Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Karen925
Stats: 192/mid 120's maintaining; 5'8", 49 yrs
WOE: low calorie low carb/JUDDD
Start Date: Oct 2009 low calorie/low carb
Article: The Fat Trap

An interesting article on the challenges of maintenance which appeared in the New York Times Magazine 12/28/11
The Fat Trap
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Saw that article a couple days ago and thought at the time how nice it would be if those who have reached their ideal goal weights on any plan knew about JUDDD and could use the plan to help them in their maintenance.

We see written over and over that in maintenance you can eat so very little above the number of calories it took you to lose the weight in the first place, but that's so easily taken care of in a pleasant way with JUDDD.

It's nice to be able to continue with your UD calories as high as they've ever been during weight loss, in other words.. days of full calories and no worries about what you eat, and then you just can increase your DD calories up by however many hundred you need to find your maintenance balance, which seems lavish after we've come off of the low DDs of our weight loss period.

JUDDD maintenance is not that big a deal. I wish more folks knew about it.

The other thing I've given a passing thought to is wondering whether the fasting aspect of JUDDD, which is very, very healing to the body, would return JUDDDers to a much more pre-obese physical state than other diets apparently do. The studies show us now that fasting has many, many positive and healing benefits to the body. I wonder if all that *normalizing* being done to us in the fasted state would include that.

The last thing I wondered was about metabolic rate, and how various ways of dieting seem to influence it, at least temporarily, positively or negatively. Many of us on JUDDD have kept our UD calories high, not canceling out weight loss, but our given UD calorie number, and then have even been able to increase that number some and continue losing. And we've been blessed with some nice increase in our metabolisms. I wonder (doubt) that this occurrance is seen by folks on other weight loss plans that advocate bring calorie numbers down and holding them low, day after day after day, so that every day is at least somewhat lowered in calories and none are big Up Days.

Anyway, interesting article. Thanks for posting. Are you doing well?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Pay-
Your thoughts are excatly what I find attractive about JUDDD. I have tried this WOE since middle of November, an ideal time to start a new dieting format I have found it to be very helpful and continue to follow the protocol. I do not know if I can increase my calorie count. This will take several months of observation to know.

I am also intrigued with the idea of IF helping me to with my metabolic rate. That would be a nice secondary effect and one I am not sure how I would measure.

I also was fascinated by a diet plan that works for pre/post menopausal women. If this group and lose & maintain with JUDDD, then this is isomething worth looking at for me

Keeping thin & trim is number one main goal because so much of my positive health and life style flows from it. These other benefits are icing on the cake.

I am doing well. Up over 4# from the weekend, which is still within my maintanence range. 24 hour fast today and Friday. I expect 1 or 2 days of fasting per week will take care of these up bounces from weekend traveling. If so, that would be so very nice. I have found I like fasting days which is a surprise. Not as much as feasting days to be sure but a nice addition just the same. If I could figure out how to paste my maintenance graphic in my signature, I would:-) I found this exercise very helpful in clarifying my goals both for me and my loved ones.

Pat, you are such a gift. Thank you for the time you give sharing your thoughts and experiences. Have a very blessed day.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
That was very interesting, especially the part about our body creating a new set point of calories needed to maintain and how that number was significantly lower for someone who had lost weight compared to someone who was naturally that same weight.

I would love to see if there are any studies that weight lifting exercises that help build muscle would be able to counter balance that effect?
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I keep seeing this posted everywhere as if it were new information (no offense to any of the people who have posted it!) and it puzzles me because I first read the same information at least 15 years ago. Maybe it was just dieters' observations then, that we couldn't eat much more than the dieting intake without gaining? And now it was a formal study? In either case, it's definitely true -- whatever you do to lose weight is pretty close to what you'll need to do for the rest of your life.

Good thing JUDDD is do-able forever, huh?
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I think one of the great things about JUDDD is that if we remotely attend to keeping track of our calories, our UDs over a period of time sort of *re-train* us in what a logical and normal amount of food consumption/calorie consumption for our individual selves should be. Many of us had got completely separated from how much we really should be eating, and were wa-a-a---y-y overboard from that.

And most any diet allows you to increase your calories some after you've reached goal.. else you would continue to lose beyond that. With JUDDD, when you increase some at goal, all of that increase can be added onto your previously low calorie DD, and that brings it back up to a very pleasant level of calories for many of us. So it makes maintenance quite lovely to do, very satisfying. For so many of us, DDs don't have to be all that low anymore, and coupled with our still high UDs, life is grand!

Additionally, weight loss plans that hold calories down on all days with only some variance in numbers from day to day seem to trigger a metabolic slowdown in so many of us, which is why so often weight loss slows down drastically too. So when you get to goal, there's very little wiggle room to increase cals all that much.

On JUDDD, we manage to keep metabolism up pretty well with our high UD calories, and additionally, the cycling between fasting and feasting calorie levels seems to stimulate the metabolism to work better/faster for a lot of us, so that helps us be able to eat more than we might be able to if we'd followed other weight loss plans. That's a nice thing too.

Last edited by SoHappy; 01-09-2012 at 10:09 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Thanks for reposting the article, Karen - I'd read it when someone had it on the main lobby board not long ago.

It makes me glad that on JUDDD, I don't have to worry about holding calories down day after day after day for the rest of my life. It seems after a while on JUDDD, it healed my metabolism and now I can eat higher calories on maintenance than I did on weight-loss mode without gain (and lately I've been losing).
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
It seems after a while on JUDDD, it healed my metabolism and now I can eat higher calories on maintenance than I did on weight-loss mode without gain (and lately I've been losing).
I hope to have the same happy outcome. I enjoy reading your journey.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I actually don't read articles like that, because I find them so discouraging!!!
Unless they tell me what to DO about all those hormones and stuff...supplements or medication...but usually they make me want to give up on losing weight!

Here's Gary Taubes' response, if anyone is interested
(he's looking for doctors to sign the petition):

Petition Letter to the Editor of the New York Times, in response to "The Fat Trap" (Jan 1, 2012)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I respect Taubes greatly and have both of his books (3 in fact counting the one on my iPad) with copious notes of all. I have watched numerous hours of his lectures. He makes important, salient contributions to the discussion of health. For me, last year was the year of the "carb study". This year it is the year of alternate fasting days.

However, insulin is not the complete answer, which is why I enjoyed the article. Wheat Belly makes the case, and in a way so does Taubes, that the increase in carbs, especially from wheat in Davis case, has altered some at a genetic level, perhaps in utero, through successive generations, which could result in a greater sensitivity to carbs and by extension, my thoughts, to other hormones and substances too.

Yes, I agree, the odds of succeeding at maintenance can be very discouraging. A 3-5% success rate is sobering. This is not from the article but from other sources. The author's experiences points to this difficulty. I do not think weight loss or maintenance is something to be entered into lightly. And having attained my delightful trim body, I aim to keep it.

Thus, I ultimately found the article positive and affirming: in confirming my attitude of eternal vigilance; and by weighing my food & myself each day. The hope with JUDDD, is to see my calories rise over time, to recover from higher cal/carb levels quicker, and to see the varied effects of IF on my sense of well being.

Last edited by Karen925; 01-09-2012 at 06:50 PM..