Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Moving away from Atkins to JUDDD

Hey you guys. I've been doing Atkins since October of 2011 and have successfully lost 26+ lbs so far. But lately it seems like my weight hasn't been doing much. For the past 2 weeks I've been going back and forth between 231 and 233. Also, when I ask for help, some people say I am eating too little and some say I don't have to worry about it. So I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't have problems eating little amounts of food (I eat when I'm hungry), but I'm scared that on Atkins, eating under 1,000 per day isn't going to cut it.

I want to wait it out a little, but in the meantime I am looking around if I could switch to another diet plan that might work better for me at this moment, now that Atkins is kind of leaving me hanging (still want to lose another +/- 45 lbs).

What are the benefits of switching to JUDDD from Atkins (I do want to stay MC on JUDDD because I have a serious sugar addiction)?

People that have switched (maybe for the same reasons I want to switch): did weight loss seem to go faster or slower for you?
__________________
xoxo

Noelle

Beating my addiction to the scale

Last edited by NoelleSilvia; 01-12-2012 at 12:43 AM..
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,339
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
I have tried JUDDD to break my 6 month stall. So far a normal version of JUDDD (not low carb) left me absolutely STARVING and my weight higher than when I started.

A low carb version of JUDDD showed some results in a positive direction (no hunger problems!) but I did not see any improvement in weight that I had not seen while trying to break the stall with other measures (fat fast, meat and egg fast). Basically I have lost and gained the same 8 pounds about 6 times, both on JUDDD and on these other things. JUDDD has not been more or less effective for me than they were.

Of course just because I have not had any wild successes with JUDDD does not mean you won't! But I thought I would share my experiences with you, because you are going to hear a LOT of people who have only positive things to say. Lots of people love this plan and have found success with it. But I am not convinced yet that there is any magic here. I hope there is, because I am getting desperate to get rid of the last 20 pounds...anyhow, I just have not found my magic yet.

I had to stop JUDDDing during exams, as well. I am in law school, and in my 2nd language, to boot! So while we had exam period, I made the decision to keep low carb and not JUDDD. I did not have the time to mess around with menus and calculate calories while I was studying, and did not want to risk my concentration levels and focus because of a 500 calorie day (one of my exams was a 3 day exam, so I could not just arrange things so it fell on an up day). Anyhow, so I had to push the pause button on my JUDDD experiment for a while. Now that exams are finally over, we will see what happens!

If you have a sugar addiction, be REALLY really careful switching from low carb to a moderate carb JUDDD, as you may find it hard to control due to hunger. I found the down days to be more manageable on low carb. Eating an apple as a meal or snack, as many JUDDDers do, leaves me starving a couple hours later. And that sucks when you have only 500 cals in a day!!

The DDs are manageable if you choose the right foods (make sure you have something with protein in the morning...you will be fuller longer! And shirataki noodles are your friend!).

I am also finding some of the 'special' ingredients folks use to JUDDD impossible to find in Denmark. You probably have an easier time in Germany (you have so many food items that we don't!!) but some might need to be ordered from the UK (like glucomanann power and such).

Anyhow, that is my 2 cents! I don't want to discourage you at all! I just want to be open and honest about my experiences. Whatever you do I hope it works for you!
__________________
'It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves'
-Sir Edmund Hillary
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Thank stardustshadow. I definitely appreciate your honest response. I want to hear both sides so I can make an educated decision whether or not I want to try it. I say moderate carb because on up days I might want to eat some bread or something. On down days I am sure LC is the best way to go.
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 70,814
Gallery: Dottie
You can still do juddd and low-carb together Just have smaller portions and leaner proteins on down days along with low-carb allowed veggies.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!
 
adillenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,632
Gallery: adillenal
The only way I ever lost on Atkins was to do lowfat lowcarb. Worked like a charm 7 years ago but I do not have the ambition to try that again. I also weighed and measured all of my food which I also do on JUDDD. I am new to this diet so I cannot address pros or cons between the plans.
I eat too many calories on Atkins but I do Atkins 72 and if I keep the calories down it works but I miss having "regular" foods that I love so that is why I am giving JUDDD a try.
__________________
adi 5'7" 65 years old
181/155/145 LC MY WAY 3/15/03
155/144/140 LFL 5/05/04
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
I have had really good results with Atkins 72 and have lost around 40#. Now trying to get last 10# off and I am old, so am having a problem. Think these #'s are really stuck on. Tried JUDD so I could eat more of the things that I haven't eaten for a while; but, so far, just hasn't done anything for me. Think I probably eat too many carbs for me.
Hope you have success with the plan and congrats on the #'s that you have lost.
Have a great day,
Hope
hopetolose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
gotsomeold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville, NC / Marietta, Ga
Posts: 3,709
Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I'm keeping mostly lc, trying a new carb like once a week. But, that is mostly because I have not yet managed two consecutive weeks of DD/UD. (A family emergency keeps turning my UDs into DDs. In fact for several weeks I went back to lc just to keep my weight stable because I was eating way too few calories)

That being said, I broke my lc stall the first week I JUDDDed. And I am down 9 pounds since Thanksgiving - not bad for post-menopausal and not many consistent DD/UD rotations.

I know the science and health benefits behind JUDDD and LC. I find the two work together perfectly. And the threads about how simple moving to maintenance is by adjusting JUDDD calories delight me. I am a believer.

For LCers coming to the dark side: At least for me, introducing carbs very slowly prevented water weight and inches gains. It was great seeing my stall stop and everything moving down again!
__________________
- Nancy
GOAL 10/3/12
Still at goal 2/6/13
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Thanks for your advice. My problem might also be cOnsuming too few calories. But doing LC I just can't seem to up my calories because I get full sofast. Therefore I think JUDDD could work better because I won't have to up my calories and if I do, it's easier, since carbs dont fill me up as much as fat does.

It is good to hear both sides. I might try it for a week or two, even if it's just to break a stall somehow. I feel like I could do Atkins when I move into the maintenance phase though.

Last edited by NoelleSilvia; 01-12-2012 at 05:21 AM..
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 905
Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good job, Nancy.
Since I am in my 60's, I think that is the reason I am having a problem losing, but just have to keep plugging along.
Hope
hopetolose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
May I suggest that you try it. You have so little to lose at this point except more weight.

IF you don't lose another ounce, you can always go back to low carb as you have previously done it, and be on your way. Doing JUDDD will at least have given your body a change of pace, and maybe that will be enough to be the nudge needed.

And you may find you enjoy JUDDD as so many of us have done, and if that becomes the case, it's a delight.

I do suggest that you go to the JUDDD website and read there. That gives you a little of the basics, and you will learn all the little *how tos* and adjustments possible here.

And IF you are not losing weight, talk about it here, because it is almost always just a matter of tweaking calorie levels a bit, or sometimes a simple explanation of what is happening on the scale to cause such fluctuation, or such. We want everyone to succeed, but can't help if we don't know the numbers you are really eating at, etc.

So many of us are here because low carb ceased to give us any weight loss. Some had even started gaining weight on it without having reintroduced the carbs! I have a couple of theories, one being that in some of us, the body really DOES want some carbs in the diet afterall, and in their strong absence, senses famine just as though the proteins and fats we feed ourselves aren't even being counted. After all, carbohydrate is one of the three macro nutrients. Seems strange to only eat of two of them and abhor the third. How did that thought get started, and now being *proven* and touted by the new gurus. It's a wonder all our ancestors weren't hugely obese, every single one of them all the way back, and yet for most of the eras of mankind, people were normal-sized while still enjoying their bread and beer, apples and chocolates, etc. My thought is that it seems silly to think that Mother Nature covered the earth in plant life, and we were the only animal who was told not to eat any of it.

If you learn how to hold your DDs to about 500 calories (and truly, that becomes so easy you can't believe it... there are food choices and timing-of-meal choices that make it work easily) or even start Down Days a bit higher and work them down as you get used to it, you will exceed on those days. And low DD calories are one of the two really important keys.

Then if you truly work with the Up Day calorie number that is accurate for you, and don't exceed that number, it's a rare, rare person who doesn't lose weight.

It seems impossible that if you held your calories as low as about 1000 a day, as you report is your norm, that you wouldn't be losing weight, but I have visited with a couple who have had weight loss slow to almost nothing on hcg protocol of only 500 calories a day. I think these are probably perfect examples of the metabolism being triggered finally to slow down to match the level of calorie intake, as the brain senses starvation possibility from what appears to be difficulty in finding food nutrient in the presence of a famine situation. Bless the metabolism for trying to save us. Darn it if we trash our metabolism in our attempt to get slim!

