Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Where are you all getting your shirataki noodles? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753610-where-you-all-getting-your-shirataki-noodles.html)

DeeLen 01-14-2012 09:20 PM

Where are you all getting your shirataki noodles?

I've looked at several grocery stores and I'm not finding them.

SoHappy 01-14-2012 09:39 PM

Is your town (or one nearby) large enough to have an Asian grocery? I find the best supply of shirataki noodles and yam cake there. Our regional Hy Vee grocery stores carry them in many of their stores, but I think that is only because a customer has requested they stock them.

If you can't find them in any local grocery or Asian market, I expect you'll have to order from an online source. Konjac is one, and I'm sure there are many others. I'm not sure if Netrition carries them or not. I would think so, but just not sure.

Edited: Was going to add that be sure you ask your local grocery store if they can order them for you! Often they can.

Bonnie 01-14-2012 09:48 PM

My local health food store carries them. If you have one of those you might check there.

Jenn1225 01-15-2012 12:43 AM

An Asian market will sell them, more affordable too. Also if you have a Hy-vee around they are sold in the health market.

Dottie 01-15-2012 04:22 AM

Netrition. No one carries them locally here and Netritions flat rate shipping makes it pretty cheap compared to other online stores that carry them.

JKat 01-15-2012 04:39 AM

I find mine at whole foods near the tofu.

Lori-s 01-15-2012 07:23 AM

I know you have Albertson's in MD. If you have one close by they are in the section where the tofu is kept. My store here in California keeps them in the produce with tofu and organic produce.

belfrybat 01-15-2012 07:24 AM

I can find the tofu shiritake noodles at Sprouts or Whole Foods, but the Miracle noodles I order from either Amazon or Netrition.

KeirasMom 01-15-2012 07:55 AM

If you end up going to an asian market, some are called shirataki noodles, some are called konyakku (with several different spellings), and at least in mine, they come in all sorts of shapes, colors, sizes, etc. from dumplings, to patties, to noodles.

I also find them in most of the grocery stores here in the produce section by the vegetarian products and bagged salads.

avecrain 01-15-2012 07:56 AM

I live just outside of DC in Maryland and we have tons of big asian grocery stores and haven't found them yet here. Have thought maybe we just don't have em here.

KeirasMom 01-15-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avecrain (Post 15329492)
I live just outside of DC in Maryland and we have tons of big asian grocery stores and haven't found them yet here. Have thought maybe we just don't have em here.

That's odd. Are you looking with all the other noodles, or in the refrigerated section. In mine, they are in the refrigerated section. I hope you can find them locally without having to order them. They're a DD lifesaver for me!

adillenal 01-15-2012 08:09 AM

I would have to order them but are they basically used for a filler to make you feel full? I read about them and it looks like people either like, love or hate them.

KeirasMom 01-15-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 15329524)
I would have to order them but are they basically used for a filler to make you feel full? I read about them and it looks like people either like, love or hate them.

Pretty much, but IMO they are a yummy filler. Very little taste on their own, pretty much like most pastas, so they're a great vessel for the flavors of your broth and veggies, or sauces, or LC cheese, etc.

SillverOrchid 01-15-2012 08:37 AM

I get mine at my local Weis Market in the produce section they have a whole tofu section.

Knittering 01-15-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

I read about them and it looks like people either like, love or hate them.
:laugh: That's true of everything, isn't it?

I don't like them as a substitute for noodles, in a fake alfredo sauce or whatever, but I enjoy them in Asian dishes. I make a sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic-chili sauce and fresh cilantro that's very tasty with them.

Lori37 01-15-2012 09:54 AM

I've been able to find them at any grocery store. Sorry they are hard to find in your area! Make sure you are looking in the tofu section.

avecrain 01-15-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15329512)
That's odd. Are you looking with all the other noodles, or in the refrigerated section. In mine, they are in the refrigerated section. I hope you can find them locally without having to order them. They're a DD lifesaver for me!

Isn't it weird? I ordered one package from netrition because I was interested and couldn't find them. I'm pretty positive they are not at the big Asian grocer we go to usually--I've scoured it! I haven't looked closely at other stores, but check the likely aisles when I'm someplace new and I think of it. It's really interesting that they are so common where most of you live! I had no idea! I've been doing DD liquid fasts, so I'm not desperate for them or anything, but it would be nice to know where to get them if I wanted them. I liked the ones I had! They made a very filling addition to a stir fry!

Dottie 01-15-2012 11:15 AM

Check the recipe thread for the Hungry Girl-fredo -it's really good:)
One way I like them is to simmer/saute some celery and onion in a little broth, then add a pouch of tuna and a little almond milk to make it creamy, then the noodles and heat through. Tastes like tuna casserole:)

mayleesa 01-15-2012 11:58 AM

shoppers food warehouse...im in baltimore and its in the vegetable section

SillverOrchid 01-15-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15330037)
Check the recipe thread for the Hungry Girl-fredo -it's really good:)
One way I like them is to simmer/saute some celery and onion in a little broth, then add a pouch of tuna and a little almond milk to make it creamy, then the noodles and heat through. Tastes like tuna casserole:)

Cool! I was wondering what else to use my almond milk for besides hot tea!

alibaba 01-15-2012 12:48 PM

Not sure how close to D.C. you are - but on the VA side, we have Super H Mart (asian grocery) on every corner it seems. They have several kinds, and they're super cheap.

handbells 01-16-2012 09:39 PM

I have found mine at Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter

DeeLen 01-17-2012 12:08 PM

OKay, thanks all!

We have Harris Teeter, Shoppers and Trader Joes. I'll be looking there.

2BoysMom 01-17-2012 09:11 PM

I ordered some from Netrition, but I also found them in my local grocery store with the tofu.