Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
DD/Low Carb, UD/Higher Carb

Before I decide to start JUDDD. I would like some information.

my facts:
- Starting weight +/- 260 lbs
- Current weight: 231.5 (fluctuating between 231 and 233)
- Atkins since October 18, 2011
- Fluctuating between 231 and 233 for 2+ weeks
- Did good on Atkins but I feel like I might not be consuming enough calories, and it is impossible for me to up my calories on LC
- Want to try JUDDD because I want to lose some more weight, and I feel like I am in control of my portions
- On Atkins staying between 900 and 1,100 calories a day.
- According to the JUDDD website, on my Up Days I need to take in 2222 calories (whoa!) and my down days 444 (doable).

Would it be possible to do low carb on my Down Days (so I stay full longer) and add more carbs on my Up Days so my calorie intake doesn't stay too low? Or will this have a reverse effect?

Noelle

Beating my addiction to the scale
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
The worst that can happen is you find out it doesn't work for you. I know for me
that wouldn't work because higher carbs would leave me hungry on the day that
I don't eat over 443 calories, and I would be unhappy or uncomfortable, if not
downright miserable. You may be able to handle that. Why don't you try it, and
let us all know how it works for you? Best of luck in whatever you decide to do...
Pami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Would this be a possibility for you?

Entering your stats in the JUDDD calculator but using your goal weight, as you have stated it of 187 pounds, as the current weight. And whether you exercise or not, using the *little or no exercise* level of the calculation. I have a hunch that your UD calories will work a lot better for you and suit you more happily too, if they are closer to 1900 calories on Up Days.

Then holding your DD calories to 500 or fewer, to act as a good opposite foil number to the big UD ceiling.

Then working to eat at approximately those calorie numbers in the routine alternating manner that we do on JUDDD. This should serve to make your alternation bounce hard between the UDs and DDs, continually pounding up against that UD calorie ceiling, and hopefully revving up your metabolism so that it will start running at a faster burn rate again.

It might be necessary to lower the UD number, but I'd sure like to see it start out here and making *no weight loss* be the requirement for lowering it any further.

Here is a little warning though, for what it's worth, and it is about re-introducing carbs in your diet. As you do, your body almost always will also regain its lost water weight. We're always so thrilled to see that fast weight loss on the scale when we first start low carb, even though it isn't any of our FAT at all.. but somehow that lower scale number makes us happy. But when we return to eating some carbs, we are usually bound to gain that water weight back again, so when the scale reading starts going up, as can happen!!! don't panic. It doesn't represent body FAT, and for most of us, we're actually losing body fat, as shown by our shrinking measurements, while we replenish our onboard stored carb fuel and water within our livers and muscle tissues. And we are no longer in a depleted state.

You will just have to see whether this happens to you. And also whether your alternation between carb/no carb/carb/no carb days allows for weight loss or not. I don't think it's going to have much effect on weight loss, as I expect you will still be holding your UDs to a modest carb level anyway, but...

I'm excited to think of you being able to start weight loss happening for you once again, and would love to see into the future and what size you will be when summer comes again.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-12-2012 at 11:31 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Pat, you're so great!! I do think I'll keep my carbs moderate on UDs. I just don't want to be scared of the occasional indulgence on UDs, and I hope JUDDD can give me this. Atkins can't I still love Atkins and I think I would do great with Atkins when I move into maintenance.

I am pretty sure I will do great on DDs, since often I find myself not being hungry until diner. I will have a bit of soup and be full.

I'm going to read up more tomorrow. See what my weight does tomorrow after another on plan day... If still nothing happens, I'll start JUDDD tomorrow with a DD!!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Good luck to you. You are young and beautiful, and it will be added joy when you also reach your weight goals too.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Good luck, Noelle! Let us know how it goes for you as your DD progresses Sounds like you will have little trouble with it.

sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I know there is a lot to read on our JUDDD forum but you will find if you do an advanced search, putting in what you are looking for, 99% of your questions will be answered for you. There are several threads, as a matter of fact, about those who do LC/JUDDD, Moderate DD carbs/JUDDD, higher carb/JUDDD and who cares about carbs/JUDDD. Sometimes if a question has been asked many times it doesn't get read as much or answered as we would like it too because it's remembered as being answered already.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask your questions, so please don't take my answer are such. I just saying you may find more answers to your questions if you did an advance search and see all the threads that many have already answered these questions to.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Beeb! You're absolutely right. And I will read through the forum more extensively tomorrow on my off day!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
Thanks, Beeb! You're absolutely right. And I will read through the forum more extensively tomorrow on my off day!
And if you find anything that you think needs to be repeated or re-read to help us, please let us know!! We all forget, or need encouragement and sometimes something was said and is forgotten that will add to our learning experience!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Find the thread on 'go ahead and fast on DD'.

This week I am doing my version of the fat fast on DD (300 cal of hwc and cream cheese during the day, 200 cal dinner, teensy snack if I decide I really need it). I am very pleased with the results. Next week I may drop the dinner and go 100% fat fast then transition to real fasting.

The only problem is I have to remember to keep my first UD meal small because my tum is NOT prepared to do much work after having a day off.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
It works for me, my down days are protein, and my up days are anything goes, but carby! Potatoes, bread, dessert, pasta, whatever. It has not left ME any hungrier on down days, in fact today is a down day and it's 4:30pm and I have not eaten anything yet today. When I do eat it will be a cup of egg whites and some lean ham, it's pretty much pure protein, no carbs at all, and maybe only a gram or two of fat in the ham. Maybe I'll add in some low fat cheese, but even so the calories are under 250 for a decent sized omelette that'll fill me up the rest of the day. And if it doesn't? I have room for another omelette but I've never needed 2.

One thing that I do find that works FOR ME is that I don't ever eat before noon, even on my up days. I am trying to keep my body used to NOT eating in the mornings so I can get the ghrelin hormone regulated and not making me hungry, from what I understand you get hungry around your normal meal times so I make sure there is no normal meal time in the morning, and it seems to work for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
It works for me, my down days are protein, and my up days are anything goes, but carby! Potatoes, bread, dessert, pasta, whatever. It has not left ME any hungrier on down days, in fact today is a down day and it's 4:30pm and I have not eaten anything yet today. When I do eat it will be a cup of egg whites and some lean ham, it's pretty much pure protein, no carbs at all, and maybe only a gram or two of fat in the ham. Maybe I'll add in some low fat cheese, but even so the calories are under 250 for a decent sized omelette that'll fill me up the rest of the day. And if it doesn't? I have room for another omelette but I've never needed 2.

One thing that I do find that works FOR ME is that I don't ever eat before noon, even on my up days. I am trying to keep my body used to NOT eating in the mornings so I can get the ghrelin hormone regulated and not making me hungry, from what I understand you get hungry around your normal meal times so I make sure there is no normal meal time in the morning, and it seems to work for me.
Some good points here to my way of thinking.

It's pretty obvious now that just eating low carb isn't the only way to regulate appetite and diminish hunger. Obviously there is something about the up/down cycling of JUDDD that does the same thing. After doing it for awhile, most folks don't experience any particular hunger on their DDs. You'd think we'd be ravenous, and instead, we are hardly hungry at all.

And your mention of altering the timing of your hunger was good too, as it does very much become something that is signaled to us at the times we have practiced. Train your brain to signal hunger in the morning, at midday, and at suppertime. And it responds. Retrain your brain to not send out any hunger pangs until midday, and it picks up on the new habit. Pretty interesting.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Great to hear!! I could last until diner without eating. But on UDs, not sure if I can get to my 1,800-2,000 calories if I wait until noon
Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have no issues, I tuck into a huge 1000 calorie brunch: 3 eggs, bacon, ham, 2 slices of toast with butter, havarti cheese, brie, tomatoes, full fat mayo... YUM! Then I last until like 8pm and then eat another big meal. Then that's it until supper the next day.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Noelle, I'm higher than you, more like where you started (and I'm down 40 pounds from my highest weight, lost on LC before stalling for almost two years and then coming to JUDDD). I plan for 600/1800, with one free day that usually ends up about 2300 or so.

I definitely do very low carb on my DDs. Not by planning so much as because I start with protein and fat, and then don't have calories for any starchy stuff!

