Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   S/O Fancy grilled cheese sandwiches! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753405-s-o-fancy-grilled-cheese-sandwiches.html)

Knittering 01-13-2012 07:38 AM

S/O Fancy grilled cheese sandwiches!
 
We started talking about fancy variants of grilled cheese sandwiches in another thread but I think such an important topic needs its own home!

My favorite is real sourdough bread from the bakery, pepper-jack cheese, bacon, and stone-ground mustard. Soooo good you guys! :yummy:

I also like them with the same sourdough bread, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, and then tomatoes slices slipped inside after the cheese is all goey. Heaven!

Dottie 01-13-2012 07:47 AM

A cibatta roll with meunster, a little pesto and sliced tomato all toasty and melty!

Pami 01-13-2012 07:52 AM

Mmmmm I made some low-er carb apricot habanero jam this summer from habs we
grew in our garden- and I couldn't stop putting it on EVERYTHING! Anyway, one of
the best was a grilled cheese, jam spread on one slice of bread, then sharp cheddar
on some sort of LC bread, I can't remember now. Maybe just whole grain w/ flax?

sophiethecat 01-13-2012 07:57 AM

Mmm.. Will definitely check this post again when it's not a DD :) Keep 'em coming. Wasn't there a seafood grilled cheese sandwich mentioned?

SoHappy 01-13-2012 08:52 AM

For me, all kinds of cheeses and breads are wonderful, but all of the sandwiches have to be heavily buttered on the outsides of the bread slices and fried/browned until richly golden brown in a skillet!!! And I have to have ketchup with all of them.

I'm not as keen on having other stuff put into the sandwich besides the cheese itself, but I do occasionally add ham that I slice off of a good meaty shank. So the basic grilled ham and cheese.

Knittering 01-13-2012 09:00 AM

Apricot habanero jam -- wow, that sounds soooo good. I love spicy peach chutney and spicy mango jam or chutney so this would be right up my alley. :) Paired with sharp cheddar sounds perfect.

Cibatta with meunster sounds amazing too! I wouldn't have thought of that.

Beeb 01-13-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15324291)
For me, all kinds of cheeses and breads are wonderful, but all of the sandwiches have to be heavily buttered on the outsides of the bread slices and fried/browned until richly golden brown in a skillet!!! And I have to have ketchup with all of them.

I'm not as keen on having other stuff put into the sandwich besides the cheese itself, but I do occasionally add ham that I slice off of a good meaty shank. So the basic grilled ham and cheese.

I do the same thing and you had me :yummy: until I got to the ketchup part! :eek: I don't like any condiments with my grilled cheese, just make sure that it's real toasty/greasy on the outside and really melty on the inside! :up::clap:

SoHappy 01-13-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15324344)
I do the same thing and you had me :yummy: until I got to the ketchup part! :eek: I don't like any condiments with my grilled cheese, just make sure that it's real toasty/greasy on the outside and really melty on the inside! :up::clap:

LOL I think the ketchup part might be an old fashioned hold-over from my childhood and my daddy.

But I am anxious to try it with some preserves of some sort.

rubidoux 01-13-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15324095)
Mmm.. Will definitely check this post again when it's not a DD :) Keep 'em coming. Wasn't there a seafood grilled cheese sandwich mentioned?

Omgosh! Yes, this is up day reading for sure! lol But I am gonna keep that bacon in mind for tomorrow, when I'll be eating. :yummy:

And Pat, I like ketchup on the good old fashioned white bread and american cheese version. When I was 15 I worked at a Friendlys and that was a staple. And the butter and how it's cooked -- ummmmm, that crispy brown! -- are important to me, too.

Dottie 01-13-2012 10:00 AM

If you've never made one, very thinly sliced apple tossed with some cinnamon and sharp cheddar make an excellent grilled cheese:)
So does pickled onions and gouda :)

Knittering 01-13-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

If you've never made one, very thinly sliced apple tossed with some cinnamon and sharp cheddar make an excellent grilled cheese
Tomorrow!! Oh, yum!

2BoysMom 01-13-2012 11:34 AM

What the heck am I doing in this thread??? It's a DD for me, and grilled cheese is just about my favorite food in the world.

(Tomorrow....I'll read it all tomorrow...)

gotsomeold 01-13-2012 11:54 AM

Bread buttered and toasted on both sides! Crispy crunch is the perfect counterpoint to oozy, warm cheese. Mustard, oh choosing the perfect mustard is half the fun!

Apricot - Habanero jam .... I think I'm channeling my next UD.

Ketchup ... not so much.

Dottie 01-13-2012 12:03 PM

Marianne just for future reference: the borden fat free american singles melt very nicely :) and taste like regular cheese! (30 calories)

Pami 01-13-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15324551)
If you've never made one, very thinly sliced apple tossed with some cinnamon and sharp cheddar make an excellent grilled cheese:)

OMG, apple anything with sharp cheddar gets my attention :agree:

My mom used to make an apple pizza on rich pastry dough, with very thinly
sliced red apples (skin-on) and some type of streusel topping, heavy on the
cinnamon. The whole thing was covered with sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar.
I need to get that recipe from her...

SoHappy 01-13-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 15325089)
OMG, apple anything with sharp cheddar gets my attention :agree:

My mom used to make an apple pizza on rich pastry dough, with very thinly
sliced red apples (skin-on) and some type of streusel topping, heavy on the
cinnamon. The whole thing was covered with sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar.
I need to get that recipe from her...


And POST it!!!!! :eek: :faint:

That sounds wonderful! :clap:

Dottie 01-13-2012 12:48 PM

Pami that sounds really good!

Knittering 01-13-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

And POST it!!!!!
Yes, please do!!

Pami 01-13-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15325106)
And POST it!!!!! :eek: :faint:

That sounds wonderful! :clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15325144)
Pami that sounds really good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15325266)
Yes, please do!!

I just emailed the maternal parental unit- we'll see what comes back! :yummy:

Scotty 01-13-2012 05:28 PM

Try slathering the outside of the bread with mayo to fry in instead of butter. YUM

gotsomeold 01-13-2012 05:38 PM

Oh Goddess, that sounds wicked!

Tyl 01-13-2012 05:39 PM

wow! i think i love this thread. i don't really eat fancy grilled cheese but boy oh boy is my mouth watering! yummo!

rubidoux 01-13-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15324551)
If you've never made one, very thinly sliced apple tossed with some cinnamon and sharp cheddar make an excellent grilled cheese:)

Oooooh, I need to try this! I love it when the line between dinner and dessert is blurred!

Tyl 01-13-2012 06:42 PM

i watched chopped a few weeks ago and they had a dessert grilled cheese...it was a lunch lady episode and boy did it look amazing!

Alcestis 01-13-2012 07:10 PM

My mouth is actually watering now! I can't wait for tomorrow when I can have grilled cheese, seafood, bacon...mmmmmmmmmmm!

kris4chloe 01-13-2012 09:41 PM

mmmmmm.... one of my very first UD meals was my favorite grilled cheese

sourdough bread, with mozarella and tomatoe slices and pesto.

yum :yummy:

MintQ8 01-13-2012 10:14 PM

you all make way more interesting grilled cheese sandwhiches than I do.

Firstly - they're nearly always open (so not truly a sandwich) and DH thinks I have committed sacrilege if I add anything to it - other than salt and pepper.

You have all got me thinking...

gotsomeold 01-14-2012 04:03 AM

Just a normal meal-discussion thread on a weight-reduction forum. Any not JUDDD BUDDD reading this will have the same predictable reaction.
:shock: :stars: :shock: :stars: :shock:

I ADORE Chopped! That lunch ladies episode almost had me in tears.

Tyl 01-14-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15326622)
Just a normal meal-discussion thread on a weight-reduction forum. Any not JUDDD BUDDD reading this will have the same predictable reaction.
:shock: :stars: :shock: :stars: :shock:

I ADORE Chopped! That lunch ladies episode almost had me in tears.

i thought it was a great episode too!

itsmeshelly01 01-14-2012 04:26 AM

Im loving this thread!!! Im having a grilled cheese today for lunch and my is watering now with all of these suggestions. I was just gonna do sara lee 45 calorie wheat bread with bordens southwest pepperjack cheese and of course fried on the skillet with butter!!! But now you gusy have me thinking but hey i can make one of these great grilled cheeses on any UD!!! We got it like that.
Im intrigued with that frying the bread with mayo instead of butter. I may have to try that. I do love miracle whip!!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 AM.