Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Gluten/Wheat free products?

I'm trying to steer clear of wheat products, though I have upped my formerly LC diet to more moderate carbs on now that I do JUDDD.

I've been having such a craving for a PB & Jelly sandwich, or even an occasional grilled cheese on an UD. Anyone find a good gluten/wheat free bread that they like? I've seen some of the Udi (I think that's the brand) products at my grocery store. They're really expensive, but I'd be willing to splurge occasionally if I knew they were any good.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I hope there are others here who can offer their reviews and suggestions. Wish I could help.

I have no sensitivities or intolerances to wheat at all and feel comfortable including wheat products in my diet.

I'm sorry the alternate flour breads are so expensive. Have you thought of the possibility of baking your own at home from scratch? A bread machine could do all the mixing for you, and even the baking if you don't mind loaves in the shape of your bread pan.

Hope others can offer advice.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I just send Chona a message. She is gluten free because of Celiac and knows lots of good products to use. I'm sure she will chime in here soon and give a helping hand!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am allergic to wheat and I used to buy a bread at the health food store made from millet. It was pretty good. I know nothing about gluten free though. But I have discovered that I can eat sprouted grain bread like Ezekial so that is what I buy when I use bread which is rarely.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gharkness
WOE: RNY Gastric Bypass 02-02-2007
My go-to "bread"

1 T. coconut flour
2 T. parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1/3 tsp. caraway seeds (entirely optional)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (optional, but improves texture)

Stir these together to get rid of any lumps. Then, add

1 egg or 1/3 C egg beaters
1 tsp. your favorite kind of oil

Stir this in and allow to thicken for a minute. You will need to add a little more water, but not too much. You want it to be thick enough so that when you put it in the cooking container you will have to whack the container on the counter a couple of times to flatten it out.

Scrape into a round, flattish bowl, or one of those bread-shaped containers, and nuke on high for about 1 minute 20. Upend onto clean paper towel to cool a couple minutes and slice in half to make two pieces.

This is the ONLY bread sub I have ever really liked (except for my chocolate bread that I use to make pb and jelly sandwiches with). You can toast it, use it for grilled cheese, make a sausage-egg-cheese-biscuit with it, and once you have the ingredients, it's less than 5 minutes from "I wish I had a sandwich" to "yummy"!

Even my daughter, who makes fun of every "special" bread I make, likes this one.
gharkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

Georgene, this will be good for folks to know about, especially those whose mouth still wants bread but whose gut is bothered by it!

Could you do a copy and paste of this recipe for our Recipe thread sticky up at the top of the page? I think there might be others who would benefit from this recipe.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Georgene, this will be good for folks to know about, especially those whose mouth still wants bread but whose gut is bothered by it!

Could you do a copy and paste of this recipe for our Recipe thread sticky up at the top of the page? I think there might be others who would benefit from this recipe.
Sure, I'll do that this evening when I get home. I'll add the chocolate bread recipe, too.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: majomor
my "go to " bread

Well I just made this with the Carraway seeds, and doubled the recipe .
That was not my plan , but I mistakenly added 1/4 tsp of the spices.
I whipped up the egg with the oil separately.
Then put it in a bottom of a glass loaf Pyrex dish and nuked it for double the time (because I doubled all the ingredients).
Fabulous!!!
It looks just like bread with the tiny holes to hold lots of butter when I cut it in half and toasted it!
So great to have a piece of bread without the insulin Highs I get from wheat bread!
And the best thing was that , I am at high altitude in Canada, with no humidity and it worked!!!!
A big Thank you to gharkness.:-)
majomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, seriously? I am so glad it worked out for you! Now I'm going to have to check when I get home and see if I can figure out the original source of this recipe, so I can give actual credit.

Thanks so much for letting me know and I hope you enjoy your "bread"!!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
I'm trying to steer clear of wheat products, though I have upped my formerly LC diet to more moderate carbs on now that I do JUDDD.

I've been having such a craving for a PB & Jelly sandwich, or even an occasional grilled cheese on an UD. Anyone find a good gluten/wheat free bread that they like? I've seen some of the Udi (I think that's the brand) products at my grocery store. They're really expensive, but I'd be willing to splurge occasionally if I knew they were any good.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments?
UDI's...only brand to buy. I am GF too. Happy to share tips.
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chona
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: November 8, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I am allergic to wheat and I used to buy a bread at the health food store made from millet. It was pretty good. I know nothing about gluten free though. But I have discovered that I can eat sprouted grain bread like Ezekial so that is what I buy when I use bread which is rarely.
FYI, Ezekiel isn't GF. If you're GF, like me, you have to really stick to only GF breads, like UDI's or Chebe (mix, but excellent). The latter is the best for pizza dough and even rolls. You can buy it in most regular grocery stores. Good Luck!
Chona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

Please, a question, Pat! The only recipe thread I see is for DD recipes....this is not necessarily a DD recipe. It's a gluten-free recipe. Is there another place I can put it because it's not necessarily all that low in calories....
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Referring to Udi and Chebe, we can't get those in Canada , or we would have to order online, which would be expensive. I know as I have friends who order as treats due to the cost.
The upside of GF bread seems to be the fact that it is not addictive like wheat flours, so you tend not to over indulge! That being said, a half slice of GF bread like that made in a bread machine of The gluten free goddess, is nice to have on hand when the cravings are there....not saying that those GF flours are low carb as they are "not"!
I do make spelt sourdough with a spelt starter for my DH as he has to have this !..which I ferment for 13 hours and use less than 2 cups of flour for one loaf...which reduces the carbs for him way more than store bought bread.

So it was great to whip up the "go to" bread of gharkness as it is definitely low carb! For me!...and inexpensive and fresh 'and' I had all the fixings in my pantry as they were relatively simple ones...the biggest attraction for me.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharkness View Post
Please, a question, Pat! The only recipe thread I see is for DD recipes....this is not necessarily a DD recipe. It's a gluten-free recipe. Is there another place I can put it because it's not necessarily all that low in calories....
You know.. we seem to always have had various recipe threads here. At one time three separate threads were combined into a single thread, and then somebody wanted a thread of only DD recipes, so that one got started too.

And it's obvious that truthfully, we only really use one thread, no matter which one it is. LOL
And finally, every recipe gets buried so deeply that it's almost impossible to ever find again anyway.

I think you should just go ahead and post this recipe in the Down Day Recipes thread, tell folks to be aware that it is intended more as a help to those who are wheat/gluten sensitive, and not necessarily low calories for DDs.. for them to judge their own needs for themselves.

It sounds like it works very, very well for a *bread* and when the specialty non-wheat non-gluten breads are pretty expensive, this will be a welcome recipe for some.

I think you should just go ahead and post it.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

OK, just didn't want to do something "wrong."

Heading over there now, and thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JJLove
Stats: 5'5" 168/168/150
WOE: Low Carb/No Gluten/No Processed
Start Date: March 2012
Thank you for some of the great bread ideas. I just found out that I do not have Celiac disease after having my small intestine biopsied.
I am going gluten free to see if I feel better anyway. My gastroenterologist said "you may have a gluten sensitivity and if you feel better avoiding gluten, then it would make sense for you to continue to avoid it as much as possible."
JJLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
The only gluten free breads I have ever had that I liked were sweeter quick breads (shocker!) I make them sometimes for my celiac nephew. Everyone loves them, but they aren't really the right texture for a sammy. I think pb would make the bread fall apart. Have heard good things about UDI for a commercial bread but never tried it.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I tried this recipe of Jennifer Eloff's and it was really, really good. I made it with my 22 mth old granddaughter in mind because wheat breaks her out in a rash. I'm copying the whole thing here since Jenn sells her cookbooks on her site and I can't link it. I'll put the Gluten-Free Bake Mix recipe at the end. (Her Foccacia Bread recipe is wonderful, too!)

SANDWICH BREAD

This bread is great for sandwiches, but even more wonderful toasted in a regular toaster or on the barbecue. It has the characteristics of an English muffin where it has a more absorbent surface (cut side) for butter and peanut butter, low-sugar jam or a little honey and cheese. Such a treat! You can even make grilled cheese sandwiches with a toasted cheese maker.

This is the recipe I mentioned and that some of you have been waiting for. I hope very much that you enjoy this recipe as much as what we do. It is a staple for us and so nice to have a whole loaf of our bread in the refrigerator. Not only that, the ingredients are so healthy - think about it - eggs (protein), almonds (heart healthy), oat flour (heart healthy) and fiber (heart healthy) and some good fats for satiety. You will not be eating too much bread as it satiates quickly and there are no cravings afterwards.

UPDATE: This bread is a bit on the savory side, so if you would like a more neutral taste - leave out the Parmesan cheese and the salt - much lower in sodium too.

12 oz regular cream cheese, softened (375 g)
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix, (500 mL)
page___
1/2 cup almond meal, OR almond flour (125 mL)
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (45 mL)
11/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (500 mL)

Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line large cookie sheet, 14.5 x 23 inches (37 x 58 cm), with foil and grease well.

In food processor, process cream cheese. Add eggs and vanilla extract; process well on low speed. In medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, page___, almond meal, OR almond flour, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to cream cheese mixture and process until thickened. Add cheese and process until incorporated.

Drop batter in huge blobs on the foil. Take a large piece of plastic wrap and press out the batter to fill the cookie sheet evenly. Keep picking the plastic up and moving it around as needed to squish the batter. Once the whole cookie sheet is covered, use the back of a large spoon to make sure it is as even as possible. (If you wear glasses for reading, I recommend wearing them.) Bake approximately 25 minutes, or until browning on top. Allow to cool. Divide the bread into 5 (for the longer side) x 3 sections. The bread will be about the same size as a standard piece of bread from a store bought sandwich loaf. Slice each piece into 2 slices of the same size as the original piece (just thinner) with a large serrated bread knife; that makes 30 slices of bread at 2.2 g carbs each.

