Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jentri
Start Date: 1/01/2011
Just a few Questions...

Hi guys!

I've been LCing for a year straight now, and am (of course) having trouble reaching my "goal" weight. It was suggested I check out the JUDDD boards....so here I am!

I have went to the JUDDD website, and then read through some post here, and have just a few questions. Any help would be appreciated.

JUDDD website says on Up Days, eat whatever you like, until you feel full, not overeating of course. Then, on here, I see that most of you count calories on Up Days.....why is that?

Also, LC and JUDDD. I also see a lot of you combine elements of both. Does that mean on your Up Days you eat LC?

Finally, if I eat 'till I'm full on Up Days, but caloric intake is still low, does that affect loss. Meaning, do I use my body's hunger signals as a measure of how much I should eat on Up Days, or my suggested daily caloric intake?

Thanks for any help....I am going to continue reading and educating myself about JUDDD....I am ready to lose these last 10 lbs!
Jentri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentri View Post
Hi guys!

I've been LCing for a year straight now, and am (of course) having trouble reaching my "goal" weight. It was suggested I check out the JUDDD boards....so here I am!

I have went to the JUDDD website, and then read through some post here, and have just a few questions. Any help would be appreciated.

JUDDD website says on Up Days, eat whatever you like, until you feel full, not overeating of course. Then, on here, I see that most of you count calories on Up Days.....why is that?

Also, LC and JUDDD. I also see a lot of you combine elements of both. Does that mean on your Up Days you eat LC?

Finally, if I eat 'till I'm full on Up Days, but caloric intake is still low, does that affect loss. Meaning, do I use my body's hunger signals as a measure of how much I should eat on Up Days, or my suggested daily caloric intake?

Thanks for any help....I am going to continue reading and educating myself about JUDDD....I am ready to lose these last 10 lbs!
Jentri!
I can answer the question I bolded. My numbers are 1700 UD/500 DD. I lost 4 lbs. in the first week of JUDDD w/o counting my UD cals. But, then I only maintained the next 3 weeks--I wasn't losing. So, I asked some of the "vets" on here about my problem and they suggested that I was probably eating WAY over on my UD days and didn't realize it.
They were right. As soon as I started keeping track of my UD cals to make sure I didn't go over 1700, I started losing steadily again.
I'm sure there will be other JUDDDers chiming in and giving you other advice soon. These are the greatest bunch of people anywhere on the internet!
Good Luck!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks PJ....

And your UD calories are just figured on a basic calorie calculator (input height/weight/age/activity level)?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Hi guys!

Hi Jentri! to JUDDD. Good to see you here!

I counted on UDs until I got to maintenance. There was a week or two during Weight Loss Mode (WLM) when I stopped counting UDs and gained back 4 pounds that I'd lost, so I immediately started counting again and continued to do so until maintenance.

When we first come to JUDDD, many of us have metabolisms that aren't working optimally, but for me, my time on JUDDD's WLM healed it or gave it a boost. Because during maintenance, I am now able to have what we call FDs (free days) where I don't count calories. I know most FDs I am going hundreds and hundreds of calories over what I allowed on WLM, and yet I no longer gain from it (and in fact, lose some). So what I'm saying is, even though it's a pain to count calories on UDs, for me it gave my body time to adapt and lose weight, and then boosted my metabolism to where I can eat and eat on FDs with no concern for calories and not gain.

You can eat how you want to on JUDDD. You can stay LC all the time, but many of us enjoy increasing carbs on UDs.

We try to eat up to our UD calorie limit or as close to it as we can. It seems to be important for healing our body's metabolism and giving us the great weight loss we want. If you continuously eat lower calories than your UD numbers, this will be no different than a "starvation" diet or what your body perceives as one - a diet of low calories day after day. That is not what JUDDD is.

Welcome again!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thanks PJ....

And your UD calories are just figured on a basic calorie calculator (input height/weight/age/activity level)?
yes--I went to a few different weight loss calculators on the net and they are based on those exact things.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again, ladies, for all the input. I am excited to start, but I have to say....it seems sooooo weird to me to eat carbs. I think I'm almost afraid....anyone else have to retrain their brain?

My UD calories should be 1700-1900 based on two different calculators I found. I've NEVER counted calories, so that is going to be quite different for me too....I know I can do this though.

One final thought/question: Mealtimes w/ family. My hubby and DS10 obviously will not be joining me in my endeavor, and I don't want to "weird" them out on DD. Do you sit down w/ your family and just eat something within your 500 calorie range?

Thanks again, ladies. I really appreciate all the wisdom
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
Quote:
Thanks again, ladies, for all the input. I am excited to start, but I have to say....it seems sooooo weird to me to eat carbs. I think I'm almost afraid....anyone else have to retrain their brain?

My UD calories should be 1700-1900 based on two different calculators I found. I've NEVER counted calories, so that is going to be quite different for me too....I know I can do this though.

One final thought/question: Mealtimes w/ family. My hubby and DS10 obviously will not be joining me in my endeavor, and I don't want to "weird" them out on DD. Do you sit down w/ your family and just eat something within your 500 calorie range?

Yes I am retraining my brain.. this is my first week off LC, I felt so guilty the first day or so lol but got over that quick! I still can't believe I am eating the things Im eating and seeing the scale move.. and I try to plan menus that allow me to sit with DH and DD, I just skip the starch I make for him.. like the other night I made shrimp with steamed broccoli and wild rice.. and it was a DD for me so I just ate the shrimp and steamed broccoli. It was filling and yummy.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

If it's a DD, I make dinner for my fam, saving the leftovers for myself for the next day, and I eat a lean cuisine w/in my cal range or a salad or something. Sometimes, (as I did before starting JUDDD), I don't make anything for dinner on DDs and have my fam eat soup and/or sandwiches. I keep turkey and sub buns and fixin's around a lot more now.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
I always eat with DH. Usually I heat up leftovers from the day before for him and I just have something simple that works for me. For example, lettuce salad, shrimp (this would be for both of us)...I would have my shrimp with low carb catsup and horseradish, and a HN fat free frank and half of a Flatout bread for a sandwich.
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:

Yes, pretty much every one of us had to retrain our brain, but our brains our remarkably adaptable, and catch on very quickly! I think they even like the challenge, lol.

Yes, you will catch on to calorie counting just as easily as you did carb counting. Soon, it will be a breeze. This was one of the things I thought would be overwhelming when I started JUDDD, but it soon becomes easy, easy.

In my maintenance, I have been able to stop counting UDs and have FDs, and still maintain (with what I think of as a JUDDD-healed metabolism) eating hundreds and hundreds of calories more than I did in WLM.

And on DD mealtimes, I would do one of several different things - either fix a regular meal and just have small small portions of the high calorie stuff they were having, or fix a regular meal for them and have my own DD foods. Or it would be a "fend for yourself" night for everyone, and they could make frozen pizzas, hot wings, sandwiches, quick dishes and foods like that.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Jentri!

I'm in Fresno, so we're practically neighbors.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is using a calorie counting app or website. I personally like ************, but there are others like ***********, etc. Most of us use them and it makes life so much easier. *** even has an app where you can use your phone to scan the barcode of whatever you're using and it will input all the nutritional information for you.

Also, I took a weekend off between LC and JUDDD and ate whatever I wanted. This resulted in a gain, but that was mainly the water that you lose on LC re-entering my liver and muscles. Then I weighed the first day and used that as my starting weight. I'm not suggesting this for you, but it really helped me not to stress out about the water weight with all the carbs. You may want to stay LC or not. That's the beauty of JUDDD. You can choose to eat whatever you want as long as you respect your calorie ceilings.

I was scared to death of DDs but have no problem with them now. As a matter of fact, my very first DD I was under 400 calories, so it's much easier than it seems (or it can be, some do struggle).

Anyway, keep on reading the threads, and asking whatever questions you have. Everyone here is very supportive!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Yes, Dawn, we are neighbors!

I do occasionally use ***********'s calorie counter....but will check out ************....the UPC scanning option sounds awesome.

Another question..(sorry). Do I start on an UD or DD, does it matter? Of course UD sounds like more fun after LCing for a year
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
One thing to be aware of too is this:

People always latch onto a phrase Dr. Johnson uses and misconstrue it. He says on UDs we can eat anything we want!!! That's so exciting. What a concept. And every word of it is true. BUT, his words were carefully chosen, because note that he didn't say we could eat AS MUCH AS WE WANT. He said anything. Not as much as we want. Big difference. LOL

He goes on in his explanations and keeps referring to our normal calories. Our *normal* calories. On our Up Days, we eat our normal calories, and our Down Day calorie figure is a percentage of our normal calories.

And what number does that *normal* number turn out to be? The figure we are given when we use his Calorie Calculator. So we are told on UDs to eat anything we want, and to eat our normal calories.

Does that explain and clarify?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I use ************ and it is great - I really, really dig the scanning option - it makes my life SO easy!!
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #16

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by K eirasMom View Post
*** even has an app where you can use your phone to scan the barcode of whatever you're using and it will input all the nutritional information for you.
Love the barcode scanner!!

Jentri!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
One thing to be aware of too is this:

People always latch onto a phrase Dr. Johnson uses and misconstrue it. He says on UDs we can eat anything we want!!! That's so exciting. What a concept. And every word of it is true. BUT, his words were carefully chosen, because note that he didn't say we could eat AS MUCH AS WE WANT. He said anything. Not as much as we want. Big difference. LOL

He goes on in his explanations and keeps referring to our normal calories. Our *normal* calories. On our Up Days, we eat our normal calories, and our Down Day calorie figure is a percentage of our normal calories.

And what number does that *normal* number turn out to be? The figure we are given when we use his Calorie Calculator. So we are told on UDs to eat anything we want, and to eat our normal calories.

Does that explain and clarify?
Oh, and I wanted to add that it doesn't take very long before the calorie numbers for both your UD and your DD feel not only adequate but very adequate. Somehow your hungers become satisfied.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
I will also have to retrain my brain. Plus I've always found it very hard to eat more than 1,200 calories. Yesterday I had about 1,600 and I should have 2,200. Not sure how I'm going to do that but I'll manage. Maybe weight loss will show with 1,800/500 great thread btw, good questions and even better answers!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote