Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Ok, I'm intrigued

Spent several hours reading here last night, and I think I'm going to give this a shot for a couple weeks at least.

A little about me. I'm Tina, 46, mom to 4, wife to 1 (for 21 years). I homeschool my kids (thus the userid). The oldest is 18 and graduated, just finished his first semester of college, then I've got 16yo boy, 14 yo girl and 5 yo girl. We live on a farm where we raise grass-fed beef, Red Angus breeding stock, and chickens for our own consumption (meat and eggs).

I'm actually pretty close to goal weight, but stuck trying to get rid of those last 2-4 pounds. I pretty much follow a paleo/primal woe, even though when I started it, I'd never heard of either. I read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and decided I needed to get grains, sugar and starchy veggies out of my diet (had issues with gestational diabetes with my last baby and that can set you up for type 2 later on). I am/was a serious carb addict. In Aug, I started seeing a naturopath for some other health issues and was diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion. Part of my treatment plan includes strict blood sugar management, so the primal woe really helps me with that.

Anyway, I'm 132 right now (5'4"), and would like to be 130 (actually, I'd like my range to fluctuate 128-132, so I need to lose to 128 to make that happen). I started out a tight size 10, and am now a comfortable 8, with a few 6's every now and then.

I think I typically take in about 1200-1400 calories a day, and while I lost easily at first, the last 5 pounds have been hard fought for. I came up with 1543/430 on the calculator. It was weird eating more at breakfast this morning. But I also realized it doesn't take a lot of food to get those 300 or so extra calories to get me from where I was to what I need for an UD.

I need to fast for some blood work next Wed, so I'm making this an UD, so I can have that one a DD. I think I'll do ok with the DD, because I've already got my cravings and hunger in control with eating paleo for so long.

I know there are lc'ers here, but wondering if anyone else is following primal/paleo specifically, with JUDDD?

Any tips or hints you have to share to get me off on the right foot would be appreciated. Thanks and look forward to getting to know you.

Tina (need to still work on a signature)
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I do not eat primal/paleo, just general lowcarb, so I can't really give any advice,
but I wanted to say and best of luck to you!
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Tina, good to have a new Juddd Bud! to JUDDD!

I don't do paleo/primal either, but I think there are a couple who do. Maybe they will see your post, or you could start a new thread with "Paleo/Primal JUDDD?" in the title, something like that.

Good luck with this and let us know how you're doing.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oneoftwo
Stats: 146/120/120 (maintain 118-120max) 5'3.5"
WOE: Atkins/HCG one round to goal/JUDDD to maintain
I would try 500 for DD to start, no need to go lower especially at first. Good Luck, I am sure you will love JUDDD!
oneoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #6

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Welcome, welcome, welcome! It sounds like you are off to a good start already!

The absolutely best education for you, well.. for anyone interested in how to do JUDDD, is simply to read about it.

You can get all the basics at the JUDDD website.. there is little in the book that isn't covered there already. But for the real nitty-gritty on doing JUDDD, this forum surpasses it all, in my opinion.

If you have already spent time reading here, my only advice is to keep it up, spend as many hours as you can devote to it early on, and dig deep into the postings here. I can't think of anything that hasn't been covered over and over and explained over and over and discussed and reported on over and over by all of us here! By the time you've been reading for very long, you'll pretty much be an old pro at it, because it's such a simple plan it's quick and easy to learn.

Good luck on JUDDD. I expect you will love it as much as the rest of us do, and I expect it will do a good job for you. Welcome!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Hope you find JUDDD a good fit for you! Don't know about paleo/primal but I do know I want to come live with you so I can eat all that great meat/eggs you are raising on your farm!

That would be a dream come true for me; to raise EVERYTHING I eat!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the warm welcome all. Planning my meals to ADD calories is a new experience. LOL

Beeb, it is a special feeling when we have meals where everything on our plates was grown by us. I want to get more adventurous in the vegetable garden this year (we are pretty boring veggie eaters, lol).
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome all. Planning my meals to ADD calories is a new experience. LOL

Beeb, it is a special feeling when we have meals where everything on our plates was grown by us. I want to get more adventurous in the vegetable garden this year (we are pretty boring veggie eaters, lol).

SO hope you are going to like JUDDD!!

I think the only problem I would have with eating everything that I raised would be I probably would have named them all at one point and THAT would NOT be a good thing! I love trying different veggies in my garden and have even grown things I don't eat just to say I did it. I give these away, but still LOVE growing them!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

I think the only problem I would have with eating everything that I raised would be I probably would have named them all at one point and THAT would NOT be a good thing! I love trying different veggies in my garden and have even grown things I don't eat just to say I did it. I give these away, but still LOVE growing them!!
I can tell you from experience that naming the butcher rabbits is a very bad idea! I was a hippy girl living in a big forest with rabbits and chickens and ducks and geese and dogs and cats and ponies.. and those were just the outdoor animals. LOL Everyone had a name, of course. I ended that practice for the bunnies and poultry in the butcher pens.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
yes, me! (semi) Primal JUDDD here!
Down days can be a challenge until you get used to it. And typical Primal options that are high in fat don't work on down days. I stick with a simple formula of a home-made protein-vitamin shake for breakfast (coffee, too), a simple broth and veggie soup for lunch, and a lean protein and big salad for dinner. My only real Primal sin is that I use a light salad dressing at dinner, but you can make your own going light on the oil.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome!

Isn't planning UD calories fun? Isn't planning DD calories motivating! I like the idea of starting a new thread 'Are there any Primal/Paleo JUDDD BUDDDs out there?'
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

Growing up, we only raised two steers (steer?) for slaughter. One was named Hamburger, and the other had a limp and we named him Tippy (for the limp and Tri-Tip)! They were yummy.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn--lol at the names! Dh has a bull right now he's named "Blue Moon"--as in one this good only comes along once in a blue moon. LOL We don't name anything that might be food, though. And the kids learn early that life on a farm is sometimes short. They seem to be able to separate the pets from the food pretty well at an early age.

I had to eat a few slices of ham and a handful of grapes just now to fill in my last 70 calories. It's TOUGH getting that much in. LOL

I realized I had to give up my favorite paleo treat--coconut oil bark--especially on the dd's. Way too many calories. But it is SO good. I'll save it for UD's when I need the extra calories.

First DD tomorrow. I think I'll start out with a hardboiled egg for breakfast, a salad with some leftover chicken for lunch, and see where I'm at for supper.

Nancy, thanks for the welcome.

Speck--hey primal buddy! I think I will start a paleo/primal JUDDD Budddy thread--tomorrow. It's late, I should be in bed.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I just wanted to say welcome, too!

The discussion of animal names made me recall the one time we raised a calf for meat, in partnership with our next-door neighbor. He and my DH went to a cattle auction to buy it. They put in the neighbor's pick-up truck bed and the thing jumped out before they could tie it down. We named it "Trouble". Trouble was delicious!
theredhead is online now   Reply With Quote