITA: This is exactly what I do!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
Quote:
Oh, thank goodness!! I have not read the book and I don't remember seeing anything about how long an eating window or fasting window should be. I've just been doing THIS (above) and when I saw the thread, I panicked!! "You mean to tell me I have got to WHAT? WHEN? Oh no!! I'm messing it all up!"
*Sigh of relief* until I read this...

Ok, heart rate has returned to normal.
MLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
How do I get from now to tomorrow morning (I will be home) without gnawing off my arm??
You don't have to make it until tomorrow morning...just until bedtime. You're not likely to be hungry while sleeping. Just make it to bed. Some of us have been known to turn in early when trying to white-knuckle it through a particularly harsh DD, just to be done with it.

I agree with starting at 500 calories for the first two weeks, though. 500 will work, so why torture yourself unnecessarily? You can play with lowered DDs after the first two weeks are done if you feel ready.

DDs get so much easier. Honest.
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
If you were dividing your days up by 12 midnight (or whenever you wanted), you could end your DD right after that and start UD eating if you wanted during the night (instead of waiting til you woke up the next day), but on regular JUDDD I think most try to wait until morning the next day to start their UD eating.

It's just that if you do wait until the next morning, you are usually somewhere around 36 hours for the DD, so that's where that number comes from. No panic
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
I'm new to JUDDD but not to eating a 500 cal day. My recommendation is to eat while you are awake -- no need to stop at 7pm. On DDs eat all day long if you like. Just try not to go over 500 cal, but don't sweat it if you do in the beginning. Here's a list of what you can eat in one day:

Whey protein shake 70 - 100 cal
Cabbage/chicken/laughing cow cheese "thingy" 150 cal
Carbmaster yogurt 60 cal
4 cups salad greens with fat free dressing 50 cal
3 oz shrimp or ff cottage cheese added to above salad 80 cal
Celery sticks with seasoned salt or a tad of ff ranch dressing (my favourite) 10 - 20 cal
Bouillon 5 cal per cup
Sf spiced tea 5 cal per cup
And I'm not even up to 500 calories yet.

I'm not much of a salad eater, but I found when I was on the HCG diet that a salad really filled me up and I got so tired of chewing I didn't always eat all of it. Also, hot drinks fill me up more than cold ones, so I drank spiced tea or bouillon once or twice a day. I also think others have said the day is easier if they delay eating as long as possible. I don't have that luxury since I'm diabetic, but it sounds like a good trick.

Last edited by belfrybat; 01-15-2012 at 03:21 PM..
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, all. And thanks belfrybat for the ideas.

Yeah, no reason to "count" whilst asleep, although I actually don't sleep much...

I am done for the day. Had a really delicious tilapia with fennel and onions and I feel full. DD and fam came over and had pizza. I had one chip, a tiny-and I mean tiny-bit of sausage and a tiny bit of cheese.

Cals- by my estimate which I tend to make high 398
Whatevah shall I eat tomorrow?

Last edited by Scotty; 01-15-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
My first DD went by SO fast and easily. I also waited until diner to eat something. I'm sure any snacks throughout the day will turn into a snack fest. Another DD for me. This time the challenge will be not to get bored!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote