Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #361
Why wait, just do it NOW!
 
Beeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A REAL Jersey Girl!!
Posts: 12,062
Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Happy to report that I was back to 133.8 this morning after a good DD yesterday. I am still a bit under the weather but know I'll be feeling better each day forward!

So happy to see all the losses and clothing "wows" from everyone! WTG you guys!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #362
Major LCF Poster!
 
mykidsteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,170
Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Good to see Beeb. Hope you are 100% very quickly.

I agree, this is such an upbeat, supportive and motivating forum. It's great!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #363
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
julietcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Orange County
Posts: 4,221
Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Congrats, Kristi and Laurie!!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!
 
itsmeshelly01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 1,619
Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
Congrats everyone!!! I love this thread!

I just wanted to do a quick drive by this morning before getting ready for work. Mondays have been tough gaining tons of water with trying out the carbs and i have almost been about to give up but i have hung in there and so happy to report that i was only 147.6 this morning instead of 150 like i have been for the past 2 mondays. This is exciting news to me that my body is finally starting to adjust to the added carbs. I was 144.8 sat morning so to have a 3lb gain from the weekend isnt bad. Im starting off at a new low for a monday so hopefully by sat morning i will be at a new low for the week. Keep your fingers crossed. Looking forward to a great DD today!!!
__________________
New grandbaby! Life is good!<img src=images/smilies/hugs_2011.gif border=0 alt= title=Hugs class=inlineimg />
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,820
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Congratulations to everyone for having such great success!

As of today, I am on Day 7 and have had some major stress factors that have kept me out of balance. However, as of this morning I have lost almost 3 lbs!!!

I have 2 questions for all of you pros! Is it important on DD, to wait and eat later in the day? The way my schedule is, it is easiest to have an early lunch (11 am) at approx 200 cal & then a 300 cal dinner at 5. Also, is it best to have Fat free DD? Or is fat just fine?

Looking back at my last 7 days, I had 2 DD and 1 MD & they were all 60 to 70% fat! Protein was close to 25%. Just trying to figure out if my love of fat may wreck me!
__________________
""Nutrient hunger can cause weight loss to plateau and reverse, even if the diet does not change."--Paul Jaminet
I guess I am a little weird, I like to talk to animals.
.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #366
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MintQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Salalah, Oman
Posts: 4,383
Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I have 2 questions for all of you pros! Is it important on DD, to wait and eat later in the day? The way my schedule is, it is easiest to have an early lunch (11 am) at approx 200 cal & then a 300 cal dinner at 5. Also, is it best to have Fat free DD? Or is fat just fine?

There's no reason to wait to eat later on a DD - it's just some of us find it easier to not eat until later in the day.
There are no rules about what to eat - just the number of calories!!

Congratulations and keep up the good work!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
dazygyrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,867
Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher
Paleo Banana Bread:
3 eggs separated
4 tbsp honey
4 tbsp olive oil
2 mashed bananas
1tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups almond flour

Oven 350*
Cream egg yolks and honey in large bowl until light and fluffy.
Add, remaining ingredients (except egg whites) and combine well.
In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
Fold egg whites into batter 1/3 at a time

You can make this as bread by greasing a loaf pan with coconut or olive oil and baking for 40-45 minutes.


made this with noah last night.

with some tweaks.

i don't like doing the whole egg separating thing, so i just mixed everything together. lol!

for the flour, i used: 1 c almond flour, 1/2 c carbquick, 1/2 c oat flour

a little added sweetener, ezsweets

and slightly more baking powder

oh, and MCT (liquid coconut) oil instead of olive.

-------------

this turned out SOOOO awesome!! thank you, again for the recipe!
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #368
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Congratulations to everyone for having such great success!

As of today, I am on Day 7 and have had some major stress factors that have kept me out of balance. However, as of this morning I have lost almost 3 lbs!!!

I have 2 questions for all of you pros! Is it important on DD, to wait and eat later in the day? The way my schedule is, it is easiest to have an early lunch (11 am) at approx 200 cal & then a 300 cal dinner at 5. Also, is it best to have Fat free DD? Or is fat just fine?

Looking back at my last 7 days, I had 2 DD and 1 MD & they were all 60 to 70% fat! Protein was close to 25%. Just trying to figure out if my love of fat may wreck me!
Wonderful!

