Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   So....what's up with the... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/753013-so-whats-up.html)

2BoysMom 01-09-2012 11:13 PM

So....what's up with the...

Gastrointestinal distress. This is my second DD and I have had this issue both days....is this typical? If so, does it eventually go away?

MintQ8 01-09-2012 11:57 PM

Don't think I've had it. Not much help I know!

Hope someone else can help. Feel better!

gharkness 01-10-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BoysMom (Post 15313424)
Gastrointestinal distress. This is my second DD and I have had this issue both days....is this typical? If so, does it eventually go away?

What did you eat? If you had something that contained a lot of fiber (like oat fiber, for example), that could be the reason.

I had quite a bit of gas yesterday after eating a biggie muffin made mostly out of oat fiber....but it was only a bit annoying, not painful. What's going on with you? Pain...or "just" gas?

Alcestis 01-10-2012 05:07 AM

This happened to me too, and it did go away after a couple of days. I think it was my body adjusting (just my experience, of course).

KeirasMom 01-10-2012 05:13 AM

I had issues with the OMM. I tried one on Saturday made without Erythritol and no problems. I tried the original one again with Erythritol yesterday, and had a horrible time.

We're all sensitive to different things. For me, I'm pretty sure I can't eat Erythritol, though it's supposed to be one of the easier sweeteners, and I don't have problems with the others. It's too bad, cause that muffin is GREAT!

Any radical change in diet can cause GI distress, so you just kind of have to play around and see what works for you.

gharkness 01-10-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

I had issues with the OMM. I tried one on Saturday made without Erythritol and no problems. I tried the original one again with Erythritol yesterday, and had a horrible time.
Wow, that's unusual, but shouldn't deter you.

Just switch the sweetener to one that works for you. I have made the OMM any number of times and still haven't gotten around to using erythritol (I almost always use liquid sweeteners, and didn't see any good reason not to use them with the OMM, too.)

2BoysMom 01-10-2012 06:37 AM

No - not a lot of fiber, just a lot of protein....and it is not gas, just, um.....unusual bathroom activity and last night big time cramping. And it is really only on DD's.

Perhap it is just my body adjusting, but I hope it does it fast - ugh!

Knittering 01-10-2012 06:44 AM

I had tummy troubles my first few days on JUDDD too, but I have the same thing every time I make a significant change in my diet. By the third DD I was okay again. I hope it's the same for you. :)

SillverOrchid 01-10-2012 07:09 AM

I had that same issue yesterday on my furst DD :o it went away by late afternoon or so..

Majella 01-10-2012 07:47 AM

I have that on down days if the gaps between meals is too large. But my gallbladder was removed last year and it's only started happening after that. I just plan around it now :) Hope it eases up for you though

SoHappy 01-10-2012 07:55 AM

The only person I heard have this complain found it was caused by some fiber product.. I think husks (?) that was added into a muffin, I think. Lots of bloat and gas and discomfort for a day or two until that error got undone. And never again.

Other than that, I've never experienced any problem nor heard of any problems others have had. But hope you feel better fast.

gharkness 01-10-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

fiber product.. I think husks (?)
Probably psyllium husks...they can really do a number on ya if your body isn't used to them. I do believe they are mentioned in the biggie muffin (sorry; I can't remember the 'real' name of it, but that's what I call it).

If that's not what you are referring to, then I don't know of any other 'husks.'

SoHappy 01-10-2012 08:22 AM

I'm not really sure it was even husks... but was some fiber addition for sure. I know Beeb knows what I'm talking about. Maybe she'll remember what the offending ingredient was.

DeeLen 01-10-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 15314019)
I had tummy troubles my first few days on JUDDD too, but I have the same thing every time I make a significant change in my diet. By the third DD I was okay again.

THIS ^^

Speck333 01-10-2012 09:57 AM

I did and identified it was the bouillion based broth I was making my "down day soup" with. I don't know if was the salt content being so high, or the fact that there is MSG in it (!), but I stopped using it and switched to boxed broth, and no issues.

kris4chloe 01-10-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15314736)
I did and identified it was the bouillion based broth I was making my "down day soup" with. I don't know if was the salt content being so high, or the fact that there is MSG in it (!), but I stopped using it and switched to boxed broth, and no issues.

Speck I just checked, mine has MSG in it and I am slapping my self for not realizing that sooner. I usually am so good about avoiding it, but for some reason neglected to look at the ingredients on this.

Which boxed broth are you using??

Speck333 01-10-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris4chloe (Post 15315923)
Speck I just checked, mine has MSG in it and I am slapping my self for not realizing that sooner. I usually am so good about avoiding it, but for some reason neglected to look at the ingredients on this.

Which boxed broth are you using??

Last week DH came home with Swanson's brand. This week he came home with Stater Bros. store brand which has a tiny bit of sugar in it. Since the Swanson's is all gone, I went a-googling to see if I could find the ingredients listed online... and get this... both of these broths contain yeast extract, which is, apparently, basically the same thing as MSG (in a different form). Just makes me want to stop eating entirely, even water isn't safe. It's overwhelming, I tell ya.

This sent me on an online quest to find chicken stock or broth without msg, yeast extract or sugar... Kitchen Basics brand doesn't have the first two, but has honey, which is listed pretty far down the list. I will ask DH to get that one next week.