Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My friend had angioplasty (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752954-my-friend-had-angioplasty.html)

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:34 PM

My friend had angioplasty

She's home now. Had to be taken to the hospital with chest pain Saturday, and they found blockage in a vessel somewhere behind her heart. The angioplasty procedure went well, and she's back home and resting.

She's been low carb overall and slim for years and years and years. I don't ever remember her overweight. I somehow thought that her low carb diet would be protective against any clogged vessels for her. I'm just shocked that this happened. She's only just past 70 years old.

I'm sad about this. I guess we're all sort of an experiment as to diet and long term health anyway, and few of us have been on any particular single diet at all over enough years to grow old on it to see how the final outcome turns out, but I thought she should have clear vessels the way she ate. :cry:

KeirasMom 01-09-2012 12:46 PM

I'm sending good energy to you and to your friend. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Hug your family extra tight today. I will do the same with mine.

Dottie 01-09-2012 12:48 PM

Glad she's ok. It sounds like they caught it before it did too much damage.

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15311941)
Glad she's ok. It sounds like they caught it before it did too much damage.

We all think it was a good think she had a week or two of a little chest pain and then went to the hospital. The pain was always transient and once it went away, she didn't think anything more about it. Finally her DH said she had to go to the ER at 3:00 am. :laugh:

But now she doesn't know what to do, how to eat, whether she has to go on meds, which she has not been on anything... I know how confused she must be. I suppose she will listen to her doctor. It's scary. :sad:

SillverOrchid 01-09-2012 01:15 PM

:aprayer: to your friend! :hugs:

kel7298 01-09-2012 01:19 PM

We think we are doing all the "right" things and bam! I am so glad your friend is ok Pat

lil miss 01-09-2012 01:20 PM

Oh I am so sorry! Glad she is ok!

SoHappy 01-09-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel7298 (Post 15312031)
We think we are doing all the "right" things and bam! I am so glad your friend is ok Pat

I know. I'm so sad and really confused about it too. She had a good long brisk walk every morning. Took the dog and went for several miles. I could hardly keep up with her.

Ate well. Low carb. Plenty of protein and fats. Very, very easy on any of the foods that are considered No-Nos by most folks here.

I guess there are no guarantees. :sad: But she's doing well, so I think we're going to be friends for a long while yet. And I guess any of us could be gone by morning, so live it well at every moment!

Kissa 01-09-2012 01:50 PM

:aprayer: for your friend Pat.

Truly there is no magic path. We can only do our best.

dasiey 01-09-2012 02:11 PM

I agree we can only do our best.

But I am so glad your friend is well
and at home.

mattsmama 01-09-2012 03:28 PM

You are a wonderful, loving friend, Pat. Best wishes and prayers for her speedy recovery.

SoHappy 01-09-2012 03:45 PM

Thanks, JUDDD BUDDDs. I'll be able to visit with her with a phone call later this evening, and I think I'll feel better. I worry. :laugh:

mayleesa 01-09-2012 03:59 PM

as a nurse who has seen perfectly healthy people undergo surgery for events like this...i have to think that at 70, and i've seen people undergo this procedure at a MUCH younger age, that it could have been easily more than one vessel and it's because of the healthy lifestyle she has chosen she has a lesser fate....not to downplay AT ALL the surgery and procedure she underwent, i'm highlighting the fact that for her to only have ONE vessel blocked is awesome!....i'm soo sorry for her to have to go through it, but i'm glad she is ok!!! I've seen WAY younger with WAY more sever prognosis and they didn't take care of themselves which got them to that point!! Good luck to her!! speedy recovery!!

gotsomeold 01-09-2012 04:32 PM

Oh golly, Pat, give her a big hug as soon as you can.

kris4chloe 01-09-2012 04:35 PM

Very sorry for your friend, but like others have stated, I am glad they were able to catch it and I bet the fact that she has been active probably was to her benefit.

SoHappy 01-09-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayleesa (Post 15312547)
as a nurse who has seen perfectly healthy people undergo surgery for events like this...i have to think that at 70, and i've seen people undergo this procedure at a MUCH younger age, that it could have been easily more than one vessel and it's because of the healthy lifestyle she has chosen she has a lesser fate....not to downplay AT ALL the surgery and procedure she underwent, i'm highlighting the fact that for her to only have ONE vessel blocked is awesome!....i'm soo sorry for her to have to go through it, but i'm glad she is ok!!! I've seen WAY younger with WAY more sever prognosis and they didn't take care of themselves which got them to that point!! Good luck to her!! speedy recovery!!

Thank you. I hadn't thought of it that way, so perhaps this is actually good news.. only one blockage found and now taken care of. That's a good outcome. Thanks.

sazzie 01-09-2012 05:01 PM

Am sorry to hear about your friend, Pat.

She was doing her best to stay healthy, and I'm sure she will find her way again.

pjsam1156 01-09-2012 05:09 PM

So sorry about your friend, Pat. Sending many :aprayer: her way for a speedy recovery. But, I guess what mayleesa said is true: it most likely could have been much worse and much sooner if she hadn't taken such good care of herself all these years.:hugs:

2BoysMom 01-09-2012 05:15 PM

I know this is scary for you and your friend....but I think Mayleesa has an excellent point! This could just be genetics in play, and had she not taken such great care of herself this could have been much earlier or much more severe.

Still, hope she is on a healing path very, very soon!

SoHappy 01-09-2012 05:35 PM

Thanks all for your supportive posts. Just got off the phone with her, and she sounds really good, just tired, and said she feels well. So we'll be getting together shortly again and having a fun time. Glad she's OK.

Beeb 01-09-2012 05:49 PM

Got your friend in my :aprayer: and my thought about her healthy WOE/WOL is that it may have saved her life in the long run. So many factors play into why someone gets sick or doesn't but she got to it, it seems, in time and because of her healthy habits will give herself many more years to hang out with her caring friend Pat! :up::clap:

Thinking of you, too, Miss Pat! :console:

SoHappy 01-09-2012 05:51 PM

Thanks, Linda.

julietcc 01-09-2012 06:43 PM

I'm happy to hear she is OK! She's lucky she didn't wait to long to go to the hospital and she's very lucky to have a friend like you.

sophiethecat 01-09-2012 06:54 PM

So sorry about your friend, Pat! :console:

I was also gonna say, who knows if things wouldn't have been so much worse if she hadn't taken care of herself like she did?

Hoping for all the best for her and a speedy recovery!