No, you don't have to wait to eat on DD, but many of us do that in order not to stoke the appetite too early in the day. Especially those of us who can easily skip breakfast. We will drink coffee, tea, broth, etc, and then eat at noon or later. Some even get by until dinner on just drinks or very little food.

If you are able to stick to your DD calories and include fat, then it sounds like you're doing well. I usually have some fat on DD in the form of whole milk plain yogurt, maybe some cream cheese, or a little evoo in salad or on a sandwich. I focus on protein since that helps fill me up, and round it out with veggies.
__________________
Started JUDDD 10/12/11 after LC.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #369
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
138# today.

Total surprise because I felt like I was heavier than that since it's tom and since I've had 3 FDs in a row (and another one today). However, I've done IF almost each day by not starting to eat until 14 - 15 or more hours have passed since I ate the night before.

Tomorrow will be a real DD because my schedule will finally allow it. I'm looking forward to it and need to go to the grocery store for another bag of coleslaw mix for frying with protein.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #370
Major LCF Poster!
 
mykidsteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,170
Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Nothing really to report here. Down to 131 after the DD yesterday (was hoping for 130 again, but it'll come).

Collecting saliva for a cortisol test today, so even though it's an UD, I have a few restrictions--the worst is I can't have my decaf coffee or tea. So herbal tea and water only for me today. No cruciferous veggies either, so my lunch salad will need tweaking.

Going to try a Walk Away the Pounds video today.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #371
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Lot of good posts here.

We were gone all weekend so I didn't get to come back and give my report as we left right after I got up, weighed and got dressed Saturday morning.

Scale went down -4.4 Sat after my great DD on Friday. Sat was a controlled but very pleasant UD which included pizza and wine! Scale was back up 3 Sunday. bouncy-bouncy, right? We had a birthday dinner to attend last night at a restaurant. I had not eaten all day except for half and half in my coffee. I was happy to see the menu last night included calories for every entree! I chose a small sirloin steak and huge side of steamed brocolli for 260 calories and had hot tea and water to drink.

Was hoping for another big drop this morning, but only -.2

Dang.

I keep waiting to be able to change my stats. However, looking back at more than a month that I've been doing this WOE, I've been staying within a 5 pound range. Just going up and down within the range.

I've tried lowering my DD calories, lowering my UD calories, increasing my DD calories while lowering my UD calories. Tried limiting carbs and freely enjoying carbs. Lots of tweaks. But my body just seems to like hanging around between 197 and 201 right now.

The happiest thing is that my clothes fit great!! All those new size 12 bling jeans and clothes I bought at Macy's are now comfortably, comfortable. Not tight. So cute. I feel great. Inches are going down but not as fast as they were at first.

So, I'm going to try a few tweaks like upping my protein grams. Coming off 4 months of LC it's just so great to have carbs that I've been eating less protein and more carbs on UDs. Just because I can!

Have to say I'm happy to have maintained on the scale and happy to be feeling so great. I suppose when my body is ready to release a few pounds, it will. I shall be patient.
__________________
Yam-Yam

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Update: It's 9 a.m. which is 3 hours after my usual 6 a.m. weigh in. Decided to step on the scale just now after several cups of coffee this morning and a trip to the bathroom. Scale down another pound after 3 hours. Funny, huh? Funny, funny scale! But I'll take it!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #373
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,883
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yam-Yam--
I often get my lowest weights in the late afternoon of a DD, or while IFing but before dinner!

I usually count my morning weight as my official one, but those aftercoffeeafterbathroom ones are sometimes more encouraging!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #374
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
MintQ8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Salalah, Oman
Posts: 4,383
Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
After eating quite a lot of the past 3 days I am only .6lb above my lowest!!

Today is going to be a good DD - max 350 or so - so I feel totally in control!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #375
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,883
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
...is it best to have Fat free DD? Or is fat just fine?

Looking back at my last 7 days, I had 2 DD and 1 MD & they were all 60 to 70% fat! Protein was close to 25%. Just trying to figure out if my love of fat may wreck me!
My blood sugar does great on 60-70% fat, so I think it can be a very healthy way to eat!

I don't think it will wreck you if it keeps you feeling full & if you can stick to your calories...personally, I have a hard time staying under 1000 calories if I don't do low-fat on DDs.

But 3lbs in a week--excellent!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #376
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,866
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Congratulations to everyone for having such great success!

As of today, I am on Day 7 and have had some major stress factors that have kept me out of balance. However, as of this morning I have lost almost 3 lbs!!!

I have 2 questions for all of you pros! Is it important on DD, to wait and eat later in the day? The way my schedule is, it is easiest to have an early lunch (11 am) at approx 200 cal & then a 300 cal dinner at 5. Also, is it best to have Fat free DD? Or is fat just fine?

Looking back at my last 7 days, I had 2 DD and 1 MD & they were all 60 to 70% fat! Protein was close to 25%. Just trying to figure out if my love of fat may wreck me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
138# today.

Total surprise because I felt like I was heavier than that since it's tom and since I've had 3 FDs in a row (and another one today). However, I've done IF almost each day by not starting to eat until 14 - 15 or more hours have passed since I ate the night before.

Tomorrow will be a real DD because my schedule will finally allow it. I'm looking forward to it and need to go to the grocery store for another bag of coleslaw mix for frying with protein.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Nothing really to report here. Down to 131 after the DD yesterday (was hoping for 130 again, but it'll come).

Collecting saliva for a cortisol test today, so even though it's an UD, I have a few restrictions--the worst is I can't have my decaf coffee or tea. So herbal tea and water only for me today. No cruciferous veggies either, so my lunch salad will need tweaking.

Going to try a Walk Away the Pounds video today.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Update: It's 9 a.m. which is 3 hours after my usual 6 a.m. weigh in. Decided to step on the scale just now after several cups of coffee this morning and a trip to the bathroom. Scale down another pound after 3 hours. Funny, huh? Funny, funny scale! But I'll take it!


With all this jumping for joy I won't need to go to the gym tomorrow.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #377
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I am extremely discouraged. Here are my weights-I weighed the day before I started -1/12 (low carb) -and weighed on every DD morning. As of this morning, my average cals are 1242.

My DDs have been under 500, but my UDs have mostly been higher than the 1710 alotted me. Saturday, I probably had at least 2500 (party, booze...) on the other days it was between 1700 and 2400.

I guess I am answering my own question-too many cals!! I just wonder if I am just not made for this type of diet. I am good at restricting, but not when I know I can eat. Coming from low carb, it's hard...

1/12-174.3-started JUDDD on 1/13
These are all weights on the morning of a DD
1/14-172.4
1/18-173.3
1/20-173 This was a MD because of the party tomorrow which was supposed to be DD
1/21-172.7
1/23-174.9

Maybe I should start a thread in the main area?
__________________
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." Auntie Mame

"If you're afraid of butter, add a little cream" Julia Child
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,883
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Sorry you are feeling discouraged!

I would ask you to think about this before quitting--do you like this way of eating? Do you hate the DDs? Would you rather count carbs than calories?

If this WOE seems doable to you, and/or more appealing than other WOEs you have tried, give it another week or so! There may be a big whoosh waiting around the corner!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #379
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
I am extremely discouraged. Here are my weights-I weighed the day before I started -1/12 (low carb) -and weighed on every DD morning. As of this morning, my average cals are 1242.

My DDs have been under 500, but my UDs have mostly been higher than the 1710 alotted me. Saturday, I probably had at least 2500 (party, booze...) on the other days it was between 1700 and 2400.

I guess I am answering my own question-too many cals!! I just wonder if I am just not made for this type of diet. I am good at restricting, but not when I know I can eat. Coming from low carb, it's hard...

1/12-174.3-started JUDDD on 1/13
These are all weights on the morning of a DD
1/14-172.4
1/18-173.3
1/20-173 This was a MD because of the party tomorrow which was supposed to be DD
1/21-172.7
1/23-174.9

Maybe I should start a thread in the main area?
Yes, I think your UD calories are too high. Eventually after you have been on JUDDD a while and your metabolism starts to do better, you may be able to do FDs, but when you are still in WLM and not seeing a loss in pounds, it would be best to stick your UD numbers as well as you can.

I had to keep to my UD numbers when I was in WLM or I too gained or maintained. My "winning numbers" were 1700-1800 in WLM. Going above these resulted in stalls and gains. Later, in maintenance, I have been able to eat freely on UDs without gain and even having losses.

HTH.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-23-2012 at 10:16 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #380
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Yes, I think you have answered your own question.

One big UD that is over the top can wipe out TWO Down Days that were pretty reasonably done. So if you are eating too far over your UD calorie number, too often... my guess is that you have found the calories for maintenance, but not for weight loss.

We do use the various calorie calculators provided by the various sites for the purpose of finding out what our maintenance level is, but knowing isn't enough if we then disregard it. There is so much focus on our DDs, on the low calories we hold to on those days, etc. but in truth, the success of our UDs is every bit as important.

If you could actually sit down and plan out your menus for your UDs, actually measure out your foods and portions, actually track your calories to make sure that the PLAN you made is being followed, you can be successful.

The worst thing that we sometimes do is eat, eat, eat... and then decide to figure out how much we had. For those who have the tendency to go overboard, planning AHEAD OF EATING is essential.

If we were doing Atkins but not bothering to pay attention and were way overeating our carbs, we wouldn't be surprised to find we were failing to lose any weight. JUDDD is the same premise, but it's calorie based, so failure to pay attention to the calories and overeating is the mistake that will cost us our success.

I'll bet that with a little more attention to your UDs, to planning out what and how much you are going to be eating on those days, you will find weight loss is happening for you just like it is for so many here. It's a very simple plan, but it won't work when you aren't really doing it. Good luck in adapting to the little changes JUDDD needs to give you great weight loss. It's so worth it!
__________________
Best wishes, Pat
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #381
Major LCF Poster!
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,336
Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Sophie I'll keep on it for a while. I counted cals for years, no stranger to it. Enjoyed LC except when I missed bread or potatoes. Not a big sweet eater, but I do like my wine...

Pat I weigh, measure, and journal everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, usually as I go through the day.I don't plan menus ahead any more, just hubby and me, but I always know what kind of protein we will be having, and work around that. I know what to do-I just have to do it.

Jenny Yes, I hate the DDs, but they might be getting easier...it's only a week and a half, after all. Still figuring things out...I have done low carb since 2003.

I still will have to decide if I can deal with the real hunger I feel during DDs, compared with relative freedom on the UDs. I am tending to stick to my low carb for the UDs, so things are not all that different-except of course for the TOO MANY CALORIES...

However, and this is just a question, wouldn't my average calories be in the weight loss area? I know on LC I lost-for a while at least-on between 1400 and 1500 cals a day, and places like WW, etc. say anything below 1200 is too little, or doesn't that compute for this diet....

Last edited by Scotty; 01-23-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #382
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
After eating quite a lot of the past 3 days I am only .6lb above my lowest!!

Today is going to be a good DD - max 350 or so - so I feel totally in control!
Just read this in Johnson's book:

"...it probably only takes skipping a meal to increase our SIRT1 levels. ...it has been shown that a 24 hour fast activates S-1 and that increased activity is still measurable more than 24 hours after the end of the fast...After following the Alternate Day Diet for several weeks and then stopping, their (asthmatics) symptoms remained improved for approximately 10 - 14 days, suggesting that S-1 was still active and its downstream effects were still operating. .." Then he talks about it's GRADUAL decline over time (with emphases on the word gradual).

I think that explains it! That's why JUDD is so forgiving! It's why I spent a week in Florida and had several DDs that turned into waaaaaaayyyy up UDs and still, at the end of the week I had only gained 1.8. And, it came right back off when I got home.

Re-reading the book right now. First time was to get the gist of it. Now the reasoning and research behind it is sinking in.

In reading about how the SIRT1 protein works once activated, I understand! It basically sends a message to our bodies on DD that says "Hey! This body is not taking in enough calories. That means ANY calories that are taken in MUST be used for the exertion of energy and NOT STORED AS FAT!"

Since S-1 gets activated and stays activated for 24 hours after a fast, on an UD all that food gets used as energy and not stored as fat as well. Our bodies have effectively turned off the fat storage mechanism as long as S-1 is activated.

Johnson has an illustration in the book of DD's accumulating in a bucket with the S-1 gene activating the fat blocking protein pouring into it. As you stack DD upon DD every other day, the gene and subsequent protein that tells the body to use up newly consumed food for energy and not store it builds up until there is a surplus.

That's why there are so many stories in the book and examples on this LCF site about people who "go off plan" for a while and don't gain. Get it? I'm starting to!!!

That's also why sticking to the plan for a while is imperative. The more DDs we accumulate, the higher the reserve of the SIRT1 gene activated fat blocking energy/metabolism stimulating protein.

2012 should be a good year as Dr. J thinks some of the research and control studies they are conducting will result in more info and even products introduced to the public. Cool, huh?

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 01-23-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #383
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Sorry, one more thought: That also explains why doing 2 or more DDs in a row (ongoing fasts) are not good. It's the re-feed on UDs that prevent our bodies from going into the much dreaded much over-talked about "starvation mode". Which, by the way may be a myth. However, that said, I can understand that an on going fast would de-activate the S-1 gene and our bodies would get the message to conserve energy and slow up the metabolism. I think that's probably what the starvation mode hype is all about.

OK, information junkie over and out!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #384
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Yep, this is awesome stuff, Yam Yam! I'm an info junkie too. This kind of info will help others to understand what's going on and why JUDDD is done the way it is, and provide motivation!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 01-23-2012 at 12:15 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #385
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,866
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Just read this in Johnson's book:

"...it probably only takes skipping a meal to increase our SIRT1 levels. ...it has been shown that a 24 hour fast activates S-1 and that increased activity is still measurable more than 24 hours after the end of the fast...After following the Alternate Day Diet for several weeks and then stopping, their (asthmatics) symptoms remained improved for approximately 10 - 14 days, suggesting that S-1 was still active and its downstream effects were still operating. .." Then he talks about it's GRADUAL decline over time (with emphases on the word gradual).

I think that explains it! That's why JUDD is so forgiving! It's why I spent a week in Florida and had several DDs that turned into waaaaaaayyyy up UDs and still, at the end of the week I had only gained 1.8. And, it came right back off when I got home.

Re-reading the book right now. First time was to get the gist of it. Now the reasoning and research behind it is sinking in.

In reading about how the SIRT1 protein works once activated, I understand! It basically sends a message to our bodies on DD that says "Hey! This body is not taking in enough calories. That means ANY calories that are taken in MUST be used for the exertion of energy and NOT STORED AS FAT!"

Since S-1 gets activated and stays activated for 24 hours after a fast, on an UD all that food gets used as energy and not stored as fat as well. Our bodies have effectively turned off the fat storage mechanism as long as S-1 is activated.

Johnson has an illustration in the book of DD's accumulating in a bucket with the S-1 gene activating the fat blocking protein pouring into it. As you stack DD upon DD every other day, the gene and subsequent protein that tells the body to use up newly consumed food for energy and not store it builds up until there is a surplus.

That's why there are so many stories in the book and examples on this LCF site about people who "go off plan" for a while and don't gain. Get it? I'm starting to!!!

That's also why sticking to the plan for a while is imperative. The more DDs we accumulate, the higher the reserve of the SIRT1 gene activated fat blocking energy/metabolism stimulating protein.

2012 should be a good year as Dr. J thinks some of the research and control studies they are conducting will result in more info and even products introduced to the public. Cool, huh?


I am eating along with Vicky so I too ate a a lot over 3 days. Enjoying today's DD. Feel bloated after our cabbage stir fry.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #386
WWC
Senior LCF Member
 
WWC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 155
Gallery: WWC
Stats: size 14/size 14/size 10
WOE: high protein/lowcarb/JUDDD
Start Date: recommitted 1/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsgoddess View Post
Sophie I'll keep on it for a while. I counted cals for years, no stranger to it. Enjoyed LC except when I missed bread or potatoes. Not a big sweet eater, but I do like my wine...

Pat I weigh, measure, and journal everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, usually as I go through the day.I don't plan menus ahead any more, just hubby and me, but I always know what kind of protein we will be having, and work around that. I know what to do-I just have to do it.

Jenny Yes, I hate the DDs, but they might be getting easier...it's only a week and a half, after all. Still figuring things out...I have done low carb since 2003.

I still will have to decide if I can deal with the real hunger I feel during DDs, compared with relative freedom on the UDs. I am tending to stick to my low carb for the UDs, so things are not all that different-except of course for the TOO MANY CALORIES...

