Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DeeLen
Stats: (286.6 before WLS)
WOE: WLS 4/25/06
I am struggling.

First let me say that I'm fine on down days. No problem.

The up days are killing my progress.

I am a binge eater. I am an emotional eater. Yesterday I had an UD. It was like "open mouth, insert food" all day. I know I went WAY over my calories. It could have been a little PMS too, but I also know it was emotional eating.

I think my UDs are going to be my downfall on this WOE.
DeeLen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
We have other binge eaters here, so you are not alone, and also a lot of us who used to just be big habitual opportunistic eaters too. If we were in the presence of food, we tended to help ourselves.

If you can hang in there long enough, most of these eating problems do get neutralized and normalized in our brains somehow. Whew! I don't know how, but our relationship with food is changed, so that we can indulge and appreciate all of it while not having any compulsions to go crazy with any of it. Strange, but true. Thank heavens for that happening, because lots of us are around food in our own homes all day anyway, or have the vending machine right down the hall, etc.

One thing that helps quite a bit is actually sitting down ahead of the UD and working out a menu for the upcoming day. How much of this food and how much of that food. What are the calories going to end up being. Tweak a little here and add a bit to that until the menu is perfect and the calories are just where you want to keep them.

And make sure you cover all three main meals and some snacks too. Then, if you don't eat breakfast or a snack along the way, it gives you more UNPLANNED calories to play with as the day progresses.

How far over do you think you are going, and what is the scale saying? If this isn't causing run-away on the scale, you may be able to bring it back under control shortly. You know, you really don't have to binge or overeat anymore, because this plan lets you eat anything in the world you want for the rest of your life. Once your brain believes that, you'll be golden.

Then too, you mentioned PMS. As most women know, the time of the month we are cycling through can really throw a monkey-wrench into our best plans and will power, so if you think that might be the biggest cause of this right now, I hope you'll just ride it out.

Wishing you all the best in the world, 'cause if you can get to working with JUDDD, it will give you everything you want in your future. The fasting will promote so many health benefits that if there was a price tag on them, none of us would be able to afford them. And you will lose weight and be slimmed down to the size you dream of. Your relationship with food will normalize and become a healthy one. And, as you know, you will be free to eat whatever foods you wish, forever. AND, as if all of that weren't enough, once you are at goal and don't want any more weight loss, you will be eating at even higher calorie numbers, perhaps choosing to have bigger DDs at that time.

Hope you can stick with it for awhile and that it will all *come together* for you shortly!

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-13-2012 at 07:23 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi DeeLen

When I first started JUDDD, I overdid it at times too. Halloween was coming up, and there was all that pure candy (one of my downfalls, along with cookies).

For me at least, after a month or so on JUDDD, my appetite and cravings seemed to normalize. There was no longer a drive to eat like there was no tomorrow, or to try to get in all the carby stuff I'd deprived myself on LC all at once. If you know what I mean. Somehow, I even started *wanting* the more whole, nutritious stuff the majority of the time. But I will admit, I had some scary eating times at first. Sticking it out was the best thing for me.

It might help you, as Pat said, to plan each meal even on UDs, and work in those carby treats you want into the plan. You won't have to have all of them in one day, because they are not off limits to you anymore for the rest of your life. So plan for the one or however many you want the most for one UD, then works another one into the next one, etc.

Give your body and mind time to adapt to this new woe and all the freedom.

Take care.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sjoy76
Stats: 223 / 162.5 / 145
WOE: Atkins
Wow, I am so glad you posted this. I am right there with you!

I started last Saturday and feel the same way. I did so well on my UD yesterday until I got home from work...then it was non-stop eating until bedtime and I was feeling really bad about myself this morning. I needed to hear what you guys responded and I want to stick it out and I am praying that it will normalize and this tendency to binge is related to having been deprived for so long. I really believe this is the plan I can live with and I actually like the fasting days because I feel like I get a break from "thinking" about food because on most days I feel like all I do is think about food and what I want and what I can't have and what I would have if I could eat anything!
sjoy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: lil miss
WOE: LCMW, JUDDD
Start Date: 1/1/13
Quote:
Wow, I am so glad you posted this. I am right there with you!

I started last Saturday and feel the same way. I did so well on my UD yesterday until I got home from work...then it was non-stop eating until bedtime and I was feeling really bad about myself this morning
ME too! I started Last Saturday too. Today I weigh what I weighed on Day one, which I hadnt seen since I started JUDDD.

I was coming to the JUDDD board to post something similar so I am glad you posted this DeeLen!

I had some wine last night and then I snacked. It makes me go over my UD calories.

My DH is DOWN on the scale this am after an UD. Sigh. I had a lot of salt yesterday too and I am PMSing.

I think I need to be smarter about my UDs, cook at home, weigh and measure and not let myself have enough wine that I get all loosey goosey.

