Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question for people who switched from LC to JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753369-question-people-who-switched-lc-juddd.html)

Jenn1225 01-12-2012 09:45 PM

Question for people who switched from LC to JUDDD

So I switched completely right off the bat and dove wayyyyy into the carb end of the pool lol. As expected I gained water weight back - I wasn't shocked.

What I'm starting to worry about though is that its been over a week since I started and I'm not seeing any results. My last UD I reeeally watched the calories to make sure I didn't go over 2000, the DD before that I ate about 100 calories to make up for eating way to much the day before. The stupid scale wont budge.

I'm afraid to hop on it tomorrow to find that I still haven't lost anything =\. So my question is, how long is too long to wait for the scale to start working again.

SoHappy 01-12-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn1225 (Post 15323151)
So I switched completely right off the bat and dove wayyyyy into the carb end of the pool lol. As expected I gained water weight back - I wasn't shocked.

What I'm starting to worry about though is that its been over a week since I started and I'm not seeing any results. My last UD I reeeally watched the calories to make sure I didn't go over 2000, the DD before that I ate about 100 calories to make up for eating way to much the day before. The stupid scale wont budge.

I'm afraid to hop on it tomorrow to find that I still haven't lost anything =. So my question is, how long is too long to wait for the scale to start working again.

OK, first of all, let's check your stats against your calorie numbers. Is the 175 for your current weight correct? And then, could you give me your height and your age? I want to just check a couple of things first.

NoelleSilvia 01-12-2012 09:59 PM

I'm starting today and the advice I got is, if you switched from LC, to take it easy on the carbs. I guess if you to on a full on carb fest, your body will take some time to adjust to that. I'm going to stay LC on UDs for now and reintroduce carbs little by little.

SoHappy 01-12-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia (Post 15323160)
I'm starting today and the advice I got is, if you switched from LC, to take it easy on the carbs. I guess if you to on a full on carb fest, your body will take some time to adjust to that. I'm going to stay LC on UDs for now and reintroduce carbs little by little.

You're an early bird over there, NoelleSilvia. Good Morning.

I'm about ready to crawl into bed here. Good Night.

NoelleSilvia 01-12-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15323163)
You're an early bird over there, NoelleSilvia. Good Morning.

I'm about ready to crawl into bed here. Good Night.

Time zones are a funny thing :) Good night to you, from the other side of the ocean!

Jenn1225 01-12-2012 10:15 PM

I'm 26, 178ish (175 on a good day), 5'11-6'

Dottie 01-13-2012 01:57 AM

My first big water weight gain took about 10 days before the scale started moving again.

Majella 01-13-2012 03:42 AM

Drink lots of water and cut down on the carbs and you'll see results pretty soon well thats what works for me!

SoHappy 01-13-2012 04:44 AM

Good Morning. My guess would be that what Dottie said about water weight gain is also what is going on for you.

Your UD calories seem to be good for you. 1900 to 1950 vicinity. And holding to 500 or fewer calories on your DDs is ideal.

But this is the thing to understand. These are basically the two ways the carb/water weight thing works.

When you start low carb and cut carbs from your diet, you lose water weight for the first week or two, and the scale will show loss. You will be thrilled, but it isn't FAT loss. It's merely your body being depleted of its carb/water fuel stores. And that will stay gone as long as you don't eat the carbs again.

When you start eating any other plan, JUDDD included, and you add the carbs back in again, all that water weight gain will return quickly, and the scale will show a weight gain. You won't be happy to see the number on the scale go up, but it isn't FAT gain. It's merely your body replenishing its fuel supply of carbohydrate, stored with the water, within its liver and muscle tissue, as designed by Mother Nature.

This has nothing to do with gaining or losing body fat. But it does have to do with returning to a diet that includes more carbs than the very low carb plans allow.

If you keep on with JUDDD, regardless of what your weigh-in numbers are for a small while yet, I'm pretty darned sure you will lose body fat, and shortly the number on the scale will be lower than where you started, and where you gained up to as well. And if you take measurements, your weight loss will show up there as well, as you lose body fat and sleek down and turn into the slim young woman you hope to be shortly.

Have patience. It won't be long before you will be posting your losses AND writing about your menus and diet choices that will perhaps be including a few more carbs that you had been able to handle previously.

And I will say another thing about the carbs... many of us have withheld carbs for quite a long while before turning to JUDDD and allowing more carbs back into out diets. We experienced that water weight regain thing and just waited it out too, but the really great part of it was...

Despite seeming to have developed quite a bit of real sensitivity to carbs in the face of their absence in our diets for months and years, our over-reaction to them settled down quite quickly again , and we found that carb sensitivity we had created for ourselves pretty much melted away once again. Then not nearly the large fluctuations that we sometimes saw initially.

Lori-s 01-13-2012 05:34 AM

Jenn hang in there. :hugs:

I went through the same thing as I jumped right back into carbs with both feet as well when I started JUDDD. I got a bit scared when I saw the water weight register on the scale and not go back down right away also. But, after about a week I suddenly dropped down to a new low weight. I have been JUDDDing since Nov 1 and to date have lost exactly 20lbs. Wouldn't have happened if I didn't wait out that initial water weight gain.

synger 01-13-2012 07:05 AM

As with any change in diet, you really need to give it a month (or preferably three) completely on-plan before you can judge whether it works for your body or not. Much as I'd like to think it is, my body is not a machine that will immediately respond as I want it to depending on what fuel and how much fuel I give it. It's much more complex than that, as I've learned to my chagrin.

So please give it time, as well as listening to the sage advice of the more experienced JUDDD Buddds who have posted here. They know this plan very well, and are really supportive!

SoHappy 01-13-2012 08:05 AM

Thank you, synger. Good post. Giving any w.o.e. the time to kick in is always smart, and sometimes it takes a few weeks. So regardless of the eating plan, if it's one you have researched and want to do, give it the time to do its thing, time for your body to adapt to it.

Textemale 01-03-2013 05:53 AM

This is really a good thread! I see there are a lot of people starting JUDDD after doing LC, myself included, and the details above are just we need to stay motivated when the scales are not going in the direction that we want them to at first. Thank you!