Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I'm jumping in! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753375-im-jumping.html)

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 02:02 AM

I'm jumping in!

I have decided to start JUDDD, even though my weight was down today. I am making a conscious decision to put Atkins on hold and do JUDDD.

I'm starting with an UD today because yesterday almost resembled a DD (not on purpose, but I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't have any diner and hardly any breakfast/lunch).

I'm going to reintroduce small amounts of carbs to my diet, because that is the main reason why I want to do JUDDD. To have carbs and still lose weight. Not going to go all carb-crazy, but I will have some bread every now and then and fries every month or so. Going to start with 1800/500 and see how that goes.

Don't wish me luck, wish me strength and FUN, most of all!

SillverOrchid 01-13-2012 02:16 AM

:jumpjoy: You can do this, and adding back in foods is so the fun part.. ok that and this board is fun too! :hugs::high5:

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 02:50 AM

Thank you!! I am eating a raisin bun (something Dutch) with cheese and butter for the first time in 4 months and I am enjoying the cr*p out of it!! I've been dreaming of this!

Dottie 01-13-2012 02:51 AM

lol enjoy it, Noelle:)

SoHappy 01-13-2012 05:55 AM

Good Morning, again! Glad to hear that you decided to go ahead and join us doing the JUDDD plan. I was hoping you would.

And if you experience the weight GAIN that most of us do when we start allowing some carbs back in again, I know that you also know it's only water regain, that's just the way of it, and so be it.

And then when your scale starts showing the weight losses again, you'll know they are losses of body fat, and not just depleting your body of it's stored fluid weight. And that's the stage you want to get to, 'cause that's the time when it's really fun.. seeing weight go down on the scale at the same time you're posting about the meals you just enjoyed that actually included a raisin bun with cheese and butter! LOLOLOL

Have patience, and enjoy! :up:

sophiethecat 01-13-2012 08:02 AM

Have fun today, Noelle! :high5:

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 08:17 AM

Thanks all!! Today has been really good. I ate quite normal, had some bread and it hasn't triggered any cravings yet. Also going to have some fries tonight, since I told myself that that is the first thing I want once I can eat carbs again.

Yes I know the first days will be water weight. I won't be adding too many carbs at once, staying away from the sugar for now. I've decided to weigh myself only every other day after my DDs. I've been a daily weigher and hopefully this will help me not be so obsessed with the scale!

Is it necessary to eat up to your calorie ceiling? Is it better to do so, than to stay approx 500 calories under, on an UD?

sophiethecat 01-13-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia (Post 15323912)
Thanks all!! Today has been really good. I ate quite normal, had some bread and it hasn't triggered any cravings yet. Also going to have some fries tonight, since I told myself that that is the first thing I want once I can eat carbs again.

Yes I know the first days will be water weight. I won't be adding too many carbs at once, staying away from the sugar for now. I've decided to weigh myself only every other day after my DDs. I've been a daily weigher and hopefully this will help me not be so obsessed with the scale!

Is it necessary to eat up to your calorie ceiling? Is it better to do so, than to stay approx 500 calories under, on an UD?

Eat up to your calorie ceiling or as close as you can.

I'm not sure, but I think this may be one thing that helped my metabolism in the long run. Because by the time I'd reached maintenance, I found I could eat well above my calorie ceiling that I'd had to hold to in weight-loss mode (WLM). I now have FDs that I know are going at least 700 calories over my WLM calories, and not only do I not gain on those calories now (I would have during WLM) but I even lose some!

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15323950)
Eat up to your calorie ceiling or as close as you can.

I'm not sure, but I think this may be one thing that helped my metabolism in the long run. Because by the time I'd reached maintenance, I found I could eat well above my calorie ceiling that I'd had to hold to in weight-loss mode (WLM). I now have FDs that I know are going at least 700 calories over my WLM calories, and not only do I not gain on those calories now (I would have during WLM) but I even lose some!

OK that is good news.. I think. Haha. I will have to figure out a way to get up to 1,800 calories on my Up Days. Never thought that was a problem until I started tracking my calories closely, 3 months ago :hyst:

SoHappy 01-13-2012 09:24 AM

Get up there pretty close if you can. If you just eat little, day after day after day, it's pretty much just like any other low calorie diet plan.

And the problem with that scenario is that eating low calorie numbers for too long a period tends to slow the metabolism down and make it sluggish... just the opposite of what we'd like to have happen to us! Sometimes, at least for some, they can get their metabolism to pop back up and run faster, once they want to start eating a bit more, but for a lot of us, we can't seem to get it to rev back up very much. Hate to have to go through life with a trashed metabolism if you can help it!

The big spread between low DDs and high UDs and the constant pounding up and down between those two numbers seems to help stimulate the metabolism somehow. Our final goal is to be able to eat low for weight loss, without our brain being stimulated to lower our metabolism from it. Instead, before our brain begins to think we're in the midst of a famine, we eat a big UD again, and our brain isn't triggered to slow metabolism. Works pretty good.