One step at a time.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
For me, I plan my up days as well and I leave 300 or so calories open for something if I get the urge to snack. Plan an indulgent snack for yourself in the evening if that's your weak point A couple of cookies and coffee, a really rich hot chocolate, something that screams "cheat!" on other plans but is perfectly OK on juddd
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
ME too! I started Last Saturday too. Today I weigh what I weighed on Day one, which I hadnt seen since I started JUDDD.

I was coming to the JUDDD board to post something similar so I am glad you posted this DeeLen!

I had some wine last night and then I snacked. It makes me go over my UD calories.

My DH is DOWN on the scale this am after an UD. Sigh. I had a lot of salt yesterday too and I am PMSing.

I think I need to be smarter about my UDs, cook at home, weigh and measure and not let myself have enough wine that I get all loosey goosey.

One step at a time.
This was a HUGE pitfall for me both on LC and then JUDDD. I love my wine and the calories add up SO FAST. And then if I have more than a glass or two, it activates "the munchies". At that point, I would throw back calories with abandon.

Even having a good UD all day during WLM, when I started on the wine in the evening, it was very easy to blow past those UD calories with both wine calories + the snacking.

Even though I'm on FD now, I have had to make myself limit the wine (also for health reasons).
Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
One step at a time.
Absolutely!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
For me, I plan my up days as well and I leave 300 or so calories open for something if I get the urge to snack. Plan an indulgent snack for yourself in the evening if that's your weak point A couple of cookies and coffee, a really rich hot chocolate, something that screams "cheat!" on other plans but is perfectly OK on juddd
Thanks, Dottie, that is a great suggestion.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, and perhaps a carbier snack in the evening would even help one wind down and get primed for sleep.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Yes, and perhaps a carbier snack in the evening would even help one wind down and get primed for sleep.
I think I might try air popped popcorn. I checked the label and you can really have a lot for only about 120 calories. That would be filling, too, and feel sort of snacky. Maybe with some of that butter spray stuff and a little salt?
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoy76 View Post
I think I might try air popped popcorn. I checked the label and you can really have a lot for only about 120 calories. That would be filling, too, and feel sort of snacky. Maybe with some of that butter spray stuff and a little salt?
We really enjoy Orville Redenbacher's Natural popcorn (microwave). Tastes really good, and I don't know how, but something like 5 cups of it is 170 calories, depending on which kind you get.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Whew! I am so glad I'm not the only one!

to all.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeLen View Post
Whew! I am so glad I'm not the only one!

to all.
You are def not alone...thanks for sharing!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
I am a binge eater too.

What helps me (this only helps me when I actually do it)

I don't put anything in my mouth until I've put it down into ******. I have ****** PC and enter all sorts of custom foods, when I do groceries, I put the labels of the new foods into ******.

Then when I keep a pad and paper in the kitchen, and when I'm making myself food, I write down things as I add them to my plate. I also weigh EVERYTHING.

So my pad will have something like:
3 eggs
30g of havarti garden vegetable cheese
55g ham
5 slices of bacon
2 slices of toast
1 tablespoon butter
1 chocolate chip cookie

Then I go to the computer and log my food.

Only once it's logged does it go into my mouth. So far I have not binged but I figure if I'm going to overeat at least I should be well aware of what I am doing if I'm doing it.

If I start rationalizing NOT writing it down "Oh I've got this, oh I'm taking a day off today, oh I'll just wing it", that's danger territory for me.

I do maybe, 2 meals and a snack. So once I eat my first meal I have a good idea of about how many calories I have left for supper/snack and since I log my food I also have a good idea of how much food that really is so I can plan an appropriate supper. I make a conscious decision to not graze all day because that's a problem for me.

Oh I also try to slow down my eating. Chew more carefully, take my time eating, I try to not just scarf it down.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-13-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I think I will try that. I had downloaded an app to my phone called ************ but never really used it. I do remember it having a similar set up as ******. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You can get popcorn flavors that you shake onto hot popcorn too, I have a variety but I like the dill one the best.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I think I will try that. I had downloaded an app to my phone called ************ but never really used it. I do remember it having a similar set up as ******. Thanks!
Hey, I did the same thing day before yesterday!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
You can get popcorn flavors that you shake onto hot popcorn too, I have a variety but I like the dill one the best.
Oooh, that sounds yummy.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
This is the reason I ALWAYS suggest counting calories on your UDs even though Dr. J. says it isn't necessary and I know it can be a pain at times. After all aren't those UDs for eating and eating good? Yes, but until a person understands how JUDDD works for them and what they can and can't do, counting is always a good idea, in my opinion.

If you see how much you are eating or how much you have left over or WHAT kinds of foods are making up your calories, you have better control AND a better chance of staying on plan, I feel.