And I definitely add more carbs in on UDs. I still limit them more than a standard American diet (I have insulin resistance issues, so I do still watch my blood glucose), but I enjoy baked potatoes or toast or even a chocolate truffle or gingerbread cookie on UDs. (We made a huge gingerbread castle this year, and we're still eating pieces of it. Homemade, spicy gingerbread for teh win!)

If you end up giving JUDDD a try, I hope you stick around and let us know how it works for you!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Noelle, I'm higher than you, more like where you started (and I'm down 40 pounds from my highest weight, lost on LC before stalling for almost two years and then coming to JUDDD). I plan for 600/1800, with one free day that usually ends up about 2300 or so.

I definitely do very low carb on my DDs. Not by planning so much as because I start with protein and fat, and then don't have calories for any starchy stuff!

And I definitely add more carbs in on UDs. I still limit them more than a standard American diet (I have insulin resistance issues, so I do still watch my blood glucose), but I enjoy baked potatoes or toast or even a chocolate truffle or gingerbread cookie on UDs. (We made a huge gingerbread castle this year, and we're still eating pieces of it. Homemade, spicy gingerbread for teh win!)

If you end up giving JUDDD a try, I hope you stick around and let us know how it works for you!
I started today. I will certainly stick around and update you on how I am doing I'm excited to have fries tonight (first time in 4 months!).
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
I started today. I will certainly stick around and update you on how I am doing I'm excited to have fries tonight (first time in 4 months!).
Jumping for joy over french fries! Enjoy those fries, Noelle!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #18

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
I'd say either do LC or don't Going in and out of Ketosis is not good for you at all. I know many many people who have jacked up their bodies, by going in and out of ketosis day after day.
My plan is to eat moderate carbs, enough carbs so I don't go into ketosis, but stick to enough protein that I keep full. Like eating a piece of fruit every day rather its an UD or DD. But structuring the rest of my day around protein and veggies.

Dr Anderson from Johns Hospkins University and author of "The Habits of Health" posted an article a couple days ago, here is a quote from it....

"It is very unhealthy to be going in and out of the fat burning state(ketosis). This will cause a stress to your body whether you can feel it or not. You could start to burn muscle during this constant fluctuation of energy burn."
http://lorivsjourneytohealth.blogspot.com/
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori37 View Post
I'd say either do LC or don't Going in and out of Ketosis is not good for you at all. I know many many people who have jacked up their bodies, by going in and out of ketosis day after day.
Do you have links to actual studies that say this, because that's really opposite of everything that I've seen, I've NEVER heard that ketosis is bad to go in and out of... in fact don't most people slide in and out of ketosis all the time? (while sleeping, fasting etc).

I personally do high protein down days with eat whatever I want up days. So that's low carb and high carb alternating.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #20

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I may be way off base, but doesn't it take several days to get into ketosis? So if you're out of ketosis on one day, you're not going to re-enter it the very next day? Again, I'm not really clear on it, but it always would take me almost a week to get into ketosis when LCing, while DH would take just a few days (not just one) and I'd always be so jealous!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #21

Gallery: Lori37
Stats: 310/215/180
WOE: Modified low carb
Start Date: 6/1/2010
Obviously I don't know everything about Ketosis, and don't know ANYTHING about JUDDD. I know it can take 48-72 hours to get to ketosis, but for me personally it only takes 1 day til I feel the effects of it. A friend of mine did Optifast a controlled carb weight loss plan in the early 80's and did great all day, til the evening...she would eat popcorn. Every night. Now she has extreme difficulty losing weight and it has been attributed to the fact that she was getting very close to ketosis every day, then SMASH, pushing her body out of it with the popcorn.
However, I don't know much about JUDDD and I've seen it posted in here that JUDDD puts you into Ketosis without being low carb. (I'm not sure of how yet, I always thought that was a carb thing) So if JUDDD puts you into Ketosis rather it's low carb or not, then you wouldn't be in danger of going in and out by alternating high and low carb days.
Def food for thought and something to look into. If I'm able to find a link I'll post it. The quote above was posted in my health coach group from the Doctor as part of a document about why you should not cheat and go off plan over and over.

Last edited by Lori37; 01-14-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Lori37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Obviously I don't know everything about Ketosis, and don't know ANYTHING about JUDDD. I know it can take 48-72 hours to get to ketosis, but for me personally it only takes 1 day til I feel the effects of it. A friend of mine did Optifast a controlled carb weight loss plan in the early 80's and did great all day, til the evening...she would eat popcorn. Every night. Now she has extreme difficulty losing weight and it has been attributed to the fact that she was getting very close to ketosis every day, then SMASH, pushing her body out of it with the popcorn.
However, I don't know much about JUDDD and I've seen it posted in here that JUDDD puts you into Ketosis without being low carb. (I'm not sure of how yet, I always thought that was a carb thing) So if JUDDD puts you into Ketosis rather it's low carb or not, then you wouldn't be in danger of going in and out by alternating high and low carb days.
Def food for thought and something to look into. If I'm able to find a link I'll post it. The quote above was posted in my health coach group from the Doctor as part of a document about why you should not cheat and go off plan over and over.
I don't know where this would have come from, or where you would have read it, but I'm in my second year of JUDDD, and I've never been in ketosis on it nor intend to be!

I doubt there are very many doing JUDDD who are in ketosis. That pretty much requires a very low carb diet, not just a low carb one, and most who go to JUDDD elevate their carbohydrate intake above the very low carb number of 20-25 and below. Even those who do JUDDD on a low carb level are usually above that.

There are many weight loss diet plans, some of them ketogenic and a lot of them NON-ketogenic. But, once again.. JUDDD doesn't care and has nothing to do with that at all. JUDDD is only about calories and has nothing to do with whether a person is eating at ketosis-inducing very low carb levels or not.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Now she has extreme difficulty losing weight and it has been attributed to the fact that she was getting very close to ketosis every day, then SMASH, pushing her body out of it with the popcorn.
It was attributed by who? That just seems like a really strange conclusion to come to, in my opinion of course. I've tried looking online for any studies or anything to point to ketosis being a bad thing to jump in and out of and I am coming up with nothing. It seems to me more likely that her metabolism is messed up by other factors, age, hormones... people on cyclical ketogenic diets do go in and out of ketosis with no apparent problems.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-15-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It was attributed by who? That just seems like a really strange conclusion to come to, in my opinion of course. I've tried looking online for any studies or anything to point to ketosis being a bad thing to jump in and out of and I am coming up with nothing. It seems to me more likely that her metabolism is messed up by other factors, age, hormones... people on cyclical ketogenic diets do go in and out of ketosis with no apparent problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I don't know where this would have come from, or where you would have read it, but I'm in my second year of JUDDD, and I've never been in ketosis on it nor intend to be!

I doubt there are very many doing JUDDD who are in ketosis. That pretty much requires a very low carb diet, not just a low carb one, and most who go to JUDDD elevate their carbohydrate intake above the very low carb number of 20-25 and below. Even those who do JUDDD on a low carb level are usually above that.

There are many weight loss diet plans, some of them ketogenic and a lot of them NON-ketogenic. But, once again.. JUDDD doesn't care and has nothing to do with that at all. JUDDD is only about calories and has nothing to do with whether a person is eating at ketosis-inducing very low carb levels or not.

Also: it always took me about 2-3 days to get into ketosis, so I am not worried about this at all.

Last edited by NoelleSilvia; 01-15-2012 at 01:10 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Also: I don't think it is possible to get into ketosis within 1 day in the first place, ESPECIALLY when it's only < 500 calories. So JUDDD people shouldn't be scared of this anyways.
It would depend on how much carbohydrate you're eating, your liver needs to produce X amount of glucose a day, so if you're eating waaaaay more carbohydrate than that, you'll not go into ketosis, but if you're eating about that amount you may go in and out as your body needs it. I think at about 100 grams a day you could be in ketosis some of the time. Which is why I don't think that it's bad to go in and out of ketosis, because someone eating 80-100 grams of carb a day probably does go in and out of ketosis every day.

Last edited by Hazelsmrf; 01-15-2012 at 01:10 AM..
Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It would depend on how much carbohydrate you're eating, your liver needs to produce X amount of glucose a day, so if you're eating waaaaay more carbohydrate than that, you'll not go into ketosis, but if you're eating about that amount you may go in and out as your body needs it. I think at about 100 grams a day you could be in ketosis some of the time. Which is why I don't think that it's bad to go in and out of ketosis, because someone eating 80-100 grams of carb a day probably does go in and out of ketosis every day.
You just caught me before I changed my post :P I googled it and I came across some people that do get in ketosis in 1 day, so I was wrong there. But like you, I don't think it's a problem if you do, because anything under 100g carbs is considered LC (and 100g is really quite a lot), and I'm sure 70% of the world population go under/above that level all the time.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #27

The following bit from the Livestrong site explains a low carb ketogenic level versus a non-ketogenic low carbohydrate diet level.

Principles

The principle underlying low-carb diets is that a high intake of carbohydrate stimulates the release of large quantities of insulin, a hormone that promotes fat storage. Therefore low-carb diets aim at reducing the daily carb intake in order to lower the circulating insulin levels and allow the body to start using its fat reserve for fuel.

Ketosis

Some low-carb diets, but not all, start with a phase that strictly excludes many carbohydrate-rich foods from the diet. The objective of eliminating almost all carbohydrates is to induce ketosis. Ketosis is a term that refers to the metabolic pathway that uses fat as opposed to carbohydrates. Burning fat for energy produces ketone bodies, so this process is called ketosis; it can be induced by a ketogenic diet. Ketosis is not dangerous and should not be confused with ketoacidosis, a serious medical condition observed in type 1 diabetics. Ketosis usually happens when the carb intake drops lower than 50 g a day and most low-carb diets proposing a ketogenic phase recommend that you follow it only for the first two weeks.

Research Findings

A trial compared low-carb ketogenic diet, with a carbohydrate intake corresponding to less than 5 percent of the calories, or an average of 33 g a day, to a low-carb nonketogenic diet, with 40 percent of its calories from carbohydrate, or an average of 157 g a day, in 20 obese individuals. At the end of the six-week trial, both groups lost the same amount of weight. Results were published in 2006 in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

Increased Carbs

A nonketogenic low-carb diet can include between 50 and 150 g of carbohydrate a day, giving you more variety in your food choices while allowing you to lose weight at a steady pace. Your specific carbohydrate target needs to be individualized within that range for maximum results. A nonketogenic low-carb diet could include between 15 and 20 or up to 50 g of carbohydrates at each meal, allowing you to enjoy small servings of fruits, grains, starchy vegetables and dairy products as well as limited amounts of sugar.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
The following bit from the Livestrong site explains a low carb ketogenic level versus a non-ketogenic low carbohydrate diet level.

Principles

The principle underlying low-carb diets is that a high intake of carbohydrate stimulates the release of large quantities of insulin, a hormone that promotes fat storage. Therefore low-carb diets aim at reducing the daily carb intake in order to lower the circulating insulin levels and allow the body to start using its fat reserve for fuel.

Ketosis

Some low-carb diets, but not all, start with a phase that strictly excludes many carbohydrate-rich foods from the diet. The objective of eliminating almost all carbohydrates is to induce ketosis. Ketosis is a term that refers to the metabolic pathway that uses fat as opposed to carbohydrates. Burning fat for energy produces ketone bodies, so this process is called ketosis; it can be induced by a ketogenic diet. Ketosis is not dangerous and should not be confused with ketoacidosis, a serious medical condition observed in type 1 diabetics. Ketosis usually happens when the carb intake drops lower than 50 g a day and most low-carb diets proposing a ketogenic phase recommend that you follow it only for the first two weeks.

Research Findings

A trial compared low-carb ketogenic diet, with a carbohydrate intake corresponding to less than 5 percent of the calories, or an average of 33 g a day, to a low-carb nonketogenic diet, with 40 percent of its calories from carbohydrate, or an average of 157 g a day, in 20 obese individuals. At the end of the six-week trial, both groups lost the same amount of weight. Results were published in 2006 in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

Increased Carbs

A nonketogenic low-carb diet can include between 50 and 150 g of carbohydrate a day, giving you more variety in your food choices while allowing you to lose weight at a steady pace. Your specific carbohydrate target needs to be individualized within that range for maximum results. A nonketogenic low-carb diet could include between 15 and 20 or up to 50 g of carbohydrates at each meal, allowing you to enjoy small servings of fruits, grains, starchy vegetables and dairy products as well as limited amounts of sugar.
And Another great post from Pat! I love you for always doing thorough research for us! Great to know.