By respecting our calorie numbers pretty well, many have been able to enhance their metabolic rate at the same time they were losing weight. In fact, toward the end of weight loss, many find their losses going faster, rather than slowing down, just because their metabolisms are burning faster in addition to them keeping their DD calorie low still.
Win-Win!

Beeb 01-13-2012 09:34 AM

:welcome: and this thread may help with your ? about eating up to your UD calorie level.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...gotta-eat.html

pjsam1156 01-13-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia (Post 15323250)
Thank you!! I am eating a raisin bun (something Dutch) with cheese and butter for the first time in 4 months and I am enjoying the cr*p out of it!! I've been dreaming of this!

I had a scone w/tea on my first UD and thought I had gone to heaven!:hyst:

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15324192)
Get up there pretty close if you can. If you just eat little, day after day after day, it's pretty much just like any other low calorie diet plan.

And the problem with that scenario is that eating low calorie numbers for too long a period tends to slow the metabolism down and make it sluggish... just the opposite of what we'd like to have happen to us! Sometimes, at least for some, they can get their metabolism to pop back up and run faster, once they want to start eating a bit more, but for a lot of us, we can't seem to get it to rev back up very much. Hate to have to go through life with a trashed metabolism if you can help it!

The big spread between low DDs and high UDs and the constant pounding up and down between those two numbers seems to help stimulate the metabolism somehow. Our final goal is to be able to eat low for weight loss, without our brain being stimulated to lower our metabolism from it. Instead, before our brain begins to think we're in the midst of a famine, we eat a big UD again, and our brain isn't triggered to slow metabolism. Works pretty good.

By respecting our calorie numbers pretty well, many have been able to enhance their metabolic rate at the same time they were losing weight. In fact, toward the end of weight loss, many find their losses going faster, rather than slowing down, just because their metabolisms are burning faster in addition to them keeping their DD calorie low still.
Win-Win!

This sounds very logical. With Atkins I have definitely not been eating enough, couldn't get higher than 1,100 because the protein and fat made me full so fast. I guess that's why after losing 26+ lbs weight loss came to a halt. I am going to up my calories little by little, while staying low on my DDs. I am excited for tomorrow, see how I will do on my first DD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15324222)
:welcome: and this thread may help with your ? about eating up to your UD calorie level.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...gotta-eat.html

Thanks for the link!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15324610)
I had a scone w/tea on my first UD and thought I had gone to heaven!:hyst:

Hahaha! Great! I just had fries (yeah I went all out!) and I never ate so slowly. Wanted to enjoy every single bite!

piratejenny 01-13-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia (Post 15323912)
I've decided to weigh myself only every other day after my DDs.

The funny thing is, though, that a lot of us see our lowest weights after an UD!

There are a few theories about this floating around, but it seems that it takes 24-48 hours for your body to fully digest & "react" to what you've eaten. You may expect to see a loss as soon as you wake up after a strict DD but the next day is when it will actually show up.

I weigh daily and average it for the week.

But whatever you find least obsessive and most encouraging is the best thing, of course! :high5:

pjsam1156 01-13-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15324768)
The funny thing is, though, that a lot of us see our lowest weights after an UD!

There are a few theories about this floating around, but it seems that it takes 24-48 hours for your body to fully digest & "react" to what you've eaten. You may expect to see a loss as soon as you wake up after a strict DD but the next day is when it will actually show up.

But whatever you find least obsessive and most encouraging is the best thing, of course! :high5:

I saw a .5 lb loss this morning, and yesterday was a UD.:laugh:

NoelleSilvia 01-13-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15324768)

I kind of pigged out 2 days ago and the next motning I was at my lowest weight since years. So strange but I'll take it.

Well, my Up Day went good, didn't quite eat up to my calories but I will get there eventually. And I stepped on the scale this morning and there was no gain!! After bread and fries, this is great news! I hope to see another lowest weight tomorrow :)

Today my first DD! I'm excited :) if I can get through this, it'll be easy for me, because the days where I don't have anywhere to go, are the hardest. I'm going to have lots of tea, broth and water during the day and have a chicken salad tonight :) will keep you updated on how I'm doing :)

itsmeshelly01 01-14-2012 05:38 AM

Welcome Noelle and you will do great!!!!

NoelleSilvia 01-14-2012 01:15 PM

I am at the end of my first DD and I'm feeling great. As expected I was hardly hungry at all during the day. I had some broth around 1pm and a pot of tea. I was good until around 6pm. Had diner at 7.30 - salad with lettuce, cucumber, feta cheese and chicken. Hardly 400 calories.

It feels great to be in control and not to think about food all the time. I didn't feel deprived at all. I bought some yummy food for tomorrow and I am looking forward to that!