Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Thin N Trim Chicken Sausage (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/752944-thin-n-trim-chicken-sausage.html)

Beeb 01-09-2012 11:27 AM

Thin N Trim Chicken Sausage

I bought these yesterday because they are low in calories (70 cals for a 2 oz link), BUT they are also 0 carbs and I thought you guys would be interested in them.

Great product and the taste is just amazing! They have all kinds of sausage PLUS chicken hot dogs, too and there are no nitrates or crazy ingredients in these products.

Not sure if it's a regional product, but google their site and check them out! :up::clap:

Dottie 01-09-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks Linda! I was looking for acceptable sausage for DD's. 4oz and some cabbage under 200cals sounds pretty good!:)

SoHappy 01-09-2012 11:58 AM

I'll look around here for them. I just checked the label on a package of fresh bulk pork sausage I have on hand... 190 calories for just 2 oz... so quite a difference. Now I realize that some of the fat cooks out of it, and I don't eat that, but still... It's definitely an UD food. But at 70 cals, I could see working a link into a DD meal for the great flavor it brings.

Editing: The more I think of this, the more I'm getting hungry for a crustless quiche with this sausage and some mushrooms, spinach, onion.....

Dottie 01-09-2012 12:03 PM

aww not in Texas.
I do get Johnsonville 50% less fat turkey smoked sausages that are 110cals per link, but have 4g carbs. Not bad, but a lot of additives I'm trying to avoid on a "daily basis".

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15311781)
aww not in Texas.
I do get Johnsonville 50% less fat turkey smoked sausages that are 110cals per link, but have 4g carbs. Not bad, but a lot of additives I'm trying to avoid on a "daily basis".

That's about how I'm trying to handle my daily food choices too, Dottie. This ^^^ is a good way to put it. Once-in-awhile, OK. Probably when I eat out or over at the home of friend. But overall at home I try to keep foods with additives that wouldn't normally be in the homemade version of that food to as scant as possible. Like you put it. Trying to avoid the additives on a daily basis.

ouizoid 01-09-2012 12:08 PM

sounds great Linda! not in Cali tho :(

if you have a trader joes near you, their jalapeno chicken sausage is 100 cals per large link and fantastic--each link is 2 oz and 2 carbs/11 g protein

Dottie 01-09-2012 12:10 PM

Pat I've been giving a lot of thought to buying an inexpensive meat grinder/sausage maker for that very reason lol. It seems like a lot of work though! My lazy self is saying "meh, you only eat sausage a couple times a month" and my thinking self is arguing that "yes dippy but you always gain 2-3lbs of water from it!". We'll see who wins lol :D

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15311810)
Pat I've been giving a lot of thought to buying an inexpensive meat grinder/sausage maker for that very reason lol. It seems like a lot of work though! My lazy self is saying "meh, you only eat sausage a couple times a month" and my thinking self is arguing that "yes dippy but you always gain 2-3lbs of water from it!". We'll see who wins lol :D

Hey! I never thought about making it myself. I have my mother's old grinder. The kind you tighten onto your counter or the edge of a table and then keep feeding in little chunks of whatever while you keep turning the handle. I actually use it occasionally when I want to grind up some leftover cooked meat to turn into a meat spread/filling for crackers or sandwiches, etc. I think you can only find these in antique shops these days. Very old-fashioned and outmoded. :laugh:

If I started with raw chicken breast and a sausage seasoning recipe that was tasty, wouldn't you think that I could just form it into chicken sausage patties? Hmmmm.... would I need something else to make it all stick together?

Dottie 01-09-2012 12:22 PM

All the recipes I see use egg whites as a binder:)
And I have a black, cast iron grinder that was my great grandmothers, too lol. She had a tall step stool, wooden, that she would attach it to so she could sit and grind :)
It was a pain in the butt to clean though lol.

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15311857)
All the recipes I see use egg whites as a binder:)
And I have a black, cast iron grinder that was my great grandmothers, too lol. She had a tall step stool, wooden, that she would attach it to so she could sit and grind :)
It was a pain in the butt to clean though lol.

LOL

Yeah, our ancestors weren't a bunch of sissies, that's for sure! They worked hard.

OK, I'll add some egg white into the mix until it feels about right. Fun experiment.

Dottie 01-09-2012 12:33 PM

If you think about it, a 4oz chicken breast is only 110 calories, you could make a decent sized sausage out of that! Good train of thinking here:)
I know I like sage with chicken, salt and pepper for sure... maybe a little maple flavoring or something for a breakfast taste.
Now I have to google ideas lol :)

(Sorry Linda for the thread jack!)

SoHappy 01-09-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15311899)
If you think about it, a 4oz chicken breast is only 110 calories, you could make a decent sized sausage out of that! Good train of thinking here:)
I know I like sage with chicken, salt and pepper for sure... maybe a little maple flavoring or something for a breakfast taste.
Now I have to google ideas lol :)

(Sorry Linda for the thread jack!)

When you find a recipe you think sounds like the seasonings would make a great breakfast sausage kind of flavor, let me know! :D

sazzie 01-09-2012 05:23 PM

Thanks Linda for posting about those sausage links, but unfortunately, they are not available in Florida either.

Pami 01-09-2012 05:42 PM

1 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp caraway
1-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp cayenne powder or pepper flakes
1 tsp Montreal chicken spice (optional)
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder
3 TBS water
3 TBS oil

I found these spices, specifically for use with chicken breast, recipe says for
seasoning one pound of meat. (I have never tried this, BTW.)

SoHappy 01-09-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pami (Post 15312880)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp fennel
1 tsp caraway
1-1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp cayenne powder or pepper flakes
1 tsp Montreal chicken spice (optional)
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder
3 TBS water
3 TBS oil

I found these spices, specifically for use with chicken breast, recipe says for
seasoning one pound of meat. (I have never tried this, BTW.)

Will this recipe give it that *sausage* flavor? I don't even know what seasonings is in sausage, so wouldn't recognize it at all. LOL

But that recipe looks awfully good! Thanks!