Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/154/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Anyone just go ahead and try a total fast for DD?

I am so tempted to try it. Today I didn't eat anything until 8:30 pm and I was really feeling like it might be interesting to try it. I'm not sure what positive would have come from it, other than to be able to say I tried it. But maybe complete fasting would have some benefit. So, I was wondering if anyone's had experience with NO calories on a DD...
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I am working up to it.

Sunday I stayed on liquids all day (including 300 calories worth of hwc and cream cheese spread out across the day). Ate a 200 calorie meal at the end of the day, then regretted it because I really wasn't hungry and the food felt like lead in my tummy.

My plan is to get used to liquid only DDs, then transition away from the fats into coffee, tea, and water...to the extent I continue to feel good.

Don't expect me to report great success any time soon. A family medical emergency keeps turning my UDs into DDs. GOT to get that JUDDD pattern going!

Complete fasting on DDs has potential for phenomenal health benefits. Testing with mammals up to and including humans has shown all kinds of improvements in internal organs and is strongly associated with an extended, healthy lifespan.

I hope Pat sees this and gives us the real deal info about why the lower we go on DD, the better off we are.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-10-2012 at 03:24 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i have done it...wasn't any harder than doing a regular DD b/c i generally only eat one meal a day on a DD. and that one meal is 300cals or below. rarely 400 but never above that.
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
Seems like when I read the "Alternate Day Diet," the only reason he specified a calorie number for DD's was because he didn't think many people would be willing to do a total fast every other day. He wouldn't have many followers (he probably thought) if people felt like they couldn't eat AT ALL for a whole day.

But otherwise, from what I got out of the book, a complete fast every other day would actually be preferred.

On a related - but not identical -subject, have you seen the movie Fat Head? If so, you know who Tom Naughton is, and that he was a bit chubby in the movie. When I visited with him on the LC Cruise last May, he was rail thin. I asked him what he had done to make the difference, and his immediate answer was: Intermittent Fasting. Now, I don't know exactly to what detail he followed IF (whether it was all day, or only limited his eating to a small window....) and it was not in the context of JUDDD because he does eat pretty low carb, but still. I know that there are benefits to IF, and I think I will probably be working my way in that direction as well.

What I have discovered, in the short time I've been on JUDDD, is that once I get started eating on my DD's, it seems to be harder to control than if I didn't eat at all (fortunately, I am big on planning, so I never enter a DD without knowing exactly what is available for me to eat on that day). But I'm a big sissy when it comes to being hungry (at least so far) so it appears there might be some benefit to just skipping food entirely on DD's.

The only other thought I have about it, though is: are you sure that's okay to do with your Type 1? You seem in control of it, so I don't want to go too far with that thought, but it was my first reaction when I saw your siggie....
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I've fasted on DD's using broth, so keeping it under 100 calories, and it wasn't too bad.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
I have fasted every DD since November 9th. I stop eating by 7:30pm on UD, have a black coffee at 5am DD morning and have a diet swiss miss at 8pm DD evening. That gives me a full 24 hours with essentially no calories (black coffee doesn't count when fasting from what I have read) and then 25 cals after the 24 hour period. I really don't need the diet swiss miss but, it's become a sort of ritual.

I started JUDDD at 500 DD cals because I was worried that I couldn't do the 340 that the calculator gave me. I had 470 cals my first DD, 3 something my second DD and only 2 something my third DD. I didn't eat until around dinner time as I've always been a late eater. I like to joke it's because I was born at 7:27pm so I've always had breakfast for dinner syndrome. I found that when I eat I turn on the hunger so not eating keeps it turned off.

The biggest drawback for me has been that I have such appetite suppression that I have trouble making my UD cals unless I have breakfast which I don't always have the time or inclination to do. Also, I noticed that the bounce on the scale is more dramatic for me. I believe it is becasue there is such a large difference between the two days caloric intake. My UD = 2400 DD (counting everything) = 27.5.

Obvious benefits? I don't have to even think about what I'm going to eat on DDs ... makes it very convenient and of course inexpensive. And I have lost a total of 19lbs since Nov.1 JUDDDing. This comes after I stalled on VLC after just the initial water weight loss. I eat anything and everything I want on UDs and so far have done well doing it with no symptoms of sensitivity, weight stall or gain. I can't speak to the benefit of living longer .... yet

I love JUDDD and now that I am thinking about how I will maintain, I am considering giving up my fasting DDs as I will need more cals to maintain and certainly won't be adding anymore to my UDs. I just can't eat that much!

I've had some issues recently with weight loss slowing. Some may be because I am at goal weight but part is because I have been so busy these last 2 weeks that I haven't had time to eat to my UD cals during the week. I've been WAY under and a couple of days only made it to around 800 cals (not good for me). I've noticed I just sort of bounce in a small window of weight during the week but on the weekends when I can make my UD cals is when my weight drops.

Sorry so long winded and have to run. Hope that gives you some of the info you were looking for.
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
I did a full fast last Saturday, without intending to do so. I did have 20 calories in the way of broth, but that was it.

I usually don't start eating until the afternoon, and when that time came, I didn't feel any urge to eat, and thought...well, let's see how I feel with a total fast. I realized it was more than doable, I actually preferred it.

My following UD, I also was not hungry and could have gone even further with the fasting, but I knew better, so did get my UD calories in.

I also shed 2.4 lbs, but that is a one time event, I'm sure. Who knows, maybe not.

My plan is to try and fast at least once a week, maybe more!

I normally eat within a four hour window, most days.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

When you think about it, fasting on occasion isn't really all that unusual....one thing I have done is just pretend I had a medical "procedure" for the next day and the doc said don't eat. That made it pretty easy, actually.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
..........But otherwise, from what I got out of the book, a complete fast every other day would actually be preferred.

On a related - but not identical -subject, have you seen the movie Fat Head? If so, you know who Tom Naughton is, and that he was a bit chubby in the movie. When I visited with him on the LC Cruise last May, he was rail thin. I asked him what he had done to make the difference, and his immediate answer was: Intermittent Fasting. Now, I don't know exactly to what detail he followed IF (whether it was all day, or only limited his eating to a small window....) and it was not in the context of JUDDD because he does eat pretty low carb, but still...........
Absolutely a complete fast is OK for DDs, would even be preferred and probably speed up weight loss and the whole host of health benefits we are blesses with as the result of fasting. So just not eating anything at all on DDs is perfectly fine.

As to Tom Naughton, you said his weight loss "..was not in the context of JUDDD because he does eat pretty low carb.." and I do want to point out that it could have been 100% JUDDD if he has chosen, because JUDDD can be done very, very low carb if somebody chooses to remain on that diet choice. JUDDD doesn't care what the food choices are.. only the calorie consumption of those food choices. Just wanted to point that out. Some here remain pretty darned low carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
..........I have fasted every DD since November 9th. I stop eating by 7:30pm on UD, have a black coffee at 5am DD morning and have a diet swiss miss at 8pm DD evening. That gives me a full 24 hours with essentially no calories (black coffee doesn't count when fasting from what I have read) and then 25 cals after the 24 hour period..........

I started JUDDD at 500 DD cals because I was worried that I couldn't do the 340 that the calculator gave me. I had 470 cals my first DD, 3 something my second DD and only 2 something my third DD. I didn't eat until around dinner time as I've always been a late eater. I like to joke it's because I was born at 7:27pm so I've always had breakfast for dinner syndrome. I found that when I eat I turn on the hunger so not eating keeps it turned off.

The biggest drawback for me has been that I have such appetite suppression that I have trouble making my UD cals unless I have breakfast which I don't always have the time or inclination to do. Also, I noticed that the bounce on the scale is more dramatic for me. I believe it is becasue there is such a large difference between the two days caloric intake. My UD = 2400 DD (counting everything) = 27.5.

Obvious benefits? I don't have to even think about what I'm going to eat on DDs ... makes it very convenient and of course inexpensive. And I have lost a total of 19lbs since Nov.1 JUDDDing. This comes after I stalled on VLC after just the initial water weight loss. I eat anything and everything I want on UDs and so far have done well doing it with no symptoms of sensitivity, weight stall or gain. I can't speak to the benefit of living longer .... yet

I've had some issues recently with weight loss slowing. Some may be because I am at goal weight but part is because I have been so busy these last 2 weeks that I haven't had time to eat to my UD cals during the week. I've been WAY under and a couple of days only made it to around 800 cals (not good for me). I've noticed I just sort of bounce in a small window of weight during the week but on the weekends when I can make my UD cals is when my weight drops.
Some great points here, Lori. I did want to point out that the length of your fasting period is considered to be about 36 hours though, rather than the 24 you alluded to, because it is considered to run from the evening of suppertime at the end of your UD, through all of that night, through all of your DD, and through all of that next night also until the first meal of your next UD... and if that isn't breakfast by about 7:00 or so.. your fasting period is running even longer!