It was only in maintenance and only after months into maintenance that I decided I wasn't going to count calories on my UDs and I still go back to it when I see myself getting into "trouble" by eating too much on my UDs (like yesterday )! The scale tells me when to reign myself in and to do that I need to be "countable" and count everything.

Some can eat to hungry, and most times I can do this but for the times I can't, I count. This works for me and what I have posted is just a suggestion I always make and nothing more. We all need to do what works for us.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 01-13-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Dee I felt like you do the first time I did JUDDD. That was before it was so popular. There was a very small group of knowledgeable long-timers doing it at the time. And I would have fantastic DDs but would resolve into my binge behavior on my UD. I don't mind admitting that often times, alcohol was involved. *cough* *ahem* *errrg* *blush*

But it was pretty odd, after about 2 weeks, my binging levelled off and so did my appetite. I was actually LESS hungry on UDs than I've ever been. I have never had appetite suppression from ketosis and LC, not even when I was ZC/VLC! In fact, I had increased hunger. That's partly how I knew my insulin and blood sugar were going crazy with that way of eating.

I had an enormous drop in appetite after 2 weeks eating on a JUDDD cycle and come to find out, my blood sugar was going back to the mid 70's and 80's in the afternoons and my fasting BGs had dropped back into the 80s and 90s. Wow!!! A complete reverse after 10-years!

So I would do as Beeb and others have advised and closely count what your eating on the UDs for a while. If nothing else, it forces you to have to consider eating it, if you have to come in and write it down! LOL.

I don't write down my UDs any longer. I know what I eat on them of course...and if I have carbs I can be assured of a 2lb bounce after an UD and if not, then often times I will lose after an UD. I don't sweat it. I don't rush to eat on an UD any longer, don't have any unusual binge type feeling and truly am the happiest I've been in SO LONG. I am a binge eater and have had bouts with bulimia as well as anorexia (can't spell, so please forgive - chemo) and have had such struggles at times with LC and with VLC/ZC too. But for the first time, I'm able to content myself with the knowledge of, "I can have anything I want tomorrow..." It works!

I just figure, the joy of alternate day dieting is in only having to be a penny pincher every other day (with calories of course). If I quit losing, then I will go back to tracking both UDs and DDs. Just my 2cents! Hang in there and BELIEVE. You CAN do this. If I can do it, anyone can!!!!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Veering just a little off topic...

Quote:
Quote:
I use ************ also- would love to add you as friends!
What are your usernames over there? I'm Pami225...
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/130.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Then when I keep a pad and paper in the kitchen, and when I'm making myself food, I write down things as I add them to my plate. I also weigh EVERYTHING.

Oh I also try to slow down my eating. Chew more carefully, take my time eating, I try to not just scarf it down.
I log my food during the day as I am eating, also, so that I know how many calories I have left for the day. I write stuff down if I need to log it in to ****** later. And weighing my food is absolutely essential.

And, I really, really need to slow down my eating!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
This helped save me. I AM a sweets/emotional eating addict. Therefore, I bought skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and cones. (if ice cream is not your downfall, get some WW sweets). That way, I can "indulge" every UD after dinner and still be okay. When I'm really stressed, I have had 2 of them. This way, when I can have 2 for 300 cals or so, which is much better than the 800-1000 cals of cake/ice cream I would usually have.

Also, what everyone says about the fact that it eventually goes away is CORRECT You will find yourself snacking on less and less as time goes on.
The gorging will subside--you just have to be patient and trust us!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
I'm sjoy76
Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: October 1, 2013
You are not alone.

I haven't posted on any JUDDD areas for a bit because I haven't been doing DD's for about a month. My Husband started a low calorie and exercise program and I joined him... I have had a hard time sticking to my calories. I don't know what I want to do... LC? I can't stop eating sweets so should I give them up entirely? I don't really want to do that... JUDDD? I was going well... Except when I had days off and my Family wanted to go out to dinner or do something fun on my DD. I loved doing DD's at work but hated doing them at home.

If I really saw some proof of this gene thing maybe I would be more committed ... I am just a bit of a mess right now.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 2BoysMom
Stats: Too pissed to talk about it
WOE: Keeping it simple- Hi Fat, Mod Protein and Lo Carb
Start Date: 1.26.2004 - 1st time. This time 1.1.2014
I'm on ************, too - I really love it!

My user name is 2boysmomLV
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
I loved doing DD's at work but hated doing them at home.
Do you have a monday to friday job? I just read the book a few days ago and I think he mentioned in it that he had a client that did down days monday wednesday and fridays every week, with weekends as up days or mid days, I forget. But anyways the point is that they were only doing those 3 down days a week.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
<----another *** user here, and I it! I love that I can type things in as I am deciding whether or not I want to eat them. I once stood in a long line at subway typing in options on a DD to see what I could have that would fit into my day. Sooooo easy to add things or change things on the fly. it!!!!

My username there is the same as here if any BUDDDs would like another *** Bud!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote