Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   So, the first few DD were a bit tough, but... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753479-so-first-few-dd-were-bit-tough-but.html)

2BoysMom 01-13-2012 10:08 PM

So, the first few DD were a bit tough, but...

wow, when the natural appetite suppression kicks in (which I admit I was doubtful about), it is unbelievable.

I really don't know how all this works, and why I am not hungry, but what the heck I don't need to know HOW I just need to know that it DOES.

Really, honestly, if you are thinking about this - go for it, once you get in the swing of things, it is truly amazing.

Just sayin'...

:sing::sing::sing:

gotsomeold 01-14-2012 04:12 AM

Oh BRAVO! :jumpjoy:

For many/most of us appetite suppression is one of the best signs that we are keeping our DD calories low enough to really establish that old JUDDD magic!

This, of course assumes we are feeling good and have lots of energy on each DD - if anyone is feeling draggy or dizzy, reassess your DD calories, the food you are eating on DD, or ask questions here.

Now :hyst: for the next challenge: figure out how to overcome appetite suppression and eat to your UD calories.

Of course, many of us do not find this to be all that hard. :up:

itsmeshelly01 01-14-2012 04:35 AM

I wish i had that problem nancy!!! I am fine for a couple hours after i get up but once i actually start eating, it is on!!!! This is why MD's are really hard for me. They are harder DD's! I am loving the appetite suppression on DD's too. This woe is truly amazing!

mayleesa 01-14-2012 04:50 AM

i know what you mean...my last 3 DD's i've barely eaten anything...245/182/312 and sooo not hungry....waking up this morning i was feeling SO empty and thin....the scale didn't think so but who cares...i feel great!! it is WEIRD tho to be at work all day and when it seemed like all i could do to get to lunch now i don't even realize lunch has come and gone and i hadn't got relief yet normally i'm watchin that clock...this week not at all....i like not thinking about food, now my UD's are a different story, i feel consumed with the need to eat eat eat eat....i'm doing ok right now keeping that monster under wraps but dang....KUTGW

NoelleSilvia 01-14-2012 05:04 AM

It's my first DD and I was scared that it would be hard, because the days where I have nowhere to go/nothing to do are the hardest (I'm a boredom eater). But it's actually quite easy! I feel in control somehow. I hope all my DDs will be this easy!

I think my UDs will harder, because I am having a hard time eating enough. Damn you, metabolism!!

Skinjob 01-14-2012 05:32 AM

Lucky you! I've been JUDDDing since November and I STILL struggle on DDs. Always starving. But hey, it's working!

gotsomeold 01-14-2012 05:54 AM

Shelly, this just comes from my experience and may not apply to you.

I find each time I introduce a new food I need to watch how my bod/mind react to it for several hours after eating. If I find myself hungry when I should not be, or if I find myself thinking of food when I am busy and should be thinking about what I am doing then I make a note that is a trigger food for me. I remove it from my menu and try reintroducing it in a month or so.

I'm really getting good at recognizing the difference between really-need-to-eat hunger and body-response-triggered-hunger.

sophiethecat 01-14-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15326521)
wow, when the natural appetite suppression kicks in (which I admit I was doubtful about), it is unbelievable.

I really don't know how all this works, and why I am not hungry, but what the heck I don't need to know HOW I just need to know that it DOES.

Really, honestly, if you are thinking about this - go for it, once you get in the swing of things, it is truly amazing.

Just sayin'...

:jumpjoy: :jumpjoy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinjob (Post 15326739)
Lucky you! I've been JUDDDing since November and I STILL struggle on DDs. Always starving. But hey, it's working!

I am another one who struggled on DDs for a long time. I finally had to shoot for 500 but allow myself up to 700 or so and just knowing I had those extra calories if I needed them helped me a lot. On maintenance, I'm doing a variation on JUDDD where I don't do the long DD like regular JUDDDsters but once per week I do a real 36 hour DD. I have only in the last month or so realized how much protein I need on DD to feel full and stay full for hours.

The protein, for me, makes a huge difference. Yesterday's DD I fried a whole bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrot) with onion, garlic, mushroom, and some shrimp, then stirred in 2 egg whites, soy sauce and other seasoning, and finished with melting in a wedge of LC. OMG, I could only eat half the skillet (the cabbage cooks wayy down) and was really full for 5 hours. It did not even feel like being on a DD.

SoHappy 01-14-2012 07:48 AM

Yup, I just posted over in the daily menu thread that this is an UD for me, and I want my GRITS and eggs, and my appetite won't wake up! :annoyed:

I think this natural appetite regulation is the way we're supposed to work and is a state we are returned to eventually by JUDDD.

In some folks, it seems to happen fairly soon, and in others it may take a bit longer to take effect. I suspect it happens faster and more perfectly when folks are following JUDDD and staying on plan long enough for it to kick in. We occasionally have someone do this for a couple of weeks and not get the results they were after by then, but leave rather than work various adjustments to this plan, and I always wonder if it wouldn't have been a great gift to them too, had they stuck it out and sought help with some tweaks to make JUDDD works its magic for them too.

And I agree with you, Shelly, about the MDs being the hardest ones. When I use one, I make sure I don't eat until midday or just after, with a simple brunch then, but not a big one, and then that leaves me a few calories for a late afternoon *tea* if I want a little something.. plenty of calories left for a real nice supper, and enough leftover calories for an evening snack. That's the easiest way for me to handle the MDs.

Lori37 01-14-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Just sayin'...

Are you doing this Low carb style? Just curious.

Beeb 01-14-2012 08:48 AM

:jumpjoy: for the "appetite suppressive kick" :kicking: It IS a great feeling, isn't it, to see the day going by and you STILL aren't hungry. Some days I go for hours and then still after I've eaten something I could go hours more, some days I start to eat and just want to continue, but those days are so few now I just chalk them up to hormone crazies and stand tough.

I have also found that my appetite on my UDs is really good, and I can eat all day and now that I do FDs (don't count calories on UDs) I tend to be concerned I'm eating too much. But the funny thing is when I have logged my calories in at the end an UD recently just to see if I was really overeating I was actually 300+ calories BELOW my UD calories and had to eat a bit more! :doh::yummy:

JUDDD is the ONLY WOE that showed me how to eat to hunger and when to KNOW I've had enough AND gave me that appetite suppression everyone talked about and I only could dream about! :notwrthy::jumpjoy:

SoHappy 01-14-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori37 (Post 15327278)

I hope she'll pop back into this thread and answer. But I don't think she is doing low carb. I could be wrong, but I thought she was including more carbs in her diet these days on JUDDD.

Low carb isn't the only pathway to appetite suppression though. One of the things that is our gift from the JUDDD fasting periods is a great normalizing of our appetites.

I think that's what folks on the outside looking in don't realize.. that once they've adapted to JUDDD, on low calorie DDs, they won't suffer after all. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15327301)
..........It IS a great feeling, isn't it, to see the day going by and you STILL aren't hungry.

..........JUDDD is the ONLY WOE that showed me how to eat to hunger and when to KNOW I've had enough AND gave me that appetite suppression everyone talked about and I only could dream about!

I like my appetite moderated to a lovely *normal* level again too, and I really appreciate this gift from the JUDDD fast, except that I'm doing an UD today.. and I have those grits.. and I'm not hungry at all yet. It's 11:30 in the morning, so maybe I'll eat grits and eggs for lunch. :annoyed: Darned appetite suppression! :annoyed: :laugh:

pjsam1156 01-14-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Just sayin'...

:goodpost:

2BoysMom 01-14-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori37 (Post 15327278)

No - not really (at least not on purpose). I mean yesterday (DD) I had a Light English muffin and fried egg for "brunch".

Then I also had a packet of Fruit Newton crisps after dinner last night (Egg white omelette with imitation crab and Light Laughing Cow garlic and herb cheese).

My total calories for yesterday were 463 with 60 grams of carbs, and 8 of fiber with 31 grams of protein.

The DD before that my cals were 431 carbs were 54 with 16 grams of fiber and 23 of protein, and the one before that cals were 635 carbs were 35 with 1 gram of fiber and 84 of protein.

Now, I do find, generally speaking that it is easier when I eat plenty of protein - and some fiber as well on DDs. But I don't "plan" for low carb.

What I really like best is that really - whether it is an UD or a DD, I can eat whatever I want, nothing is forbidden, I just have to stay within those calorie ranges and life is good.