However, and this is just a question, wouldn't my average calories be in the weight loss area? I know on LC I lost-for a while at least-on between 1400 and 1500 cals a day, and places like WW, etc. say anything below 1200 is too little, or doesn't that compute for this diet....
On another thread we were talking about difficulties with UDs. Certainly counting calories was noted to be important, but I think the other thing to remember is that your UD is a time to refuel you body. It is as much an important tool as the down day. I expect to get to a point when I'm comfortable adding some wine and the occasional sugary indulgence. However, for weight loss, I am going to save most my UD calories for fuel--good fuel, yummy fuel, but fuel. Do you think that would work for you?
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #387
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Gracie514's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,209
Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Just read this in Johnson's book:

"...it probably only takes skipping a meal to increase our SIRT1 levels. ...it has been shown that a 24 hour fast activates S-1 and that increased activity is still measurable more than 24 hours after the end of the fast...After following the Alternate Day Diet for several weeks and then stopping, their (asthmatics) symptoms remained improved for approximately 10 - 14 days, suggesting that S-1 was still active and its downstream effects were still operating. .." Then he talks about it's GRADUAL decline over time (with emphases on the word gradual).

I think that explains it! That's why JUDD is so forgiving! It's why I spent a week in Florida and had several DDs that turned into waaaaaaayyyy up UDs and still, at the end of the week I had only gained 1.8. And, it came right back off when I got home.

Re-reading the book right now. First time was to get the gist of it. Now the reasoning and research behind it is sinking in.

In reading about how the SIRT1 protein works once activated, I understand! It basically sends a message to our bodies on DD that says "Hey! This body is not taking in enough calories. That means ANY calories that are taken in MUST be used for the exertion of energy and NOT STORED AS FAT!"

Since S-1 gets activated and stays activated for 24 hours after a fast, on an UD all that food gets used as energy and not stored as fat as well. Our bodies have effectively turned off the fat storage mechanism as long as S-1 is activated.

Johnson has an illustration in the book of DD's accumulating in a bucket with the S-1 gene activating the fat blocking protein pouring into it. As you stack DD upon DD every other day, the gene and subsequent protein that tells the body to use up newly consumed food for energy and not store it builds up until there is a surplus.

That's why there are so many stories in the book and examples on this LCF site about people who "go off plan" for a while and don't gain. Get it? I'm starting to!!!

That's also why sticking to the plan for a while is imperative. The more DDs we accumulate, the higher the reserve of the SIRT1 gene activated fat blocking energy/metabolism stimulating protein.

2012 should be a good year as Dr. J thinks some of the research and control studies they are conducting will result in more info and even products introduced to the public. Cool, huh?
I hope you don't mind but I copied this for in my journal. This is a fantastic post that explains JUDDD so well!!!
Gracie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!
 
theredhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 2,571
Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/147/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 View Post
Congrats everyone!!! I love this thread!

I just wanted to do a quick drive by this morning before getting ready for work. Mondays have been tough gaining tons of water with trying out the carbs and i have almost been about to give up but i have hung in there and so happy to report that i was only 147.6 this morning instead of 150 like i have been for the past 2 mondays. This is exciting news to me that my body is finally starting to adjust to the added carbs. I was 144.8 sat morning so to have a 3lb gain from the weekend isnt bad. Im starting off at a new low for a monday so hopefully by sat morning i will be at a new low for the week. Keep your fingers crossed. Looking forward to a great DD today!!!
Shelley, you're just behind me a few weeks, I think, and our stats are/were similar. I was happy to be at 144 each Saturday for three or four weeks, and was still gaining up as high as 150 after big eating weekends. However, the weekend before last, I watched the UD calories a little closer and ended up losing weight last week. I really think the weight swings DO calm down, and the weight will continue to come off even if you go overboard a bit here and there. Of course, I've said it before, but I'll reiterate that those DDs are super-important. I'm glad to see you're doing well.
__________________
Laurie
5'7" female, 56 yo
DH has lost 90 pounds
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #389
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie514 View Post
I hope you don't mind but I copied this for in my journal. This is a fantastic post that explains JUDDD so well!!!
Yay! sometimes I worry about getting excited over information that has finally clicked for me and that I will bore people or be a page hog! But for me, it helps to keep me motivated when I start to understand why/how things work. So glad you found my post helpful and can use it.
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #390
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Yam-Yam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,311
Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post


I am eating along with Vicky so I too ate a a lot over 3 days. Enjoying today's DD. Feel bloated after our cabbage stir fry.
Bring on the SIRT1 ----- I'll have a double!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.