Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Well, there goes Dr. Johnson's Resveratrol business

Did any of you see the following article. Looks like this stuff may be even more suspect than many felt before this revelation. Being elevated and heralded based on faulty and altered research sort of casts a lot of suspicion and doubt on whether this stuff has any worth and value in the least. What stupidity on this researcher's part.

HARTFORD, Conn. — A University of Connecticut researcher known for his work on red wine's benefits to cardiovascular health falsified his data in more than 100 instances, and nearly a dozen scientific journals are being warned of the potential problems after publishing his studies in recent years, officials said Wednesday.

UConn officials said their internal review found 145 instances over seven years in which Dr. Dipak Das fabricated, falsified and manipulated data, and the U.S. Office of Research Integrity has launched an independent investigation of his work.

Das, a tenured surgery professor and director of UConn Health Center's Cardiovascular Research Center, has gained national attention in recent years for research into the beneficial properties of resveratrol, which is found in red wine.

It wasn't immediately known Wednesday whether the irregularities in Das' research were significant enough to alter the conclusions, but the cardiovascular benefits of resveratrol have also been established in other researchers' work.

Eleven scientific research journals that have published Das' work are being notified of the problems, which came to light after a three-year review sparked by an anonymous complaint in 2008 of potential irregularities in his research.

"We have a responsibility to correct the scientific record and inform peer researchers across the country," Philip Austin, interim vice president for health affairs, said in a written statement about the notifications to the 11 scientific journals.

The university's health center recently declined to accept $890,000 in federal grants awarded to Das as its review was under way, and has frozen all other external funding for his lab.

Dismissal proceedings have also been launched against Das, who has been employed by the Health Center since 1984 and was granted tenure in 1993. Das could not immediately be reached Wednesday, and messages were left for him through the union representing him.

Das' other specialty areas besides resveratrol include medicines derived from plants, the molecular structure of plants and herbs and their effect on heart disease, and a nutrient found in Vitamin E that has shown promise fighting free radicals.

He also gained attention in 2009 after publishing a study that concluded crushed garlic provided protection for heart health than processed garlic.

The U.S. Office of Research Integrity received the anonymous tip about potential irregularities in a paper by Das about resveratrol and notified UConn, which set up a special review committee that reviewed six years' worth of his work.

Its report found what it called "a pervasive attitude of disregard within the (lab)" for commonly accepted scientific practices.

It also said there were so many problems— and over so many years — that the review board members "can only conclude that they were the result of intentional acts of data falsification and fabrication, designed to deceive."

Some examples included several cases in which data was digitally altered; data from one experiment was used to justify findings in another; and controls from one experiment were used to denote another experiment's controls, which are the unchanged factors against which experiments are compared.

Austin, the UConn health affairs vice president, said they are "deeply disappointed by the flagrant disregard" for UConn's conduct codes, but grateful that the anonymous tipster notified authorities.

"The abuses in one lab do not reflect the overall performance of the Health Center's biomedical research enterprise, which continues to pursue advances in treatments and cures with the utmost of integrity," Austin said. "We demand full compliance with all research standards and policies by our faculty and staff."

The disclosure comes less than a week after Connecticut authorities finalized an agreement with a Maine-based lab to build a genomic research facility at the UConn Health Center in Farmington as part of a broader plan to expand the medical and dental schools and boost research.

Das' research pre-dates those plans by several years, and is not directly part of the genomic research program.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Bad science makes me so angry.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Thanks for the post. Geeze.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Well, dang.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if science actually was the pursuit of truth?

I was about to take a Res. What to do? What to do?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Was Dr. Das the main researcher behind all the claims of benefits from resveratrol? I know that Dr. Johnson claims there were studies showing the benefits, but I didn't see the actual studies to which he referred.

In other words, maybe there are benefits from resveratrol?
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Was Dr. Das the main researcher behind all the claims of benefits from resveratrol? I know that Dr. Johnson claims there were studies showing the benefits, but I didn't see the actual studies to which he referred.

In other words, maybe there are benefits from resveratrol?
I strongly suspect that all the studies showing the benefits were those run by this Das jerk.

And call me a skeptic, but I also strongly suspect the biggest benefit from resveratrol is that it doesn't hurt you to consume it.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Well it still should be a decent anti-oxidant? There have been a lot of other studies over the years that say various colored fruits and veggies have a load of nutritional benefits. Grape extract should be the same, I'd think.
It's a shame something like this has to muddy the waters when consumers just want the truth.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #9

I just hate it when somebody in research gets some idea and then sets out to prove it:

Ah, in countries where they are known (even stereotypically) to drink a lot of red wine, like... oh... say France... they have a lower incidence of heart attack than we do in the U.S. !! I'll bet it's something in the red wine that makes the difference.

And then they pursue that bright single idea they've manufactured in their own head, and *prove* it. By whatever little means necessary. By hook or by crook... they get the study results they're after, and prove that they were right! Great breakthrough!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
And call me a skeptic, but I also strongly suspect the biggest benefit from resveratrol is that it doesn't hurt you to consume it.
I strongly suspect that the biggest benefit of Resveratrol is lining the pockets of those who make health claims and sell the stuff.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
This is disheartening for research. It's hard enough as a consumer when it seems like one study says this, another study says the opposite (example - eggs are bad. No, eggs are good.)

I never took resv. as a supplement, but I sure have supplemented it via vino!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 19, 2011
Good to know - I was considering adding it to my supplement line-up.
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I ran across Das' name many times when I researched res. Which puts it's status as a particularly wonderful anti-oxidant in question too. When will science learn that the point is not to prove what you have already decided is true???
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SillverOrchid
Stats: Highest weight 214\209.5/180/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 13 Restart
Yep so glad I didnt buy it, I do have a multi with it in there but will consider it an antioxidant lol
SillverOrchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I ran across Das' name many times when I researched res. Which puts it's status as a particularly wonderful anti-oxidant in question too. When will science learn that the point is not to prove what you have already decided is true???
Real science doesn't work this way and real, ethical scientist don't work this way. The worst part of things like this is it makes the general public doubt the scientific method and how it is supposed to work. Grrr...again, bad science makes me so angry!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: belfrybat
WOE: Lowish carb (formerly on Protein Power)
It is unfortunate that this happened, but from a couple of articles I read, other research also found benefits from taking in extra resveratrol, so I would stop if you are already taking it. I take mine in a glass or two of red wine a night, and I'm not about to stop!
belfrybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/154.6/149 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I actually work at UConn (it's a huge institution and I have no connection with this individual!) and this sent shock waves through the entire community yesterday. Shocking, dangerous and irresponsible
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I drank red wine before I heard about reversatrols. I'll continue drinking it.

But I'm glad I didn't invest in supplements. What a shame that scientists would falsify data like that. But then, that's why studies are published; so other scientists can duplicate the experiments and see if they get the same results. Science isn't exact, and one study (or multiple studies by the same group) does not a science fact make.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
I actually work at UConn (it's a huge institution and I have no connection with this individual!) and this sent shock waves through the entire community yesterday. Shocking, dangerous and irresponsible
I'm sorry.