Since the benefit of fasting is triggered BY the fasting, it's important to understand that the true part of the fasting doesn't even kick in for 12 to 24 hours after your last meal until your body has completely utilized and run out of consumed food, so the 36 hours of normal JUDDD fills that bill well. If you don't have your fasting period stretch out long enough, you tend to be refilling your food fuel before your body has completely run out and actually aren't triggering much *fast* at all. But your fast is lasting much longer than a 24-hour period, so that will be benefiting you extremely well, I think.

And I agree with you about that first meal during fasting seeming to trigger the appetite to kick in again. Folks here often advise the newer JUDDDers to try holding off to see if they are one who also have this happen for them. If so, it makes it a little easier... the DD can seem a little *shorter* that way. LOL

I do hope you will be able to get your UD calories up shortly, both from the standpoint of nutrition amounts to care for your health, since we are cutting so much nutrition amount by not eating, we have to make sure we actually do eat nutritionally well on our UDs to make up for it. Doesn't mean a lot, necessarily, but very nutritionally dense.

You said you have recently had some issue with weight loss slowing, and though you are close to goal, that really shouldn't be the reason since I believe your calories are still very much in the weight loss range. I believe this is from a slowing down of your metabolism because of those low Up Day calories too, combined with your DD fasts. I'm afraid you are triggering your metabolism slowdown by not even getting enough on UDs, so metabolism is slowing in response. I do know that it will usually pop back up pretty well after a protective/defensive slow down like this, at least if it operates like it is supposed to, but for so many of us who had sluggish metabolisms to begin with (else why would we have ever got so fat to begin with?) our metabolisms don't ever pop back up quite as well.

If you can increase your UD calories a bit better and keep the fasting/feasting cycle pounding your metabolism up, up against the UD calorie ceiling every other day, I think you may be delighted in the long run to find you have lost the weight quickly without sacrificing any metabolic function for your maintenance. But I'm a worrier, so maybe I worry too much. Since most of us have somewhat poor metabolic function to begin with, I just don't want any of us to trash that function even more as we lose the weight, intoxicating as fast weight loss can be. Woo Hoo!

You are doing a fabulous job with JUDDD, by the way, and you are inspiring me to try some full-day fasts too, which I've never done. Uhhhh..... we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-10-2012 at 07:03 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
As to Tom Naughton, you said his weight loss "..was not in the context of JUDDD because he does eat pretty low carb.." and I do want to point out that it could have been 100% JUDDD if he has chosen, because JUDDD can be done very, very low carb if somebody chooses to remain on that diet choice. JUDDD doesn't care what the food choices are.. only the calorie consumption of those food choices. Just wanted to point that out. Some here remain pretty darned low carb.
Oh yes, I know he COULD have done it JUDDD. I just know that he didn't, at least not intentionally. There IS the aspect that if you do intermittent fasting, you are going to have some calorie cycling, but from what Tom told me, his food intake wasn't deliberately JUDDD in that he didn't figure maintenance calories for his weight, then do a 20% of maintenance day, followed by an Up Day. He just ate low carb, with some periods of fasting.

In fact, like **most** low carbers, Tom pays virtually no attention to calories.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Oh yes, I know he COULD have done it JUDDD. I just know that he didn't, at least not intentionally. There IS the aspect that if you do intermittent fasting, you are going to have some calorie cycling, but from what Tom told me, his food intake wasn't deliberately JUDDD in that he didn't figure maintenance calories for his weight, then do a 20% of maintenance day, followed by an Up Day. He just ate low carb, with some periods of fasting.

In fact, like **most** low carbers, Tom pays virtually no attention to calories.
Yes. LOL I just didn't know if you understood that somebody can eat completely low carb in the context of the JUDDD plan.

Since a lot of us add more carbs and some higher carb foods back into our diets when we do JUDDD, and people read about what we're eating on JUDDD, I think many of them here leap to the conclusion that JUDDD isn't a low carb plan, when, if fact, it isn't a plan that has anything to do with food choices at all and can be done as low carb/zero carb as a dieter would wish to remain.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I am working up to it.

Sunday I stayed on liquids all day (including 300 calories worth of hwc and cream cheese spread out across the day). Ate a 200 calorie meal at the end of the day, then regretted it because I really wasn't hungry and the food felt like lead in my tummy.
I was thinking of doing something like this, too -- lots of heavy cream to work up to it. I know that having several hundred calories worth of hwc is not a real fast in itself, but my body feels so different and much better when I do that, that I think it counts for something.