JUDDD will help you overcome this. I hope if you have a few spare hours here and there you will read a whole lot of the posts and discussions here to get a little better feel for it, especially those discussions where we explain our thoughts and explanations and little *how-tos* to others. There's a lot of info here, but I suppose it gets buried as the threads keep moving. LOL

Ask any specific questions. There's a lot of knowledge here, and completely friendly folks to help you. I hope you'll try this. If it works for you, you're going to be a whole lot slimmer when summer rolls around this year.
__________________
Best wishes, Pat

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-12-2012 at 06:50 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
Hey you guys. I've been doing Atkins since October of 2011 and have successfully lost 26+ lbs so far. But lately it seems like my weight hasn't been doing much. For the past 2 weeks I've been going back and forth between 231 and 233. Also, when I ask for help, some people say I am eating too little and some say I don't have to worry about it. So I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't have problems eating little amounts of food (I eat when I'm hungry), but I'm scared that on Atkins, eating under 1,000 per day isn't going to cut it.

I want to wait it out a little, but in the meantime I am looking around if I could switch to another diet plan that might work better for me at this moment, now that Atkins is kind of leaving me hanging (still want to lose another +/- 45 lbs).

What are the benefits of switching to JUDDD from Atkins (I do want to stay MC on JUDDD because I have a serious sugar addiction)?

People that have switched (maybe for the same reasons I want to switch): did weight loss seem to go faster or slower for you?
Hi, Noelle I said welcome on another thread too, but to JUDDD!

I switched from LC to JUDDD for similar reasons as you, even though I didn't have as much weight left to lose when I came to JUDDD (but I ended up losing even more than I intended!)

I found that the weight FLEW off me in JUDDD, where it had constantly stalled on LC. Near the end of my LC days, it had started to take me 3 or 4 weeks to drop a pound. When I came to JUDDD, I lost about 5# in a week-1/2 or 2 weeks. I've lost more while in maintenance.

Give it 2 or 3 weeks at least and see how it does for you.
__________________
Started JUDDD 10/12/11 after LC.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 12,435
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
Thanks for your advice. My problem might also be cOnsuming too few calories. But doing LC I just can't seem to up my calories because I get full sofast. Therefore I think JUDDD could work better because I won't have to up my calories and if I do, it's easier, since carbs dont fill me up as much as fat does.

It is good to hear both sides. I might try it for a week or two, even if it's just to break a stall somehow. I feel like I could do Atkins when I move into the maintenance phase though.
You will have to up your calories on your UDs, depending on what you're currently eating. Part of the science behind the UD/DD depends on getting enough overall calories.

I'm having amazing success since finding my correct numbers (4.6 lbs in the last 6 days) and much better success than I had on Atkins. HTH!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,049
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
You say you are doing well on Atkins and you weight loss proves that so why change?

You aren't really "stalled" (a stall is 6 weeks or more) and I just think your body is in a "pause" to catch up with your weight loss.

I would say give LC at least another month or so before you decide to switch over to anything else. Coming to JUDDD may not make things move faster, as a matter of fact it will have the reverse effect at first (gaining weight from adding carbs) if you don't continue to do LC with JUDDD. Some of us have this problem, some of us don't.

I say leave things as they are and see what happens with continued LC, and do eat a little more. Low calories don't always lead to weight loss.
__________________

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You will have to up your calories on your UDs, depending on what you're currently eating. Part of the science behind the UD/DD depends on getting enough overall calories.

I'm having amazing success since finding my correct numbers (4.6 lbs in the last 6 days) and much better success than I had on Atkins. HTH!
Like I said, if I will have to up my calories on UDs, it will be easier since I am allowed to eat carbs. Carbs don't fill me up as much. So that probably won't be a problem. Upping my calories on LC is absolutely not going to happen because I just can't eat more than approx 1,100.

Thanks for all of your advice. As always, many different opinions on here, and I will have to make a decision for myself at this point. Its especially frustrating because I've done so well in the past with LC. I said that I was thinking of switching because I keep gaining weight while on LC. Maybe I should have more patience, maybe I should just try it, because I have nothing to lose. JUDDD sounds really attractive so far but I still have a lot of reading to do before making a decision. I'd never start a new WOE without having gained as much knowledge as I can. I have a day off tomorrow so I will read up on it more!

Thanks again, keep your suggestions coming!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Noelle, you can still do LC or moderate carb (whatever one's definition of that is, lol) and JUDDD. You may want to do JUDDD for the other benefits it gives even if you do find you lose well on LC again. JUDDD has appeared to benefit me with lowered inflammation (I don't take allergy pills anymore), better skin (I used to get horrible acne cysts), besides the weight loss.

Yes, take in all the info you can and see what you want to do
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Noelle, you can still do LC or moderate carb (whatever one's definition of that is, lol) and JUDDD. You may want to do JUDDD for the other benefits it gives even if you do find you lose well on LC again. JUDDD has appeared to benefit me with lowered inflammation (I don't take allergy pills anymore), better skin (I used to get horrible acne cysts), besides the weight loss.

Yes, take in all the info you can and see what you want to do
I want to do moderate carb because I don't want to go a lifetime without bread, fries and chocolate. I found that on Atkins I just can't have that. This doesn't mean I will have bread, fries and chocolate on every UD. Fries once a month, bread once a week and chocolate as a treat every now and then. And this seems to be OK on JUDDD, on Atkins it causes my weight to "stall" for a week or 2 (this happened before), even if it's just ONE meal.

You're right, when LC works for me I don't see why JUDDD combined with MC wouldn't work for me. I don't think I will have problems on my DD's. Plus: there are always a ton of reasons NOT to do something, but I want to continue losing weight, so why not try it, even for just 2 weeks.

From what I've read, people that do JUDDD love it because they can still eat carby things, and lose weight and I think I am already better in control of what I eat after doing Atkins for almost 3 months.

Last edited by NoelleSilvia; 01-12-2012 at 09:12 AM..
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
_catzy_
 
Bonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 22,860
Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I have started doing JUDDD but still stay LC. I wasn't stalled on LC, still love it and have no intention of adding back in foods that I know are bad for me for other reasons, not just weight loss. I was already eating so few calories I figured why not keep one day as a DD and then try and up the other day by adding more good carbs and fats, making it more moderate carb instead of LC. I am down 3 lbs in about a week but I am still working on increasing my UD calories more. The weight loss will probably slow down when I do get them up where they should be but I do like the DDs.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I have started doing JUDDD but still stay LC. I wasn't stalled on LC, still love it and have no intention of adding back in foods that I know are bad for me for other reasons, not just weight loss. I was already eating so few calories I figured why not keep one day as a DD and then try and up the other day by adding more good carbs and fats, making it more moderate carb instead of LC. I am down 3 lbs in about a week but I am still working on increasing my UD calories more. The weight loss will probably slow down when I do get them up where they should be but I do like the DDs.
Bonnie, not necessarily so. Your weight loss may not slow at all from eating up to your UD calories when you can get there! If it truly does, you can always back it down a little, but what many of us find is that...

When combined with good Down Days, eating up to our UD calorie number serves to stimulate our metabolism, and gets it revved up and working better than it has in years, burning up calories at a better rate, allowing us to eat more, eat more carbs even, and still lose with relative ease and maintain our losses pretty easily. Some folks even have to fight not to lose more weight than they want to lose!!! Hard to think that would happen to people who originally came to LCF because of overweight issues.

So a good UD number, opposing a good DD number, most often gives us weight loss, absolute freedom in our food choices, and a better metabolism in addition to the known health benefits from fasting. It's truly a good plan.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep in the heart of TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: txcharisma
Stats: (5'3'') 240 & sz. 20-22/135 & sz.8/120-ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
From what I've read, people that do JUDDD love it because they can still eat carby things, and lose weight and I think I am already better in control of what I eat after doing Atkins for almost 3 months.
I'm going to sound rude here, and I completely don't mean to but.... 3 months isn't honestly alot of time on Atkins... I've been on Atkins since August of 2010... and I am just now considering JUDDD or some other IF since I am wanting to move more into a maintenence phase at some point here in the next 4-8 months (I've lost 105 lbs-- down from 240lbs to 135lbs, reached my initial goal, have another 15-20lbs to get into vanity weight range, which was my second goal). Some months were slower, some were quicker with the loss... I don't know. Just FWIW, I don't know of many people weight drops off completely overnight for. JUDDD may kick start it for you... it may not. It may just be sticking to it for a prolonged period of time. Just my .02 cents.
txcharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Bonnie, not necessarily so. Your weight loss may not slow at all from eating up to your UD calories when you can get there! If it truly does, you can always back it down a little, but what many of us find is that...

When combined with good Down Days, eating up to our UD calorie number serves to stimulate our metabolism, and gets it revved up and working better than it has in years, burning up calories at a better rate, allowing us to eat more, eat more carbs even, and still lose with relative ease and maintain our losses pretty easily. Some folks even have to fight not to lose more weight than they want to lose!!! Hard to think that would happen to people who originally came to LCF because of overweight issues.

So a good UD number, opposing a good DD number, most often gives us weight loss, absolute freedom in our food choices, and a better metabolism in addition to the known health benefits from fasting. It's truly a good plan.
Yes, I always tried to eat (and drink) my way to those UD numbers when I was in weight-loss mode, and later when I got to maintenance, I found my metabolism had been healed or charged enough that I could eat calorie amount way above weight-loss mode calories and still maintain (and lately even lose more!)

So don't short-change your body by keeping to low calories if you don't have to. You'll be glad when you get to maintenance if you also find that you can have FDs or at least higher UDs than you had to keep to on WLM.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,704
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Noelle, I just wanted to say that I would love to see you over here!!!

I *try* not to eat a lot of carbs on my UDs but there are just so many things I love...
good crusty white bread , rice & beans, and tortilla chips in particular!!!

I also find it's a little easier (sometimes too easy!) to eat more calories when I have some carbs in my diet
because butter, mayo, cheese, sour cream etc go so well with bread & Mexican food! Naughty, naughty!

When I do LC (which I should do, regardless of my preferences, because I have diabetes), I feel great with high fat/moderate protein,
but broccoli & steak just don't soak up butter like them carbs!
__________________
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." --Ace Rimmer
"Really, how is eating a piece of cake bad? Being bad is murdering someone.
That's bad. Don't do that." --Sarah Michelle Gellar
****************************************

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-12-2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: punctuation
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Noelle, I just wanted to say that I would love to see you over here!!!

I *try* not to eat a lot of carbs on my UDs but there are just so many things I love...
good crusty white bread , rice & beans, and tortilla chips in particular!!!

I also find it's a little easier (sometimes too easy!) to eat more calories when I have some carbs in my diet
because butter, mayo, cheese, sour cream etc go so well with bread & Mexican food! Naughty, naughty!

When I do LC (which I should do, regardless of my preferences, because I have diabetes), I feel great with high fat/moderate protein,
but broccoli & steak just don't soak up butter like them carbs!
I definitely want to stay low/moderate carb. I just do want the occasional carb like white bread with butter and cheese, currywurst and fries (a German thing!). Doing this on Atkins just causes a too long a plateau.

Thanks for all of your comments!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Noelle, I just wanted to say that I would love to see you over here!!!

I *try* not to eat a lot of carbs on my UDs but there are just so many things I love...
good crusty white bread , rice & beans, and tortilla chips in particular!!!

I also find it's a little easier (sometimes too easy!) to eat more calories when I have some carbs in my diet
because butter, mayo, cheese, sour cream etc go so well with bread & Mexican food! Naughty, naughty!

When I do LC (which I should do, regardless of my preferences, because I have diabetes), I feel great with high fat/moderate protein,
but broccoli & steak just don't soak up butter like them carbs!
I hear you too, piratejenny. I fixed the most delicious ham sandwich on my last UD, and thought to myself how overjoyed I was to be heaping all those slabs of ham onto gorgeous black pumpernickel bread instead of some egg white Revolution Roll substitute thing.

Also, to you, piratejenny, I'm hopeful that JUDDD or a fasting form you choose to follow instead, might help your metabolic resistance, insulin sensitivity, etc. Fasting is supposed to be a big help to that and helping to normalize our response to carbs. Keep fingers crossed.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcharisma View Post
I'm going to sound rude here, and I completely don't mean to but.... 3 months isn't honestly alot of time on Atkins... I've been on Atkins since August of 2010... and I am just now considering JUDDD or some other IF since I am wanting to move more into a maintenence phase at some point here in the next 4-8 months (I've lost 105 lbs-- down from 240lbs to 135lbs, reached my initial goal, have another 15-20lbs to get into vanity weight range, which was my second goal). Some months were slower, some were quicker with the loss... I don't know. Just FWIW, I don't know of many people weight drops off completely overnight for. JUDDD may kick start it for you... it may not. It may just be sticking to it for a prolonged period of time. Just my .02 cents.
You don't sound rude at all! I appreciate your opinion. But, we are all different. I have my reasons for wanting to try something else. I love Atkins an the benefits but I would like to add a bit more carbs to my diet every now and then and doing Atkins I can't do that when I want to lose weight. I thank you for your input!
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,704
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
I definitely want to stay low/moderate carb. I just do want the occasional carb like white bread with butter and cheese, currywurst and fries (a German thing!). Doing this on Atkins just causes a too long a plateau.
I think it's definitely doable!

If you stick to your DD calories (which, on another thread, you mentioned were about 440), you should be relatively LC because even if you ate nothing but carbs, it would only come to about 110g of them. Which might be a bit high for Atkins/LC but not compared to what most people eat "normally".

The only carbs I really eat on DDs come from veggies like zucchini, spinach, & celery, a few "incidental" carbs from dairy, and one or two servings of low-carb wraps or tortillas (6g net carbs each). Most of my calories come from protein and a few grams of fat.

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: add quote
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I think it's definitely doable!

If you stick to your DD calories (which, on another thread, you mentioned were about 440), you should be relatively LC because even if you ate nothing but carbs, it would only come to about 110g of them. Which might be a bit high for Atkins/LC but not compared to what most people eat "normally".

The only carbs I really eat on DDs come from veggies like zucchini, spinach, & celery, a few "incidental" carbs from dairy, and one or two servings of low-carb wraps or tortillas (6g net carbs each). Most of my calories come from protein and a few grams of fat.
How about your UDs? Do you consume more carbs? Or do you stay completely LC?
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #27
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,049
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
I want to do moderate carb because I don't want to go a lifetime without bread, fries and chocolate. I found that on Atkins I just can't have that. This doesn't mean I will have bread, fries and chocolate on every UD. Fries once a month, bread once a week and chocolate as a treat every now and then. And this seems to be OK on JUDDD, on Atkins it causes my weight to "stall" for a week or 2 (this happened before), even if it's just ONE meal.

You're right, when LC works for me I don't see why JUDDD combined with MC wouldn't work for me. I don't think I will have problems on my DD's. Plus: there are always a ton of reasons NOT to do something, but I want to continue losing weight, so why not try it, even for just 2 weeks.

From what I've read, people that do JUDDD love it because they can still eat carby things, and lose weight and I think I am already better in control of what I eat after doing Atkins for almost 3 months.
I do a moderate carb WOE every DD. I stay around 70g or so on my DDs but since I don't count my UDs since I have been in maintenance for a few months now I have no idea what my carbs are for UDs and I'm not too concerned about this, either.

I have done LC since 2003 and doing LC taught me lots of good things about good fats/proteins and healthier eating. I don't know if I would say I'm in better control because I have done LC all these years, but I will say I do know what the better choices are for being a healthy Beeb!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!
 
NoelleSilvia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,027
Gallery: NoelleSilvia
Stats: H267/S260/C254/T200
WOE: Modified LC
Start Date: August 2012
I just realized I've been bouncing between 231 and 233 for 3,5 weeks now. Not 2 weeks. I was 233,something before Christmas. Hm. In those 3,5 weeks I've had 2 high carb meals (Christmas and NYE).
NoelleSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,704
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
How about your UDs? Do you consume more carbs? Or do you stay completely LC?
Oh no, those are the days I have garlic bread or Indian food or nachos or....
even though I mean to stay LC!
However, I do try to only have one carby item or meal per UD...not an all-day carb fest!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep in the heart of TX
Posts: 16
Gallery: txcharisma
Stats: (5'3'') 240 & sz. 20-22/135 & sz.8/120-ish
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelleSilvia View Post
You don't sound rude at all! I appreciate your opinion. But, we are all different. I have my reasons for wanting to try something else. I love Atkins an the benefits but I would like to add a bit more carbs to my diet every now and then and doing Atkins I can't do that when I want to lose weight. I thank you for your input!
Thank you for taking that in the spirit it was meant to be.. helpful! :-) I'm pulling for you-- alot of the girls on here seemed to have found good success with it!
txcharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.