Yield: 30 slices
1 serving
127.6 calories
6.1 g protein
10.2 g fat
2.2 g carbs

Helpful Hints: For the barbecue, we butter the bread on the cut sides, place thinly sliced tomato, thinly sliced onion and cheese on one unbuttered side and top with the other half, buttered side to the outside. Place above or on the grill, depending on your barbecue towards the end of the time it takes to barbecue the meat. Close lid and check on them frequently. Use a flat, metal lifter to turn very carefully, supporting the top, to do other side. Sometimes I add some roasted chicken (and bacon done on the grill) and mayonnaise and that makes a meal on its own. Place the slices of bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator; lasts 2 weeks. Freeze for longer storage.

Note: After refrigeration this bread becomes more dense and less bread-like due to the cream cheese content. Nuke one slice about 12 seconds, depending on your microwave oven, and you’re ready to make a sandwich as it becomes like freshly baked bread. This step is not necessary before toasting the bread.

Gluten-Free Bake Mix Recipe

12/3 cups almond flour, (400 mL)
(I use almond meal, i.e. ground sliced
almonds versus almond flour)
3/4 cup certified gluten-free oat flour (175 ml)
2 tbsp coconut flour, (30 mL)
(Bob’s Red Mill,® OR Aloha Nu®)
3/4 tsp xanthan gum (3 mL)

In large bowl, combine almond flour, oat flour (if you are intolerant to gluten-free oat flour then substitute another gluten-free flour), coconut flour and xanthan gum. In container with airtight lid, place bake mix and shake the container well to combine. When measuring oat flour (not necessary with the other ingredients) into measuring cup, make sure to tap the cup on the counter top and fill to the top to get the correct yield for the bake mix. Keep bake mix at room temperature for up to one month or freeze for much longer storage.

Instructions: Substitute 1/4 cup (60 mL) additional bake mix when substituting for 1 cup (250 mL) or more than 1 cup (250 mL) flour in recipes and use 2 tbsp (30 mL) more if substituting for less than 1 cup (250 mL). Always begin by adding an extra egg in muffins, cakes, coffeecakes and loaves (except for cookies most times as it can change the texture) and withholding about half the liquid/wet/fat ingredients and adding in as necessary. If the batter after processing at least a minute is still very thick, add more of the liquid ingredients and if accidentally the batter ends up too sloppy, then add a little more bake mix. If all the liquid has been used and the batter is still stiff, add another egg and another if necessary. Baking experience is helpful. Coconut flour needs eggs.

This bake mix is great in muffins, loaves, cookies, donuts, coffeecakes, many cakes, pie crusts and a few other specialized applications, but will not be suitable for all applications, nor for most yeast applications. Xanthan gum has gluten-like properties and it binds ingredients together preventing crumbly outcomes. Cookies: bake a couple and see how they turn out before adding another egg.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

sandwich bread

This is great bread, sometimes I sub Oat Fibre for the oat flour in the mix also!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
My mom is gluten free and she likes the Udi brand.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Laurie beat me to it!! I need to eat gluten free due to an intestinal disorder and my favorite ready to purchase breads was Udi brand. Bagels and bread.

But when I gained weight from all the rice flour, tapioca and potato starches used in gluten free products, I decided to make my own gluten free items. I use Jennifer Eloff's gluten free mix for baked goods, wraps, tortillas, and bread. The sandwich bread Laurie posted is yummy. I also make her glazed lemon loaf and her English muffins. It is also cheaper to make it yourself. I make half a batch of most recipes and freeze stuff.

I made Maria's Reese's peanut donuts (on her website) and put grape jelly in the hole. I had a yummy PB and J donut.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-26-2012 at 03:57 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chona View Post
FYI, Ezekiel isn't GF. If you're GF, like me, you have to really stick to only GF breads, like UDI's or Chebe (mix, but excellent). The latter is the best for pizza dough and even rolls. You can buy it in most regular grocery stores. Good Luck!
Thank you but I do not avoid gluten.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
There is a bakery in La Jolla, CA I used to order from...you can google it, I'm sure. Trader Joe's also has brown rice breads and other breads made from gluten free grains. They aren't bad...just heavier than regular bread.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cl2gas_1
Stats: 258/254/225 1st goal
WOE: JUDDD 3/26/12
Start Date: 12/20/ 03
We get Udi's for my DH.. But he really likes Rudi's bread..GF and only 90 calories.. Very good. My DH is a retired bread baker.. other then making his own he likes this one. Last week at Walmart near the GF mixes.. we found a Shar bread and rolls.. About $5 .. It is a german co. that makes it . It was previously frozen.. so cannot be refrozen.. He made great french toast and the best grilled cheese.. Good find.. for him..
cl2gas_1 is offline   Reply With Quote