Quote:
What I have discovered, in the short time I've been on JUDDD, is that once I get started eating on my DD's, it seems to be harder to control than if I didn't eat at all (fortunately, I am big on planning, so I never enter a DD without knowing exactly what is available for me to eat on that day). But I'm a big sissy when it comes to being hungry (at least so far) so it appears there might be some benefit to just skipping food entirely on DD's.

The only other thought I have about it, though is: are you sure that's okay to do with your Type 1? You seem in control of it, so I don't want to go too far with that thought, but it was my first reaction when I saw your siggie....
I am the same way about not being hungry until I have eaten. I've taken to eating really late for both UDs and DDs. Unlike so many people here, though, I haven't had any trouble get all my calories in once I get started. I was a little scared that eating all of my calories in a short window would be bad for weight loss, but it seems okay.

I'm pretty used to fasting, just not for this long. Before I started JUDDD, I ate once a day. It's actually really awesome for my blood sugar. If you're not eating, there's nothing to push your blood sugar up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
I have fasted every DD since November 9th. I stop eating by 7:30pm on UD, have a black coffee at 5am DD morning and have a diet swiss miss at 8pm DD evening. That gives me a full 24 hours with essentially no calories (black coffee doesn't count when fasting from what I have read) and then 25 cals after the 24 hour period. I really don't need the diet swiss miss but, it's become a sort of ritual.

This all sounds great! I'd love to get into a routine of fasting DDs. Not having tried it yet, though, it seems hard to imagine getting through one. But that was true before I tried 24 hour fasting and 500 calorie DDs. They both sounded dreadful before I tried them.

I think it'll probably be a few days before I have the nerve to give this a try. But next time I have a DD like yesterday, where I'm fasted until late in the evening and still feeling good, I may just go for it.

I wonder, if I were to do it every down day, could I raise my UD calories by a couple hundred? I'm sure it'll take trial and error to answer that. My UP calories are not *so* up, imo. Right now they're 1880, but if I were to get down to 130 pounds they'd only be 15-something. I feel like I have to really watch my calories and eat less than I want to on my UD's now. I don't really get the whole "only dieting every other day" thing because there is never a time that I can eat to satisfaction. So, a couple of hundred extra on UD's would be really nice for me.

Pat, I didn't realize that it took the body so long to get into a real fasting mode. I do think there are huge benefits from 24 hour fasting, but that makes me really want to see what 36 hour fasting will be like.

ckd support group thread

gynema thread

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb, intermittent fasting
I have walked 162 miles since April 1.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
..........Pat, I didn't realize that it took the body so long to get into a real fasting mode. I do think there are huge benefits from 24 hour fasting, but that makes me really want to see what 36 hour fasting will be like..........
Aren't you doing JUDDD?

If you are following the JUDDD plan, you are withholding calories (except for your 500 or less) from the end of your UD.. all the way through that night.. and all the way through the following day (your DD).. and all the way through that night again.. until you finally eat for the first time on that next UD. So you're fasting for a night and a full day and another night. That's the approximate 36-hour JUDDD fasting period.

If you're doing JUDDD as designed, you're already doing that.

If you're doing another diet plan, that's when you wouldn't be. LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

I guess I was thinking of a fast as basically NO calories. I remember reading that the fast-5 guy (I think) says you can have some number of calories and still consider it a fast, but it was pretty low, like 25 or 50 in a day, or something along those lines.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
I am so tempted to try it. Today I didn't eat anything until 8:30 pm and I was really feeling like it might be interesting to try it. I'm not sure what positive would have come from it, other than to be able to say I tried it. But maybe complete fasting would have some benefit. So, I was wondering if anyone's had experience with NO calories on a DD...
I tried this twice--but, I get at MASSIVE headache around 2 PM. Does anyone know if I can have something very low in calories around this time to avoid the headache, and then fast for the rest of that DD? I would love to try it. On most DDs, I feel great; and other than the headache, I don't think I'd have that hard of a time fasting completely on a DD here and there.
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
I guess I was thinking of a fast as basically NO calories. I remember reading that the fast-5 guy (I think) says you can have some number of calories and still consider it a fast, but it was pretty low, like 25 or 50 in a day, or something along those lines.
I'd always thought of a fast as no food or beverage except water. Period. Well, when I ever thought of a fast at all. And then I started hearing about a juice fast and a fat fast, etc.

For JUDDD, Dr. Johnson has said the fasting day will trigger the awakening of a gene that will aid our metabolisms, SIRT1. But it was triggered in the face of fasting, but not awakened under a constant calorie bombardment. (And I think more recent research and study results have now found it isn't quite as simple as all that after all... far more genes, and a whole bunch more interactions necessary there, but anyway...)

But it was found that the fasting also triggered a vast number of health benefits exceeding just the hoped for awaking of SIRT1, AND it was found that these fasting benefits would still be expressed even if there was a little calorie intake after all. Yay!

So, the number *500* is pretty arbitrary, really.. I think it's a sort of *pulled out of the air* number, like when we're told our cholesterol number isn't to exceed *200* or that blood sugar should not exceed *100*. Apparently round numbers in the hundreds are very popular.

So for our purposes, a near fast works about as well as a total fast. And truthfully, if a total fast was actually required to make all the JUDDD benefits come to us, there would be very few JUDDDers!

So the lower calorie you can go on your DDs, the better, and the less you go much over 500, the better too. But for some of us, it's so hard to get our appetites under control, that we have to start a bit higher and work our way down. And that works too. And for the occasional one, they start out higher, and before they even get a chance to go lower, they've melted away so much weight that they're at goal already! LOL Hi, Linda!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
I tried this twice--but, I get at MASSIVE headache around 2 PM. Does anyone know if I can have something very low in calories around this time to avoid the headache, and then fast for the rest of that DD? I would love to try it. On most DDs, I feel great; and other than the headache, I don't think I'd have that hard of a time fasting completely on a DD here and there.
Maybe try a mug of hot broth, and a mug of hot plain tea, and the white only of a hard boiled egg. That will be quite a bit of stomach filling bulk, at least for a bit, plus a few calories and most of that will be from protein, and very, very low calories, and maybe that will do the trick!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Maybe try a mug of hot broth, and a mug of hot plain tea, and the white only of a hard boiled egg. That will be quite a bit of stomach filling bulk, at least for a bit, plus a few calories and most of that will be from protein, and very, very low calories, and maybe that will do the trick!
thanks!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
lol, my ancestors must have never had a 0 calorie day, or at least I like to think so! They would have chewed on some leaves and grass, or a big mouthful of dirt or bugs, worms, even sucked on some rocks or ice! So there would have been at least a few calories from *somewhere*!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I have got to about 8pm on just white coffee....about 80-100 calories...but if I dont eat, I get the most awful acid reflux...which gets worse at night...even on 450-500 cal DD's I still often get acid indegestion when I lie down!
Also...I get very hungry!
Anyone found any way around this?

hugs
Jo
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I wish I was this brave! I food and can't imagine not eating, even though I KNOW fasting is a good thing to do and I TOTALLY admire anyone who does this!!

Just wish I have the guts to try this! Maybe someday in the distant future, or even another lifetime!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-10-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
I have got to about 8pm on just white coffee....about 80-100 calories...but if I dont eat, I get the most awful acid reflux...which gets worse at night...even on 450-500 cal DD's I still often get acid indegestion when I lie down!
Also...I get very hungry!
Anyone found any way around this?

hugs
Jo
I do know from experience in my past that if you can get on PrilosecOTC (prescription generic is omeprazole) you can end this problem.

I used to have this all. the. time. and always had to eat a lot of antiacids, etc. and even they didn't do much to help. There were times when I was having trouble even when I was upright and lying down brought on reflux acid pain every single night! Awful!

The Prilosec OTC got to be pretty expensive, and it seemed like the one a day dose wasn't quite enough even then. My doctor gave me the prescription for the cheaper generic drug, said to take one at morning and one at evening, and referred me to a gastroenterologist for further workup.

The gastro doc said some people are far more inclined to this because of how their *valve* between stomach and esophagus works.. or doesn't work very well. Think babies who can have milk come back up about as easily as it went down. In some of us, that valve doesn't grow as strong as it should. Or becomes weakened. Etc. Some of us can't drink coffee. Some of us can't drink tomato juice. Etc.

It is strange, but I don't seem to have much of that ever happen anymore. I rarely have to take medicine these months. I don't see how JUDDD could possibly have had anything to do with it, and yet I don't have troubles with reflux or GERD anymore, so who knows?

I hope this will resolve for you, but in the meantime, I'd love it if your doc would prescribe the omeprazole or some such for you to take too. Like I said, morning and evening for me did the trick 100%. At least you can see what your doc has to say about it. Hugs!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I think I might totally fast for today's dd. Its 2:30 and I haven't eaten yet. We'll see.

I hate the JUDDD calculator for calories, so I'm doing my own numbers. I figure if I don't eat any on the down days, that's 500-600 more I can eat on up days. Yipee!

I am figuring my calories needs (at goal) to be 1800/day. So that's what I'm giving myself for 2 days worth of calories (3600). I was figuring 600 for down days and 3000 for up days.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
It's almost 5pm and I've had nothing today but water and a diet coke. I'm not planning on completely fasting all day but we'll see how it goes, on my last DD I was fine until 6pm and at that point I HAD TO EAT NOW NOW NOW. I have to do groceries at 6pm so I'm kind of worried that if I don't eat first I might get that feeling while AT the grocery store, so maybe I'll eat something before I go.
Hazelsmrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post
I think I might totally fast for today's dd. Its 2:30 and I haven't eaten yet. We'll see.

I hate the JUDDD calculator for calories, so I'm doing my own numbers. I figure if I don't eat any on the down days, that's 500-600 more I can eat on up days. Yipee!

I am figuring my calories needs (at goal) to be 1800/day. So that's what I'm giving myself for 2 days worth of calories (3600). I was figuring 600 for down days and 3000 for up days.
Hmmm....I am thinking this is not a good thing (in bold). It's not really the JUDDD way to help the "magic" to work, and from reading the book I don't see it mentioned that we can add our DD calories to our UD calories if we don't eat them (fast on DDs).

I could be wrong here, and I'm hoping someone chimes in to give an expert answer or even a better educated one. I have read the book several times but have not seen this way of doing UDs/DDs mentioned.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyStarched View Post

May I ask what it is that you hate about the JUDDD calculator for calories. And if you've figured your numbers using any of the other available calculators on the many online sites?

So if you are doing your own figures, and you figure 1800 calories per day, and you're going to eat 3600 calories every two days, where will your calorie deficit come from? It looks like you are still eating 1800 calories per day, just more on one day and less on the other, but still averaging 1800 per day.

But, maybe I'm wrong and you are a Guy with 3000 calories for Up Days, (which is still very high, even for a guy LOL) and the avi name of LightlyStarched makes me think of my dad's white shirts.

Good luck in doing it with your own figures, and we will be cheering you on! If you run into any troubles, holler, and in the meantime, post often with us! Welcome to JUDDD!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I do know from experience in my past that if you can get on PrilosecOTC (prescription generic is omeprazole) you can end this problem.

I used to have this all. the. time. and always had to eat a lot of antiacids, etc. and even they didn't do much to help. There were times when I was having trouble even when I was upright and lying down brought on reflux acid pain every single night! Awful!

The Prilosec OTC got to be pretty expensive, and it seemed like the one a day dose wasn't quite enough even then. My doctor gave me the prescription for the cheaper generic drug, said to take one at morning and one at evening, and referred me to a gastroenterologist for further workup.

The gastro doc said some people are far more inclined to this because of how their *valve* between stomach and esophagus works.. or doesn't work very well. Think babies who can have milk come back up about as easily as it went down. In some of us, that valve doesn't grow as strong as it should. Or becomes weakened. Etc. Some of us can't drink coffee. Some of us can't drink tomato juice. Etc.

It is strange, but I don't seem to have much of that ever happen anymore. I rarely have to take medicine these months. I don't see how JUDDD could possibly have had anything to do with it, and yet I don't have troubles with reflux or GERD anymore, so who knows?

I hope this will resolve for you, but in the meantime, I'd love it if your doc would prescribe the omeprazole or some such for you to take too. Like I said, morning and evening for me did the trick 100%. At least you can see what your doc has to say about it. Hugs!
If it keeps on happening I will ask my doctor about these!
I am afraid it is my own fault ..20+ years of intermittant bulimia has probable weakened the valve you mentioned. Ironic that my problems are starting now, after 10 months purge free!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
If it keeps on happening I will ask my doctor about these!
I am afraid it is my own fault ..20+ years of intermittant bulimia has probable weakened the valve you mentioned. Ironic that my problems are starting now, after 10 months purge free!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

jo
x
I know. Sorry.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Well I tried, but only made it until 8pm I wasn't actually feeling hunger pangs or anything, but I was feeling tired and a bit shaky so time to eat!
Hazelsmrf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
32 cals today and it's the lowest I've ever gone. I have no trouble eating my UD cals ever and it's almost easier for me to not eat anything than to eat just a little so I think I will be doing this more regularly! 6 cups of green tea, 1 piece of SF gum, 1 cup of chicken broth and I feel good!
avecrain is offline   Reply With Quote